BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #6821
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:
Do you guys hit the rev limiter a lot when on the track?
No. It's slow.
have you ever done it before on accident? Is it really bad on the car? I hit it today on accident but the moment i did it, i shifted up. I felt a pretty solid hit coming from the diff area and then it smelled weird inside of the car for a little bit. Drives fine now, did not brake anything i guess but for sure shortened up a life of some components in there
DCT or manual?

I've done it a few times. I have a DCT. Not only is it slow, but it's just not ideal. I shift at 8k. The last 200 rpms is just too short.
      09-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #6822
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do you guys hit the rev limiter a lot when on the track?
No. It's slow.
have you ever done it before on accident? Is it really bad on the car? I hit it today on accident but the moment i did it, i shifted up. I felt a pretty solid hit coming from the diff area and then it smelled weird inside of the car for a little bit. Drives fine now, did not brake anything i guess but for sure shortened up a life of some components in there
DCT or manual?

I've done it a few times. I have a DCT. Not only is it slow, but it's just not ideal. I shift at 8k. The last 200 rpms is just too short.
I usually shift at 8k as well or a little before but this time i got freaking distracted and hit the limiter. I was so mad.. I also have a DCT. Any idea how to explain that hit and then weird smell inside the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #6823
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Smell may be a coincidence. Can you describe it? Sweet smell? Burnt smell? Could have easily been someone else's smell cloud that you drove through. Maybe you sharted when you hit the limiter. Lol

I doubt you hurt anything. We've all done it.
      09-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #6824
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
I mean you don't want to drive down the road banging on the limiter, but just hitting it is perfectly fine. That's what it's there for. I feel like the smell might have just been psychological.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #6825
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MPH1S View Post
Quote:
I mean you don't want to drive down the road banging on the limiter, but just hitting it is perfectly fine. That's what it's there for. I feel like the smell might have just been psychological.
Or may be the smell was from me shitting my pants... What makes me worried is that my DCT started acting weird recently. When i am standing still, i tap a gas pedal to go, sometimes there is a bang that comes from the rear of the car. Most of the times its smooth however... Sometimes in very low speed and/or turning there is a clunk as if something has excessive play... other times its completely fine. With me hitting the limiter today, i experience the same "bang" as i do when sometimes taking off from stand still. I know that its just a track forum but you guys are very knowledgable and i just dont want to open up a whole another thread lol
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #6826
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Or may be the smell was from me shitting my pants... What makes me worried is that my DCT started acting weird recently. When i am standing still, i tap a gas pedal to go, sometimes there is a bang that comes from the rear of the car. Most of the times its smooth however... Sometimes in very low speed and/or turning there is a clunk as if something has excessive play... other times its completely fine. With me hitting the limiter today, i experience the same "bang" as i do when sometimes taking off from stand still. I know that its just a track forum but you guys are very knowledgable and i just dont want to open up a whole another thread lol
Well I guess it's possible that your diff fluid is overdue for a change (it will smell very strongly burnt when draining) and the "kick" to the diff during shifting "shook" it up enough for you to smell it. How many miles has it been since you changed the fluid?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #6827
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well I guess it's possible that your diff fluid is overdue for a change (it will smell very strongly burnt when draining) and the "kick" to the diff during shifting "shook" it up enough for you to smell it. How many miles has it been since you changed the fluid?
It was changed lie 5k miles ago or last year. Need to note that i did not put Friction Modifier but it does not really squeak in turns. I just add a little more gas and i never hear it in the turn, even 360.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #6828
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

what fluid did you use? zero fm is no bueno. oem needs a little, otherwise you'll accelerate the wear.
      09-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #6829
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
what fluid did you use? zero fm is no bueno. oem needs a little, otherwise you'll accelerate the wear.
Really, i was actually told exact opposite. I was told that FM allows more slip between plates while no FM locks quicker and does not slip as much. However it does make noise when it does not what to do, to lock or not (sharp low speed turns). I compensate that ny giving more gas so it locks and makes no sound. I used OEM Castrol 75w-140, just no FM
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 11:07 PM   #6830
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really, i was actually told exact opposite. I was told that FM allows more slip between plates while no FM locks quicker and does not slip as much. However it does make noise when it does not what to do, to lock or not (sharp low speed turns). I compensate that ny giving more gas so it locks and makes no sound. I used OEM Castrol 75w-140, just no FM
see post #25 in this thread;
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...booster&page=2

this was when i was looking for options when i was going to change the rear diff oil.
      09-02-2018, 11:25 PM   #6831
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
see post #25 in this thread;
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...ter&page=2

