BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

06-13-2022, 10:01 AM   #21517
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep
Drives: Its a M3

What clutches and flywheels are you putting on you're 6mt trans? At cota this weekend with heat had slip and unable to get it out of gear. Car went 130k so it's sure time. Car is a 08 so need the flywheel as well. Car is straight track no street so seeing what you guys have done and experiences. Might just go stock or with the luk stuff since it held strong and made it as long as it did. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 10:13 AM   #21518
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Hardwire a USB from am available 12v source. Lots of options.

I use this: https://racegerman.com/collections/e...o-power-supply
Oh I like that, and it's a simple cheap solution. win win.
      06-13-2022, 10:19 AM   #21519
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
kind of a silly situation i put myself in, but what do you guys with no interior do for usb power? i need to be able to charge my phone while i'm driving, and i don't have a center console or glovebox anymore.
You and Vybz should just put your damn center console back in. It’s not that heavy and has two cig lighters. Or at least just pull the cig lighters out and plug them in…
      06-13-2022, 10:21 AM   #21520
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCUSE_M3 View Post
What clutches and flywheels are you putting on you're 6mt trans? At cota this weekend with heat had slip and unable to get it out of gear. Car went 130k so it's sure time. Car is a 08 so need the flywheel as well. Car is straight track no street so seeing what you guys have done and experiences. Might just go stock or with the luk stuff since it held strong and made it as long as it did. Thanks for the input.
Haven't pulled the trigger as I'm prioritizing a diff first, but this will be the route I go. Strong emphasis on no slipping the clutch.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Ultra-Li...ly-E9X-M3.html
      06-13-2022, 02:37 PM   #21521
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Picked up some PFC08s for my track day at VIR this month. They've got better cold bite on the street than I was anticipating, should be totally clear for getting to the track and should be much better over the OEMs.

View post on imgur.com

Talked to the tech about the state of the control arms and EDC dampers to see how they were holding up at 81k and he said it was in good shape, nothing failing on the horizon. They recommended camber plates and springs as the next thing and coilovers would probably need to be up to MCS's high end ($7-10k?) to make a substantial improvement over that. I'm glad to hear I can hang out on EDC/springs/camber plates for the foreseeable future.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
admranger2984.50
      06-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #21522
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll be replacing my 90k mile EDC shocks with some rebuilt Koni doubles (hopefully soon, but at the mercy of supply chain issues). I do feel like my EDC shocks are more harsh over bumps on track or during autox than they used to be. That may also be due to worn bushings in the suspension, which I'd like to replace when I do the shocks. But the shocks still generally feel firm and compliant on the street.

I agree camber plates will give you the most benefit. Especially for the cost. I'd also do the front sway bar over lowering springs, if you haven't already.
Appreciate 4
DrFerry6728.50
Cmassey3413.50
Davisca4552207.50
slcook541863.00
      06-13-2022, 03:59 PM   #21523
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmassey3 View Post
Picked up some PFC08s for my track day at VIR this month. They've got better cold bite on the street than I was anticipating, should be totally clear for getting to the track and should be much better over the OEMs.

View post on imgur.com

Talked to the tech about the state of the control arms and EDC dampers to see how they were holding up at 81k and he said it was in good shape, nothing failing on the horizon. They recommended camber plates and springs as the next thing and coilovers would probably need to be up to MCS's high end ($7-10k?) to make a substantial improvement over that. I'm glad to hear I can hang out on EDC/springs/camber plates for the foreseeable future.
Just MCS singles are a huge step forward compared to the stock system. And you shouldn't have to pay near what you mentioned above.
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      06-13-2022, 04:04 PM   #21524
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

MCS 1WNR are the goated 1 way coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 04:12 PM   #21525
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
MCS 1WNR are the goated 1 way coilovers.
Who has the "ready to run" kits for it? I'd rather not source each component separately.
      06-13-2022, 04:17 PM   #21526
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Who has the "ready to run" kits for it? I'd rather not source each component separately.
If you're interested I can get you in touch with a shop that could help you out. My buddy has the 1WNR setup with stock ZCP springs and paid about 3k for it last year. The shop did the whole package including whatever they had to do for it to accommodate stock springs and stock top hats. Rides great as you'd expect.

