BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #2553
JScheier
Private
Rep
Drives: GTS3 BMW E36 in NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Went to High Plains to test the car today.

The two problems were a limp mode due to the brake booster vacuum pump not turning on, and power steering issues.
On the E92 GTS car, we ended up wiring the vacuum pump to a switch in the cabin to power it the entire time we were on track. Just got tired of it turning off / not turning on at all during a race. The switch was the easy button.
(unless you are me and forget to flip the switch...usually you figure it out as you are going into turn 1 at HPR, three wide, and hit the pedal).
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:58 AM   #2554
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Your rpm dependent symptoms sound like mine when my pump was going out. Also it would just stop working mid turn on track, which tried to kill me. But you put in a known good pump so that's weird.
It's weird right? Yeah, maybe a brand new pump needs to go in......
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #2555
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScheier View Post
On the E92 GTS car, we ended up wiring the vacuum pump to a switch in the cabin to power it the entire time we were on track. Just got tired of it turning off / not turning on at all during a race. The switch was the easy button.
(unless you are me and forget to flip the switch...usually you figure it out as you are going into turn 1 at HPR, three wide, and hit the pedal).
haha I bet you only forget to do that ONCE! hahahaha

Interesting solution to hard wire it. Do you ever burn out the pump because it runs constantly?

For now, the pump issue seems solved. I suspect as these cars get older, the ground just gets flaky due to so much crap going on in the engine bay with fluid sprays and spills and heat and dirt. You just need to go in and clean it up. Interestingly, Chris is getting the same limp mode. He installed a supercharger which required attaching a ground and now he's having some issues. He's going to look at ground now.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #2556
JScheier
Private
Rep

Quote:
One would think....apparently I'm a slow learner Usually takes the turn 4 braking zone before it clicks and I need to turn it on.

Quote:
Interesting solution to hard wire it. Do you ever burn out the pump because it runs constantly?
Yes, that is one of the fears. It's wired so that it's off once the master power is off. Was going to try to wire it into a measurement point on the AIM to trigger pump activation... but sold the car...so no longer an issue for us

Last edited by JScheier; 03-29-2021 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
PrimeBMW661.50
      03-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #2557
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
One would think....apparently I'm a slow learner Usually takes the turn 4 braking zone before it clicks and I need to turn it on.

Quote:
Yes, that is one of the fears. It's wired so that it's off once the master power is off. Was going to try to wire it into a measurement point on the AIM to trigger pump activation... but sold the car...so no longer an issue for us
Most of us are just used to driving a street car on track where everything is automatic. It's easy to forget until it becomes routine.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:36 AM   #2558
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
haha!

Quote:
but sold the car...so no longer an issue for us
Ah.....that's one way to solve problems I guess.....What are you in now?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #2559
JScheier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ah.....that's one way to solve problems I guess.....What are you in now?
I'm back in my S54 swapped E36 in GTS3.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 12:31 PM   #2560
JScheier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Most of us are just used to driving a street car on track where everything is automatic. It's easy to forget until it becomes routine.
It makes matters worse when you are jumping in and out of several cars....I don't need a stinkin switch in any of the other cars, just the E92.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:39 AM   #2561
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

In a supercharged Z4M we ran into terminal brake booster issues. Ended up running an aftermarket vacuum pump that is switched on whenever the car is at the track
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #2562
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
We've continued working on the power steering issues. On March 28th, I went out to the track with brand new power steering lines and hoses. Did two laps, had steering problems and left the track within an hour of arrival. On the bright side, the limp mode from the brake vacuum pump appears to be fixed now.

At the end of that very short track day, the power steering was permanently screwed. Previously, the loss of power steering would only appear when the car was hot. But after those two laps, the power steering was gone----unless----you revved the heck out of the engine and the steering loosened up.

We decided we needed a new power steering pump. So, I got a remanufactured pump. It was installed this week.

A couple things give me hope. One of the things that's been confounding everyone is that there has been no visible flow of power steering fluid in the reservoir. Either the fluid has been static in the reservoir, or it's been a gloppy movement in the reservoir----like a lava lamp. But now, with the new pump, we were looking at the fluid movement yesterday and it was flowing smoothly like a river in the reservoir---nice constant flow.

Also, at the last minute yesterday, we decided to ditch the Bimmerworld power steering reservoir and get a new stock one. The BW reservoir never solved my fluid spraying problems, so I wasn't in love with it. But it turns out there was something else to consider----the BW reservoir does not have a filter in it while the stock one does. Also, the outlet port is not at the bottom of the BW reservoir while the stock outlet port is at the center bottom, which may have some implications on how debris settles in the reservoir. So the BW reservoir is out and a new stock one is back in. We are exploring the idea of an inline filter that can be replaced because there's a fair amount of shimmering metal in there even after SEVERAL complete fluid flushes to get rid of it. The stock reservoir's filter is not replaceable.....you have to replace the whole unit.

