BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-03-2011, 01:47 AM   #89
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
update on the RS: After 500miles it feels way better than new. (or just got used to it and like it) That damn car needs to be driven hard. No relaxed cruising. I mean every trip should be full on, like on the track, then it shines.
I tried to do my cunning -my wife calls it stupid- drift turn at an intersection on my way home. With all electronic nanies off - did it just for the "test" - in 2nd gear tight right turn I did hang the tail out, just not exactly in a way I planned. I knew this turn very well, the M3 can nicely hang out its tail, did it several times for fun especially during the winter when there was snow on the ground. Well the RS did put out its tail too, just much faster than the M3. Faster I mean earlier in the turn, and also more abruptly. More like the trail braking rather than the throttle got the tail loose. The M3 usually gets loose there when I accelerate out from the turn. The RS actually got more planted rather than loose when I put my foot down. In a way "corrected itself" upon throttle application. Which was fortunate since there were some other cars around.
HAHA welcome to the world of the 911..Not as forgiving as a 50/50 balanced car eh? it's ok tho,it needs to be driven in a different manner,testing its limits on the streets are no easy feat.Congrats,you have one heck of a car,ENJOY!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #90
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
update on the RS: After 500miles it feels way better than new. (or just got used to it and like it) That damn car needs to be driven hard. No relaxed cruising. I mean every trip should be full on, like on the track, then it shines.
I tried to do my cunning -my wife calls it stupid- drift turn at an intersection on my way home. With all electronic nanies off - did it just for the "test" - in 2nd gear tight right turn I did hang the tail out, just not exactly in a way I planned. I knew this turn very well, the M3 can nicely hang out its tail, did it several times for fun especially during the winter when there was snow on the ground. Well the RS did put out its tail too, just much faster than the M3. Faster I mean earlier in the turn, and also more abruptly. More like the trail braking rather than the throttle got the tail loose. The M3 usually gets loose there when I accelerate out from the turn. The RS actually got more planted rather than loose when I put my foot down. In a way "corrected itself" upon throttle application. Which was fortunate since there were some other cars around.
Try not to kill anyone. Keep your drift turns on the racetrack.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #91
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

I really doubt he's killing anyone making a 90 degree turn at a light in second gear.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #92
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Try not to kill anyone. Keep your drift turns on the racetrack.
The intersection where I did this has virtually no traffic.
This Friday, I will have the RS out on the track - as part of the brake in. (at least that's what I tell myself) So the plan is to learn the car at 7-8/10 and brake it in properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #93
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
The intersection where I did this has virtually no traffic.
This Friday, I will have the RS out on the track - as part of the brake in. (at least that's what I tell myself) So the plan is to learn the car at 7-8/10 and brake it in properly.
Yet you mentioned there were cars, and if you think that a 90 degree turn in 2nd gear can't kill someone, you are greatly mistaken about the force of a 3000 lb car hitting a 150 lb person walking on the sidewalk minding his own business.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #94
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I was on call when I picked up the car and had to return a page.
A pager....really? Sorry couldn't help but laugh at that one. Didn't realize those were still in use. But guess when you are driving a sick GT3RS you can do whatever you like. love the car!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #95
speed21
Rep
Drives: P/BM

The exact same thing happened to me..I could lurk no longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenThousdandRPM View Post
I have extensive driving in a 2010 M3 and own a GT3RS. I must tell you that when I read your post I had to register on this board just so I could tell you (and other readers on here that might actually give some credit to your posting) that you absolutely have no idea what you are talking about.

The M3 is a wonderful car. It is a good value, has good performance and makes for a good daily driver. But if you think for even 1 second that it gives you a comparable driving pleasure as the 3RS either on the street or most certainly on a track, then you must truly have lost your ability to assess sports cars in an objective manner. Without going into a laundry list of reasons why that is, I would say this post should be memorialized as the embodiment of the saying that when it comes to sports cars 'some people have more money than brains'.

End of rant.

Edit: I just re-read your post and saw that you have not even tried the 3RS beyond 5k rpm. This alone discredits your entire "review". Even the most basic newb that has read about the RS in a magazine would know one of the most special things about this engine is its character up to redline. And yet you are comparing exhaust notes and performance without even having put the pedal to the metal? Please return or sell this car so that a rightful owner may put it to good use.

When i came across this thread today, after reading the OP i thought OMG... Then i read your post. Thank you!!.