I'm sure EAS could also assemble something for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #21527
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
i know andrew at buildjournal has them set up and ready to go from racewerkz
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 06:13 PM   #21528
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
I'll be replacing my 90k mile EDC shocks with some rebuilt Koni doubles (hopefully soon, but at the mercy of supply chain issues). I do feel like my EDC shocks are more harsh over bumps on track or during autox than they used to be. That may also be due to worn bushings in the suspension, which I'd like to replace when I do the shocks. But the shocks still generally feel firm and compliant on the street.

I agree camber plates will give you the most benefit. Especially for the cost. I'd also do the front sway bar over lowering springs, if you haven't already.
Like others have said MCS is the way to go. Most shops can source the parts needed for you. Just need the shocks, camber plates, springs and the collars.

Bimmerworld can also build you a kit. Just do the chat function.
      06-13-2022, 06:32 PM   #21529
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:

View post on imgur.com

My first change was to add Vorshlag camber plates.
They absolutely solved the accelerated (torched after 3 days) front tire wear I was experiencing when on track.

I move them from -2.0 degrees (street) to -3.0 degrees for each track event.

I considered springs next, but I didn't want to lose any suspension travel, and if/when I move to aftermarket suspension, then I probably wasted money on springs.

(Honestly, I'll probably do an Ohlins Track Day Kit and code out the EDC soon. And the mods to make the existing Vorshlags work with this kit are minimal cost.)

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 2
Cmassey3413.50
DrFerry6728.50
      06-13-2022, 06:56 PM   #21530
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
They absolutely solved the accelerated (torched after 3 days) front tire wear I was experiencing when on track.

I considered springs next, but I didn't want to lose any suspension travel, and if/when I move to aftermarket suspension, then I probably wasted money on springs.

(Honestly, I'll probably do an Ohlins Track Day Kit and code out the EDC soon. And the mods to make the existing Vorshlags work with this kit are minimal cost.)
Yeah, I'm expecting my two HPDEs worn and some street miles Conti ECS to be toast on the stock alignment after this event. Those Ohlins look like a good go-to, I think I was reading their US office is around Mooresville NC (Nascar country), so that would make rebuilds a cinch since I'm NC based as well.

I'm very much a beginner though, so I'll be riding the OEM stuff till I feel ready enough for the next step. I'm mostly glad the EDC isn't about to self-destruct due to mileage.

Last edited by Cmassey3; 06-13-2022 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
Davisca4552207.50
DrFerry6728.50
      06-13-2022, 07:26 PM   #21531
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
You and Vybz should just put your damn center console back in. It’s not that heavy and has two cig lighters. Or at least just pull the cig lighters out and plug them in…
its like 9lbs brother, it ain't going back in.

i still have the glovebox sitting around and i think it had a usb port in it. might jack that factory harness and see if that worked. if i remember correctly, once i removed the idrive, the center console usb port didn't get power anyways.
      06-13-2022, 07:59 PM   #21532
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
its like 9lbs brother, it ain't going back in.

i still have the glovebox sitting around and i think it had a usb port in it. might jack that factory harness and see if that worked. if i remember correctly, once i removed the idrive, the center console usb port didn't get power anyways.
9lbs?! Hmm, ok I agree lol. The DCT with idrive console must weigh significantly more than manual non-idrive. My 6mt E90 non-idrive console with rear A/C vents removed was significantly lighter.
      06-13-2022, 08:11 PM   #21533
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
9lbs?! Hmm, ok I agree lol. The DCT with idrive console must weigh significantly more than manual non-idrive. My 6mt E90 non-idrive console with rear A/C vents removed was significantly lighter.
the center console part is the same across the e90/e92, just the e90 has a cap on the end, and the e92 extends back into a center console between the seats, its modular. the armrest is the bulk of it, but i'm including the console, top cover, rear cap (i did the e90 cap conversion), ash tray/lid.

