BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

04-05-2022, 11:56 PM   #1
dilla17
Rep
Drives: '95 Suzuki Jimny '07 Z4 Coupe

2006-2010 BMW M3: Import from Japan. Anyone with Experience?

Hello everyone,

I'm currently stationed in Japan, and considering picking up a e9x M3 while I'm here.

I know, I know.. 25 year import rule.. BUT:

LHD M3's from 2006-2010 are eligible for US Import according to NHSTA.
Eligibility #: VSP-571, Docket #: NHTSA-2012-0159
The docket number lists the several minor modifications required to meet US Specs.

Has anyone personally done this?
If so, what registered imported did you use, and how much did everything cost to meet compliance? I'm guessing $5,000-$10,000?

I have access to auctions here through a friend, and am seeing the M3s go for prices MUCH lower than in USA with low mileage (I'm guessing everyone is too focused on Supras, Skylines, RX7s, S15s, etc..)

Thank you in advance.

**Apologies if this is the wrong section**
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 02:08 AM   #2
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

sounds like a pain the ass to convert everything to make it legal. might be able to find a US spec one there for cheaper by someone who brought it from the states? my first e90 m3 was bought in munich new in 2008 by someone in the army stationed there and brought it over. i assume it could have been ordered to us spec since someone on a base bought it there with the intention of bringing it back. probably not many people have m3s on bases over there as there were only 2 on fort carson in colorado, but could be worth looking into
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 06:39 PM   #3
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

If its LHD, from what I understand, that means the car was originally a grey market import. The M3 was sold as RHD only in the Japanese market. Grey market euro imports are more common than you'd think in Japan, so not totally surprising. The yakuza in particular has a thing for LHD mercedes.

As far as pricing- its pretty much on par with US pricing at the moment. You can check goo net exchange to verify this.

Another issue you may find- is since its a grey market import, if it has idrive, and the idrive has already been converted to japanese, you will need to completely replace the idrive head unit. The Japanese CIC/CCC unit is a totally separate part number, and its not possible to convert it to a north american image. So if it has japanese idrive installed, that is something else to worry about.

Honestly- there isn't enough of a price difference to warrant the hassle. I'd just buy one when you get back to the US. Way easier.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 06:46 PM   #4
dilla17
Rep
Drives: '95 Suzuki Jimny '07 Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo Cat View Post
sounds like a pain the ass to convert everything to make it legal. might be able to find a US spec one there for cheaper by someone who brought it from the states? my first e90 m3 was bought in munich new in 2008 by someone in the army stationed there and brought it over. i assume it could have been ordered to us spec since someone on a base bought it there with the intention of bringing it back. probably not many people have m3s on bases over there as there were only 2 on fort carson in colorado, but could be worth looking into
All LHD I've seen are Euro spec. The conversion list is pretty small if you take a look at the docket number. I'm just not sure if it is all stuff I can diy or have to have a verified import shop do the work (which would cost more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
If its LHD, from what I understand, that means the car was originally a grey market import. The M3 was sold as RHD only in the Japanese market. Grey market euro imports are more common than you'd think in Japan, so not totally surprising. The yakuza in particular has a thing for LHD mercedes.

As far as pricing- its pretty much on par with US pricing at the moment. You can check goo net exchange to verify this.

Another issue you may find- is since its a grey market import, if it has idrive, and the idrive has already been converted to japanese, you will need to completely replace the idrive head unit. The Japanese CIC/CCC unit is a totally separate part number, and its not possible to convert it to a north american image. So if it has japanese idrive installed, that is something else to worry about.

Honestly- there isn't enough of a price difference to warrant the hassle. I'd just buy one when you get back to the US. Way easier.
Thanks for the input. I'm aware of the idrive issue, and goonet exchange site is marked up quite a bit. I would be buying directly from auction, so pricing is about 50-75% of what it is in the states when you figure the conversion rate (with some exceptions), and with incredibly low mileage.

Mostly just looking to see if others have done it and ballpark of what it cost them. I'm not worried about shipping costs or taxes either, since those won't apply.
Appreciate 0