BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

06-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #133
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
I think he's asking if you have the standard/stock brakes that came with the car (even if it's upgraded pads+lines+fluid) or if you have a big brake kit
Yes, I am asking whether you have bbk installed.
      06-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #134
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quote:
I think he's asking if you have the standard/stock brakes that came with the car (even if it's upgraded pads+lines+fluid) or if you have a big brake kit
Yes, I am asking whether you have bbk installed.
i do have carbon ceramic bbk
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 11:12 PM   #135
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

^
Appreciate 1
tsk941514.50
      06-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #136
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

[Update]
June 8th track days was put together with a new organization. 15 cars showed up and the weather was perfect at NYST.

We were divided into 3 groups yielding 20min sessions. By the afternoon we were running 2 groups with 30min sessions. Obscene

Tires. My 6 track day old cheap 2014 Yoko rears still had some tread left so I just mounted a new set of 2013 Kumho on the front.

Again I was running a variety of 1:41 - 1:43 trying various lines, gears and approaches. Curiously rather than melting the Kumhos I was shredding them into fine rubber strips that accumulated in the crevices of the wheels. Interesting.

The front passenger tire temps were even and I was running temps up to 180 coming off the track. I let it go up to 41 psi. Granted with all the limitations of one person operation in non professional settings

The driver front had a different results. the inside was running at 180, but the middle and outside were at 130-150 range. So from that perspective, the -3.0 camber taking its toll.

The rears were much lower temps, that might be normal or not. But basically i am not creating friction there. Perhaps results of the higher gears "momentum" experiments.

[Aero]
I moved the GTS wing one notch down to see if it will help with the 100mph left turn on Turn 8. I could use a bit more grip, especially when my tank gets empty. Unfortunately, I did it after refilling gas so I have to wait until next time to see its effect with emptier tank

I am internally debating if I should mount already the ADO8R for the June 30th and see for real what is going on. The car is spot on now and it is time to get into the 1:37s and see.

Right after Friday track day, It was time to drive up to Montreal and see Formula1 qualifying on Sat. and today the Formula1 race. Weather is perfect and I should see how they take their 40mph turns. Perhaps I can learn something.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #137
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Back to 40mph topic
Turn 18 coming on to the straight is important one and my goal is to consistently hit it at 50.

But so far I have been fluctuating at 44-46.
The car can do it for sure. Alas, the driver has an issue.

If I take it on 4th gear and less than 3500 RPM, and just focus on not hitting the brakes too hard, I can do this in the picture (48.7) but I can't accelerate quickly. (first picture)

But If I come on third gear and 5000 rpm I am too apprehensive with the throttle and I brake too much or not accelerating mid corner enough. (second picture)
Try staying in 3rd gear and manage the last bit of speed reduction with the throttle (slight lift before the apex). That will induce the car to rotate (assuming you are at the limit). Since your foot is already on the throttle, add throttle to put weight back on the rear wheels and continue to full throttle as you unwind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 05:17 AM   #138
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
Try staying in 3rd gear and manage the last bit of speed reduction with the throttle (slight lift before the apex). That will induce the car to rotate (assuming you are at the limit). Since your foot is already on the throttle, add throttle to put weight back on the rear wheels and continue to full throttle as you unwind the wheel.
100% agree. Alas, my confident is not there yet and 4th gear feels safer. Keep in mind, this is my second year doing trackdays in systematic way, and just in the last few t.days took the traction control off. So it is a learning curve. My nature is to progress deliberately, systematic, and progressively. That sometimes gets in the way of progress. I'll get there. My goal is by the fall to be on third gear and managing traction with the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #139
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

[Throttle Control]

The thought occurred to me that while practicing using high gears is good for seeing what the car can do and testing my steering input, since my throttle input is not very effective, It does not allow me to practice throttle sensitivity.

What was obvious initially to me turns out to be incomplete issue. When going through a turn in third gear, the obvious concern is too much throttle and the fear of oversteer. What is less obvious is the effect of coming off the throttle and the deceleration effect that it has.

And this is what, too me, is important to control. Meaning, I can set my desirable speed ahead of the turn to say 48mph, i have proven that the car can take turn 18 at that speed. Doing it in fourth gear and inducing unwanted throttle fluctuation will have little effect at 3400 RPM.

