BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #89
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanM3Lover View Post
The default settings on the Equalizer sounds very bad. I have used PG's setting and it's a lot better now. There are better systems out there sounds better out of the box, such as the Bose system on the Porsche Cayenne.
The upper and lower emphasis on his settings are a little too much for me. I cut them in half.

Quote:
My Audio-Technica ATH-A900 headphone that I plug to my computer sounds better than any car system I have ever heard.
Cars are notoriously poor acousitc environments. Everything within a headphone enclosure is controlled.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #90
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Nice set-up, mine isn't nearly as advanced, but it still cost me $30K (my wife still doesn't get it, lol). I am running:

Samsug 56" HDTV, B&W 804S as mains, B&W HTM3 Center, B&W Inwalls, (forgot the model#, but the higher end ones), Veledyne DD10 Sub, powered by a Rotel 1095 and processed by an Anthem AVM50, and a salamandor cabinet. Granted my house is only 1200sq ft, so it is plenty for that space though.

I am in S. San Jose, we should get together sometime and talk HT and M3s. I don't do poker though, sorry.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 03:06 AM   #91
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

When I get my M3, I want to meet you PG and others in the south bay!
      04-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #92
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

home sound/ car sound

I am relatively new to this forum and do not want to offend BUT I am a 35 year seasoned audiophile and search for the most NATURAL sound- with all due respect I think the sound of PG's home equipment(only the headphones are considered reasonably natural sounding) may be predisposing him to expect a more spectacular sound than is normal in real music-I am getting my E90 this week and have not heard the premium sound that I ordered so I cannot comment but if I were going to upgrade the bass in the direction of realism I would consider moving ONE of the woofers an inch to the left or right and an inch forward or back-the reason is:low frequencies have long wavelengths and interact with room/car boundries -when two woofers are symetricaly located with respect to the "walls" of the car there is renforcement - cancellation of certain frequencies and added output at other frequencies giving uneven and unatural bass-when the woofers are different distances from the boundries the cancellation effects and renforcement effects still happen but they happen at DIFFERENT frequencies for each woofer giving an overall smoother bass sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #93
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmquadri View Post
IMO getting an aftermarket system isnt worth the possible hassles, electrical/trim/rattle issues that i've dealt with in the past. I believe getting the best sound system that the factory can provide is the most convenient and "fail-safe" way to enjoy tunes while driving these 70k beasts!
Completely agree: don't have the time nor inclination to eff around w/ this, so guess I will suffer some sub-optimal sound to have the flex of the EQ. I will try and use PG's setting tips to improve the OEM set-up.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 02:06 AM   #94
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

I wasn't impressed by the premium sound system either. I think someday I will upgrade the audio system; however, it is at the latest after everything I plan to do ^^
      06-09-2009, 05:58 AM   #95
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

As a guy who appreciates a good system, but far from an audiophile, I will add that my pleasure with the e92 setup is primarily derived from my displeasure (and corresponding long-term acclimation) with the e46 stereo.

My old woofer used to illicit a cricket-esq chirp from the rear deck during long low frequencies and the highs were pretty fuzzy.

I was pleasantly surprised to notice no Harmon Kardon badging in the new one but equally, if not more so, surprised at a lack of any stereo label w/ a $1900 option...not that I really care about who made the speakers as long as they sound good but, from what i've seen in other luxury car brands, maintaining the brand identity requires too many plastic logos on the speaker covers (ie. Bose, Harmon Kardon, Mark Levinson, etc.).

My props to BMW for improving the e46 tunes while moving away from the all too familiar over-logo efforts.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #96
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Well, I must say Im about to order my E90 and I don't think I will get the enhanced system. I listen to all music be it Jazz, Classical, R&B, Rock and everything in between and I just want good sounds with great highs, mids and bass when needed. I have upgraded every other car that I have had with head unit and speakers but I want to keep the OEM head unit and see what the installer recommends for speakers/amps and what not.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #97
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Thanks for posting up these settings, PG. The stereo sounds drastically better.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #98
blueman2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

INCREDIBLE improvement in sound!!

PG,

Thanks SO much for the settings recommendation. I was very disappointed with the default settings on the enhanced sound system. My old Jag sounded much better than the M3. But with these, everything sounds solid!!

My DTS copy of Blue Man Group's "Audio" never sounded better. When the 3rd track "T.V. Song" kicks in, it absolutely kicks my A$$. Clean, crisp, and thundering!! Only downside is that it does not appear to pass the full 5.1 into separate channels but rather down-mixes to 2 channel stereo. But still sounds great.

Now, I am happy with the $2000 price tag on the system. Before, I was feeling quite ripped off.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #99
Jer311
Rep
Drives: 328xi Coupe

Garage List
PG settings

Just got a 2007 328xi and it has a $1200 premium sound with DSP option. Just wondering if i could get some overall specs on the stereo. Also, I would greatly appreciate getting a look at these PG settings. Thanks for your help!

Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #100
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Can someone repost settings? Don't want to trawl through 5 pages if someone know where it is... Cheers
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #101
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

The premium sound system is a disgrace. The primary reason for the issue is that BMW feels they can get away with essentially putting in a dollar store POS system in a 80k car. If you look at the price of the parts that go into the system, it uses speakers that cost BMW about $75 and it sounds just like a system who's speakers would cost $75. BMW easily makes around $1300 on the audio system, which is an extremely unfair and horrific way to do business. The sound system is profit to them, there is nothing premium about it, but calling it an "entry level, heavily marked up audio system" wouldn't go over as well i think. The extremely messed up part about the way BMW choses to do business with it's audio system is that they could charge $3500, and maintain an identical profit margin, but put one of the best sound systems on the planet that really is premium. It's really a sad state of affairs.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #102
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
The premium sound system is a disgrace. The primary reason for the issue is that BMW feels they can get away with essentially putting in a dollar store POS system in a 80k car. If you look at the price of the parts that go into the system, it uses speakers that cost BMW about $75 and it sounds just like a system who's speakers would cost $75. BMW easily makes around $1300 on the audio system, which is an extremely unfair and horrific way to do business. The sound system is profit to them, there is nothing premium about it, but calling it an "entry level, heavily marked up audio system" wouldn't go over as well i think. The extremely messed up part about the way BMW choses to do business with it's audio system is that they could charge $3500, and maintain an identical profit margin, but put one of the best sound systems on the planet that really is premium. It's really a sad state of affairs.
Not sure where you are getting your information. The company that make speakers for the Dirac system in the BMWs makes speakers for JL Audio, Revox, and Jehnert. Of all the components in the enhanced system, the speakers are generally very highly regarded. It's the Dirac tuning and sound conditioning that drives some people crazy. http://www.lpgmbh.com/en/index.html

I'm not saying the system is a great value, but do some research before you put your foot in your mouth. Tired of seeing generalizing statements about the Dirac systems from people who don't know any better.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #103
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
Not sure where you are getting your information. The company that make speakers for the Dirac system in the BMWs makes speakers for JL Audio, Revox, and Jehnert. Of all the components in the enhanced system, the speakers are generally very highly regarded. It's the Dirac tuning and sound conditioning that drives some people crazy. http://www.lpgmbh.com/en/index.html

I'm not saying the system is a great value, but do some research before you put your foot in your mouth. Tired of seeing generalizing statements about the Dirac systems from people who don't know any better.
Yup, the components in the Individual Audio system are for the most part, high quality. Its the tuning of the system and people ultra high expectations of the system that make people crazy. No matter how much you paid for a manufacturer's premium sound system, you shouldn't ever expect it to compete with an aftermarket system of comparable cost. There are too many limitations that the OEM system needs to account for that make it an apples to oranges comparison. Plus, you aren't paying the high price for just the raw materials. You're paying for the R&D that it takes to make a system fully factory integrated. This kind of integration usually happens at very low volume compared to the amount of aftermarket products sold so the price per unit will be higher.
      06-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #104
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Wasn't Legion5 proved wrong in another thread in the G.D. whereby he retracted his original sentiments? And now he's making them again? Confused much?

*Edit* here it is.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...d+worth&page=3

Plus he originally said they were $150 speakers. Now they are $75? Shit by the time my car is made they will be $25 speakers
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #105
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
Wasn't Legion5 proved wrong in another thread in the G.D. whereby he retracted his original sentiments? And now he's making them again? Confused much?

*Edit* here it is.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...d+worth&page=3

Plus he originally said they were $150 speakers. Now they are $75? Shit by the time my car is made they will be $25 speakers
Foot in mouth disease is pretty common in these parts
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #106
Jer311
Rep
Drives: 328xi Coupe

Garage List
PG Settings

So could I get those PG settings. Had a chance to listen to the system with setting all flat today. I was using a droid, which provided some pretty awful audio quality. I was not overly surprised by the system nor was I disappointed. It sounded like I though it would. Which is better than the Bose system that was in the A4 I just traded in. That's just my opinion though. What I really would like is those PG settings.....could someone post those or dm me or something??
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #107
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer311 View Post
So could I get those PG settings. Had a chance to listen to the system with setting all flat today. I was using a droid, which provided some pretty awful audio quality. I was not overly surprised by the system nor was I disappointed. It sounded like I though it would. Which is better than the Bose system that was in the A4 I just traded in. That's just my opinion though. What I really would like is those PG settings.....could someone post those or dm me or something??
I'm pretty sure the premium sound system in the E9x M3's is totally different from what you have in your 328. You should have better luck getting your question answered in the appropriate forum on E90Post.