BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #155
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawBoy View Post
I had this very same issue. It started when I first used Liqui Moly (10W60). By the time I've got home, the noise was there. Switched back to Castrol (the OEM stuff) and everything got back to normal. I don't have the answer though. Liqui is superb, really good stuff, but my engine didn't like it.
I am now using Valvoline VR1 20W50 and all is good.
Liqui Moly = => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404625

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
KawBoy151.50
      01-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #156
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

The way I understand, oil viscosity is not going to affect the tight OEM bearing clearances. If much, with tight clearances, you'd have higher oil pressure if a heavier oil is used, but the clearance is there, a fixed, known variable.
As long as the cold and high RPM oil pressures are within the motor lubrication system parameters, one should be safe. Living in Florida with its hot climate, having a thicker oil film during motor start-ups, IMHO, is a better thing. And, as a bonus, it fixed the rattle noise during motor cold starts after a longer period of resting.
Now, as for the 50 versus 60... well, that's a different story.
Again, this is my opinion; please do not take this as a recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 06:39 AM   #157
Assimilator1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
No, no, you're getting mixed up.
Although thicker oil doesn't physically affect the clearance gaps, it very definitely means it won't flow through as quickly! Yes you'll have higher oil pressure when the engine's cold, but that's because it's harder & slower for the oil to go through all the bearings etc.

With tighter clearances, when the engine's cold (any engine), which means when it's fully cooled down, (not just when ambient temperatures are low), the oil (any oil) is thicker & takes longer to be pumped around the engine than when it's hot (warmed up engine).

When you do a stone cold start it takes a second or 2 to build up pressure, which means (on any engine) on starting* you've got metal to metal contact briefly, which is worse on a cold start (engine cooled right off) as the oil takes longer to go around. Add to this the overly tight big end bearings clearances the S65 has (including the later alu/tin bearings to a slightly lesser degree), it means the oil takes a bit longer still to go round, & you're compounding this by using a 20w-x oil instead of a 10w-x oil.
So even if you're coldest morning temp is ~20C, you're engine is definitely worse off with higher 'w' rated oil.

*btw, bearing manufacturers have had to make 'tougher' bearings for cars that have auto stop-start! I wonder if that's made the S65 bearing issue worse in later S65s??.....

Yes, doing a cold start in cold ambient temp's makes this much worse (you likely wouldn't have got away with it to date with freezing temp's!), but seeing as theirs fairly good evidence that the S65s tight big end bearing clearances are the major cause of premature wear or even failure, putting thicker (cold rating 'w') oil in your engine is making this more likely!
Honestly mate, I think you're really risking it putting a thicker 'w' oil in it! I wouldn't want to see you posting a thread further down the road saying 'rod bearings failed!'

As you say the 50/60 oil rating discussion is another story, but their is sound reasoning for going for a 5w-50 oil instead of 10w-60, and this is done primarily to get the thinner 'w' rated oil (not the hot 50 rating) to improve oil flow on (engine) cold starts. The trouble is all oils shear (wear) down (long before their service life in some cases), which means they become thinner at the top rating at least (and I believe the colder end becomes thicker too).
So e.g. you can see in many oil reports that 10w-60 shears down to a 50 grade oil after a few 1000 miles typically, and a 50 oil will shear down to a 40 grade oil, some oils will hold onto their fresh grades longer than others.
The other issue with using -50 oil is that it could potentially be too thin under arduous conditions, & when it's sheared down some. Although I haven't come across a failed engine due to that yet (early days for me reading about this though!).

The ideal oil would be a 5w-60, but that doesn't exist.
Anyway, in any climate, with the S65 engine, you really don't want to be going over a 10w- oil.
Read more about oil gradings here

Last edited by Assimilator1; 03-29-2020 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #158
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

OK.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #159
grantwoodOK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Well after a run of 240 miles yesterday at 80-90 mph and cool down over night, the ticking is still there ☹️
I’ll be taking it up to the BMW tech this afternoon to see what the next steps are...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #160
grantwoodOK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr6 View Post
I had almost exactly the same tick in my car stroker. Turned out to be a stuck lifter. Oil change with additive and some steady mid RPM holding got rid of it..
Were you able to get this procedure from the tech who worked on your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #161
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantwoodOK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr6 View Post
I had almost exactly the same tick in my car stroker. Turned out to be a stuck lifter. Oil change with additive and some steady mid RPM holding got rid of it..
Were you able to get this procedure from the tech who worked on your car?
Shit, my apologies for not responding. He was able to give me partial insight,

He said he used LiquiMoly 20004 hydraulic lifter additive after changing the oil. The reviving procedure he didn't recall 100% what he did, but something along the lines of holding at a steady 3,000 RPM for 2 minutes, then releasing to idle for 5 then repeat, and the ticking eventually went away
      01-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #162
grantwoodOK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

BAD NEWS!

