BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

03-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

What do I lose without iDrive?

Looking to configure my car. If I don't want DCT or EDC, so what do I lose in terms of the ability to set up the car if I skip NAV (iDrive). New cars have M-drive, but can I access all of it without iDrive?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
shamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, 2017 X5M

I don't have Navi/iDrive, but I do have EDC.

Anyway, I don't think there's really THAT much you lose. A lot of the settings you can get to using the left steering wheel stalk. I think the iDrive allows you to set up a few customized settings that you can't get without it (i.e.: default the Power on, interior lights to stay on xxx seconds, etc).
      03-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

You can't get enhanced premium sound without NAV.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Oh man, I drove my brand new car today for the first time, after seeing how much stuff happens via the iDrive, I would NEVER get this car without it. Get iDrive!!!!!
      03-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Looking to configure my car. If I don't want DCT or EDC, so what do I lose in terms of the ability to set up the car if I skip NAV (iDrive). New cars have M-drive, but can I access all of it without iDrive?

Thanks
i dont have i drive and i have mdct and edc. i think the M button only and of course navigation.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
You can't get enhanced premium sound without NAV.
oh no! World Crashes!

I have I-drive, it's slick and very useful in some sense. But I can probably live without it, it's just a giant toy that makes the car needlessly complex with it's 1 million confirguations.

For instance, most items you simply just set and forget, you will probably never change those settings again while you own your car, like courtsey light settings, park ventilation timer, door lock defaults, auto climate defaults, and even the M-Drive setting. You can set your M-Drive without I-Drive.

I also feel like you have a super high chance of crashing your new M3 in your first week of ownership, b/c you're constantly tweaking the I-drive in your first week while driving, I don't even know how I got it home in 1 piece the day I picked it up.

Last edited by mdosu; 03-05-2011 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

well, according to most of this forum.

You MUST get idrive, it not, DO NOT BUY an m3.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

"What do I lose without iDrive?"

-Endless frustration?
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
oh no! World Crashes!

I have I-drive, it's slick and very useful in some sense. But I can probably live without it, it's just a giant toy that makes the car needlessly complex with it's 1 million confirguations.

For instance, most items you simply just set and forget, you will probably never change those settings again while you own your car, like courtsey light settings, park ventilation timer, door lock defaults, auto climate defaults, and even the M-Drive setting. You can set your M-Drive without I-Drive.

I also feel like you have a super high chance of crashing your new M3 in your first week of ownership, b/c you're constantly tweaking the I-drive in your first week while driving, I don't even know how I got it home in 1 piece the day I picked it up.
^^^^ Really funny, but uncanny how true it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

Thanks guys. I don't actually want iDrive. I plan on keeping this car forever and want to keep it simple and not make it seem dated.

As long as there is a way to configure the car without idrive so that when pushing the M and/or Power button I can access the same performance settings I would be able to with idrive, that is all I want.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

Thanks
I for one looked and found one without the mDrive, found the colors I was looking for and a manual shift.

I drove a e46 (2002 M3) for 4 years and never got warm to the mDrive. I do feel like some that responded to you, ask yourself do you really need it? Most settings are set and that is the end of it. As for GPS how often does one need it and when you do need it there is the portable type (like mine it is a TomTom).

When you sit back and think about it you get the car to drive it don't you. Having this mDrive might lead you to play with it set something while you drive and we all know it only takes a second and you might loose control of your car.

I know I will not miss it and will enjoy my car during the drive then that is just me, some others might have other feelings on the subject.

Good luck in making your final choices.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #12
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Whatever decısıon you make, be sure ıt ıs exactly what everyone wants you to do...otherwıse you aren´t a true enthusıaıst.

Too many dıfferıng opınıons on thıs sıte...and way too much overly aggessıve attıtudes to be able to make an ınformed decısıon here.

I lıke the I-drıve...ıt gıves me more optıons of what I can do. IMO ıt ıs better to have optıons, even ıf you don´t ıntend to use them too often, than to not have the optıons at all.

If I were ın your shoes I would try to read up on everythıng ıDrıve has to offer...Nav, easıer access to your ınfotaınment stuff, etc. Then go from there. The M3 ıs an expensıve purchase, so make sure you get exactly what you want.

