BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #23
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by askiles View Post
Right. It only dips for a small RPM range (2k-2.5k) before it picks up again, and is way up on power.

-Andy
It will interesting to see if ESS can address this dip, without watering down the overall performance of your Akrapovic header back exhaust.
      08-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #24
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

As part of the design of the Bates exhaust (see my signature), we consciously decided to leave in the bends and natural restriction of the OEM exhaust because I also noticed that many aftermarket exhausts cause a loss in power below 3K rpms due to loss of back pressure. For day to day driving, this is a pretty significant RPM range to consider IMO. I'm thinking about going next week for a dyno to see what the graph looks like open vs closed valves. Should be an interesting graph!

If there is a dip with the valves open, and there are HP/TQ gains with the valves open, I was wondering if this could be solved with an active Bates exhaust. We could leave the valves closed, or partly open, then as 3K RPM hits open them up automatically (then close again at a stop - there would be a lot of experimenting and logic to decide how to control the valves optimally). Perhaps this is why the c6z06 has active valves?! My Kawasaki z1000 bike does as well.

Interesting topic btw.
      08-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #25
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

That's it! No full exhaust system for me. I'm just gonna stick to a cat back.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #26
askiles
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan - Alpine White

The small dip is very not noticeable while driving, and worth it to have the gains everywhere else on the power band.

-Andy
      08-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #27
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by askiles View Post
Right. It only dips for a small RPM range (2k-2.5k) before it picks up again, and is way up on power.

-Andy
That would depend on how much more the gains were than the losses in the dip. If you only gained what you lost then you are pretty much only breaking even in the short run but in the long run it is a different story. I do wonder though if the losses in the dip are any different if one were running a 3.62 final diff..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #28
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

So can someone please clarify for me? I'm a little confused...

Any aftermarket x-pipe, paired with an aftermarket muffler, will have a brief dip in HP somewhere across the powerband?
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #29
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
So can someone please clarify for me? I'm a little confused...

Any aftermarket x-pipe, paired with an aftermarket muffler, will have a brief dip in HP somewhere across the powerband?
Well, the stock car also has a dip in the lower RPM range. The issue is, aftermarket setups, though making more power at the top, tends to also amplify this effect.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #30
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
+1,000 Unfortunately, I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head here. Well said.

I'm right there with ya, man. I'm curious to see what effect forced induction has on the dip. If it's significant, that would be the final straw convincing me to go the stroker route instead.

Edit: I just saw that the stroker engine suffers the a similar "dip" issue down low. Hmmm....
It look's like the ESS SC unit smooths out the dip just a bit. It doesn't completely remove it, but looks like it helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #31
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
It look's like the ESS SC unit smooths out the dip just a bit. It doesn't completely remove it, but looks like it helps.
Much better than what it was on the older E46 ZHP's which were supercharged.
The dip in the graph doesn't look too bad. My guess is that they should be able to get something close to it without the supercharger on there..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #32
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
That would depend on how much more the gains were than the losses in the dip. If you only gained what you lost then you are pretty much only breaking even in the short run but in the long run it is a different story. I do wonder though if the losses in the dip are any different if one were running a 3.62 final diff..
You gain far more than what you lose, from around 3000RPM upwards you are looking at a torque gain of 10% until around 6000RPM where the torque gain is around 5% through to redline...

This is not the type of car that should be WOT @ 2500RPM anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #33
askiles
Major
Rep

When I say it dips between 2K-2.5K, I mean it loses power, and dips below for about 500RPMS. After that, it pick up quickly, and I gained a ton of power from there. It is really weird, but makes sense.

-Andy
      08-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #34
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
+1

Folks lose sight of that fact when staring at dyno charts. Even in a drag race from a stand still, this comes to play just once, maybe not even that since you'll be traction limited in 1st taking off.

During daily cruising around, there are many other factors that play into the responsiveness and power delivery of the engine when you step on it that the dyno charts do not reflect/represent.
      08-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #35
golemite
Sleeper
United_States
Rep
Drives: B5 S4/E92 M3

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #36
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I have felt that dip at 2.5K since my car was brand new. Always thought it was just tight and would get better after break-in but I guess not. Almost feels like the engine hesitates and passengers have commented on it as well.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #37
CanM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB M3

The Dinan literature states that the 'dip' is between 6600-7200 rpm, not what I would consider a low rpm dip. Does the addition of a midpipe move this anamoly further up into the rpm band I wonder?
Sure would be nice to see a dyno from this pipe just to see how bad the tested 'dip' actually is.....Lemans_Blue, any info on this??
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #38
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
As part of the design of the Bates exhaust (see my signature), we consciously decided to leave in the bends and natural restriction of the OEM exhaust because I also noticed that many aftermarket exhausts cause a loss in power below 3K rpms due to loss of back pressure. For day to day driving, this is a pretty significant RPM range to consider IMO. I'm thinking about going next week for a dyno to see what the graph looks like open vs closed valves. Should be an interesting graph!

If there is a dip with the valves open, and there are HP/TQ gains with the valves open, I was wondering if this could be solved with an active Bates exhaust. We could leave the valves closed, or partly open, then as 3K RPM hits open them up automatically (then close again at a stop - there would be a lot of experimenting and logic to decide how to control the valves optimally). Perhaps this is why the c6z06 has active valves?! My Kawasaki z1000 bike does as well.

Interesting topic btw.
That's an interesting idea. I believe the Aston Martin Vantage uses a bypass valve as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #39
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanM3 View Post
The Dinan literature states that the 'dip' is between 6600-7200 rpm, not what I would consider a low rpm dip. Does the addition of a midpipe move this anamoly further up into the rpm band I wonder?
Sure would be nice to see a dyno from this pipe just to see how bad the tested 'dip' actually is.....Lemans_Blue, any info on this??
Makes you wonder why so many vendors/manufacturers only place claims of HP gains on their website for exhaust systems that they sell without Dyno graphs to back them up.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 01:25 AM   #40
CanM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Makes you wonder why so many vendors/manufacturers only place claims of HP gains on their website for exhaust systems that they sell without Dyno graphs to back them up.
Well, as was mentioned by another member before, if the manufacturers posted Dyno graphs, there is the potential for unhappy customers unless dyno's matched curve for curve. I understand why they do it, but it doesnt mean I'm happy about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 05:23 AM   #41
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm curious as to whether this so called "dip" occurs with X-Pipe systems mated to the factory exhaust...

For example, Encore X-Pipe dyno does not show this dip and in fact around 2500-3000RPM is where the most torque gains are made:

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 05:37 AM   #42
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post

Interesting topic btw.
Back pressure does not increase torque and a lack of back pressure does not decrease torque - this a common misconception. Generally what causes the drop in low-end torque as the result of a bigger exhaust system is the reduction in exhaust gas velocity. Getting optimal power at a certain RPM is a balancing act between maintaining high gas velocity and minimal back pressure.

I'm curious as to whether the M3 aftermarket full exhaust systems actually use larger piping. If an aftermarket exhaust system used the same piping diameter as OEM but reduced backpressure through high-flow cats or catless design, then I would expect there to be no torque losses...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #43
askiles
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious as to whether this so called "dip" occurs with X-Pipe systems mated to the factory exhaust...

For example, Encore X-Pipe dyno does not show this dip and in fact around 2500-3000RPM is where the most torque gains are made:

There is no dip in this graph.

-Andy
      08-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #44
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 2009 E92 6MT

The trend seems to be that full exhausts which delete the primary cat have the dip.
Appreciate 0