So, I'm signed up to run at HPR tomorrow. I'm hopeful that a new pump will solve the situation. We'll see.
Appreciate 7
Bartledoo2691.50
roastbeef11586.00
Ximian1919.00
///Mobbin1478.00
slcook541863.00
Kelse921131.50
      04-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #2563
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

I learned the hard and expensive way that if you’re going to replace a power steering component you will be better served to replace everything. As parts wear they send tiny plastic and metal particles through the system, leading to a never ending goose egg hunt. Best of luck!

Quote:
We've continued working on the power steering issues. On March 28th, I went out to the track with brand new power steering lines and hoses. Did two laps, had steering problems and left the track within an hour of arrival. On the bright side, the limp mode from the brake vacuum pump appears to be fixed now.

At the end of that very short track day, the power steering was permanently screwed. Previously, the loss of power steering would only appear when the car was hot. But after those two laps, the power steering was gone----unless----you revved the heck out of the engine and the steering loosened up.

We decided we needed a new power steering pump. So, I got a remanufactured pump. It was installed this week.

A couple things give me hope. One of the things that's been confounding everyone is that there has been no visible flow of power steering fluid in the reservoir. Either the fluid has been static in the reservoir, or it's been a gloppy movement in the reservoir----like a lava lamp. But now, with the new pump, we were looking at the fluid movement yesterday and it was flowing smoothly like a river in the reservoir---nice constant flow.

Also, at the last minute yesterday, we decided to ditch the Bimmerworld power steering reservoir and get a new stock one. The BW reservoir never solved my fluid spraying problems, so I wasn't in love with it. But it turns out there was something else to consider----the BW reservoir does not have a filter in it while the stock one does. Also, the outlet port is not at the bottom of the BW reservoir while the stock outlet port is at the center bottom, which may have some implications on how debris settles in the reservoir. So the BW reservoir is out and a new stock one is back in. We are exploring the idea of an inline filter that can be replaced because there's a fair amount of shimmering metal in there even after SEVERAL complete fluid flushes to get rid of it. The stock reservoir's filter is not replaceable.....you have to replace the whole unit.

So, I'm signed up to run at HPR tomorrow. I'm hopeful that a new pump will solve the situation. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #2564
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Hopefully it works. Otherwise the next step is a cup car electric power steering pump.
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      04-10-2021, 09:22 PM   #2565
JScheier
Private
Rep

Quote:
I shall also be out there tomorrow. Black E36, #86 GTS3. Should be a silver E36 sedan with GTS3 stickers as well... I'll be in one of those two cars most of the day.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 01:21 AM   #2566
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
I am pleased to report that the car ran without issue all day today. I put the car on track 9 times. No power steering problems, no limp modes, no missed shifts. It was like old times—-the car just ran and ran and ran.

The biggest question mark of the day started when I arrived at the trailer lot and discovered that one of the trailer tires was mostly flat......has a screw in it. I have an air compressor on the truck so I decided to inflate the tire and see if it would hold air. It did. So I drove it to the track like that—was fine. While the trailer sat at the track all day, the tire lost 14 psi. I pumped it back up and drove it home. I’ll deal with it this week.

I found constant traffic on track, so the fastest I ran was a 1:51.3. That was fine. I’ll worry about lap times some other day. It just felt so good to be able to drive the car again.

This swapped engine has a bit of a different feel to it. It holds the revs longer than the old engine. So when I transition from gas to brake, the revs stay up longer than I’m used to. In some ways, I feel that it interrupts initial braking a bit. Not sure what’s going on there.

It was quite windy all day long. That wind really tosses the car around.

Anyway, DRLane was out there too with some fancy new aero. Was nice to hang out with him. Also met JScheier. Always nice to meet forum guys!

All in all, a great day. Phew.

Last edited by dogbone; 04-12-2021 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 11
redpriest2147.00
DRLane3988.50
tsk941522.00
SYT_Shadow11490.00
Kelse921131.50
slcook541863.00
Bartledoo2691.50
Exclusivs542.00
berns1564.50
Ngilbe361618.50
admranger2984.50
      04-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #2567
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Awesome to hear everything is working again. Nothing more frustrating than chasing issue and after issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #2568
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

So happy to hear everything is finally working! It is horrible to be chasing issues and feel like you're throwing good money after bad
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:47 AM   #2569
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

They say there's no such thing as a bad day at the track so long as you don't leave unexpectedly in a helicopter, but the car not working and being unable to track it down session after session after session is one of the worst feelings in the world. Good job climbing out of the "F this dumb hobby maybe I'll just play golf" hole
      04-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #2570
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

Quote:
This swapped engine has a bit of a different feel to it. It holds the revs longer than the old engine. So when I transition from gas to brake, the revs stay up longer than I’m used to. In some ways, I feel that it interrupts initial braking a bit. Not sure what’s going on there.

