BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-15-2018, 07:46 PM   #23
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
About 2 and a half years. The car is also almost paid off. It was a 3 year loan. I did all kinds of preventative maintenance and now the last things left are brakes and DCT.
Ha! Keep it. No car payment!!! Icing on the cake.
      12-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #24
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Cut the crap and wrap. Best of both worlds!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:08 PM   #25
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

I have a gloss black wrap on my sunroof and from afar nobody notices that it’s not cf. The next wrap will be a satin carbon fiber wrap and with a ceramic coat it will look nearly identical I think and I still get to enjoy my sunroof. As much as I appreciate the weight reduction of the cf, I really prefer to have the light and air like others have said.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #26
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I've seen some posts on roof swaps before. It seems to be super expensive and involved to successfully swap for a CF roof. Save the money and get a different car if you're not emotionally attached.

I love sun roofs, and fresh air, but the e92 NEEDS that CF roof. It just looks so damn good.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #27
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
I ordered mine new with a sunroof. No regrets. I also think that, unless the car is light in color, the roof can look bad, like mismatched paint.

That being said, you should get what makes you happy. That's the entire point of this car.
      12-16-2018, 12:32 AM   #28
MahiC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 m3 ZCP Jet Black .

Y'all are talking about the looks, but about 50 lbs off the top and extra clearance for helmets makes it worth not having a little breeze.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 12:42 AM   #29
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

When I was searching for my e92, there were a few things I would not have settled on and a CF roof was DEFINITELY one of them. It's a major characteristic of the e92 M3 along with its quad tail pipes, power dome, and wider fenders. I came across several examples that checked every box but I still passed due to the sunroof. To me, it was that important.

OP, I know exactly what you are going through because I went through the same thing with my e93. I bought it because I loved driving with the top down but quickly realized it wasn't the car I wanted to keep long term. Lost a bunch of money trading it in for my e92 but 3 years later I still think it was the best move I made.

Your situation is a bit trickier though. On one hand, you have a solid car that you already invested a bunch of money into. There's no guarantee the new car will be as reliable, and you will probably need to maintain it all over again. If I were in your shoes, I think I would definitely try to do a roof swap first before considering selling the car. It will be far less than selling the car and buying a new one, and the car will be perfect afterwards. If you can find a reputable shop to do the swap for a good price, I think that's the best way to go in this situation. Good luck and I hope you get the CF roof! It's totally worth it!
Appreciate 1
aswy6261.00
      12-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #30
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
When I was searching for my e92, there were a few things I would not have settled on and a CF roof was DEFINITELY one of them. It's a major characteristic of the e92 M3 along with its quad tail pipes, power dome, and wider fenders. I came across several examples that checked every box but I still passed due to the sunroof. To me, it was that important.

OP, I know exactly what you are going through because I went through the same thing with my e93. I bought it because I loved driving with the top down but quickly realized it wasn't the car I wanted to keep long term. Lost a bunch of money trading it in for my e92 but 3 years later I still think it was the best move I made.

Your situation is a bit trickier though. On one hand, you have a solid car that you already invested a bunch of money into. There's no guarantee the new car will be as reliable, and you will probably need to maintain it all over again. If I were in your shoes, I think I would definitely try to do a roof swap first before considering selling the car. It will be far less than selling the car and buying a new one, and the car will be perfect afterwards. If you can find a reputable shop to do the swap for a good price, I think that's the best way to go in this situation. Good luck and I hope you get the CF roof! It's totally worth it!
my favorite comment so far! I also got the car for 28k 2 and a half years ago with 60k miles. I think that was a very good deal and the reason why i was able to bring down the price is because i was bitching about the sunroof until they offered me the price i could not reject. I feel like if i get the roof from DTM Fuberwerkz, the price is going to be very reasonable but im little worried about the quality vs OEM
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #31
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have used carbon fiber roofs for sale for anyone wanting to swap them over.

Quote:
You're not going to be able to just put the CF a panel on, you'll need to cut your entire roof off at the pillars and weld a new roof on that accepts/has the CF panel. In the unfortunate event i roll the car I wouldn't want the last 3 seconds of my life to be regretting gluing a roof that doesn't belong there onto my car.
This is false and a common misconception by those who don't know much about the job specifics. It is a relatively easy process to convert to a carbon roof. There's not even any paintwork required. You replace the center support bow, the rest is the same. There is no pillar cutting. Done properly it is absolutely as safe as a car that has a carbon roof from the factory.

