BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
amos07
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupe

From 07' M Coupe to E93 M3 ???

Hello everyone,

First timer here on the M3post. I've been reading many post over the past few days, thanks for contributing to this great forum. I wanted to ask the BMW M enthusiasts opinions about my dilemma.

I've been driving an '07 M Coupe for the past 3 years and I loved every bit of the experience.I was considering buying the car at the end of this month when my lease is up.

When I was at my dealer working the numbers, I couldn't help it and test drove a '10 E93 M3. The lease numbers for May '10 being quite tempting, I am thinking about doing an ED on a '11 M3 Convertible. I travel to Germany 3-4 times a year for my business and the trip definitely could be written off.

Just wanted to ask the members if anyone of you switched from a Z4 MC to an E92 or E93 M3. Or anybody would like to offer their opinions about the subject.

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

if you like the new m3, and you can do ED with a write off

i don't even know what you are waiting for, do it ASAP
      05-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
amos07
Rep

Don't get me wrong, I loved the M3... The Power of the V8, the comfort, folding hardtop (never thought I'd consider a convert).

The fun I had so far in the M Coupe was amazing, brought the price where I wanted to as well...

Then, totally got caught off-guard by the M3... Very confused.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amos07 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I loved the M3... The Power of the V8, the comfort, folding hardtop (never thought I'd consider a convert).

The fun I had so far in the M Coupe was amazing, brought the price where I wanted to as well...

Then, totally got caught off-guard by the M3... Very confused.
if you are serious about getting the conv, you might want to lock in for the May rates if leasing...you have only few days left

and who knows what June rates will be, might go up/down
      05-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Loved my M Coupe as well, but I do not regret making the switch to E92 M3. It is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
amos07
Rep

I am going to put some thinking into it tonight and make a decision by tomorrow to get the May numbers...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Finnegan has both (M3 DCT and Z4M coupe 6MT), and can probably answer any specific question you have. IMO, they're not really comparable, so depends what you want/need. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
If you have a M COUPE and you actually track it/care about driving dynamics and want to upgrade to an E93 CONVERTIBLE...I don't know if you will be pleased! If the twisties are your thing, maybe consider an E92 instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I would see if you can get a real long thorough test drive in the E93. I've never driven a Z4 M, but I can't think of two M cars being much more different than that and an E93 M3 (maybe an E64 M6?). Make sure you know what you are getting into before you take the leap.

Having said that, I absolutely love my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

If you are in LA -- definitely get the vert!!!! PCH + E93 M3 = pure bliss

You don't give up much with the vert honestly -- it's a bit slower -- but with traffic these days who can drive fast anyways? I think the M3 vert is one of the best looking verts on the road you can buy for under 100 grand.
      07-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
amos07
Rep

Decision made !!! Just ordered the '11 M3 Cabriolet for ED on July 31st. I know I'll be missing my M Coupe but also I am very excited about whole the ED experience and having a convertible M car in California...

Thanks for all of your replies!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Finnegan has both (M3 DCT and Z4M coupe 6MT), and can probably answer any specific question you have. IMO, they're not really comparable, so depends what you want/need. Good luck.
Like JC said, it depends on your needs/wants, and they're really not compable. They are totally different cars. The Z4M is a pure uncompromising relatively lightweight (3,200 pound) hardcore sports car. Performance, not luxury, is the focus, and there's very little tech (nannies, Idrive, etc.) The M3 is a GT that matches that performance (and betters it in some ways), that's an all-arounder that can serve multiple roles (DD, travel, family, cargo, track). Much more luxury/tech oriented. It lacks the edge and focus (which is fun for some, annoying for others) of the Z4M. The M3, in E93 form, weighs ~4,000 pounds. That's a huge increase over the Z4M. The M3 to me feels simply huge (volume and weight) in comparison to the Z4M after I've been driving the Z4M around for a day or two (but that comes in handy for actually being able to put a few things in the car besides me ).

