BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

08-24-2007, 02:58 AM   #23
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I had a Volvo already. They are great cars and R line performs much better than most people realize. Like all Europeans they are buggy in electronics and expensive to maintain after 100k miles. I am done with the Volvo chapter of my life and moving on to BMW or Porsche. Life is too short for me to stay monogamous.
      08-24-2007, 08:20 AM   #24
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Speaking of;

The Truth About Cars have just come out with a C30 review. You can find it here: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=4921

I don't know how many of you know about TTAC, but it is by far my favorite auto review/news site. It may not appeal to all, but I like their snarky commentary and the sophisticated nature of its community.
      08-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #25
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinazzurro View Post
I'd consider one as a 1-series alternative, although I'm not even sure that they're competing with each other (and yeah, yeah, yeah... we know that the 135i will be much faster, so no need to point that out).

I've read conflicting reviews about it, so I'm reserving judgment until I drive one, but I must say, I love the way this car looks.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #26
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor.l3ichiban View Post
Let me guess - you hate hatchbacks?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #27
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

I think the C30 looks great, but early reviews are that it drives like every other modern Volvo: quick, competent, and dull. No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #28
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Saw one yesterday. Did a double-take! I don't care for the rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #29
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Here's the inspiration for the C30 rear light (rear window), the Volvo P1800 ES (shooting brake) [Image stolen from this site]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #30
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Nice. The mom of a kid I knew growing up had this one... I think she drove it into the 90s! May still be driving it.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #31
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Went to my local dealer today; all US dealers by now should have two examples - a Version 2.0 in white, and a 1.0 in blue with a Swedish flag on the roof. I sat in the Euro model at the NYC autoshow earlier this year, so I was fairly familiar with it already, but it's a very nice car, imho. My initial gripe was that the e-brake when released was humping my right leg a little too much (they just redesigned it this year, and wish they hadn't). Otherwise, seems to be a good deal if you can control yourself from adding too many options. Also, european delivery includes free round-trip tickets for two, night stay in a local hotel, transport from the airport to the factory, and lunch. As well as 7% reduction over msrp. Pretty good, though not having driven one yet, I definitely am scared of the feel of it.

However, Heico already has a chip, and most S40 products will fit, so there is an aftermarket for it. I'd love a back-to-back set of test drives vs. the 135 - yes, it would get creamed, but the $$ savings, hatch design, and availability of cloth are all pluses that I'd have to weigh against the 135.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #32
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinazzurro View Post
I'd hate to say it, guys, but I think this car trumps the 1er in the looks department.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I have seen this car in person (Greenwich Concourse) and thought it looked cheap and cheesy and waaaaay too much like a Gremlin or Pacer.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #33
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I have seen this car in person (Greenwich Concourse) and thought it looked cheap and cheesy and waaaaay too much like a Gremlin or Pacer.
I've seen it too, at the NY International Auto Show, and I beg to differ.

Don't get me wrong; I think the 1er is a nice-looking car; I just think this one, looks-wise, has a bit more character.

Then again, I haven't seen the 1er in person yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #34
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

No matter how hard they try to disguise it, the C30 has the typical long fwd overhang.., and the hatch has slab sides ala the scion coupe. Maybe it works as a study in minimalism but then Volvo should have resolved the design in the front instead of just grafting a typical Volvo face onto it.

If it were a better looking car than the 1-er...I'd admit it. But it isn't because it doesn't really have good proportions. But I do like the tie-in with
historical models...P1800's....and thankfully the C30 doesn't smack of retro the way the beetle does.

The 1-er is a more complicated design- more lines and curves that dynamically traverse the body. And sometimes it gets a little too cluttered..too clever.
But that's BMW and I like the chances and the visual busy-ness and the show-off quality of all of Bangle's designs.
It speaks of something that is powerful, vivid, smart and complicated...

Bottomline- two very different cars aesthetically.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #35
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I like the Volvo. I really do.

But no way would I buy a Volvo over a 1er or 3er. No way. I just like BMW chassis' better.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #36
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
It speaks of something that is powerful, vivid, smart and complicated...

Bottomline- two very different cars aesthetically.
Maybe a little too complicated, to tell you the truth. I'm wondering when the pendulum will swing the other way, and everyone will go back to more classic lines, and remove the bangleness. I really would have loved something more in line with the original 2002, but I guess that's fashion for you.

I do agree that they're very different cars aesthetically. Nice to have choices in semi-lux 2+2s these days.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #37
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

I'd agree with you about Bangleness being tied into fashion. Or trends.
But BMW design sets the trends. They define, for better or worse, what is automobile design at a specific moment.
My own thoughts are if we were in a simpler era BMW's...and all cars really would reflect that.
BMW design is a kind of mirror to our times. And nearly everyone else mimics to some degree what BMW does.

The thing about the C30 design is that it combines a kind of hip youthful quality with maybe a longing for simple clean lines- and I like that a lot.
I don't think they have the right basics in play (fwd) to pull off something that is truly interesting to look at.
just my two cents.
:smile:
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #38
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
Speaking of;

The Truth About Cars have just come out with a C30 review. You can find it here: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=4921

I don't know how many of you know about TTAC, but it is by far my favorite auto review/news site. It may not appeal to all, but I like their snarky commentary and the sophisticated nature of its community.
You mean as sophisticated as these?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1184

I love the caption on the first picture of this article.

And two years later, still defending the old BS

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=224

I don't care to read the articles written by bozos that claim to know what I would enjoy better than I do.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #39
DCMotorer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 MINI Cooper

I grew up driving Volvos so I have a special place in my heart for them. But driving dynamics have never been their strong point. The reviews of the C30 that I have read are conflicting but being FWD I wouldn't expect the C30 to be quite on the level of a 1 Series(but with some minor mods from IPD or Evolve it could be a very respectable car). I need to get over to a Volvo dealer to drive one, it's definitely worth a look. Right now my list for my next car goes as follows:

1. 1 Series
2. R56 MINI Cooper S
3. Volvo C30
Appreciate 0