BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #1
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 M3

Re blacking out headlight corner part help pls

Hi guys this piggy backs off of my other post re the issue I have with the corner signal lense being messed up. How does one get the part of the headlight on the side blacked out. Do you tint the plastic lens Piece or do you leave it clear and paint around the turn signal black ? I’m having my shop done it so I don’t know what it looks like opened up. Pic is of the part I mean,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 01:21 AM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Is the clear plastic lens messed up, or the chrome reflector? If it's the reflector then just paint the reflector with black paint. I have blacked out headlamps with blacked out blinker reflectors and the blinkers still work.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 01:30 AM   #3
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Is the clear plastic lens messed up, or the chrome reflector? If it's the reflector then just paint the reflector with black paint. I have blacked out headlamps with blacked out blinker reflectors and the blinkers still work.
Hay unfortunately it’s the lense.. that stupid plastic part .. pic below ... my guy should have painted the chrome housing not try and tint the plastic lense..

I’m wondering if it could be buffed out to be clear then paint the chrome black. Or can this piece just be left out? Have it open ... wish I could just buy the one piece but so far no go..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 05:23 AM   #4
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

vht night shades

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
vht night shades
That is the product that apparently caused this damage , the piece you see has been sanded to get the vht nightshade off as apparently it dried really quick and gave a cracked look... hence the state I’m in now... so maybe he can try and polish it back to a clear look. ??
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
killakill
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3,6th Gen Camaro SS

What u want to do is get rid of the clear lens completely dont use it. The chrome inner housing can be painted black. Use oven cleaner to get the chrome off and spray paint it black. You can still install it without the clear lens. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromey View Post
Hay unfortunately it’s the lense.. that stupid plastic part .. pic below ... my guy should have painted the chrome housing not try and tint the plastic lense..

I’m wondering if it could be buffed out to be clear then paint the chrome black. Or can this piece just be left out? Have it open ... wish I could just buy the one piece but so far no go..
Appreciate 2
      09-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakill View Post
What u want to do is get rid of the clear lens completely dont use it. The chrome inner housing can be painted black. Use oven cleaner to get the chrome off and spray paint it black. You can still install it without the clear lens. Problem solved.
I was hoping this was possible. Cheers
Appreciate 1
Scharbag2620.50