BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

BPM

09-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #23
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
Not sure how you came up with rod bearings are not a wear item, if that were true they would not be replaceable! They do last longer then they did in the 50's and 60's but will not last forever.
Lifetime as in the life of the car. Rod bearings are not a wear item. Sure at a 350k mike engine rebuild they’d be replaced, but they are not a wear item in the life cycle of an engine.

Every item in an engine is replaceable. Your logic is quite flawed.
      09-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #24
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
Lifetime as in the life of the car. Rod bearings are not a wear item. Sure at a 350k mike engine rebuild they’d be replaced, but they are not a wear item in the life cycle of an engine.

Every item in an engine is replaceable. Your logic is quite flawed.
We can agree to disagree! How many drag racers or any kind of racers never change the rod bearings, since they don't wear?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #25
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
We can agree to disagree! How many drag racers or any kind of racers never change the rod bearings, since they don't wear?
Sure you can decide to not agree with me, but I’m right and I speak from experience. How many engine have you built? I’ve built drag engines used for racing before.

However your response proves my argument. Drag engines and race car engines have life cycles of passes or hours not miles like a production car. All of us rebuild or replace all components for each lifecycle of the engine because we do not risk a component failure. Tolerances are much tighter on those engines and one component failing leads to catastrophic failure. However, when we rebuild these types of engines, we do not expect any wear on the rod bearings. If there is, it’s due to oil starvation which is an abnormal condition. On a factory production street car like the M3, this should never be an issue. It is an issue on ours because the tolerance were too tightly designs and we get oil starvation. The new bearings used when the job is done creates more room (higher tolerance). Thus, this issue is fixed and it should never be a problem again.
      10-31-2018, 03:09 PM   #26
Silos
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

post #1 updated.
Appreciate 0