BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

07-29-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Thumbs down eas too big to care

Back in June I had my battery replaced at eas. The car had coding on it previously, but I was never informed that any coding loss would occur from the registration process (could have easily restored while re-registering battery I'm sure). When brought to the attention of Kevin, he said he would ask management about helping me out.

After 3 weeks of no contact I reach back out to Kevin and he tells me I need to pay full price to code a few items. Tom tells me the same and then stops responding. As a tuner specialty shop, and also knowing going in that electronic work was being done I feel they should have informed me of such.

I've had my car at eas for cosmetic work, mechanical work, some oil changes on multiple occasions, but the principle and their conduct of my last experience was unacceptable. Just shows me they're too big to care. That's fine, as a consumer I won't support them with my business anymore, but I think it should be known that eas isn't the only shop in town.

Good luck with your business model in the future eas, when you fail on faithful customers you only fail yourself in the long run.
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

That's a bummer. Would have been more beneficial for them to simply offer you the coding services which you previously paid for complimentary, or at the very least at a discounted rate, rather than losing your business all together.

As an alternative solution, I recommend Alex@Alpine for all coding services. He does everything remotely after shipping you the OBD2 cable. His prices are cheaper than EAS and the added convenience of not having to leave your home is a big plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
Good luck with your business model in the future eas, when you fail on faithful customers you only fail yourself in the long run.
Cannot agree more with this statement. Not in regards to EAS specifically, but to businesses in general.
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 1
cenix379.00
      07-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Back in June I had my battery replaced at eas. The car had coding on it previously, but I was never informed that any coding loss would occur from the registration process (could have easily restored while re-registering battery I'm sure). When brought to the attention of Kevin, he said he would ask management about helping me out.

After 3 weeks of no contact I reach back out to Kevin and he tells me I need to pay full price to code a few items. Tom tells me the same and then stops responding. As a tuner specialty shop, and also knowing going in that electronic work was being done I feel they should have informed me of such.

I've had my car at eas for cosmetic work, mechanical work, some oil changes on multiple occasions, but the principle and their conduct of my last experience was unacceptable. Just shows me they're too big to care. That's fine, as a consumer I won't support them with my business anymore, but I think it should be known that eas isn't the only shop in town.

So...With the registration process from your new battery you lost your coding ?
If I may ask you ..What kind of coding have you lost ?
And is this normal that you lost your coding with the registration of your battery ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
cenix379.00
      07-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #4
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:

And is this normal that you lost your coding with the registration of your battery ?
Yes it is normal. By coding he means special features for the car that must be coded by changing certain settings within the cars system.
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #5
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
That's a bummer. Would have been more beneficial for them to simply offer you the coding services which you previously paid for complimentary, or at the very least at a discounted rate, rather than losing your business all together.

As an alternative solution, I recommend Alex@Alpine for all coding services. He does everything remotely after shipping you the OBD2 cable. His prices are cheaper than EAS and the added convenience of not having to leave your home is a big plus!

Cannot agree more with this statement. Not in regards to EAS specifically, but to businesses in general.
It's the principle. Perhaps they normally do let customers know about losing coding for this process, and perhaps they simply forgot to remind me of it. As a result, I'm not about getting something for nothing since I did not make mention of the existing coding done to my car. So possibly a lack of communication could have prevented the coding loss if we had spoke about it beforehand. I even offered to pay, at least half or a discounted rate of their normal coding services to get it restored but I was told it's full price to code anything. Basically a "deal with it" attitude and they stopped communicating with me altogether.

Quote:
EAS told me after the fact that coding would be lost during the new battery registration process. If this is true/normal or not, obviously I did not know. My car was not coded heavily. However, I lost features that were the most important to me:

--folding mirrors/closing windows/sunroof via keyfob
--Euro double hazard blinkers (not important to me)
--long press key eject car shutdown
--auto windows up/down even with door open

I also had Euro MDM, seat belt chimes off, and DVD in motion, and those features are still there.

I appreciate the support.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2017, 12:09 AM   #6
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

You can code most of that with icarly. You can use mine if you want. I'm by lax and oc sometimes.
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2017, 12:13 AM   #7
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
You can code most of that with icarly. You can use mine if you want. I'm by lax and oc sometimes.
That's an awesome gesture man. If you're ever in the North OC area, please hit me up. I'll pay you for the coding. I'll PM you.

Awesome community!
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2017, 06:43 AM   #8
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

EAS told me after the fact that coding would be lost during the new battery registration process. If this is true/normal or not, obviously I did not know. My car was not coded heavily. However, I lost features that were the most important to me:

--folding mirrors/closing windows/sunroof via keyfob
--Euro double hazard blinkers (not important to me)
--long press key eject car shutdown
--auto windows up/down even with door open

I also had Euro MDM, seat belt chimes off, and DVD in motion, and those features are still there.

I appreciate the support.
Roger that , thank you !
I wonder with my BPM tune and DCT software upgrade and I have some coding too .
DCT software upgrade is done via remote coding cable..

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
cenix379.00
      07-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Roger that , thank you !
I wonder with my BPM tune and DCT software upgrade and I have some coding too .
DCT software upgrade is done via remote coding cable..
I have the Dinan ECU tune and that was not affected by the battery replacement. My car is 6 speed manual, so I'm unsure about the DCT software upgrade, but hopefully it will remain much like the Euro MDM did.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I have the Dinan ECU tune and that was not affected by the battery replacement. My car is 6 speed manual, so I'm unsure about the DCT software upgrade, but hopefully it will remain much like the Euro MDM did.
Let us hope.Thank you for the information

Appreciate 1
cenix379.00
      07-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #11
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I had my car tuned as well as coded by BPM, and when I had my battery replaced last year, a local shop registered the battery for me.