So before I did anything else I wanted to look at the filter after yesterday’s run so pulled the filter out... and it’s bad news. When I replaced the oil 10 days ago the screen was clear when I washed it in gasoline. Just a few bits of gunk/thicker oil. Also the oil pan has metallic drain plugs just in case. So from the to now either the lifter has collapsed or a bearing is going. It will be dropped off at the BMW tech tomorrow for investigation. I have contacted the original engine builder and let him know that there is something happening in the engine and it maybe rod/bearing related...

Appreciate 1
      01-27-2020, 05:41 PM   #163
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
So before I did anything else I wanted to look at the filter after yesterday’s run so pulled the filter out... and it’s bad news. When I replaced the oil 10 days ago the screen was clear when I washed it in gasoline. Just a few bits of gunk/thicker oil. Also the oil pan has metallic drain plugs just in case. So from the to now either the lifter has collapsed or a bearing is going. It will be dropped off at the BMW tech tomorrow for investigation. I have contacted the original engine builder and let him know that there is something happening in the engine and it maybe rod/bearing related...

Oh man. That's not good
      01-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #164
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Shiite, looks awful. Really hope you get the engine builder hooked up and you nail the issue. Keep us posted.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:05 AM   #165
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

I really hope I'm wrong . But from the situation (metal shavings) in your pics it's already too late ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #166
grantwoodOK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Shiite, looks awful. Really hope you get the engine builder hooked up and you nail the issue. Keep us posted.

Good luck!
That my friend is going to be the challenge here. When the car originally went to him in April 2017 he had the car until December of 2017 and I had to hire a PI to find him and the car as he kept stringing me along with completion dates. Not until the PI put pressure on him did the work actually get done. Now 2 years later and 15K miles on it another engine failure. I have also found out from the PI I hired there are 2 pending suits against him for engine failure and a 3rd had just been settled...

Stay tunned!

Last edited by grantwoodOK; 01-28-2020 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #167
grantwoodOK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I really hope I'm wrong . But from the situation (metal shavings) in your pics it's already too late ...
Agreed. With what's in the container there are metal, aluminum and copper colored flakes so it's at least 1 rod bearing!
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #168
s0ldats
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 stripper

this is that jeup dude? the one that everyone praises for being a s65/85 master???
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #169
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. With what's in the container there are metal, aluminum and copper colored flakes so it's at least 1 rod bearing!
No good mate . Just be prepared for the worse . I'm sorry man .
OFC I wish you the best of luck !
Keep us posted ...

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #170
grantwoodOK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
No good mate . Just be prepared for the worse . I'm sorry man .
OFC I wish you the best of luck !
Keep us posted ...
Been through this once before so I know what to expect. We have lawyers...
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #171
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Fuuuuuuk.

So sorry to hear this. I dream of putting a stroker in my M3 some day... But man, this would be heartbreaking.

Best of luck with your pursuit. Please let us know what failed and why if you can.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #172
Assimilator1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Oh dear
Keep us posted, fingers crossed for you....
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #173
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ldats View Post
this is that jeup dude? the one that everyone praises for being a s65/85 master???
Maybe master of disaster...

https://www.google.com/search?q=troy...obile&ie=UTF-8
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 02:50 AM   #174
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
That my friend is going to be the challenge here. When the car originally went to him in April 2017 he had the car until December of 2017 and I had to hire a PI to find him and the car as he kept stringing me along with completion dates. Not until the PI put pressure on him did the work actually get done. Now 2 years later and 15K miles on it another engine failure. I have also found out from the PI I hired there are 2 pending suits against him for engine failure and a 3rd had just been settled...

Stay tunned!
Wow, a PI like in Private Investigator..!? (we don't even have that over here..). I really feel sorry for your man, with that track record of his this looks like a night mare. Fortunately its still "only" a car/money but still... Crossing fingers mate!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #175
grantwoodOK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Wow, a PI like in Private Investigator..!? (we don't even have that over here..). I really feel sorry for your man, with that track record of his this looks like a night mare. Fortunately its still "only" a car/money but still... Crossing fingers mate!
Yes a Private Investigator 😃
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #176
s0ldats
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 stripper

oh man... best of luck. i'm not sure why ppl trust this dude. he seems like a wackjob
Appreciate 0