BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Volvo C30, Anyone?

I'd consider one as a 1-series alternative, although I'm not even sure that they're competing with each other (and yeah, yeah, yeah... we know that the 135i will be much faster, so no need to point that out).

I've read conflicting reviews about it, so I'm reserving judgment until I drive one, but I must say, I love the way this car looks.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I love the way it looks, too. Funky, like my wife's old Saabs.

I'm not thrilled with the reviews of driving dynamics, tho. Maybe I should drive one and make up my own mind, tho it really doesn't sound like much of a handler. And that's important to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
I love the way it looks, too. Funky, like my wife's old Saabs.

I'm not thrilled with the reviews of driving dynamics, tho. Maybe I should drive one and make up my own mind, tho it really doesn't sound like much of a handler. And that's important to me.
Yeah, some of the reviews had negative things to say about the experience behind the wheel, but don't write it off until you read this one:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/4061/200...0-t5-road-test

Also, this fact is not listed on the Volvo website yet, but the C30 is available for delivery in Sweden with a discount of a little less than $2K.
:biggrin:
(I called them to find out, and they were very helpful!)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I forgot Volvo does their own ED program.

Too bad it's not RWD, or at least AWD. I really want to get away from FWD.

I just used their configurator--lots of fun, and it is a heck of a car for the money. Should give the GTI a run for its money. I hope it revs faster than "rev the engine" (on the volvo.com interior shot, kinda fun), tho :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Nein.

Looked at the C30 when it was a design concept. The production car turned out to be a major disappointment. If you were in the mood for a hatchback, for similar money, why would you not get an R32? its gonna have significantly higher residual value, and its a much better car.

Besides, the new Scirocco (extremely similar proportions) is gonna comprehensively outperform the Volvo.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I like the looks of the C30 and I like the homage to the P1800 ES in the backlight. Buutttttt (and there's always a 'butt' - espically if I'm hanging around ; -) - that T5 is the most industrial sounding thing on the planet - a skilsaw on S-L-O-W. I think it sounds even worse than the GM 3800 90 degree V6.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Nein.

Looked at the C30 when it was a design concept. The production car turned out to be a major disappointment. If you were in the mood for a hatchback, for similar money, why would you not get an R32? its gonna have significantly higher residual value, and its a much better car.

Besides, the new Scirocco (extremely similar proportions) is gonna be comprehensively outperform the Volvo.
Is the Scirocco going to be available here? I thought I read something to the contrary. If it is coming here, when is it supposed to happen?

Incidentally, the R32 isn't quite what I'd call "similar money" to the C30. The R32 starts quite a bit higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
I like the looks of the C30 and I like the homage to the P1800 ES in the backlight. Buutttttt (and there's always a 'butt' - espically if I'm hanging around ; -) - that T5 is the most industrial sounding thing on the planet - a skilsaw on S-L-O-W. I think it sounds even worse than the GM 3800 90 degree V6.

Oh come on now. :redface: It sounds better than a B18 with a fartcan, right?

In any event, I think it sounds better than my K20, and some people think those sound pretty good, generally speaking, but neither sound as good as the WRX's flat four with a proper exhaust. (I am one of many former/current Subaru people on here.)

I really want to drive one. If I like how it goes, that can make up for the machine-shop engine sounds. :wink:

By the way, this is *just* with a drop and some wheels :
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I KNOW you're NOT baggin' on the B18C5!

Oh, how I miss thee...

NO SCIROCCO from what I have read. Too close to GTI, says VWoA.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

I loved the C30 the first time I saw it.

AWD and a hot engine and it would be a real contender for me.

Supposedly they tackled quite a few of the hatchback configuration's endemic safety flaws as well...

Worth a drive at least...

[edit]

Just read the Australian review. Man, this guy gushes... Says the C30 handles better than his modified WRX... Now, I've owned a modded WRX and that's saying a lot...

Could Volvo have a winner here?

And the styling - it's certainly unique without being whacky...

Good show Volvo!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
woj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

C30 is not a performance car. It is more of a fashion statement that allows Volvo to bring in a "younger" crowd. My S60R was aimed more towards the performance spectrum, but is now a defunct line.
R32 has potential... witness it's faster laptime on Topgear's Stig track run for the R32 compared to the BMW 130i. Actually, EVO has praise for the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
FinInk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica, Wanting 335i

wow that c30 looks really clean and sport for a hatch.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 07:32 PM   #12
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woj View Post
C30 is not a performance car. It is more of a fashion statement that allows Volvo to bring in a "younger" crowd. My S60R was aimed more towards the performance spectrum, but is now a defunct line.
R32 has potential... witness it's faster laptime on Topgear's Stig track run for the R32 compared to the BMW 130i. Actually, EVO has praise for the car.
Here we go again... More pronouncements with no real research behind them.:bs:

Why do you state opinions as facts?

And always in defense of the R32/GTI?

