BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

11-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #67
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsi View Post
I noticed that you and Sangria both have the same issues, and both are located in FL. It probably has to do with the salty air you guys have over there.
I am also wondering it is related to humidity. I am right at the border of Everglades and literally no one can build houses anymore behind my backyard. So I have Canal and Everglades and rains all the time. And I do not have AC in my garage.

But it shouldn't cause this problem like that! We are talkin about an Engine that heats up all the way to 210F-230F. The paint they used is not that quality then!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      12-14-2016, 11:59 PM   #68
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
2008 E93 M3 - 37K - Always Garage Kept - It has been driven 2 or 3 times while raining and has a really clean Engine Bay!

I've not been keeping up with this thread, but wow the posts are very interesting to read up on finally. This is exactly what mine looks like. Peeling on the inside makes me feel icky inside
Edit: it's continued on and I have a very small oil leak from valve cover gaskets on both sides. The dealer never did step up on either issue. I'm just keeping an eye on blackstone reports every 3 to 5K miles on changes done myself now. Switching to the new shell oil, but i hear its all the same stuff.
      12-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #69
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
The covers are indeed a magnesium alloy. Though it is strong and lightweight, Magnesium is one of the lowest in the galvanic series which means it is highly reactive and corrodes very easily in different environments.

These covers are coated in a ceramic oven cured coating. The inside of the covers are not fully coated, which allows contact with atmosphere. The result is corrosion over time, which causes flaking of not only the metal itself, but the coating. If there are pores in the casting allowing oxidation to reach the underside of the outer coating, then the outer coating will bubble also and eventually peel. It happens more often near the oil cap snout because it is not bathed in oil as much as the other areas (which prevents the atmospheric contact).

This can also happen inside the gasket groove which will cause persistent leaks. Since it creates a rough surface difficult for a gasket to seal against, just replacing the gasket won't solve the issue. The key to getting the dealer to replace it under warranty is right here. If you take it back repeatedly for leaking then they will eventually be forced to replace the cover too.

It's not a big deal. "If" small amounts of it fall from the valve cover inside the engine, it will make its way to the oil pan and will be filtered out within the oil filter before allowing any actual harm to the engine. In an oil analysis, it will show up in the magnesium and aluminum counts.
Appreciate 3
M3MPH1S592.00
NoHedge67.50
K-M390.50
      11-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #70
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
The covers are indeed a magnesium alloy. Though it is strong and lightweight, Magnesium is one of the lowest in the galvanic series which means it is highly reactive and corrodes very easily in different environments.

These covers are coated in a ceramic oven cured coating. The inside of the covers are not fully coated, which allows contact with atmosphere. The result is corrosion over time, which causes flaking of not only the metal itself, but the coating. If there are pores in the casting allowing oxidation to reach the underside of the outer coating, then the outer coating will bubble also and eventually peel. It happens more often near the oil cap snout because it is not bathed in oil as much as the other areas (which prevents the atmospheric contact).

This can also happen inside the gasket groove which will cause persistent leaks. Since it creates a rough surface difficult for a gasket to seal against, just replacing the gasket won't solve the issue. The key to getting the dealer to replace it under warranty is right here. If you take it back repeatedly for leaking then they will eventually be forced to replace the cover too.

It's not a big deal. "If" small amounts of it fall from the valve cover inside the engine, it will make its way to the oil pan and will be filtered out within the oil filter before allowing any actual harm to the engine. In an oil analysis, it will show up in the magnesium and aluminum counts.
I have three of these engines with covers off from 2008 to 2011 (my original blown one from 2011, one dud one I bought, and then the one I rebuilt), and all of them have major pealing. The older ones are the worse, but even my 2011 one has major bubbling on the inside (you can't see it from the oil cap, but if you take the cover off you see it), and when cleaning the cover it just flakes off.

I have no choice but to use my 2011 cover right now so I took off all the big pieces, but this is kind of ridiculous that a marque like BMW has problems like this on such young cars...

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #71
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
I am also wondering it is related to humidity. I am right at the border of Everglades and literally no one can build houses anymore behind my backyard. So I have Canal and Everglades and rains all the time. And I do not have AC in my garage.

But it shouldn't cause this problem like that! We are talkin about an Engine that heats up all the way to 210F-230F. The paint they used is not that quality then!
it's sad because a company goes all out and uses magnesium, then it corrodes and pisses us off.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia986.00
      11-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #72
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Magnesium is nothing new for valve covers. Many makes uses Magnesium for valve covers at some point. Not just BMW but also Ford, Chevrolet, Porsche, etc.... Even back into the 90's. They all have this problem or something similar. It's inherent to magnesium- it's not a very stable alloy, the finish doesn't last.

You can't make everyone happy. If they were aluminum then we'd be all "WTF, aluminum valve covers? That's soooo 80's"....
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      12-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #73
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Magnesium is nothing new for valve covers. Many makes uses Magnesium for valve covers at some point. Not just BMW but also Ford, Chevrolet, Porsche, etc.... Even back into the 90's. They all have this problem or something similar. It's inherent to magnesium- it's not a very stable alloy, the finish doesn't last.

You can't make everyone happy. If they were aluminum then we'd be all "WTF, aluminum valve covers? That's soooo 80's"....
My Evo magnesium cover (2006 - so 5 years older than my M!) looked perfect on the inside when I rebuilt it earlier this year Mitsubishi making BMW look like fools
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #74
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

My only question is how you get inside the engine to take photos from inside the oil cap rather than of the inside of the cap.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #75
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
My only question is how you get inside the engine to take photos from inside the oil cap rather than of the inside of the cap.
Take the valve cover off... not difficult, but not a 5 minute job either.. it doesn’t just peel near the oil cap, but along the entire inside, so if you really want to examine it, you have to take the cover off.

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #76
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Got it only saw first photo of a Yellow hole
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 11:47 PM   #77
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Could you use an inspection camera or are baffles in the way?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #78
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Could you use an inspection camera or are baffles in the way?
You could... though I’d be a little worried about hitting the flaking material with your endoscope and having it fall in to your oil ways. When left alone it bubbles up, but doesn’t seem to just fall by itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #79
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The 92-95 E36 6 cylinder cars had magnesium valve covers as well and they flake inside. A few people have had them stripped and coated. But the bubbling and eventual flaking does not seem to have destroyed those motors. Still, if there is a coating solution maybe I will do it when I change the gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #80
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:

This!!!

There have been earlier threads in the years past on this very forum discussing this issue which has been found to be concerning to us owners but NOT damaging to the engine (I'm speaking of the internal flaking immediately inside the oil filler cap area )
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #81
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]