However, doing the same in third gear and ~5000 RPM will induce enough acceleration/deceleration which is detrimental to the car stability going through the corner. Perhaps this why at third gear I can only master 44mph

Bottom line, high gear momentum driving allows for practicing steering input, but I came to the realization that I have to practice also third gear for stable foot control.

And this is what I am planning to do on June 30th.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 04:40 AM   #140
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Are you using the "power" button? If so, turn it off.
      06-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #141
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Are you using the "power" button? If so, turn it off.
Brilliant!!
Yes.
will do!
off for the 30th it is
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #142
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Lol no wonder you're having a hard time. All it does is increase throttle sensitivity and get you to 100% faster.
      06-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #143
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

I just recently started driving with R-Comps and Traction control off. I realized that with traction control off the throttle input has to be super smooth with this much power. I programmed my M-Mode to turn the power off.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #144
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

+1 on power button off, it's so much easier to modulate
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #145
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1 on power button off, it's so much easier to modulate
Just did that this afternoon
All set
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #146
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

[Update]
Two more excellent track days at NYST.
still cheap tires.
Change was 200 psi Nitrogen felt very good compares to the front 130 and rear 150. It is hard for me to describe how the N2 charge helped. But it did.

My turn 18 is getting better. for the first time I hit 50.1 mph with multiples 48 and 49. not yet everytime :-(.

As far as cheap tires, i am done for now. Brand new set of Yoko ADO8R ready for the July 13th track day.

All togther I spent 9 track days on the cheap street tires documented previously. I did few 1:40, many 1:41 and averaged 1:43-1:44 on routine basis.

Taking off the "power" option was definitely the way to go. What was I thinking?

I tried front -3.12 front camber and did not like the excessive wear on the inside. i am going back to -2.9

Many sessions with DSC off.

I am still faster with DSC on, but I feel it hinders my learning of traction management.

I am ok with being slower and learning vs faster and "cheating". Besides with DSC on, it is chewing my front expensive brake pads so who wants that?

Car is at Autocouture Motoring (ACM) for mid season refresh including all fluids, Slon DCT pan, Turner 90A motor mounts, Euro MDM, SBL rear sway bar links.

After 10 track days, I can't wait for the next 10.

Fixed DSC
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #147
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

[Update]
Friday July 13th I had a track day at NYST with a professional race driver instructor for the whole day. It was fantastic experience.

He installed his Solo DL new version and matching camera. I had a fresh set of Yoko ADO8R. Without making any changes by the second session I was doing 1:38s and best time of 1:38.2 which is within a second of my best time.

He then rode with me one session to feel the car and observe my input, then he drove the car himself. He sure had to be cautious, prime goal of course was not to put my car in the trees. He used 3rd gear a lot and we got Temp warning. This is the first time i get this message. But this is not important. His time was around 1:42/1:43 but he learned a lot and we were also two people in the car.

By the afternoon session he had enough data to start making changes. First he crank the rebound and the compression way more than I did. Then we agreed on line changes in few corners that he felt will work better.

The videos between his lines and mine allowed us to see exactly where the car was pointing and the data showed how much brake and gas he used and how much I used.

By the time we made all the changes we had three sessions left, 2, 3 and 4.

typicall I do my best time in the morning at the 10 and 11 sessions. probably because the track temp is cool and later heats up and there is less grip. In numbers it means i am doing 1:38/1:39 in the morning, then the afternoon sessions would be 1:41/1:42.

Here is the thing, After we made the changes and stiffen the car, and after we chose few lines that were different, My 3pm and 4pm sessions were 1:38/1:39. And I am not talking best time. I am talking lap after lap after lap.

This could mean a 1:35/1:36 in the morning sessions which is my goal for this year.

Time will tell. Next track day is end of July
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 08:45 AM   #148
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
[Update]
Friday July 13th I had a track day at NYST with a professional race driver instructor for the whole day. . It was fantastic experience.

He installed his Solo DL new version and matching camera. I had a fresh set of Yoko ADO8R. Without making any changes by the second session I was doing 1:38s and best time of 1:38.2 is within a second if my best time.