Quote:
There is no bias, simply your inability to distinguish good from great. Your comment about this being your first porsche and your first bmw indicates quite clearly that you are inexperienced when it comes to sports cars. Not a problem in itself, and god bless you for being able to afford both, except that you come out making pronouncements of greatness and comparisons. This is like seeing a 7 year old kid critique Shakespeare when he is still reading children's picture books. There is simply no credibility. On top of this when you add that you didn't like the 458 either I start to think you are trolling rather than being serious.
Precisely. So glad someone has pointed out the glaringly obvious.

Quote:
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't be taken aback when the hammer of truth comes down like a ton of bricks on people that are talking nonsense.[/B]
Truly profound.

Quote:

I would have been happy to lurk, but as I said, some trash just needs to be rectified and cannot go unchecked.Boom. There is your violent torpedo of truth.
Brilliant! Thank god you pulled this nonsense up. Just when i was wondering how it would be possible to get a shovel and wheelbarrow into cyberspace to clear this BS.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #96
speed21
Rep
Drives: P/BM

Quote:
My intention was very benign when I started this thread and did not want to offend anyone.
I think with this post I will quit on this thread, it apparently did not turn out as I intended.
I have to run anyway.
attila, im sure youre a decent guy but attempting to compare a an M3 to a true thoroughbred sportscar was destined to cop some serious flack. I think thats why you haven't seen seen any comparo's on these 2 before. There really is no comparison. The M3 is the better daily driver due to its general practicalities, softer ride, lighter clutch etc but thats the start and finish of it.

Last edited by speed21; 04-06-2011 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #97
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Yet you mentioned there were cars, and if you think that a 90 degree turn in 2nd gear can't kill someone, you are greatly mistaken about the force of a 3000 lb car hitting a 150 lb person walking on the sidewalk minding his own business.
The cars were in a safe distance and there is no sidewalk. Kind of a wooded area, you have more chance to hit a deer than peolpe. (One of those stupid deer actually tried to jump over the M3 rear!! Now i have some damage on the C-pillar. Will go to the body shop this weekend)
I do not like to hit anyone - don't like to go back to work
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #98
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed21 View Post
attila, im sure youre a decent guy but attempting to compare a an M3 to a true thoroughbred sportscar was destined to cop some serious flack. I think thats why you haven't seen seen any comparo's on these 2 before. There really is no comparison. The M3 is the better daily driver due to its general practicalities, softer ride, lighter clutch etc but thats the start and finish of it.
spot on
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #99
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Nice car Attila I'm another one in the M3/GT3 club. But the most fun car out of the three is the one in the back

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #100
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
Nice car Attila I'm another one in the M3/GT3 club. But the most fun car out of the three is the one in the back

Very Nice!! Like your taste!
Was out at MAM with the RS last Friday. Was very interesting. The RS is not really difficult and malignant at all. (still managed to spin it, due to wet track, SC TC off, and some overconfidence)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #101
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Quote:
Very Nice!! Like your taste!
Was out at MAM with the RS last Friday. Was very interesting. The RS is not really difficult and malignant at all. (still managed to spin it, due to wet track, SC TC off, and some overconfidence)
You're right. It's a very easy car to drive and drive fast even in the rain. You have to really not know how to drive and come in too hot to go off. At first I was very nervous just driving it on regular roads thinking it was going to spin for no reason. I guess 911's are really a thing of the past.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #102
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

congrats - love that rear end.

agree with you 100%; things dont ever live up to the hype we build up for them.
I never dreamt of the M3 per say, so I never had expectations for it - I am not disappointed in the least.

Other cars you build-up in your mind and hold on a pedastle will ultimately fail you in some way - but I am sure the gt3rs will please overwhelmingly as a totality. At least for me, this stands true of any purchase I dwell on really.

Do you mind me asking if you wished you went with ZR1 or Gt-R instead?
All brilliant cars.
      04-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #103
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
congrats - love that rear end.

agree with you 100%; things dont ever live up to the hype we build up for them.
I never dreamt of the M3 per say, so I never had expectations for it - I am not disappointed in the least.

Other cars you build-up in your mind and hold on a pedastle will ultimately fail you in some way - but I am sure the gt3rs will please overwhelmingly as a totality. At least for me, this stands true of any purchase I dwell on really.

Do you mind me asking if you wished you went with ZR1 or Gt-R instead?
All brilliant cars.
Thanks a lot! I think you truly understood my review! it is really not "against" the RS as some perceived.

