BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

06-01-2020, 12:07 AM   #23
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahwill View Post
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but how do you remove the shifter arm/carrier? I already got the two clips/pins removed in the front but don’t seem to have enough room to pull it out of the rear bushing.
You need to remove that rear bushing before you can slide the carrier out, super easy just wedge a flathead screwdriver on the side and it will pop out of the mount.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #24
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Mine is in and this install did in fact suck. For the life of me I could not get that rear carrier bushing free from the car. Read this thread multiple times with the advice given. Would have been so much easier if the part that holds it could unbolt from the car like it does on other models.

I think my stiffer engine mounts and the carbon driveshaft made my install a bit trickier too as there was just significantly more stiffness in the drivetrain. With no trans mount at all I found it would only sag maybe 1-2" tops with absolutely nothing supporting it where others make it seem as though it's going to fall out of the car. (and I did keep a jack under to support the trans but I noticed this while trying to lower the jack to let the trans down and it barely moving at all).

That said, there is absolutely no play at all in this thing. Definitely curious to see how it is on the road. I'm working on a few other things so it will be another week or two most likely before the car is back on the ground. I actually removed a CAE shifter that was on the car when I bought it so my frame of reference is very different. That shifter felt absolutely amazing but the look I went back and forth on and ultimately decided that for now I want the interior more OE+ looking than racecar. Very possible I have another down the road though. Time will tell!
      06-11-2020, 05:15 AM   #25
MisterClutch888
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

^by the way, your car is awesome in every way.
Slow Build
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:40 AM   #26
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
Mine is in and this install did in fact suck. For the life of me I could not get that rear carrier bushing free from the car. Read this thread multiple times with the advice given. Would have been so much easier if the part that holds it could unbolt from the car like it does on other models.

I think my stiffer engine mounts and the carbon driveshaft made my install a bit trickier too as there was just significantly more stiffness in the drivetrain. With no trans mount at all I found it would only sag maybe 1-2" tops with absolutely nothing supporting it where others make it seem as though it's going to fall out of the car. (and I did keep a jack under to support the trans but I noticed this while trying to lower the jack to let the trans down and it barely moving at all).

That said, there is absolutely no play at all in this thing. Definitely curious to see how it is on the road. I'm working on a few other things so it will be another week or two most likely before the car is back on the ground. I actually removed a CAE shifter that was on the car when I bought it so my frame of reference is very different. That shifter felt absolutely amazing but the look I went back and forth on and ultimately decided that for now I want the interior more OE+ looking than racecar. Very possible I have another down the road though. Time will tell!
Hey Steve, I did the install on my AS shifter a couple of weeks ago and I agree, people over-exaggerated the need to support the transmission. I have the stock mounts and everything, once I removed the bolts for the transmission support I was half expecting the whole thing to drop down on me from what I read on the forums. It maybe moved like an inch or two MAX, you can even pull on the transmission and it won't come down anymore.

As for the rear carrier mount bushing, it took me 10 seconds to remove. There is a slot next to the bushing, stick a long flathead in there and pry, it will pop out on that side, then repeat the other side. Putting it back in was just as easy, I actually did it by hand with no tools, just slide it into the slot on one side, then use your thumb and push up, it will snap back into place.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #27
MisterClutch888
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

Curious if installing this ssk will raise the height of the entire shifter?

I love it when the shifter is closer to the steering wheel.
Slow Build
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:58 AM   #28
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClutch888 View Post
Curious if installing this ssk will raise the height of the entire shifter?

I love it when the shifter is closer to the steering wheel.
The best part of one of these is you can decide what you want and he can do it for you! I had mine made 20mm taller than OE (which actually only ends up being closer to 7mm because I'm running the ZHP knob which is not as tall as stock).

He didn't recommend going much taller than that but it is doable.
      11-04-2022, 02:38 PM   #29
maestrodevil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12M3E93

Useful info!
Appreciate 0