BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #4929
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzydave17 View Post
This has been a topic of discussion on another track forum I'm on. I'm in the group that says you don't have to spin/(go off) to find the limit of traction. Sounds like you were pushing just hard enough to me. I've always said learning car control on a wet track really translates to the dry. I learned alot about car control on a wet track doing about 1/3 the speed. MSR Cresson in Texas is like driving on wet linoleum when its raining. Great tool for learning with almost no consequences. With that said, most people hate it because it is so slow, but I have a blast.
Yeah it's definitely more fun to hammer down in the dry, but I guess it's akin to studying for an exam or something. It can be arduous at the time, but you come out the other side being glad you went though it. Although we still had some fun of course . If I could keep it to a once per year thing, I'd be okay with that lol.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #4930
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Oh and I have a question about a scenario from yesterday. I think I kinda messed up a bit. So I was running intermediate which has point by passing in the straights only. So I'm going through the last 4 or 5 turns before the front straight and I notice a guy coming up on me who I know is faster than me from previous sessions (driving an M240i with a temp tag still lol). During those turns I also come across a a car in front of me who I know is slower than me (from previous sessions). He taps his mirror during the turns and I do the same for the guy behind me. So we come up on the straight and the guy in front points me by, but doesn't (noticeably) lift because he is down on power a bit (350z), which is fine normally, but this front straight isn't very long and you need to be all the way to the right at the end because the next turn is a hard bank to the left. So I get on the gas and pull up next to the Z and see him give a point by for the M240i. So I immediately give my point by to the M240i and let off enough to match the Z's speed and the M240i passes with all of us 3 wide and he gets back to the right to prep for the turn, as do I, and there was no drama.

So my main question is: was I wrong to slow down and pause my pass to make sure the fastest car of us 3 wasn't being held up and had enough time to pass both of us and not have to take a really shitty line in the rain? On a longer straight, or even possibly the same straight in the dry, I would have finished my pass first and then pointed the M240i by, but I really wasn't sure what to do here so I just went with my gut.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #4931
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Marshalls usually don't like 3 wide.
If you can't complete the pass then don't take it.

Best to let the fastest car pass both of you.
Then you follow him through on his tail.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
M3MPH1S592.00
      12-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #4932
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Sounds like all three of you were aware, should be fine for intermediate. I don't lift on straights any more for cars with more power. Drag it all the way to the brake zone, force the inside line on the next turn, fill up their mirror with my ///M Power banner, then pretend to race them to the next straight and wave good-bye. GTR's should know the drill.
      12-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #4933
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Marshalls usually don't like 3 wide.
If you can't complete the pass then don't take it.

Best to let the fastest car pass both of you.
Then you follow him through on his tail.
We were actually right in front of the head pit marshal, so I guess we were either lucky he wasn't watching or maybe he didn't care haha.

So how would you handle it exactly? Would you wave off the point by from the Z and then point by the M240i and let off the throttle so he has space between you and the Z so he can wait for a point by from the Z? Then wait for a 2nd point by from the Z and take the pass? Not trying to be condescending, I'm genuinely curious about the exact way to handle it step by step.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #4934
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCommie View Post
Sounds like all three of you were aware, should be fine for intermediate. I don't lift on straights any more for cars with more power. Drag it all the way to the brake zone, force the inside line on the next turn, fill up their mirror with my ///M Power banner, then pretend to race them to the next straight and wave good-bye. GTR's should know the drill.
Yeah I definitely don't blame the Z for not lifting. And yeah luckily all 3 of us seemed to be on the same page because there was no hesitation. However, just because it worked this time doesn't mean it was the right way and doesn't mean it will work the next time.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #4935
crzydave17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MPH1S View Post
We were actually right in front of the head pit marshal, so I guess we were either lucky he wasn't watching or maybe he didn't care haha.

So how would you handle it exactly? Would you wave off the point by from the Z and then point by the M240i and let off the throttle so he has space between you and the Z so he can wait for a point by from the Z? Then wait for a 2nd point by from the Z and take the pass? Not trying to be condescending, I'm genuinely curious about the exact way to handle it step by step.
If I were you, I would of taken my pass (350Z) and waited until the next passing zone to give the faster car a point by.

I always lift, even at the instructor level. Although most folks don't lift for me in Advanced and I just go deep into the corner. Do whatever your comfortable with, but most folks lift in intermediate. At least thats what we taught here in TX. That does vary from organization to organization.

Last edited by crzydave17; 12-18-2017 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
M3MPH1S592.00
      12-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #4936
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

It all depends on the circumstances, track , cars, faster drivers, whether your lap has already been compromised....

If it was a fast car behind me, I'd let him go and then suck right in behind him.
If not much faster , I would take my pass & let him follow.
I would complete my pass & then let him by.

I really like the idea of tapping the rearview to let the car behind know that you saw him.
I haven't seen that done here at all.
Appreciate 1
M3MPH1S592.00
      12-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #4937
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
It all depends on the circumstances, track , cars, faster drivers, whether your lap has already been compromised....

If it was a fast car behind me, I'd let him go and then suck right in behind him.
If not much faster , I would take my pass & let him follow.
I would complete my pass & then let him by.

