BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-02-2019, 11:46 PM   #45
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalle View Post
Thank you for the diagram. This is most useful. So basically the key in the pic shows it is in the return pump? Any ideas on how it found its way in there? It would seem as though it should be stuck in the main pump if the key was dropped from the oil filler up top into the main pan, right?
Would you happen to have had the rod bearings done on this car?
      05-03-2019, 01:42 AM   #46
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
Thats a good question Gary. Can't see how the key got there without opening the sump. On the other hand 20k km seem extremely young for RBs...

Regardless has to be done on purpose. What a fokking d@ck in action here.
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2019, 01:47 AM   #47
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

lol wut
This is bizarre.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:27 AM   #48
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I would have hoped a mesh would catch what's poured in at least.
if you open the oil cap, its just open. there isn't a screen in there. someone did this intentionally. there is just no way this was an accident. it doesn't even make sense how the key was still lodged in there. was it jammed in? if the motor was installed, it would have been upside down. it doesn't look like there is anything to keep it there unless it was jammed into the screen.
      05-03-2019, 06:20 AM   #49
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
Working on a key lead

How in the world did you find this? You guys are amazing!

To the OP, im really sorry. This is terrible and very odd.

The one thing you have going for you is it was only serviced at the dealer. The logical conclusion is it happened there. I do not know the laws of your country but in the US a lawyer would come into play and begin a dance with the dealership, hopefully resulting in the end with you getting a new engine or even better, a new car. If thats the way it works in the Middle East, lawyer up is my advice. This is too egregious to let go.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 05-03-2019 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #50
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
To answer your question about the oiling system and routing, they are lodged in the oil return pump pickup which pumps oil from the front of the pan to the back where the main pump pickup is. It is designed to always provide oil to the main pickup even under high speed hard braking.
Thank you for the diagram. This is most useful. So basically the key in the pic shows it is in the return pump? Any ideas on how it found its way in there? It would seem as though it should be stuck in the main pump if the key was dropped from the oil filler up top into the main pan, right?
If you look at these pictures, you can see where the oil fill cap location is directly above the camshaft chain drives. If dropped in from there, the key would have fairly easily worked it's way down to the front sump of the pan. If you look at the pan, there is a recess where the return pump pickup fits into the lowest point of the sump. Once the key worked it's way into that recess, the suction would easily suck the key into the pickup tube. No real question in my mind that this was deliberate.
Attached Images

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 4
dparm3849.50
PACarGuy679.00
      05-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #51
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Can a key or any hard object of that size even make it all the way to the pan thru oil passages, etc.?

I've seen a very old story of a beer can left in a S class door at the factory, may be it's one of those?
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #52
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Can a key or any hard object of that size even make it all the way to the pan thru oil passages, etc.?

I've seen a very old story of a beer can left in a S class door at the factory, may be it's one of those?
It doesn't have to go through the oil galleries. Look at the photos posted in this thread, it's an almost straight shot down the oil cap into the pan.
      05-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #53
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
Quote:
Nope. Absolutely nothing done on this car but regular oil and filter changes. 20,000 kms. It's practically brand new
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      05-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #54
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Nope. Absolutely nothing done on this car but regular oil and filter changes. 20,000 kms. It's practically brand new
OP - If it was sabotaged, the entry point came from the bottom and not the top. Most likely through your oil sensor hole. So I would look to whoever had access to your car whenever you brought it into service, whether it was for an oil change, tire change, etc. Essentially, anyone that would have access to the car when it was on a lift. They would have quickly undone the oil sensor, pushed the wrapper/key up the hole...and then put the sensor back in. So the answer is sitting in front of you.

If it came through the top, you would have seen more mangling on the key and wrapper in order for it to work its way through the cam gears. Also, interesting to see there was little scoring or scorching on your camshafts and connecting rods. In case of severe oil starvation, one would expect to see a bit more damage in the engine as shown.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #55
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

So maybe it was already there when it was assembled at the plant? A disgruntled employee leaving his mark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
OP - If it was sabotaged, the entry point came from the bottom and not the top. Most likely through your oil sensor hole. So I would look to whoever had access to your car whenever you brought it into service, whether it was for an oil change, tire change, etc. Essentially, anyone that would have access to the car when it was on a lift. They would have quickly undone the oil sensor, pushed the wrapper/key up the hole...and then put the sensor back in. So the answer is sitting in front of you.

