BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #89
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
If we were floating 10,000 feet off the ground, not moving, with no clouds or wind, and I was facing a one of these loud Harleys 5 feet in front of me, would I hear none of the sound coming out of the tailpipe? With nothing for the sound to reflect off of, would it then not make any difference what kind of exhaust the motorcycle had? If I'm understanding this correctly, I would hear some sound from the engine but not the sound directed out the exhaust pipe.

OK, I'm not challenging you on this. I'm just curious.
My response to the question would be yes. In a perfect anechoic environment you would not hear the exhaust from the bike if you were not in the path of the wave (i.e. standing in front of the bike).

I can provide an example to illustrate the point. On those quiet nights at home when you hear one of those loud bikes in the distance you will notice that you only hear the bikes that are moving away from you, never toward you. This is because the bikes are far enough away that the reflected waves never make it to your location, but the direct waves continue to travel until they are attenuated by the atmosphere as a result of distance. If those direct waves magically 'wrapped around' the bike you would hear approaching bike also.

Also, please do not feel that I would think that you are challenging me. I am happy to answer questions, especially to help clear any misinformation. This is why I try to explain my answers. Bearing in mind, sometimes I can be wrong. Thanks
      09-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #90
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave IV View Post
My response to the question would be yes. In a perfect anechoic environment you would not hear the exhaust from the bike if you were not in the path of the wave (i.e. standing in front of the bike).

I can provide an example to illustrate the point. On those quiet nights at home when you hear one of those loud bikes in the distance you will notice that you only hear the bikes that are moving away from you, never toward you. This is because the bikes are far enough away that the reflected waves never make it to your location, but the direct waves continue to travel until they are attenuated by the atmosphere as a result of distance. If those direct waves magically 'wrapped around' the bike you would hear approaching bike also.

Also, please do not feel that I would think that you are challenging me. I am happy to answer questions, especially to help clear any misinformation. This is why I try to explain my answers. Bearing in mind, sometimes I can be wrong. Thanks
Fascinating! Thanks for the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #91
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

A lady walked up to my window today and told me my exhaust was too loud and bothered her. Wanted my information so she could report me... I was like take my plate number ( i have no plates ) as i pull out i see a motor cop and she flags him down to tell him my car is too loud. I was like wtf lmao stupid lady... cop was busy watching the Bentley burn.
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #92
dbhg1124
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xdrive coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHAUS View Post
Well, guys.., to end this discussion nicely for everyone,
(Since, we also feel a bit responsible for this public reaction and behavior),
Who else wants this awesome Meisterschaft "GT2" exhaust system for your M3?
Please call in next 5 mins, we will give out one "GT2" unit for FREE!!
Call us NOW!! NO B.S.

Qualifying Condition for this event:
You must own an E9x M3 (your own, not your dads) with stock OE system.

GTHAUS
I said this numerous times it is my car and not my dads. So GTHAUS i dont know why you would take a shot at me I have dealt with you guys numerous times and this is how I am repayed?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #93
dbhg1124
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xdrive coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Dude, I don't think this was directed at you.
sure felt like it ha
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #94
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
If we were floating 10,000 feet off the ground...
Great question. I submitted this whole thing to Mythbusters. Maybe they'll do an episode out on the Salt Flats or something...
/threadjack

My most awkward moment occurs right after coldstart and I am leaving the hanger and the 2nd gear wants to make the car hop and there's ten young soldiers having a smoke break... I know, drivez not I can...
      09-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #95
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati

Well, now I'm confused. When sitting in LA traffic (thankfully I don't have to do that anymore) with a two cylinder approaching me from behind by splitting lanes, I could always hear them. How is that possible? I must be a super human!

Personally, as a 2 cylinder Ducati rider who has spent a fair amount of time splitting lanes in traffic, I am thankful for my "loud" exhaust. The approaching sound has saved my *ss from the texterchatterjustnotpayingattention driver many times. When I first added my exhaust, I thought that it was too loud (and still feel that way when in residential neighborhoods - hence, you'll see me pushing it into/out of my garage and on to the street in the early morning/late evening). However, after my first day on the 405 with the pipes, my opinion completely changed. People graciously began moving away from me as I came up the lane, which didn't happen before the pipes. Now, I'm not saying that it is my right to have people move over when they are stuck in traffic just so that I can squeeze by while lane splitting. It does, however, make my ride safer and reaffirms my belief in people and their inherent goodness. Personally, I give the thumbs up to everybody that I can that moves over for me. In my opinion, they went above and beyond to keep everybody safe on the road and I truly appreciate that.

In regard to the peace officer that tickets every modified exhaust system that he sees on the road, well, I'm appalled that my tax dollars are being wasted in such a manner (my opinion, not a rally cry/witch hunt). If the person is revving their engine, driving unsafely to show off the sound, or is just a hazard to himself and his fellow drivers, well then, please, write him up. To stop someone who is driving within the speed limit, not revving and who isn't a hazard, well, that I just don't understand. Luckily, in my pleasant interactions with Mr. Law, my exhaust (both cars and bike) have never been an issue.

Sorry OP, I don't have a post worthy M awkward moment.
      09-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #96
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Here's a story of my own.....a few months ago in an indoor supermarket parking lot, I was parking with my friend with his m3. He had hfc's on his m3, no secondary cats, no resonators, and remus race mufflers. We parked and then an old man walking by with his walker (prob ~85 yrs old) shook covered his ears, shook his head, and shook his walker at us. My friend gave a short blip of the gas, which startled the old man, and also let off a few alarms. He walked as fast as he could to the car, and with all the energy he could, cussed us out for a few minutes and flicked us off a few times...to say the least we got a good laugh and got a compliment about the exhaust from someone else a few minutes later.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #97
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
Here's a story of my own.....a few months ago in an indoor supermarket parking lot, I was parking with my friend with his m3. He had hfc's on his m3, no secondary cats, no resonators, and remus race mufflers. We parked and then an old man walking by with his walker (prob ~85 yrs old) shook covered his ears, shook his head, and shook his walker at us. My friend gave a short blip of the gas, which startled the old man, and also let off a few alarms. He walked as fast as he could to the car, and with all the energy he could, cussed us out for a few minutes and flicked us off a few times...to say the least we got a good laugh and got a compliment about the exhaust from someone else a few minutes later.
I'd think it was funny if the old man smacked your friend's M3 with his walker and left a big-ol' scratch. No shortage of douche-bags in this thread; both sides of the fence.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0