BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Street Legal Race Exhaust?

Are the Eisenmann, Remus, or Dinan Race exhaust systems street legal?
Thanks
vz

Previous Track Toy

Last edited by von_zoom; 08-18-2009 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

As long as you don't go catless I believe (by connecting catless x-pipe).......But if you go with the 'Race' version of a company's rear portion exhaust, it's perfectly ok I'm pretty sure.

Although you can get an x-pipe with 'high-flow cats' and still be ok.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

Street legal is soo overrated. And complicated.

Technically, to be "street legal," a part must be DOT approved. 90% of the aftermarket parts you'll find are NOT DOT inspected in the first place, because it is PROHIBITIVELY expensive and takes forever. But, as long as it follows traffic and road safety regulations, that's not your problem, and you shouldn't worry about it.

Now, with that said, in order to be legal for you to use on the street without being cited, it must pass emissions and noise regulations. Nothing more, really.

If you have a car with straight pipes, but you can prove that it falls within emissions and audible noise standards, then by all means.

We out in California have the most stringent regulations on emissions (along with NY), but that doesn't stop us.

So, that's probably more info than you wanted... but run center resonators and you'll be fine.
Also, you don't have to get SMOG or emissions tested for 5 years. So... don't worry about it, especially if you don't plan to keep the car that long
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
EagleEye CA
Supreme Chancellor
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I wouldn't be too concerned about this. Its not like we drive a car that is known for heavy modifications. Just don't drive like a jerk and nobody will bother you.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

A 'street legal' race exhaust does not exist for our M3's...

It's technically against the law to tamper with or MODIFY the exhaust system on your car. (federal crime)

Even removing the muffler section is a violation.

EPA & DOT have strict rules that outline these restrictions. There is no wiggle room here. It is against federal law to tamper with the OE emissions control devices on your car. (and the exhaust system is part of that system)

This law applies to all U.S.-spec vehicles built after 1982, except for 'kit cars' that are imported from other countries, and older cars built prior to 1982.

And it doesn't matter what additional STATE emissions control regulations are required for the residents of that state. That's a separate set of rules, that carry huge fines if you are caught red handed. (and the person who caught you has a strict interpretation of the rules)

Worst case scenario, your car could be impounded and towed to a police impound yard. (if they want to make an example out of you)

That may seem hard to believe, but it does happen in some states on occasion.

Having said all that...

I don't think anyone has to worry about federal agents busting down your door, and arresting you for buying a catless X-pipe.

The federal government doesn't have the man power (or the will) to enforce the laws on the books. Thank God!

The chances of you getting caught is pretty remote. The most extreme exhaust setups are of course the most vulnerable to getting busted.

In states that are cracking down on pollution and loud exhaust systems, you might want to re-think your aftermarket exhaust components.

You have to be smart about this stuff. This can all go from 'no big deal' one minute..to 'as serious as a heart attack' very fast.

A friend of mine who lives in Florida, got pulled over a few years ago after he was caught speeding. The cop smelled the raw gas coming from his catless E36 M3 while he was writing the speeding ticket. He got on the radio and called someone else out to the scene. They used some type of meter to sniff his tail pipe. He told me the second cop actually looked under his car to inspect his exhaust system. He was issued a citation on an illegal exhaust modification. He cussed out both cops right there on the side of the road!

He got hit a $200 speeding ticket, a $2000 fine for modifying his exhaust system (straight pipe in the place of his stock cats), $500 fine for verbal abuse of a law enforcement officer, his car was impounded by the local police dept. (another $800 fee to get it out)

They also suspended his license for 90 days (later reduced to 30 days by the traffic court judge)

So on occasion, someone is going to be singled out as an example. (when they want to send a message to rest of us)

Food for thought guys.

Last edited by Lemans_Blue_M; 08-18-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Thanks for that, I guess. Its a long way from glass packs these days.

I think that I will probably go with the Sport system, but do not know yet which one.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
EagleEye CA
Supreme Chancellor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Thanks for that, I guess. Its a long way from glass packs these days.

I think that I will probably go with the Sport system, but do not know yet which one.
vz
Glass pack! Holy cow I had one on my 89 Honda CRX. Back then I was the bees knees.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
golemite
Sleeper
United_States
Rep
Drives: B5 S4/E92 M3

yeah no one is going to haul you to an arbitrator just because of your exhaust. Now maybe if they pop ur hood and see a brightly colored supercharger, you might have a problem, but otherwise its smooth sailing. My Vanguard system is definitely aftermarket in both sounds and color (bluing titanium) but most cops don't look twice, even when they're looking to get me for something haha. I always run an exhaust on my cars and have never had an issue, on the streets or with smog. You don't want to be tripping any CELs for that though.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
ecksreturns
Commander-in-Chief
India
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3,2013 M5 and M6

Since I do not live in the US , this seems interesting for me . So even having a supercharger under the hood is illegal in the US ? If yes , then how do people get away with it?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
EagleEye CA
Supreme Chancellor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post
Since I do not live in the US , this seems interesting for me . So even having a supercharger under the hood is illegal in the US ? If yes , then how do people get away with it?
I am going to assume its just how they do it here in Canada. There are bigger problems in the world than car enthusiasts. Its just puritanical tree hugging laws. How many states in the US still ban oral sex?
Appreciate 0