If you pay a shop to install a new roof, new sunroof, and all supporting components then yes you'll pay $5k or more. For your situation, my recommendation would be to sell your car if you want to have a car with a carbon roof.
Appreciate 2
aswy6261.00
BayE301341.00
      12-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #32
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post

Quote:
You're not going to be able to just put the CF a panel on, you'll need to cut your entire roof off at the pillars and weld a new roof on that accepts/has the CF panel. In the unfortunate event i roll the car I wouldn't want the last 3 seconds of my life to be regretting gluing a roof that doesn't belong there onto my car.
This is false and a common misconception by those who don't know much about the job specifics. It is a relatively easy process to convert to a carbon roof. There's not even any paintwork required. You replace the center support bow, the rest is the same. There is no pillar cutting. Done properly it is absolutely as safe as a car that has a carbon roof from the factory.

If you pay a shop to install a new roof, new sunroof, and all supporting components then yes you'll pay $5k or more. For your situation, my recommendation would be to sell your car if you want to have a car with a carbon roof.
Well all i dont need a new sunroof etc. Just need a CF shell. What is the range of labor cost for this job? I dont know if i want to sell it because rod bearings are done, TAs are done, every single pulley and tensioner replaced as well as some other stuff along the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #33
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
I don't get the obsession with the CF roof. I purposely avoided the CF roof because of the overblown hype. I'm also the kind of person that uses the sunroof every chance I get.

Even if I loved the CF roof, if I was buying a e92 M3 and it had a carbon roof but the VIN and/or window sticker said "sunroof" I'd run from that car as far as I could. It might as well have a salvage title. I'm not going to buy a sports car that I would drive aggressively and hope that "Joe Shitshow's Auto Body and Muffler" didn't do a crap job putting the new roof on. Not only are you risking it being done nowhere near as good as the factory, you're also undoubtedly going to weaken the entire car as the roof plays a large roll in the car's stability and body strength.

Also- there is an s65 Facebook group where someone posted a link to someone selling the entire CF roof for an e92 M3. The comments were pretty good and the consensus was this would be an extremely difficult job, potentially pose huge safety issues, and significantly devalue the car.

Anywho... back to my original statement... the CF roofs are hyped up and the obsession over them is goofy as shit. I realize that's not a popular opinion around here, but I'm a jerk. :shrug:
haha... are you a lawyer or an actor? a lot of drama here; talking roll over accidents (don't be offended) lol... i got an e90 but I do not think cf roof is over hyped. It's clear to me when you look at these cars you can clearly see that the cf adds another layer of appeal. When I was looking again recently for an e9x and was considering e92s as well I would automatically skip cars with sunroofs. Not because I don't like sunroofs but because other than the engine, I think the cf is the most special part of that car. why? because no other mass produced car that I am aware of at the time had cf roof. Even now, it's not something you see much.

Now whether to change the roof is a diff issue. But countless people have done it (even on e90s, which I sometimes even think of doing lol). But roof on cars in general are changed all the time (just the other day I was in a local body shop and a couple cars were there w some tree accident and needed new roofs). Ultimately the decision is yours OP. But if you've spent that much on the car and you're posting on this issue, I'd pull the trigger on a cf roof and find the best shop you can to do the job and enjoy the new look. 2cents added.
1. I realize the rollover thing was a dramatic example. But... I'd hate to be that one guy. I guess I'm a bit risk averse. To each their own.

2. The carbon fiber does appeal to me, but not as much as a sunroof. The weight difference is a paltry 21 lbs. On a car that may never see the track... meh. Even if it did see the track, meh. I'll use the sunroof almost every day, you'll never know if you're gaining anything from that 21 lbs. Again, to each their own... the sunroof will make my ownership experience better.

3. Links to people/cars/shops (besides the one IND car) that have successfully done this please. I'm genuinely curious.

As I've said on the forum before, people can do whatever they want to their car if it makes them happy. If you wanted to put a dick-print wrap on your roof, then own it and be happy. My opinion is just as worthless as everyone else's.
      12-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #34
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
2. The carbon fiber does appeal to me, but not as much as a sunroof. The weight difference is a paltry 21 lbs.
The weight difference is almost 50 pounds between carbon fiber roof and the steel moonroof version.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #35
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
Quote:
I don't get the obsession with the CF roof. I purposely avoided the CF roof because of the overblown hype. I'm also the kind of person that uses the sunroof every chance I get.

Even if I loved the CF roof, if I was buying a e92 M3 and it had a carbon roof but the VIN and/or window sticker said "sunroof" I'd run from that car as far as I could. It might as well have a salvage title. I'm not going to buy a sports car that I would drive aggressively and hope that "Joe Shitshow's Auto Body and Muffler" didn't do a crap job putting the new roof on. Not only are you risking it being done nowhere near as good as the factory, you're also undoubtedly going to weaken the entire car as the roof plays a large roll in the car's stability and body strength.

Also- there is an s65 Facebook group where someone posted a link to someone selling the entire CF roof for an e92 M3. The comments were pretty good and the consensus was this would be an extremely difficult job, potentially pose huge safety issues, and significantly devalue the car.