I really like the idea of tapping the rearview to let the car behind know that you saw him.
I haven't seen that done here at all
Yeah I have never heard of it (or seen it) It would surprise me to see some people actually know it is there lol
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #4938
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5036 View Post
Yeah I have never heard of it (or seen it) It would surprise me to see some people actually know it is there lol
LOL, You have those guys too?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #4939
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Lol
      12-18-2017, 11:33 PM   #4940
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Oh and I have a question about a scenario from yesterday. I think I kinda messed up a bit. So I was running intermediate which has point by passing in the straights only. So I'm going through the last 4 or 5 turns before the front straight and I notice a guy coming up on me who I know is faster than me from previous sessions (driving an M240i with a temp tag still lol). During those turns I also come across a a car in front of me who I know is slower than me (from previous sessions). He taps his mirror during the turns and I do the same for the guy behind me. So we come up on the straight and the guy in front points me by, but doesn't (noticeably) lift because he is down on power a bit (350z), which is fine normally, but this front straight isn't very long and you need to be all the way to the right at the end because the next turn is a hard bank to the left. So I get on the gas and pull up next to the Z and see him give a point by for the M240i. So I immediately give my point by to the M240i and let off enough to match the Z's speed and the M240i passes with all of us 3 wide and he gets back to the right to prep for the turn, as do I, and there was no drama.

So my main question is: was I wrong to slow down and pause my pass to make sure the fastest car of us 3 wasn't being held up and had enough time to pass both of us and not have to take a really shitty line in the rain? On a longer straight, or even possibly the same straight in the dry, I would have finished my pass first and then pointed the M240i by, but I really wasn't sure what to do here so I just went with my gut.
sounds like a good pass. it's the passer's responsibility to make sure it is safe to pass.
the three wide thing being frowned upon is going to be specific to the track day coordinator.
      12-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #4941
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Great weekwns
Attached Images

12-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #4942
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I noticed the heat exchangers on the car are showing their age... or maybe the hard miles. Or both. These things have got to be losing some efficiency when air isn't flowing through them as freely. At what point are they actually spent? When they actually fail and leak?
I'll be taking the Front bumper off soon for a little project and I think I may try to clean out the fins in my coolers.
Might not be a great investment for the time it will take, but it might be fun. Anyone ever consider this?
Attached Images

12-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #4943
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I noticed the heat exchangers on the car are showing their age... or maybe the hard miles. Or both. These things have got to be losing some efficiency when air isn't flowing through them as freely. At what point are they actually spent? When they actually fail and leak?
I'll be taking the Front bumper off soon for a little project and I think I may try to clean out the fins in my coolers.
Might not be a great investment for the time it will take, but it might be fun. Anyone ever consider this?
Yeah I've thought the same thing before. Most noticeably the main radiator.

I did end up having to change my oil cooler recently because it got bent by 18 wheeler tire tread. It honestly wasn't that bad, just drain all the oil like a normal oil change, take the bumper off, and then there's only 3 screws and 2 hoses holding the thing in place. Slightly messy job even after draining the oil sumps. The part that took the longest was spending about an hour looking for 2 of the mounting bolts only to finally realize they were studs, not bolts and were still stuck in the old cooler.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #4944
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
good excuse for Do88 ?

FWIW I know some guys that screen the front of their coolers.
(requires regular cleaning)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #4945
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

That looks pretty bad Roast! They make a tool for straightening radiator vents but not sure yours is in the condition to do that. Maybe do88 or grab a used one that's in better condition? That's the oil cooler right?
      12-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #4946
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

one is my DCT cooler, and one is my oil and main radiator behind it.

Last edited by roastbeef; 12-21-2017 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #4947
andrewmega
wwwwwwwww
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
How often do you all change your power steering fluid? Using the recommended Pentosin CHF-11S or something different?

Might just be me but it seems it's not often discussed aside from the reservoir. I don't think I've even seen a suggested replacement interval from BMW.

I always check my fluid after hard driving, maybe every month or so otherwise. I just top off as necessary or replace when it smells bad.

Lately with the cold weather I've been hearing some whining occasionally, but it was especially loud and noisy yesterday so I swapped some out with the turkey baster method. Took it for a few laps around the neighborhood and it seems to be much better now, makes me wonder if I need to be more stringent on replacing the fluid.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #4948
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmega View Post
How often do you all change your power steering fluid? Using the recommended Pentosin CHF-11S or something different?

Might just be me but it seems it's not often discussed aside from the reservoir. I don't think I've even seen a suggested replacement interval from BMW.

I always check my fluid after hard driving, maybe every month or so otherwise. I just top off as necessary or replace when it smells bad.

Lately with the cold weather I've been hearing some whining occasionally, but it was especially loud and noisy yesterday so I swapped some out with the turkey baster method. Took it for a few laps around the neighborhood and it seems to be much better now, makes me wonder if I need to be more stringent on replacing the fluid.
I believe it was the "Mike Miller's Lifetime Maintenance Schedule" that recommended every 30k. I have been following this interval, but it seems like it may be a bit too short, because every time I flush, it's only very slightly brown. And the "good feeling" of the new fluid only last for about a day tbh. After that it feels the same. Either way, it's not like the CHF11S is expensive, so not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #4949
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

After a negative search for an audio book, I broke down and bought an actual book. Gotta do something to try to keep up with the fast guys...
Attached Images

dj_dub1802.50
      12-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #4950
chamba002
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 2009, e90 335i, FZJ80

LOL I have the same book.... has some pretty good useful info.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11584.50