BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

01-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #67
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

So a few things. BMW and Porsche are two different animals. BMW makes great cars, and SUV's and motorcycles etc. Porsche is a sports car company, always has been and always will be. They branched out a few years ago ( broke my heart ) but at their core they are a sports car company. There are a few manufactures that have stayed true to their roots, and BMW isn't one of them.

If you can manage it, get both. And then see if you want to keep both or keep the one that speaks to you. You can by a good 964 and keep it for a year and not lose any money, and your 850 will hold it's value.....then let your heart decide. Life is short....I always wanted one, and made up my mind (with my wifes permission) to get one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      01-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #68
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
So a few things. BMW and Porsche are two different animals. BMW makes great cars, and SUV's and motorcycles etc. Porsche is a sports car company, always has been and always will be. They branched out a few years ago ( broke my heart ) but at their core they are a sports car company. There are a few manufactures that have stayed true to their roots, and BMW isn't one of them.

If you can manage it, get both. And then see if you want to keep both or keep the one that speaks to you. You can by a good 964 and keep it for a year and not lose any money, and your 850 will hold it's value.....then let your heart decide. Life is short....I always wanted one, and made up my mind (with my wifes permission) to get one.
Well said. And love the recent changes. You just need to kill those silly orange corner lights and use the Euro ones.

[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AL._SX355_.jpg[/IMG]

If you're really adventurous, you can cane the bumperettes too.

[IMG]http://ipocars.com/imgs/a/d/s/c/j/po...1993_1_lgw.jpg[/IMG]

I had two friends with E31's, both have since had various Porsches and neither have bought another BMW. Not sure if there's a message in there or not.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-21-2020, 08:14 PM   #69
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:

SD....shhhhhhh!!!!!! Lets keep it quite on the sportscar company we know and love thats is def not from Munich
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-22-2020, 01:23 AM   #70
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Quote:
So a few things. BMW and Porsche are two different animals. BMW makes great cars, and SUV's and motorcycles etc. Porsche is a sports car company, always has been and always will be. They branched out a few years ago ( broke my heart ) but at their core they are a sports car company. There are a few manufactures that have stayed true to their roots, and BMW isn't one of them
Imo, BMW does stick to its roots. It's an ENGINE company, and they first stuck those engine into the airplanes then motorcycles and cars.) Afaik, they've been sticking their engines into motorcycles for longer than Porsche was making its cars. So I suppose that's a one continuous tradition) completely offtop, but the fact that they have been making motorcycles for so long is what makes me respect them more than any other car manufacturers.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-22-2020, 02:25 AM   #71
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I don't think porsche is a sportscar company anymore. They make and sell considerably more SUV's than sportscars nowadays and they use a volkswagen/audi SUV platform for that. Not much 'sportscar' about that. If any, they are a performance car company, or a luxury car company. Or about 1/3 'sportscar' company.

I fear that Lamborghini will go down this road too. If so, than this is apparently what happens when falling under VAG ownership.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 01-22-2020 at 02:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:07 AM   #72
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I don't think porsche is a sportscar company anymore. They make and sell considerably more SUV's than sportscars nowadays and they use a volkswagen/audi SUV platform for that. Not much 'sportscar' about that. If any, they are a performance car company, or a luxury car company. Or about 1/3 'sportscar' company.

I fear that Lamborghini will go down this road too. If so, than this is apparently what happens when falling under VAG ownership.
My take on that is that the SUV's are built to support the sports car side of the business. Gone are the days of the hand built cars but that's the same for just about every one except the boutique companies......I'd say they still build sports cars, look at the 911T and Spyder......and as far as performance goes look at the Ring times. Hell even their SUVs are not just a Tiguan. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a BMW fan, but their product line and Ultimate Driving Machine mantra is long gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:09 AM   #73
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Well said. And love the recent changes. You just need to kill those silly orange corner lights and use the Euro ones.

[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AL._SX355_.jpg[/IMG]

If you're really adventurous, you can cane the bumperettes too.