i'm hoping to clean it up a bit in the future. i want to make a carbon housing that the shift boot snaps into, that also houses the power, dsc, and edc buttons on a beveled edge as well as the dct switch.
      06-13-2022, 08:12 PM   #21534
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Quote:
the center console part is the same across the e90/e92, just the e90 has a cap on the end, and the e92 extends back into a center console between the seats, its modular. the armrest is the bulk of it, but i'm including the console, top cover, rear cap (i did the e90 cap conversion), ash tray/lid.

i'm hoping to clean it up a bit in the future. i want to make a carbon housing that the shift boot snaps into, that also houses the power, dsc, and edc buttons on a beveled edge as well as the dct switch.
When you shaking it down on the track? What's weight at now?
      06-13-2022, 08:34 PM   #21535
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
When you shaking it down on the track? What's weight at now?
we've had to shift our financial priorities temporarily, as we are having a baby next month and had to buy a bunch of crap for beef jr. also paying extra on mrs beef's jeep to get it paid off (two more months!) and paid for some hardscaping around the beef castle... its really draining my racing budget, but i'll be back soon. sort of agonizing to build this car just in time to let it sit for a while, but thats life sometimes. i'll be back soon.

i'll have a better idea of weight after my first track day, i'm going to go with it as it is. malek gave me the race alignment and is expecting me back after my first track day for some fine tuning and "final" balancing (i took significant weight out of the car since the suspension work). i have to say, i'm in love with how the car feels. lots of turn-in and it just hooks.

in the mean time, i'm just going to have to chase ounces here and there in my spare time and enjoy the occasional day trip.
Davisca4552207.50
DrFerry6728.50
tsk941522.00
      06-14-2022, 12:33 PM   #21536
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
we've had to shift our financial priorities temporarily, as we are having a baby next month and had to buy a bunch of crap for beef jr. also paying extra on mrs beef's jeep to get it paid off (two more months!) and paid for some hardscaping around the beef castle... its really draining my racing budget, but i'll be back soon. sort of agonizing to build this car just in time to let it sit for a while, but thats life sometimes. i'll be back soon.

i'll have a better idea of weight after my first track day, i'm going to go with it as it is. malek gave me the race alignment and is expecting me back after my first track day for some fine tuning and "final" balancing (i took significant weight out of the car since the suspension work). i have to say, i'm in love with how the car feels. lots of turn-in and it just hooks.

in the mean time, i'm just going to have to chase ounces here and there in my spare time and enjoy the occasional day trip.
wooo

congrats on the veal!
Appreciate 2
tsk941522.00
roastbeef11584.50
      06-14-2022, 02:06 PM   #21537
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post

Yeah, I'm expecting my two HPDEs worn and some street miles Conti ECS to be toast on the stock alignment after this event. Those Ohlins look like a good go-to, I think I was reading their US office is around Mooresville NC (Nascar country), so that would make rebuilds a cinch since I'm NC based as well.

I'm very much a beginner though, so I'll be riding the OEM stuff till I feel ready enough for the next step. I'm mostly glad the EDC isn't about to self-destruct due to mileage.
If you haven't pulled the alignment pins yet, it's worth the effort.

My car went from -.9 degrees to -1.6 degrees.

It didn't solve the accelerated wear on the outer tread block, but it noticeably slowed the wear rate down.

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 2
Cmassey3413.50
DrFerry6728.50
      06-16-2022, 08:05 AM   #21538
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Having some fun at Road Atlanta last weekend. First time there and was running in the 1.35s

b4hand661.00
DrFerry6728.50
tsk941522.00