BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

04-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #67
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
You have it wrong. BMW set rod bearings that are too small clearance for the weight of the oil. It is a design mistake that BMW did. There's many threads and information on this.

The aftermarket is trying to fix the BMW rod bearings by using extra clearance bearings. If you change the rod bearings, you can use 10w60 no problem. On a stock car, not a good idea.

Lots of information on BMW's fuck up:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892838

Both of you are right. When the engine is run really hard, it gets hotter. This means clearances tighten and oil thins out. When the engine is doing more mundane tasks, like sitting in traffic, the clearances open up and the oil is thinner. In some engines, you actually see MORE consumption and blow-by if you don't drive the car hard.

The tolerances are not static, nor is the oil's viscosity.
      04-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #68
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
You have it wrong. BMW set rod bearings that are too small clearance for the weight of the oil. It is a design mistake that BMW did. There's many threads and information on this.

The aftermarket is trying to fix the BMW rod bearings by using extra clearance bearings. If you change the rod bearings, you can use 10w60 no problem. On a stock car, not a good idea.

Lots of information on BMW's fuck up:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892838
I've heard of people using 10w50 and it apparently works better.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #69
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
Hahaha! ...this is probably the worst thread I've read in a long time. First, the OP thinks that changing the weight of the oil can possibly affect the actuators going out...lolz

Second, his responses have some of the worst english I've ever read in my life. It's like he's typing his language into a translator and pasting it here. Real life FOBs speak and write better english than this man...cmon! lol
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:45 AM   #70
Typer0318
Private
Rep
Drives: e92

changed to 10w60

motorex xperiemce fs-x

now i feel safe,

plus done oil leaks

next oil change doing connecting rod bearing,

feel kind of numb on regurarly tho,