PM me if you have some specific questions (or post them here if you want). I will recommend the 6MT over the DCT if you're seriously considering this, as coming from a car that demands a huge amount of driver interaction and focus I think you'd really find something missing without the connection the 6MT provides....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
amos07
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Like JC said, it depends on your needs/wants, and they're really not compable. They are totally different cars. The Z4M is a pure uncompromising relatively lightweight (3,200 pound) hardcore sports car. Performance, not luxury, is the focus, and there's very little tech (nannies, Idrive, etc.) The M3 is a GT that matches that performance (and betters it in some ways), that's an all-arounder that can serve multiple roles (DD, travel, family, cargo, track). Much more luxury/tech oriented. It lacks the edge and focus (which is fun for some, annoying for others) of the Z4M. The M3, in E93 form, weighs ~4,000 pounds. That's a huge increase over the Z4M. The M3 to me feels simply huge (volume and weight) in comparison to the Z4M after I've been driving the Z4M around for a day or two (but that comes in handy for actually being able to put a few things in the car besides me ).

PM me if you have some specific questions (or post them here if you want). I will recommend the 6MT over the DCT if you're seriously considering this, as coming from a car that demands a huge amount of driver interaction and focus I think you'd really find something missing without the connection the 6MT provides....
It took me over 2 months and over 6 test drives with a few M3s to make a decision. After parting ways with my A4 1.8 T Quattro a year ago, my leased M Coupe became my DD in LA traffic.And I am a sucker for 6MT,so the DCT was not an option even though I enjoyed a test drive with E92 M3 DCT. it simply didn't do it for me. So M3 Cabrio will have a manual transmission.

Financially, purchasing the M Coupe and leasing the E93 M3 wasn't going to change much on monthly payments. But the beloved M Coupe was going to get old right before my eyes. And having a convertible in California was on my wish list...

I know I'll be missing the M Coupe very much. Compare to a lot of very nice rides on the streets/tracks today, M Coupe is one of the few "real cars" left out there, just steering, transmission , 4 wheels with an amazing engine.

Finnegan, I wish I could have both of these beasts like you do, but I needed to make a decision... I know the M3 is a lot different than my M coupe but I hope I could fall in love with the new Cabrio as I did with the M Coupe.

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I need to start packing for my trip to Munich soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

congrats man
      07-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amos07 View Post
It took me over 2 months and over 6 test drives with a few M3s to make a decision. After parting ways with my A4 1.8 T Quattro a year ago, my leased M Coupe became my DD in LA traffic.And I am a sucker for 6MT,so the DCT was not an option even though I enjoyed a test drive with E92 M3 DCT. it simply didn't do it for me. So M3 Cabrio will have a manual transmission.

Financially, purchasing the M Coupe and leasing the E93 M3 wasn't going to change much on monthly payments. But the beloved M Coupe was going to get old right before my eyes. And having a convertible in California was on my wish list...

I know I'll be missing the M Coupe very much. Compare to a lot of very nice rides on the streets/tracks today, M Coupe is one of the few "real cars" left out there, just steering, transmission , 4 wheels with an amazing engine.

Finnegan, I wish I could have both of these beasts like you do, but I needed to make a decision... I know the M3 is a lot different than my M coupe but I hope I could fall in love with the new Cabrio as I did with the M Coupe.

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I need to start packing for my trip to Munich soon.
Well, have fun on that trip (like I need to say that). I totally agree with the highlighted portion too.

For the record, the Z4M isn't "my" car, it's my wife's car (aka Skelekitty on the forum). She plans on keeping it forever, and she can shift and heel/toe the darn thing so smoothly it's scary--it's a challenging (but fun) car to drive.

I get to drive it every now and then, and it's quite a treat when I can sneak off with it. I wish I could find a way to have the Z4M's steering on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #16
amos07
Rep

Like Finnegan put it before, definitely a hardcore sports car . I'll be keeping the Z4MC until the M3 Cab actually arrives to the dealership, so I still have another 2-3 months to enjoy it. After that it'll be a whole new car , a whole new experience...
Appreciate 0