He then rode with me one session to feel the car and observe my input then he drove the car himself. He sure had to be cautious, prime goal of course was not to put my car ar the trees. He used 3rd gear a lot and we got Temp warning. This is the first time i get this message. But this is not important. His time was around 1:42/1:43 but he learned a lot and we where also two people in the car.

In the afternoon session he had enough data to start making changes. First he crank the rebound and the compression way more than I did. Then we agreed on another line in few corners that he felt will work better.

The videos between his lines and mine allow us to see exactly where the car was pointing and the data showed how much brake and gas he used and how much I used.

By the time we made all the changes we had three sessions left, 2, 3 and 4.

typicall I do my best time in the morning at the 10 and 11 sessions. probably because the track hits up and there is less grip. In numbers it means i am doing 1:38/1:39 in the morning, then the afternoon sessions would be 1:42/1:43.

ow here is the the thing, After we made the changes and stiffen the car, and after we chose few lines that were different, My 3 and 4 sessions were 1:38/1:39. And I am not talking best time. I am talking lap after lap after lap.

This could mean a 1:35/1:36 in the morning sessions which is my goal for this year.

Time will tell. Next track day is end of July
So where did you end up with your settings?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #149
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here are the settings we ended up with:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #150
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Here are the settings we ended up with:
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #151
MSY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

I'm sorry but I think your OCD is completely blinding you and you are not realizing the lunacy of how you are trying to setup your car.
- you are running different tires, different days and sometimes different tires on front and rear of car, sometimes fresh and so mb etimes worn or a mix of both
-you are driving in different weather and temps
-you are adjusting your damper settings with a clear lack of understanding based on your statements
- mmyour driving in 5th gear around a track???

You can't isolate your dsmper settings for any given day even if you held all variables listed as above constant to the degree you are doing. You are learning nothing other then how to chase your tail around in a circle and you will never understand your suspension this way.

At very least stick to one brand of tires and get your driving lines correct. Get a pro to set up your suspension and feel what a proper setup is, write it down, then start adjusting your dampers to feel what changes are doing knowing you c as n yo back to the proper settings from a pro.

Then with time you can learn to make fine adjustments based on weather, different tracks, hot v cold temps etc.

Painful thread
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34448.50
roastbeef11571.50
      07-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #152
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

>> Get a pro to set up your suspension and feel what a proper setup...

Well it is exactly what I did. Alas that pro had a very nice things to say about my OCD.

But then again, he met me, rode as a passenger, and drove my car. If you ask me, I'll take Forum criticism over a Pro instructor feedback any day.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #153
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

[Update]
4 days total on the ADO8R.
The fronts are done. The rear are still good.

With the JRZ settings I listed above I was able to run consistent laps at the high 1:38s and low 1:39s.

There are some interesting observations.
While the car feel a lot better and more consistent, I was not that much faster.

I did clicked the shaft +1 on all 4 corners from the settings above and it made the car a tiny bit crisper. I like it.

I did 1:38s first day of the season with last year ADOR8 with the softer settings on the JRZ and stiffer sway-bar settings.

Another improvement is that I now run the same pace with DSC on or off. In fact, my best time this year was 1:38.20 with DSC off.

I now run turn 18 (last before the straight) @ 48/49 mph with few times hitting 50mph. I do that at 3rd gear now compares to 4th gear beginning of the season.

The back stretch (8/9/10) I now get to 103/105 mph compare to 95-98 early in the season.

This all helps me turning consistent laps per session on 1:38/39 but to this day I can't yet put a lap togehter to actually go down to the 1:37. My goal for 2018 is 1:36.

Plan for the next two track days is to mount a left over PS4S 265/30/19 on the front and to finish off the rear ADO8R 295/30/19.

For September I have 3 track days in a row and I am thinking mounting Troffeo Rs or go slicks and get down to 1:36.

As a reference, I get to the end of the main straight doing 127/129 mph.

I was running with a Porsche GT4 and GT3 and they get to 145mph and run 1:36s. So for me to be at 1:36, I will have run faster at the slower sections. I can't see getting up to 145 giving the distance.

Picture of fronts after 4 track days and -2.9 camber. The last day i was only able to run 1:40-1:42. So these front may not show cords, but they don't have the grip either.

I
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #154
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Best lap so far in 2018 with DSC off and third day on Yoko ADO8R
Attached Images

Appreciate 0