BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

04-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #89
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

I haven't seen kitw post in months, I don't even know if he is still on the forums.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #90
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by project e46m3 View Post
Do you have any pictures of the ESS X-Pipe? Curious to see the location of the crossover compared to the oem. i believe the only X-Pipes that have "better" cross over is ESS, Gintani, and MRF.

Side note: Evolve X-Pipe has the cross over in the exact same location as OEM X-Pipe.
http://esstuning.com/ess-e9x-m3-exhuast-full-system/

Only drawback I found is that it has no flanges to attach to the rear cross-member. Otherwise, the x section appears to be very well executed IMO. I considered the Gintani as well but decided this design looks more effective.

Of course this is just being knit picky because I'm NA, so the performance difference to a x in the stock location is probably negligible. But hey, that's why we drive M cars right!

Last edited by M43S7RO; 04-16-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #91
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I haven't seen kitw post in months, I don't even know if he is still on the forums.

Dave
Kit sold me on the Corsa, I was narrowed down to it and the MPE and pm'd him a couple of weeks ago for thoughts on the two since he had owned both and he responded pretty quickly.
      04-18-2016, 04:16 AM   #92
Ingenio
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Grey E92 M3 (6MT)

Ditto on the Corsa... had mine for a year and love it! Check out the M3 World xpipes... Awesome quality and the exchange rate is in your favour now!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #93
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagman View Post
Why did you go with the ESS xpipe and not the Evolve one since you have the Etronic exhaust?
The ESS Xpipe does not require software to be emissions compliant, so you can add it to a stock ECU and it just gives you more sound and some extra hp.
I do not want software as I'm under warranty. The day I get software it will surely be ESS

The jury is still out on the Etronic. There is a very slight volume difference in 'open' vs 'closed'... as you can imagine, people do not get Valvetronic exhausts to not notice volume differences in both modes.
I hope with the HFC Xpipe I finally get one mode to be 'loud' and the other to be 'sport'... we shall see...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 02:59 AM   #94
jagman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
The ESS Xpipe does not require software to be emissions compliant, so you can add it to a stock ECU and it just gives you more sound and some extra hp.
I do not want software as I'm under warranty. The day I get software it will surely be ESS

The jury is still out on the Etronic. There is a very slight volume difference in 'open' vs 'closed'... as you can imagine, people do not get Valvetronic exhausts to not notice volume differences in both modes.
I hope with the HFC Xpipe I finally get one mode to be 'loud' and the other to be 'sport'... we shall see...
Thanks for your thoughts
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #95
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts
I installed the Xpipe and I'm finally happy. On open there's bark to the exhaust and on closed it is quite civilized.

We'll see if the Xpipe does not end up giving a CEL as I'm on stock software
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #96
nadans
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CS

thanks for the nice write up. Sound is very refined I think you achieved the sound you were looking for without being too loud. Can't believe you had 6 m3s in the past lol
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #97
jagman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I installed the Xpipe and I'm finally happy. On open there's bark to the exhaust and on closed it is quite civilized.

We'll see if the Xpipe does not end up giving a CEL as I'm on stock software
Hey Shadow,

Did the back end of your ESS x-pipe have a male or female connector? Unlike the OEM and Velaforza midpipes I've had, my ESS X-pipe that was recently delivered came with a female rear end. That doesn't connect well with the female front end of the Corsa pipe I also recently got. It's bizarre. I read from someone else that his ESS X-pipe ends with the correct male end.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #98
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Hey Shadow,

Did the back end of your ESS x-pipe have a male or female connector? Unlike the OEM and Velaforza midpipes I've had, my ESS X-pipe that was recently delivered came with a female rear end. That doesn't connect well with the female front end of the Corsa pipe I also recently got. It's bizarre. I read from someone else that his ESS X-pipe ends with the correct male end.
I don't remember although I do have a pic of the complete exhaust before mounting. PM your email or cellphone and I'll send it to you

With my OEM xpipe I had zero issues installing the Evolve catback. Then a year later I installed the ESS xpipe and it mated perfectly with the Evolve catback, so they all seem to be compatible
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #99
FazAttack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

30 different exhausts!!!! I can barely afford one : great post though sounds amazing
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #100
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Great write-up, I had the cross on my car because of kitw, it's an amazing exhaust. I also came back from the f80 for the exhaust same reasons kitw mentions, could not have said it better myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #101
SeeSax
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I hope it's not against the rules to dig up a two year old thread, but this thread is what pushed me to get the Corsa exhaust and a new X-pipe for my E92 M3 and I finally had it all installed. I couldn't get the ESS X-pipe because apparently they don't make it with HFC anymore, so I got a similar one from AFE and ordered it from EAS (EAS rocks!). It's got HFC and resonators, so pretty similar to the ESS one.