I liked the ZR-1 more than I thought I would. My only issue was the size of the car - I am sure one would get used to that - and the interior. It had a strange plasticy, anylin type smell to it. Not the regular good, new car smell. On my short trip the seet was fine. The shifter was somewhat questionable though. The car was brutally fast even low down - like 2K rpm - a fun feeling. Hard to evaluate a car during a 20 min trip and it was long ago. I think if you have the ZR-1 in mind try the carbon edition Z0-6.
I tried only the '10 GT-R not the new upgraded '12. (I will testdrive that next weekend!!)
You can find plenty of reviews on the GT-R and I don't think can add too much. I was hesitating for long between the GT3RS and the GT-R. I cannot really tell you why I choose the RS. Maybe, because it was some sort of a childhood dream to have a P-car. You cannot go wrong with the GT-R or the RS.
The RS is amazing if you push it. I took some turns recently at speeds never thought possible with any car. Not even a hint of SC interaction.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #104
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
The car feels like going fast all the time, in a way like my MX-5.
Got here and stopped reading... LMFAO
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #105
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Thanks a lot! I think you truly understood my review! it is really not "against" the RS as some perceived.

I liked the ZR-1 more than I thought I would. My only issue was the size of the car - I am sure one would get used to that - and the interior. It had a strange plasticy, anylin type smell to it. Not the regular good, new car smell. On my short trip the seet was fine. The shifter was somewhat questionable though. The car was brutally fast even low down - like 2K rpm - a fun feeling. Hard to evaluate a car during a 20 min trip and it was long ago. I think if you have the ZR-1 in mind try the carbon edition Z0-6.
I tried only the '10 GT-R not the new upgraded '12. (I will testdrive that next weekend!!)
You can find plenty of reviews on the GT-R and I don't think can add too much. I was hesitating for long between the GT3RS and the GT-R. I cannot really tell you why I choose the RS. Maybe, because it was some sort of a childhood dream to have a P-car. You cannot go wrong with the GT-R or the RS.
The RS is amazing if you push it. I took some turns recently at speeds never thought possible with any car. Not even a hint of SC interaction.
"I cannot really tell you why I choose the RS."

C'mon man....I can tell you why you chose it. Because it is one of the last pure high performance sports cars on the planet! To me, if one were looking to buy a racecar that they could actually enjoy on the street, the GT3RS would be the only choice. I cannot wait to own my GT3 or even better, GT3RS in the near future. Beautiful car man! Enjoy it!

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #106
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
"I cannot really tell you why I choose the RS."

C'mon man....I can tell you why you chose it. Because it is one of the last pure high performance sports cars on the planet! To me, if one were looking to buy a racecar that they could actually enjoy on the street, the GT3RS would be the only choice. I cannot wait to own my GT3 or even better, GT3RS in the near future. Beautiful car man! Enjoy it!

-SZ
The car (GT3 RS) is so much better than I originally thought. After 3-4 track days I could not stop giggling on the track. So easy to rotate this car and the throttle like glue on exits. I just got the 18" tires (BFG-R1 - Hossier R6 was not available at 335/30 R18 size) and the 18" wheels are coming too. Will ad the RSS x-pipe, and take off the PCCB rotors.
Unfortunately I stil have the car buying bug in me so i still looking at other cars to add to the stable.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #107
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Just wanted to say congrats on the purchase and your honest review. Others seem to think you are trying to put down Porsche, but to me it is clear that you are simply disappointed compared to the expectations that you (justifiably, I admit) held.

A few months on, what would be your recommendation to someone else considering the same jump? The GT3 is at the top of my list when the warranty on my M3 expires, but your thread gives me some reservations.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #108
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Just wanted to say congrats on the purchase and your honest review. Others seem to think you are trying to put down Porsche, but to me it is clear that you are simply disappointed compared to the expectations that you (justifiably, I admit) held.

A few months on, what would be your recommendation to someone else considering the same jump? The GT3 is at the top of my list when the warranty on my M3 expires, but your thread gives me some reservations.
The GT3 is a genuinely excellent car for it's intended use. On the track the GT3 RS is very very good. On the other hand I would not use it on the road too much. Don't get me wrong, you can use it on regular roads, especially if the surface is good, but the GT3 is not an all arounder and it is very showy. If you think about a track car and you have a trailer and you want to have a Porsche get the Cup or Cup S, if you don't need a P-car and not afraid to work on your car regularly get a Radical SR3 or SR8. That's my direction right now. I will cancel my F-car order and will go with the Radical. There are used SR8's around for less than $80K. They need quite a bit of maintenance I have to admit but will give you a single seater race car feel like no lesser Porsche than the RSR can. Or you can get a used Formula 3 car??!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #109
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Nebraska, land of disposable income.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #110
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Nebraska, land of disposable income.
For some..
In my case it is more like "cultural differences" When I came to the US -not long ago - I made $21K/year and still saved 5K/year. Still save about 70% of my income which is now somewhat higher than 21K.
Appreciate 0