BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

10-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #23
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
The difference in precision and feel is still there.
Your comparisons are not relevant here. Your examples using older cars are just that, old---the concept I'm speaking of did not occur in the past, IMO. The M340 is plenty precise and has an excellent chassis calibration. I don't think you've driven one of these. As I noted, there will be a chassis difference between the M340 and M3, but you won't notice it until you're on the track or on the rare twisty mountain road where you can really push cars to the limit. My prediction is that in an attempt to make a noticeable difference in the character of the upcoming M3/4 with the M340, they will make the M cars much harder and stiffer than necessary for the street. It already will have an engine that favors high rpms vs the previous S55 (I drove a M2 comp back to back with a X3M). For my money, the M340 is only a manual away from being a close to perfect street-only performance car.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #24
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Quote:
The difference in precision and feel is still there.
Your comparisons are not relevant here. Your examples using older cars are just that, old---the concept I'm speaking of did not occur in the past, IMO. The M340 is plenty precise and has an excellent chassis calibration. I don't think you've driven one of these. As I noted, there will be a chassis difference between the M340 and M3, but you won't notice it until you're on the track or on the rare twisty mountain road where you can really push cars to the limit. My prediction is that in an attempt to make a noticeable difference in the character of the upcoming M3/4 with the M340, they will make the M cars much harder and stiffer than necessary for the street. It already will have an engine that favors high rpms vs the previous S55 (I drove a M2 comp back to back with a X3M). For my money, the M340 is only a manual away from being a close to perfect street-only performance car.
I only drove the 340 Xdrive and I would characterize the handling as "sloppy" in spirited driving. I doubt the upcoming M3 if it has Xdrive (like the M5) would be anything like this. Precision in steering and handling in both street cruising, at the limit, and everything between is fundamental trait in the M3 and I doubt BMW would mess that up. Looking forward to it when it comes out.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #25
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I only drove the 340 Xdrive and I would characterize the handling as "sloppy" in spirited driving. I doubt the upcoming M3 if it has Xdrive (like the M5) would be anything like this. Precision in steering and handling in both street cruising, at the limit, and everything between is fundamental trait in the M3 and I doubt BMW would mess that up. Looking forward to it when it comes out.
I was meaning to ask you: have you driven the M5c? Although it is AWD, EPS, turbo and uses the ZF-stuff I don't like- I was impressed with the drive
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #26
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I was meaning to ask you: have you driven the M5c? Although it is AWD, EPS, turbo and uses the ZF-stuff I don't like- I was impressed with the drive
Dealer was pushing one on me when I did a lease return recently but I declined a test drive. Just too big. I heard it's an amazing car in many respects. Looks great too.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #27
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
I think the concept has been alive ever since BMW has been around.

The E46 is stone age, agreed, but back then you can be sure someone discussed with a friend whether a ZHP 330 made the E46M irrelevant.

I have not driven the m340 but have driven the m550, X3 m40 and the m240 and am pretty confident that BMW uses a similar formula throughout the years.

The m240 in particular is a very nice car but there is absolutely no way to confuse it for an 'M' car. It is faster than the E46M for example but again, it's impossible to confuse it for one.

I can bet money that I'd be 10 out of 10 determining if I'm driving 'm' cars vs 'M' cars on the street at legal speeds.
If you can't distinguish them then rejoice, BMW has finally built the 'm' cars for people that cannot appreciate the 'M' ones. Which is fine by the way, I've been saying for years that I support the 'm' cars.

Even if you put a manual onto a m340 it's still not an M car. I really enjoy daily driving M cars and drive very similar speeds whether I'm driving a stroker E90 M3 or the Mini Cooper S. The difference is the experience between them.
The m340 has plenty of power for a daily driver but that was never the problem in the first place!

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 10-04-2019 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #28
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I wrote out a whole big thing but nah... nevermind. The M340i is a fantastic car for the street.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #29
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I wrote out a whole big thing but nah... nevermind. The M340i is a fantastic car for the street.
Differences of opinion welcomed tell us why u like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 12:52 AM   #30
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
M240i xDrive had too much understeer for my taste and it also gets bad fuel economy.

I would love it for daily in RWD version though I would just get M2 in that case.