I've never heard that registering a new battery can affect coding.
      07-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #12
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
I had my car tuned as well as coded by BPM, and when I had my battery replaced last year, a local shop registered the battery for me.

I've never heard that registering a new battery can affect coding.
I didn't think getting a replacement battery with the same specs as stock required re-registration either, but this is what EAS told me.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #13
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
I didn't think getting a replacement battery with the same specs as stock required re-registration either, but this is what EAS told me.
Each type of battery has a "charging map" that BMW has created from research. This changes the characteristics of the alternator's output depending on how long the battery has been in the vehicle. This "timer" is what starts when you register the new battery. There are also different maps for batteries of different amp/hour capacities.

Even if you change from one battery to another of the same type, if one has more amp/hour capacity than the other, then recoding is needed. The maps are also different for batteries with different amp/hour ratings.

If you don't register your battery, it's likely you'll keep getting this Battery Discharged warning on iDrive.
      07-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #14
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Battery registration will NEVER affect coding. There is no reason for it to if the registration is done correctly. It's evident whoever did your battery registration at EAS did not know what they were doing. This is 100% on them.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 2
cenix379.00
ashtaron141123.00
      07-31-2017, 06:52 PM   #15
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Battery registration will NEVER affect coding. There is no reason for it to if the registration is done correctly. It's evident whoever did your battery registration at EAS did not know what they were doing. This is 100% on them.
Thanks for the info. Well now, this makes me even more dissatisfied with the treatment I received.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #16
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

If you're looking for a shop in OC for future work, look no further than MRF Engineering, IMO.

He can also arrange tuning or coding at his shop through the provider of your choice (e.g., BPM Sport, Alex @ Alpine, etc.).
Appreciate 1
cenix379.00
      08-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #17
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
If you're looking for a shop in OC for future work, look no further than MRF Engineering, IMO.

He can also arrange tuning or coding at his shop through the provider of your choice (e.g., BPM Sport, Alex @ Alpine, etc.).
Yes, I've actually been in touch with Malek and he's a good, honest guy. It's just unfortunate because EAS is close to me. He'll be getting another new customer.

UPDATE: I had my functions restored by a fellow member whom I did not know previously, thanks msan. It's sad and awesome at the same time that the shop that I've spent thousands of dollars at over the last couple years would not take the time to restore 4 coded items which literally took 5 minutes, yet a complete stranger would take a moment out of his day to help another M3 owner for nothing.
Appreciate 7
blue-mw217.00
AdamJ39168.00
JTO245271.50
6ixSpd6008.50
8k_v837.50
      08-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #18
lkn415
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

This happened to me as well about two yrs back. I contacted eas about registering a battery for ~$50-60.

On my apt date, they told me I'd lose all my coding and they'd have to charge me ~$100ish to recode.

I agreed, paid, and moved on with my life.

they failed to code my car correctly, (NON Lci -> LCI tails). I ended up buying a carly and app and promised myself to never come back.
Appreciate 2
cenix379.00
      08-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #19
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Since when does registering a new battery will cause you to lose coding? I've done it twice on the M3 when chasing an electrical problem and I replaced the battery twice to eliminate that probability.

I replaced the stock battery on the X5M as well.

No coding was lost.

As a matter of fact, updating the I-level on both cars did not cause a loss of coding features too
Appreciate 1
cenix379.00
      08-03-2017, 12:37 AM   #20
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think irregardless of whether you lose coding or not during a battery re-registration process, I believe it's quite clear that there IS a way to get it done without losing one's existing coding.

EAS chooses to do it their way which is beneficial to them financially because if you lose your coding it's an automatic sale for them to recode. They did it to one member who previously posted, 2 years ago, and they tried to do that to me 2 months ago.

If they're such a cutting edge, service based enthusiast shop, you would hope they wouldn't try to get away with these things at the expense of their client base, which is quite big.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 12:33 AM   #21
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So I replaced my battery myself and registered it myself with my KD-can cable. I did not lose any coding. I have custom coding in FRM, CIC, COMBOX, ABG, CAS AND KOMBI. My only thought for your experience is too much time passed between battery removal and new battery hookup. I do not believe the ECU's in the car have NVRAM. So if power is gone too long the 1's and 0's become decayed, undefinable and ultimately corrupt. Hence default based off VO afterwords.
      03-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #22
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
So I replaced my battery myself and registered it myself with my KD-can cable. I did not lose any coding. I have custom coding in FRM, CIC, COMBOX, ABG, CAS AND KOMBI. My only thought for your experience is too much time passed between battery removal and new battery hookup. I do not believe the ECU's in the car have NVRAM. So if power is gone too long the 1's and 0's become decayed, undefinable and ultimately corrupt. Hence default based off VO afterwords.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, see, EAS is a tuner shop and I am not. It's not what I do on the daily. They would be fully aware of any fact/event that would cause my coding to be lost. So it is one of two possibilities:

1. They were not aware of the facts/events that would cause coding to be lost in battery replacement, or,

2. They knew about this and tried to make an extra $100 on the "backend" because they think you have no choice.

Both of which would indicate an incompetent shop or an unscrupulous/shady one. I'm inclined to say it is option #2.

Let me say though, my comments are strictly limited to their sales and management/ownership staff because their mechanics who are doing the actual hands-on do good and clean work from my past experiences with them. My issues are not from any actual work done on the car, but their poor business practices.

Thumbs down to EAS sales and ownership.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6008.50