[IMG]http://ipocars.com/imgs/a/d/s/c/j/po...1993_1_lgw.jpg[/IMG]

I had two friends with E31's, both have since had various Porsches and neither have bought another BMW. Not sure if there's a message in there or not.
Those are both on my list of things to do. I have too many toys and too many projects right now.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      01-22-2020, 05:16 AM   #74
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm still a BMW fan, but their product line and Ultimate Driving Machine mantra is long gone.
I don't see how BMW's lineup now is very much different than say 20 years ago, or even 40+ years ago.....Unlike porsche's lineup.

BMW has always been a general car manufacturer that makes cars for the normal public and makes high performance models using certain platforms of their normal lineup.
Hell, there even was a time that bmw specifically targeted cheap basic compact cars, competing with fiat and french brands in the compact car market. They even now try and enter that market again with a line of cheaper fwd cars.

If any brand is a shadow of it's own past, it's Porsche.
My guess is that that's what happens when sold out to a company like VAG, so I also fear for the Lamborghini future heritage.

I also fear for Ferrari's future. Luckily Marchionne is now out of the picture of course, but I wonder if Camilleri can rival di Montezemolo
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 01-22-2020 at 05:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:36 AM   #75
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=GuidoK;25714593]I don't see how BMW's lineup now is very much different than say 20 years ago, or even 40+ years ago.....Unlike porsche's lineup.

BMW has always been a general car manufacturer that makes cars for the normal public and makes high performance models using certain platforms of their normal lineup.
Hell, there even was a time that bmw specifically targeted cheap basic compact cars, competing with fiat and french brands in the compact car market. They even now try and enter that market again with a line of cheaper fwd cars.

This is actually my point. BMW has never really been a sports car company, they built great cars and great sports cars, their core business was never just one.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #76
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Something is weird about this thread. Over the last two years, the OP’s post, complete with pictures and virtually the same text, is reposted three times. Is there a glitch in the DB? Or did OP think about selling his car at 3 distinct points and resurrect his thread each time?

Anyway, i enjoyed seeing the pics of the 850 every time. The CSI to me is the true M8 despite never being named that. Now that we actually have an M8...it’s not a bad looking car but it absolutely pales when parked next to the 850CSi. It’s like sitting in an outdoor cafe in Italy, admiring a cute young girl at a table, and realizing that Monica Bellucci is at the next table.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #77
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
Hi there guys. Since I have always been a huge 911 fan I am thinking about getting one. I am talking about the newer ones. The reason I ask and I know its a long shot since its a Porsche forum but I am afraid I would miss the BMW. My heart has been always beating for the Porsche but I have never owned one.
Also would would you say Porsche is better than BMW?
There is one thing that I have been thinking.
I have BMW e31 850 "CSI" as I had all moved from a crashed CSI into my 850 and I love it. I have put actually crazy heart into and and a lot of love At the moment I am having mixed feelings and some might say afraid of owning 2 cars.
What would you do? Give me good arguments
Sell the BMW and get the 911?
A friend of mine said that when I would get the 911 I would just forget about the BMW.
Another friend that actually owns both said to own them both.
So What would you do?

Here is my e31.

Were these pictures taken with a potato?
      01-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #78
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Something is weird about this thread. Over the last two years, the OP’s post, complete with pictures and virtually the same text, is reposted three times. Is there a glitch in the DB? Or did OP think about selling his car at 3 distinct points and resurrect his thread each time?

Anyway, i enjoyed seeing the pics of the 850 every time. The CSI to me is the true M8 despite never being named that. Now that we actually have an M8...it’s not a bad looking car but it absolutely pales when parked next to the 850CSi. It’s like sitting in an outdoor cafe in Italy, admiring a cute young girl at a table, and realizing that Monica Bellucci is at the next table.
Yeah, this is a weird thread with the same story but different pics and over a two year span he still posting the question
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #79
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Porsche are cool but are they all that cool?
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #80
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I've always wanted a 964 Turbo but I sure can't afford one!
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-26-2020, 09:11 PM   #81
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Yes

Edit: actually I see that u have CSI.....maybe keep it, pretty special car
Appreciate 0