If it came through the top, you would have seen more mangling on the key and wrapper in order for it to work its way through the cam gears. Also, interesting to see there was little scoring or scorching on your camshafts and connecting rods. In case of severe oil starvation, one would expect to see a bit more damage in the engine as shown.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #56
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
This is not your first attempt at trolling me. Get off my thread or be reported. Either you're a hater or a racist. I'm asking for advice so if you have nothing good to say, shut it
Nobody's trolling you....others on the board had already noticed that you were based in Toronto, yet you stated the car was in the Mid East. My post was before you gave background on your difficulty with importing the car to Canada.

The video link to Persian Stig was a legitimate alternative explanation at the time. I thought you were visiting Canada and driving your car there temporarily while on vacation.

In any event, sorry for your engine loss, but ease up on the chip on your shoulder....No need to escalate everything to the "R" word just because you hear something that you don't like.........especially for someone with an account started just a couple days ago.
Appreciate 4
      05-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #57
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
So maybe it was already there when it was assembled at the plant? A disgruntled employee leaving his mark?

I doubt it....I doubt a key would look that good after 20km. Not to mention that Fisherman's wrapper....
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #58
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:

This.

What are the odds the rod bearings failed and the dealer planted the key and wrapper in there so that BMW is off the hook?
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #59
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post

I doubt it....I doubt a key would look that good after 20km. Not to mention that Fisherman's wrapper....
Yep.. you ever leave dirty engine oil in a milk container or gallon water container? Within a few weeks it'll eat the bottle through..
      05-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #60
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
This.

What are the odds the rod bearings failed and the dealer planted the key and wrapper in there so that BMW is off the hook?
Dealer wouldn't be that dumb to do that....if they warranty an engine, BMW corporate pays and the dealer actually gets revenue for doing the warranty work.

Other people could be dumb enough to try that trick in order to get BMW to replace the engine....hence the very lightly worn key and lightly worn wrapper.

OR, if this was truly sabotage, then it's whoever had undercarriage access to the car:
- Owner
- Owner's family
- Owner's household help/butler/driver
- Dealer or 3rd party Mechanic that worked on the car in any capacity (oil change, car service, tires/wheels)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #61
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Why does your motor look so damn filthy for only having 12k miles on it...
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #62
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post
Probably due to being in the middle east.

The sand and dust will make the appearance look 10 years older.
Appreciate 2
Siajoon1859.50
      05-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #63
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Not seen the abandoned cars of Dubai?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:25 PM   #64
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

So if the key is new and the fisherman stuff not dissolved it has to be recent.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:47 PM   #65
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
This.

Dealer wouldn't be that dumb to do that....if they warranty an engine, BMW corporate pays and the dealer actually gets revenue for doing the warranty work.

Other people could be dumb enough to try that trick in order to get BMW to replace the engine....hence the very lightly worn key and lightly worn wrapper.

OR, if this was truly sabotage, then it's whoever had undercarriage access to the car:
- Owner
- Owner's family
- Owner's household help/butler/driver
- Dealer or 3rd party Mechanic that worked on the car in any capacity (oil change, car service, tires/wheels)
My brother doesn't have private or underground secure parking. So let's say I have an enemy who wanted revenge, they'd have access to my car parked by the street. I still didn't get how they would sneak under the car and plant this via the oil sensor you mentioned. They most definitely couldn't raise it. Please explain.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #66
Vandalle
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat77 View Post
Quote:
Probably due to being in the middle east.

The sand and dust will make the appearance look 10 years older.
Absolutely right. The dealer had it parked outside in the sun I'm sure over the last month too. Sand storms and what not get into and underneath the car. It looks filthy indeed. But it's in a desert country
Appreciate 0