BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #67
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I believe its rocks.. I have had this problem a couple times, both times fixed by a little spirited driving or a small launch to shake the rear wheels a bit. The pinging sounds exactly like the dust shields on the car when you flick them or pull them and let them go.

Although I believe its rocks I can't be for certain... all I know is it goes away with some spirited driving. Hopefully it doesn't keep happening.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #68
ASGM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS VT2-600

happened to me too took it too bmw and they told me theres a lil piece of rock stuck in the wheel.
      03-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #69
SpoonZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

me too. Been to dealer, nothing wrong. Sounds to me like handbrake collapsed and banging about on metal shield.

Gone now, by itself. Guess I'll just have to live with it
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #70
mot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 AW M3 6MT

I get this problem on the front right corner of the car. A metal tink when the car is sitting after I park it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #71
mseskin
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

The noise you hear is in the parking brake self-adjuster. If you drive in reverse for 1/8 mi it should go away but if it doesn't then you'll have to clean and adjust it manually. I had my local dealer take the parking brake assembly apart, clean-it, and then adjust and assemble. Took about 10 mins and fixed the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:39 AM   #72
SpoonZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseskin View Post
The noise you hear is in the parking brake self-adjuster. If you drive in reverse for 1/8 mi it should go away but if it doesn't then you'll have to clean and adjust it manually. I had my local dealer take the parking brake assembly apart, clean-it, and then adjust and assemble. Took about 10 mins and fixed the problem.
That sounds like a plausible cause. Next time it comes along can someone try this out and maybe we can solve the mystery.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #73
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonZ View Post
That sounds like a plausible cause. Next time it comes along can someone try this out and maybe we can solve the mystery.
My car is having the issue again, like the 3rd time this week... Usually a good launch will fix it, but ill try backing up for 1/8th of a mile and see what happens as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #74
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well just tried driving backwards for at least 1/4 of a mile I think. But after about a mile of driving straight the noise came back. Guess ill have to take it into the dealer and have them look at it. The noise only seems to come from the driver side rear wheel. I am guessing the parking brake might be on that side.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #75
SpoonZ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohouou View Post
Well just tried driving backwards for at least 1/4 of a mile I think. But after about a mile of driving straight the noise came back. Guess ill have to take it into the dealer and have them look at it. The noise only seems to come from the driver side rear wheel. I am guessing the parking brake might be on that side.
Was drivers side on mine.

Anyone got a link or description Of how a self adjust park brake actually works? This might shed some light
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #76
tripberger
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Same issue here, 2011 M3 ZCP, I have an appointment at BMW Cincinnati on Monday April 11th. This is driving me crazy and like others have said, its embarrasing, people are like wtf is wrong with your new car?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #77
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohouou View Post
I am guessing the parking brake might be on that side.
Parking brake is on BOTH sides . And you can drive in reverse for 10 miles and wouldn't make a difference. On older cars, the way you adjusted the parking brake was applying the parking brake in reverse a couple of times, but that only takes feet. But if the parking brake system doesn't have a ratcheting mechanism, you could also do that all day long and wouldn't adjust anything. On the contrary; it'd just cause shoe wear.

I'd try reversing and applying the parking brake to see if it makes a difference. But if not, it'd have to be done thru the cables. But parking brake adjustment and noise are 2 different things people. If parking brake is getting stuck, you'd have to get in there, and that means removing the hub. I'd first lift the car from the rear and turn the wheels to feel if one is harder to move than the other, and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #78
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

It has happened to me too! I highly doubt that all of us have rocks in our rear brakes? like really??
      04-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #79
John@R
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ariel Atom 2

Garage List
Mine just started doing this the other day.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #80
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

happened to me a while back - there was a small piece of stone stuck between my brake disc and brake pad.

either open it up or if it's in the rear pull the handbrake up and down a few times to crush it. pressure washer works too.. point and shoot

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #81
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner e92

bump please someone with a solution can chime in?
      10-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #82
2swift
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

lol, my car just started making the exact noises in the OP's video. So embarrassing pulling up/parking and getting that noise under 15 mph. Went to the dealership to check it out and the noise freakin stopped. Two days later, it came back. I thought my exhaust was loose too but hopefully it is just rocks and nothing permanent.
2014 Porsche 991 C2S - SOLD!
2011.5 E92 M3 6MT - SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #83
MVEED3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

It's a rock. This happened to me.

