BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-19-2021, 05:20 PM   #45
mmuller
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I read it as $3,000 for something that just fucking works every time.
Except it doesn’t. Spending 5 days a week right seating cars with data systems and cameras, I have yet to see a setup that ‘just worked’

Sunday’s client was a perfect example. New Cayman GT4 Clubsport MR. Freshly installed Vbox system. 5 sessions on track and it recorded 2 of them. Plus the two trips to the gas pumps, because they where super helpful. Also, if the Vbox isn’t mount properly, they collect garbage data for G. The favorite thing for the guys with GT3RS’s to do is to put one in the glovebox. Then they wonder why their data is all spikey.
Appreciate 3
redpriest2147.00
Kelse921131.50
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      04-19-2021, 06:02 PM   #46
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Just got an old aim solo dl and downloaded racerender. Used it this weekend with a gopro. Synced with gear shift leaving pit lane, and then watched for a half lap and adjusted the sync a couple times until perfect. Very easy. As another said it combines the split gopro video clips automagically as well. Racestudio on the other hand...seems a bit more cumbersome. I'm not one to pour over data though honestly. But I may start to dabble once I have the ECU connection.
      04-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #47
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Just got an old aim solo dl and downloaded racerender. Used it this weekend with a gopro. Synced with gear shift leaving pit lane, and then watched for a half lap and adjusted the sync a couple times until perfect. Very easy. As another said it combines the split gopro video clips automagically as well. Racestudio on the other hand...seems a bit more cumbersome. I'm not one to pour over data though honestly. But I may start to dabble once I have the ECU connection.
RaceStudio, definitely requires some patiences to understand the windows 95 interface. I had to watch a few youtube training videos to get my head around it. This is one clunky interface.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      04-19-2021, 09:45 PM   #48
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
RaceStudio, definitely requires some patiences to understand the windows 95 interface. I had to watch a few youtube training videos to get my head around it. This is one clunky interface.
Even Studio 3 Beta leaves much to be desired. I don't understand how in 2021 the UX can be this poor. AIM hardware is generally great, their software blows...
      04-19-2021, 10:21 PM   #49
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Even Studio 3 Beta leaves much to be desired. I don't understand how in 2021 the UX can be this poor. AIM hardware is generally great, their software blows...
Here I am just hoping for an iOS app, so I don't need to whip out the laptop.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:06 PM   #50
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Here I am just hoping for an iOS app, so I don't need to whip out the laptop.
Yeah, I've given up on that dream.
Kelse921131.50
      04-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #51
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Cosworth Pi Toolbox isn't a lot better. It took me a lot of YT videos and fucking around to finally get comfortable with it.
      04-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #52
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Racerender is also a windows 95 UX lol. It took awhile to get a decent template but now that is done, its just text changes for location/date and syncing the start of the video. After that, its just exporting laps at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #53
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
The honest reality is that they're not sending their best. There's a finite # of engineers/designers that really understand UX well and they are being paid top dollar to work at the big tech companies. I doubt AIM has the budget to compete.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #54
RennBaer
Rep
Drives: F31 Wagon, E90 M3

Some of you might want to consider giving Track Attack a shot (https://trackattack.io/) if you're looking for something to analyze data/video post session at the track. It's a data analysis software that can do automatic syncing of data and video. I haven't used it in a few years, but I remember the auto-sync feature working surprisingly well and it was easy to adjust the sync if it was slightly off. What's also nice is that the software is able to import data from every type of data system. The auto-sync feature used to be included with the free version of the software, but I think you have to pay like $8/month now for the upgraded version to get that feature. I think there's a free trial though if you just want to see if it will work for what you're trying to accomplish.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:06 PM   #55
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RennBaer View Post
Some of you might want to consider giving Track Attack a shot (https://trackattack.io/) if you're looking for something to analyze data/video post session at the track. It's a data analysis software that can do automatic syncing of data and video. I haven't used it in a few years, but I remember the auto-sync feature working surprisingly well and it was easy to adjust the sync if it was slightly off. What's also nice is that the software is able to import data from every type of data system. The auto-sync feature used to be included with the free version of the software, but I think you have to pay like $8/month now for the upgraded version to get that feature. I think there's a free trial though if you just want to see if it will work for what you're trying to accomplish.
God I hate subscription services more than RaceRender... it's not even close. $8 a month in a ridiculous amount if you track for years on end
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #56
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Yeah fuck that… subscription services suck.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:07 PM   #57
RennBaer
Rep
Drives: F31 Wagon, E90 M3

That's exactly why I stopped using it, even if it is only $8. Unfortunately, there are basically no options for auto-syncing data to high quality video short of spending the big bucks for something like Vbox. If you're looking to quickly analyze data with video between sessions you're most likely going to end up with a system like that eventually.
Appreciate 0