Did they change something about how the bypass valve is plumbed? I vaguely recall something about that during the motor swap. If it’s not properly opening and relieving boost you will get that “run on” feel when you lift.

Super exciting that the car is back to normal. I finally got my car back together yesterday and couldn’t make it out of the neighborhood without our good friend mastervac plausibility limp mode. Plot twist: my pump is running, wiring is all good. Ordered another pump and hose/sensor. Don’t have any time to diagnose it so I’m just throwing the kitchen sink in and hoping it resolves it.
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      04-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #2571
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Awesome to hear everything is working again. Nothing more frustrating than chasing issue and after issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
So happy to hear everything is finally working! It is horrible to be chasing issues and feel like you're throwing good money after bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
They say there's no such thing as a bad day at the track so long as you don't leave unexpectedly in a helicopter, but the car not working and being unable to track it down session after session after session is one of the worst feelings in the world. Good job climbing out of the "F this dumb hobby maybe I'll just play golf" hole
Thanks guys. Felt so good to be back in the car putting laps down again. I made it a point drive every session.

Once I knew the car was working, I wanted to concentrate on suspension feel. The stiff wind doesn't help in that department. But I was liking the softer 11k/630lbs rear springs----definitely feels better than the 13k. I feel like I can toss the car around and know that the rear will hold. Maybe some day I will try 10k just to see, but for now, I plan on moving forward with the 11k.

hehe there's such a thing as a bad day at the track when you never get any laps in day after day after day!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #2572
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
Did they change something about how the bypass valve is plumbed? I vaguely recall something about that during the motor swap. If it’s not properly opening and relieving boost you will get that “run on” feel when you lift.

Super exciting that the car is back to normal. I finally got my car back together yesterday and couldn’t make it out of the neighborhood without our good friend mastervac plausibility limp mode. Plot twist: my pump is running, wiring is all good. Ordered another pump and hose/sensor. Don’t have any time to diagnose it so I’m just throwing the kitchen sink in and hoping it resolves it.
Not sure if the plumbing is exactly the same. But I am trying to get a copy of the VF install instructions to see if they can shed any light on it.

Sorry to hear limp mode/mastervac is continuing..... Weird that we both got hit by this at the same time. Hope all the new parts solve it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #2573
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Your story reminds me of when I bought a "good" 2.8 motor to put in my E36M3 race car to move it to J-prepared. Had valve cover leaks on my first test day so packed it in. Installed a new valve cover gasket and felt ready to race at Phoenix. Towed down there and the same thing at the track. Put on a new/used valve cover and same thing. Packed up and towed home. Sent engine off for rebuild. It was a hot mess inside with improper ring gaps (never disclosed by seller) and a sump full of aluminum shavings. Fortunately, I was going up to the next size pistons so the block was saved. Thought about chucking it all after the problems but fortunately wiser folks talked me out of it.

I can definitely relate to your frustrations. Glad it worked out.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      04-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #2574
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Your story reminds me of when I bought a "good" 2.8 motor to put in my E36M3 race car to move it to J-prepared. Had valve cover leaks on my first test day so packed it in. Installed a new valve cover gasket and felt ready to race at Phoenix. Towed down there and the same thing at the track. Put on a new/used valve cover and same thing. Packed up and towed home. Sent engine off for rebuild. It was a hot mess inside with improper ring gaps (never disclosed by seller) and a sump full of aluminum shavings. Fortunately, I was going up to the next size pistons so the block was saved. Thought about chucking it all after the problems but fortunately wiser folks talked me out of it.

I can definitely relate to your frustrations. Glad it worked out.
Yeah that sounded brutal.

I'm going to be faced with a dilemma----I'm rebuilding the E90 engine. Not making it crazy, but it will be a refreshed engine. The question is do I do the swap again and put it back in the E90? Or do I leave the E92 motor in there for now?

Aside from the E92 engine holding revs longer than I want (which is something I plan on investigating), it's running perfectly. I feel like I haven't gotten any bang-for-my-buck from having gone through this whole first swap. To swap it so quickly feels like a lot of wasted time and money.....
Appreciate 0