this was when i was looking for options when i was going to change the rear diff oil.
One of guys there says that the best oil to use is Castrol Syntrax 75w-140 because it has the correct amount of FM. Thats the exact oil i used in my diff, however i did notice some sound in low speed turns afterwards. Im still little bit skeptical to whether or not no FM diff oil makes clutches wear quicker. May be someone else can chip in?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #6832
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

driftflo is pretty knowledgeable in setting up diffs and testing them, i trust his opinion on oil. i also used the synthrax at his recommendation. i too get some noise out of the diff, but that is how an lsd works. nothing out of the norm.
      09-02-2018, 11:44 PM   #6833
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
driftflo is pretty knowledgeable in setting up diffs and testing them, i trust his opinion on oil. i also used the synthrax at his recommendation. i too get some noise out of the diff, but that is how an lsd works. nothing out of the norm.
Yeah so we have same oil in there then. If i give it little more gas through turns, it does not make the sound at all. But do you get any of those "bangs" when taking off say from a traffic light? It hapens rarely but happens. Sometimes it hits it just a little bit but most of times it smooth
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 12:03 AM   #6834
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah so we have same oil in there then. If i give it little more gas through turns, it does not make the sound at all. But do you get any of those "bangs" when taking off say from a traffic light? It hapens rarely but happens. Sometimes it hits it just a little bit but most of times it smooth
i have a one-piece carbon driveshaft and solid sub/diff bushings. so i feel a lot of things... i can feel when the dct clutch is engaging from a stop. i want to say that i can distinguish between the dct clutch engaging and gear lash. the car is very communicative in that way.
i wouldn't describe anything as a "bang." i get more of a clunk. almost like a chunk of wood being dropped in dirt. its a little muffled, but i can tell it is from the rear.
      09-03-2018, 12:31 AM   #6835
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
The OEM compatible diff fluids should still have some FM in them, just not the extra amount of FM to make the diffs quieter.

I'm more than happy with the Liqui Moly diff fluid I put in.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11584.50
      09-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #6836
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:

i have a one-piece carbon driveshaft and solid sub/diff bushings. so i feel a lot of things... i can feel when the dct clutch is engaging from a stop. i want to say that i can distinguish between the dct clutch engaging and gear lash. the car is very communicative in that way.
i wouldn't describe anything as a "bang." i get more of a clunk. almost like a chunk of wood being dropped in dirt. its a little muffled, but i can tell it is from the rear.
similar here and I love the clunks my car makes.
It feels so sporty.

I don't like bangs though....
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #6837
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Red Line 50WT Race Oil, S54, 4 track days.

About to beat the shit out of it on Pirelli's for six days and send in another oil sample.

09-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #6838
Visceral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M track mule, cars n bikes

Does everyone have a favorite streetable front lip/dam that has two air vents?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #6839
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
Does everyone have a favorite streetable front lip/dam that has two air vents?
If money were no object...

Either this or this from RKP

I especially like the shorty one, not only because better streetability but I actually prefer the look unless you're going full racecar

If I was actually buying one though, I'd probably go with JL motoring or aeuroplug because it would likely end up getting messed up and the fitment would be better than a $1-200 cheaper ebay model

Forcewerkz also has some solid offerings...
A more rugged (and cheaper) FRP model and a decently priced carbon fiber model
Appreciate 1
Visceral363.00
      09-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #6840
Visceral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M track mule, cars n bikes

Quote:
If money were no object...

Either this or this from RKP

I especially like the shorty one, not only because better streetability but I actually prefer the look unless you're going full racecar

If I was actually buying one though, I'd probably go with JL motoring or aeuroplug because it would likely end up getting messed up and the fitment would be better than a $1-200 cheaper ebay model

Forcewerkz also has some solid offerings...
A more rugged (and cheaper) FRP model and a decently priced carbon fiber model
Damn those RKP are exactly what I'm looking for.

Damn those RKP are expensive.

I wish the others had a better RKP-style hookup for tubing.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #6841
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_PDX View Post
This is all I got... so... I'm 2% whatever-that-country-is. Flag looks UAE. Those crazy people and their two-wheel shenanigans.
Think I got you beat
Higher with eyes closed
Attached Images

09-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #6842
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Isn't the rev limiter a soft cut in our cars? I've done it plenty of times when I can't hear my fucking car because some cup car is next to me loud as fuck and I'm shifting based on his exhaust note lol

It should be fine.