I was getting the same noise when moving forward or back at slow speeds but it was most pronounced when backing out of the garage. Checked under the car but nothing was visibly wrong. Drove around the neighborhood and lightly applied the parking brake while coasting to a stop; no dice. Finally gave up and hit up the stealer for emergency service. Tech found a small stone stuck between the rear rotor and rotor shield. It dropped right when he pulled the rotor. Never had the noise after that.

Allen
2013 HP4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #84
mamazcookn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

took my car in twice for this...first they told me that it was normal so i left without resolving anything...
a week later it happened again so i took a video recording of it and took it in again. they kept it for a day and found that my backing plate was loose so they fastened it and no noises since. hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #85
jojodynamite
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Cool Gods of BMW...Plz solve the riddle of the rock in the wheel to my german jew BMW

WOW...ROCKS!?!? Seriously? I know their has to intelligent life form some where on this planet sir, I mean they were smart enough to make the money to buy the damn car?

I think there is two different problems being diagnosed yet some how its merged into one problem like how someone takes a square peg and pounds it in a round hole, no pun intended.

This cluster fcuk of a problem happen to me recently. The common denominators were it was on a butt cold freezing morning and it went away then came back the next day.

I wouldn't say its like a tin can dragging, they problem maybe a rock, or a rock in ones head.

It sounds like its coming from the exhaust, a weird popping throaty sound? However it does not do it based off engine on and rpms pinging.

Being that I am not a doctor, lawyer, or other person who specializes in much needed services and make a butt load of money, However due to god creating the internet on the 7th day for us people who refuse to trade hours for money and leverage residual income, I worked in the auto parts business and have a very top of the line social network of parts guys and mechanics.

So far everyone is puzzled by it, until I can make time to take it to one of my friends and have them geek out on it they rely on my trying to put words to this problem to describe it.

First solution was said dude its probably a loose hanger on the exhaust. Put the car on a lift, no go. Exhaust tight.

I had my check service engine light go on for like an half a day several times, to in which with the computer mc jigger it pulled a code of p2240. bank 1 sensor. I explained this to my friend and what he said if a plug is bad, or a wire is lose that noise could, I forgot the word he said, but end up being picked up in the speaker like distortion?

Next was thought of to be a hub bearing going out. So for lunch I picked up one my friends took him for a cruise and he said "Dude, that's not the wheel bearing, that's the back speakers. I can feel it."

Hmmmm... So I disconnect the back speakers in hope the at least the noise would be resolved. Because yes it is F'n" emberrarsing and I feel like I am the center of the world because it is so god damn loud that everyone stops and takes notice.

That didn't work. Another friend calls. "Man, its probably the wheel speed sensor".

To which brought me here for knowledge only to find comedy lol, but the best answer I have heard so far is its the LSD.

For which I will have checked along with the brake and speed sensor. I really am worried more about further damage driving it in this condition then anything else. Blasting my stereo and retarded deafening levels has been my fix to the noise.

I pray to the gods of bmw solve the riddle of the tin can, rock in the wheel, weird noise. Please! please.... we love you gods of BMW, you have helped us get more coochie with your amazing german jew hating cars. Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #86
yomny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335is 6spd

Wow this is odd, embarrassing, mind boggling and did I mention embarrassing. My e92 made that tin can noise from rear left side, @ about 3-5mph but lately the one that never fails is a fairly loud thumping (thump,thump) noise coming from the right rear area. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. My noise happens from around 0-5mph and turning mildly-hard right. I'll updated later on with what the dealer says.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #87
Jarhead
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Add me to the list of people this has happened to. I experienced it for the first time yesterday. Scary thing was it was after I finished a short track session and I thought I had really messed something up haha. It resolved itself after a minute or so of driving around in the parking lot in first and shifting to second. Sounded exactly like tin cans and the OP's video. 2008 e92 6mt with 26k miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #88
John@R
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ariel Atom 2

Garage List
Whats funny about this problem is that it always seems to happen in a crowded parking lot! That sound gets you more attention then any mod I've ever done! lol
Appreciate 0