Your obvious prejudice is getting laughable and your credibility is plummeting.

You might read the article and learn something before spouting off... :iono:

The C30 kept up with a DB9.:eyebulge:

Pretty good for a "fashion statement..."
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
I KNOW you're NOT baggin' on the B18C5!

Oh, how I miss thee...

NO SCIROCCO from what I have read. Too close to GTI, says VWoA.
No disrespect to the B18 series in general, as they're good engines (actually, my beater has a B18B :redface: ), but they can sound pretty buzzy when equipped with fartcans.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #14
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Just read the Australian review. Man, this guy gushes... Says the C30 handles better than his modified WRX... Now, I've owned a modded WRX and that's saying a lot...
Yeah, that gentleman loved the car.

Interestingly enough C&D didn't like it at first:
http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...30.html?al=105

And then they all of a sudden changed their minds :
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...10.html?al=105

Oh... and here's a somewhat biased review from Swedespeed:
http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publi...icle_1106.html
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #15
woj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Here we go again... More pronouncements with no real research behind them.:bs:

Why do you state opinions as facts?

And always in defense of the R32/GTI?

Pretty good for a "fashion statement..."
What is there to research? The R line was Volvo's "sport" line. Had one for two years and it served me well.
I change my daily driver every two years and have no brand loyalty.
I do subscribe to EVO and the C30 was their camera car, so what?
The C30 T5 is the same powerplant and transmission as in the V50/S40...hardly sporting. When is the last time you drove one?

To boot, we are all spouting about cars that have yet to hit the shore...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #16
IvtecEM
#1 Addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinazzurro View Post
:
Im totally gonna buy that!!!

Not the car the wheels, BBS LM are just timeless.......
      08-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #17
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

[/quote]

Wow Vin, I love the way the C30 looks. I ALMOST got a chance to see one last week. I was in Costa Rica on vacation and drove by a dealership on the way to the hotel. I passed out from flying all day and went to find it. The lady said it was gone! I was so pissed. Its really ashame if it really drives like a sofa.
      08-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #18
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Wow Vin, I love the way the C30 looks. I ALMOST got a chance to see one last week. I was in Costa Rica on vacation and drove by a dealership on the way to the hotel. I passed out from flying all day and went to find it. The lady said it was gone! I was so pissed. Its really ashame if it really drives like a sofa.[/quote]

I sat in one at the NY International Auto show this past Spring. I took some photos, but they're immense and I don't feel like resizing them right now. Edit: One photo is below; I don't know why the forum allowed me to attach it at full size, but not the others.

Ergonomics-wise, it's the best car I've been in, and visibility is top-notch with the large rear window and the single-piece rear side windows. With the seats folded down in the back, there's a pretty good amount of room in the back. I'd hate to say it, but this is probably a more practical car than the 1.

Anyway, you'll see one in person soon enough; I think dealerships are taking delivery next month.
:smile:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #19
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

My grandparents had a P1800 wagon when I was growing up. That was before I was old enough to really be "into" cars, but for some reason I just LOVED that car.

Needless to say, when I first saw the C30, with it's tip o' the hat to "Cinderella's Coffin", it shot right to the top of my list.

Then the first hints of the 1er hit the street. And then there were two at the top of my list.

Then I read a few reviews of the C30. :frown: And then there was one at the top of my list.

I suppose I should actually drive one for myself before passing final judgement, but I just don't think the looks of the C30 are going to be able to make up for the RWD of the 1er. And that T5 can't hold a candle to the beautiful N52.
      08-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #20
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
My grandparents had a P1800 wagon when I was growing up. That was before I was old enough to really be "into" cars, but for some reason I just LOVED that car.

Needless to say, when I first saw the C30, with it's tip o' the hat to "Cinderella's Coffin", it shot right to the top of my list.

Then the first hints of the 1er hit the street. And then there were two at the top of my list.

Then I read a few reviews of the C30. :frown: And then there was one at the top of my list.

I suppose I should actually drive one for myself before passing final judgement, but I just don't think the looks of the C30 are going to be able to make up for the RWD of the 1er. And that T5 can't hold a candle to the beautiful N52.
Very well put jrsites, ahem...i mean red one. Where the hell did Vinzarro get that one with the BBS' from. Those wheels are the sex man!! Not sure how they would look on a 1 though...
      08-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #21
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I think I either pulled that one from c30world.com or swedespeed.com.

The car's out in Europe already, so there are some nice ones rolling about across the pond.

I'd hate to say it, guys, but I think this car trumps the 1er in the looks department. If we could these with 135i guts, it would be a dream come true. I mean, damn!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #22
kere
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

A black C30 drove behind me couple of days ago and I have to say the front of the car looks really nice. I still don't get the rear, maybe I never will. I drove C30 few months ago and it was a nice car to drive on highways but the handling wasn't that good on twisty country roads. I'd prefer Astra GTC/OPC over C30
Appreciate 0