Sound is just magical. It's civil and exotic around town, with a serious scream when you get on the gas and wind it up into the RPMs. I really need to get a video going, but the in-car ones I did really suck. Need to figure out a way, but anyway I highly recommend the Corsa for anyone that's looking for less rumble and rasp and more of that exotic higher-pitched sound. Next to my friend's E92 with the Borla ATAK, they don't even sound like the same care, not even remotely. His is setting off car alarms at idle and low RPM and mine sound like a purring V12 lol.

-Collin-
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #102
bb_00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Wow! That's the exact sound that I want on my M. Awesome write-up, OP!

Seesax, I can't wait to see your video. Where did you end up getting the Corsa?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #103
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Any idea if catless corsa will pass sound tests on racetracks?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #104
SeeSax
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_00 View Post

Sorry that I missed this. I got it from Amazon, surprisingly. And then during June, there was a $150 rebate that I just sent in, so it brought it down to like $1,300 and some change.

Still loving the sound - it's just magical. I need to get a video and sorry for the delay on that. It seriously puts a smile on my face every time I go for a drive. Only downside (or upside) is that every jack a** wants to race me at every stop light with it LOL

Oh, and the tune to delete the cold start makes the car actually usable in the morning when my 1.5 year old son is sleeping :-)

-Collin-
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #105
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP Mineral White

This sounds amazing!!! I wonder how this same x-pipe set up would sound with the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #106
SeeSax
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedA View Post
This sounds amazing!!! I wonder how this same x-pipe set up would sound with the MPE.
Can't speak to the MPE, but I did the X-pipe first with the stock exhaust and it added a nice growl to the sound. It was definitely a little louder under throttle, but not as noticeable just around town. Overall a nice change, so I would expect the sound to be awesome with the MPE. All speculation of course :-)

-Collin-
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 04:29 AM   #107
Whyte Dynamyte
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine White e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeSax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_00 View Post

Sorry that I missed this. I got it from Amazon, surprisingly. And then during June, there was a $150 rebate that I just sent in, so it brought it down to like $1,300 and some change.

Still loving the sound - it's just magical. I need to get a video and sorry for the delay on that. It seriously puts a smile on my face every time I go for a drive. Only downside (or upside) is that every jack a** wants to race me at every stop light with it LOL

Oh, and the tune to delete the cold start makes the car actually usable in the morning when my 1.5 year old son is sleeping :-)

-Collin-
Did you replace the tips?
      08-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #108
SeeSax
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Dynamyte View Post
Did you replace the tips?
Kept the original tips, I actually like them :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #109
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeSax View Post
I hope it's not against the rules to dig up a two year old thread, but this thread is what pushed me to get the Corsa exhaust and a new X-pipe for my E92 M3 and I finally had it all installed. I couldn't get the ESS X-pipe because apparently they don't make it with HFC anymore, so I got a similar one from AFE and ordered it from EAS (EAS rocks!). It's got HFC and resonators, so pretty similar to the ESS one.

Sound is just magical. It's civil and exotic around town, with a serious scream when you get on the gas and wind it up into the RPMs. I really need to get a video going, but the in-car ones I did really suck. Need to figure out a way, but anyway I highly recommend the Corsa for anyone that's looking for less rumble and rasp and more of that exotic higher-pitched sound. Next to my friend's E92 with the Borla ATAK, they don't even sound like the same care, not even remotely. His is setting off car alarms at idle and low RPM and mine sound like a purring V12 lol.

-Collin-
After trying the Borla ATAK out which had a nice tone to it but just a bit too much (and yes setting of alarms in the mornings…), your input here makes me wanna give an after market pipe another try. Your side by side comparison with Corsa makes me... want that. Would you say it is a little lower volume vs the ATAK coming up in RMP also?

Last edited by Helmsman; 11-19-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 06:37 PM   #110
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Bumping an old thread!

I'm in the market for the Corsa after watching this video. A bunch of questions -

1. Can a shop cut off the exhaust tips without removing the exhaust from the car, once its installed? And any recommended tips? I'm going to order with black tips - fingers crossed they look good enough.

2. What X-Pipe to pair with the Corsa? the ESS pipe in this thread is not longer for sale. So do I look for an HFC plus resonators?

Cannot wait to get this setup. Wish the Corsa cans and tips were not so ugly though.. adds even more work to getting an exhaust setup

Thanks in advance.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00