BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
amn3sia
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E90

High Pitched Whine When Car is Off

Last night, I was out in my driveway and heard a high pitched whining noise coming from what sounded like the passenger side of my engine compartment near my wheel well. The sound persisted for a few minutes, I turned on my car to see if there were any faults via Carly or messages on my iDrive indicating battery drain while the engine was off; there weren't any faults or messages.

Rewind to a week or so ago - I had to replace my car's dead battery, before it had died, I had random battery drain messages on my iDrive indicating that something was draining my battery while the car was off. In a thread that I posted here, someone indicated that this "could" possibly be related to some known issue with the EDC.

Could this whining noise that I heard somehow be related to the EDC? The car was not driven for probably 6-7 hours prior to this noise, so it's a bit concerning!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
houston
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

interesting. I get a bit of whine with the car powered down in the cabin itself. in fact if I pay any real attention to it it becomes unbearable. I dont think I can hear anything outside the car however. My car is currently at BMW for "increased discharge" on my 9 month old battery which they replaced under warranty last time this happened. They are now saying its the EDC module doing it. the cost is outrageous as the dealership always is, but I have an extended warranty covering it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
thebrownbomber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jerez Black E92 ZCP

I've sat in the car after shutdown a few times and it does seem to make some mechanical actuation sounds for a few minutes. The span of time is a few minutes, not a continuous sound though.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
amn3sia
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
... They are now saying its the EDC module doing it. the cost is outrageous as the dealership always is, but I have an extended warranty covering it.
Good deal on your warranty! As odd as it may sound, I sort of hope this is my issue so I can exercise my warranty on the repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownbomber View Post
I've sat in the car after shutdown a few times and it does seem to make some mechanical actuation sounds for a few minutes. The span of time is a few minutes, not a continuous sound though.
I've also heard it right after shutdown, what sparked this thread was that this happened WELL after the car had been off (several hours).
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #5
ailikesiliu
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90m3 997.2gt3rs

I think it is the throttle actuator, you can hear it more if you have the hood open.
Appreciate 0