Anywho... back to my original statement... the CF roofs are hyped up and the obsession over them is goofy as shit. I realize that's not a popular opinion around here, but I'm a jerk. :shrug:
haha... are you a lawyer or an actor? a lot of drama here; talking roll over accidents (don't be offended) lol... i got an e90 but I do not think cf roof is over hyped. It's clear to me when you look at these cars you can clearly see that the cf adds another layer of appeal. When I was looking again recently for an e9x and was considering e92s as well I would automatically skip cars with sunroofs. Not because I don't like sunroofs but because other than the engine, I think the cf is the most special part of that car. why? because no other mass produced car that I am aware of at the time had cf roof. Even now, it's not something you see much.

Now whether to change the roof is a diff issue. But countless people have done it (even on e90s, which I sometimes even think of doing lol). But roof on cars in general are changed all the time (just the other day I was in a local body shop and a couple cars were there w some tree accident and needed new roofs). Ultimately the decision is yours OP. But if you've spent that much on the car and you're posting on this issue, I'd pull the trigger on a cf roof and find the best shop you can to do the job and enjoy the new look. 2cents added.
1. I realize the rollover thing was a dramatic example. But... I'd hate to be that one guy. I guess I'm a bit risk averse. To each their own.

2. The carbon fiber does appeal to me, but not as much as a sunroof. The weight difference is a paltry 21 lbs. On a car that may never see the track... meh. Even if it did see the track, meh. I'll use the sunroof almost every day, you'll never know if you're gaining anything from that 21 lbs. Again, to each their own... the sunroof will make my ownership experience better.

3. Links to people/cars/shops (besides the one IND car) that have successfully done this please. I'm genuinely curious.

As I've said on the forum before, people can do whatever they want to their car if it makes them happy. If you wanted to put a dick-print wrap on your roof, then own it and be happy. My opinion is just as worthless as everyone else's.
Do not cannibalize your car for a cf roof, sell/buy another if it means that much to you..
      12-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #36
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
2. The carbon fiber does appeal to me, but not as much as a sunroof. The weight difference is a paltry 21 lbs.
The weight difference is almost 50 pounds between carbon fiber roof and the steel moonroof version.
You are correct. I did just look it up (not that I was necessarily doubting you). I'm not seeing the information listed anywhere, but BMW said it was a 44 lb savings in a 01/13/2008 press release. https://www.bmwblog.com/2008/01/14/2008-bmw-m3-pricing/
      12-20-2018, 04:11 AM   #37
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
CF roof looks so damn good though It makes the car extra speecial, thatswhy i am losing my sleep over it
Put that money into saving for f8x m3.
Not worth to invest in cf roof
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #38
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
If you track the car, the CF roof obviously has its benefits with lower center of gravity and weight reduction however cutting and replacing the roof will negate any positive attributes by diminishing the structural integrity. Now if it's purely for the looks, I would get a very high quality CF wrap and have it professional installed. You will achieve the desired look, maintain the use of your sunroof, and i couldn't see it costing more than a few hundred rather than a few thousand. Use that savings for more mods.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #39
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
If you track the car, the CF roof obviously has its benefits with lower center of gravity and weight reduction however cutting and replacing the roof will negate any positive attributes by diminishing the structural integrity. Now if it's purely for the looks, I would get a very high quality CF wrap and have it professional installed. You will achieve the desired look, maintain the use of your sunroof, and i couldn't see it costing more than a few hundred rather than a few thousand. Use that savings for more mods.
Well i am starting to track the car in the spring. This will be my first times at the track. I am almost thinking to keep it the way it is and when i hit 100 to 110k miles sell the car and get a low mileage E92 M3 if there will be any left lol
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #40
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
No. There are factory authorized roof replacement procedures that don’t impact the structure. Also, it’s a skin. The roof cross beams take all of the meaningful load.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #41
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:

All true. We have done many roof replacements as standard part of body repairs in our shop. CF roof is not that hard of a job, but can be costly with the replacement of headliner, CF roof itself, and other small parts needed for the swap. I have considered performing this on my personal e90m3, just havent done my homework on the cost yet (bc then i will just end up spending the money, lol).
      12-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #42
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
I bought a 2011 E92 M3 new in 2011, I chose sunroof. Because I love having some fresh air come in to the car.

I recently bought another 2011 E92 M3, this time with CF roof, I knew this time I wanted CF roof. With that said, I really miss having the sunroof "cracked" to allow fresh air in. Now I am always having the side windows cracked slightly, which brings a lot of noise in to the car making music listening or talking on the phone less than ideal.

That's the most specific example of something that I think about often.

BUT one thing that I do feel is that this generation M3 is mean to have a CF roof. It's nice the new F8x M3s can have them in both sedan or coupe

You live in southern Cali. Where do you find fresh air?
Appreciate 0