As far as all the 'you wıll crash your car' comments, well lıke everythıng else, use common sense. Same goes for talkıng on cell phones, puttıng on make-up, etc. Lots of ıdıots out there (many seem to congregate on BMW websıtes), so be careful.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT

Last edited by Rshane; 03-06-2011 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:11 AM   #13
E. Honda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Nissan 350Z

iDrive is necessary if you love technology. If you dont then don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:20 AM   #14
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshane View Post
Whatever decısıon you make, be sure ıt ıs exactly what everyone wants you to do...otherwıse you aren´t a true enthusıaıst.

Too many dıfferıng opınıons on thıs sıte...and way too much overly aggessıve attıtudes to be able to make an ınformed decısıon here.

I lıke the I-drıve...ıt gıves me more optıons of what I can do. IMO ıt ıs better to have optıons, even ıf you don´t ıntend to use them too often, than to not have the optıons at all.

If I were ın your shoes I would try to read up on everythıng ıDrıve has to offer...Nav, easıer access to your ınfotaınment stuff, etc. Then go from there. The M3 ıs an expensıve purchase, so make sure you get exactly what you want.

As far as all the 'you wıll crash your car' comments, well lıke everythıng else, use common sense. Same goes for talkıng on cell phones, puttıng on make-up, etc. Lots of ıdıots out there (many seem to congregate on BMW websıtes), so be careful.
lulz
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:39 AM   #15
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

You lose very little if anything on the actual performance side (Sport + maybe). You do lose the the ability to customize many different individual features on your car. I ended up going with a pretty stripper model. I am not a big fan of intergrated nav systems and If you plan on keeping the car any length of time I feel like it will start to look dated after a couple years. Thankfully BMW made the M Button standard:P
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #16
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by muwarrior07 View Post
You lose very little if anything on the actual performance side (Sport + maybe). You do lose the the ability to customize many different individual features on your car. I ended up going with a pretty stripper model. I am not a big fan of intergrated nav systems and If you plan on keeping the car any length of time I feel like it will start to look dated after a couple years. Thankfully BMW made the M Button standard:P
Exactly why I didn't get iDrive either. It was a tough call but I think 5 years from now the system will look dated, not to mention 10 years.
Since i plan on keeping the car for awhile it made sense for ME to not get it.
Everyone should make their own decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #17
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I for one looked and found one without the mDrive, found the colors I was looking for and a manual shift.

I drove a e46 (2002 M3) for 4 years and never got warm to the mDrive. I do feel like some that responded to you, ask yourself do you really need it? Most settings are set and that is the end of it. As for GPS how often does one need it and when you do need it there is the portable type (like mine it is a TomTom).

When you sit back and think about it you get the car to drive it don't you. Having this mDrive might lead you to play with it set something while you drive and we all know it only takes a second and you might loose control of your car.

I know I will not miss it and will enjoy my car during the drive then that is just me, some others might have other feelings on the subject.

Good luck in making your final choices.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
What the hell was that "mDrive" in the 2002 E46 M3? Or you meant the OEM Nav?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #18
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

You lose that hideous double hump dash!
      03-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #19
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I just ordered my second e92 m3 without iDrive. Totally unnecessary. I got zcp so I'll have all sport modes and edc. I hate iDrive the double hump and screen is annoying to me and unnecessary. I have GPS on my iPhone if I really really need it, which I almost never do. I find it's easier to control my my music through my phone as an interface plugging it in through the aux jack. I still have bluetooth for handsfree calling. I just don't see the need to scroll through menu screens to control something on the car when there's a mechanical button that already does it. This time, now that power seats aren't included I didn't get them either. What's the difference if I pull a lever or push a button to move my seat. I think the interior looks much cleaner without iDrive.
      03-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #20
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

this thread is full of craziness, iDrive FTW. i know its just my opinion
      03-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #21
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Do you still get the little keys holder where the controller goes? If your not idrive equipped

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #22
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Do you still get the little keys holder where the controller goes? If your not idrive equipped
I hope so, I keep my phone there.....