BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #23
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@702 View Post
Feeling more power and seeming to get better gas mileage to boot.
haha i was thinking the same thing this morning... i woke up real early to go fishing, and the temp was 42 in south orange county, and my car pulled hard..
      11-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #24
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Between the temps and a less restrictive exhaust, my car was absolutely phenomenal today.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #25
Amri215
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Okay people, I had a brain fart, lay off. While the boost pressure is constant, the reduced temperature of the charge dictates an increase in density (ideal gas law) meaning more oxygen and power.
Are you referring to a SC M3 or turbo cars in general?

Take for the moment turbos, depending on which car you are referring to, and whether the ECU is torque targeting or boost targeting can mean two scenarios

1) Torque targeting, in cold weather setup, car makes less boost because its able to reach its torque target faster

2) Boost targeting you will make more power for every added amount of boost. This ECU setup is great for cold weather but sucks for hot weather as the car will pull timing to prevent detonantion.

The answers are not as simple as just referencing the ideal gas law, there are many variables involved the most important being the ECU logic
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #26
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
Are you referring to a SC M3 or turbo cars in general?

Take for the moment turbos, depending on which car you are referring to, and whether the ECU is torque targeting or boost targeting can mean two scenarios

1) Torque targeting, in cold weather setup, car makes less boost because its able to reach its torque target faster

2) Boost targeting you will make more power for every added amount of boost. This ECU setup is great for cold weather but sucks for hot weather as the car will pull timing to prevent detonantion.

The answers are not as simple as just referencing the ideal gas law, there are many variables involved the most important being the ECU logic
If it's boost targeting, there isn't any additional boost. That's the definition of boost targeting. But a quick look at the ideal gas law tells you that if pressure is held constant (boost targeting) and the temperature is lower, the density must be higher.

I thought that it was pretty clear that I was referring to the basics of a boost targeting type setup. It would have been pretty simple for you to just add a note about torque targeting instead of trying to "call me out".
      11-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #27
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Something I miss about my 'ol E36 Supercharged M3. Used to drive on PCH, around this time, car felt so fast and so strong.
I haven't tried it in the E90 yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #28
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
If it's boost targeting, there isn't any additional boost. That's the definition of boost targeting. But a quick look at the ideal gas law tells you that if pressure is held constant (boost targeting) and the temperature is lower, the density must be higher.

I thought that it was pretty clear that I was referring to the basics of a boost targeting type setup. It would have been pretty simple for you to just add a note about torque targeting instead of trying to "call me out".

all you guys type like the engineers you prob are and just sound silly. Stop with "ideal gas laws" blah blah blah.. your vocab exceeds your mech know how obvi.

Truth is, many turbo cars can induce an (unrelated) boost creep with the cold weather that will cause a fuel cut from the "better" air.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #29
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
all you guys type like the engineers you prob are and just sound silly. Stop with "ideal gas laws" blah blah blah.. your vocab exceeds your mech know how obvi.

Truth is, many turbo cars can induce an (unrelated) boost creep with the cold weather that will cause a fuel cut from the "better" air.
And you type like a 15 year old girl on FaceBook.

I am an engineer and you know nothing about my "mech know how". Thanks for the unrelated post though.

Boost creep is a function of wastegate design. If you are at the limit of the wastegate's ability to bypass exhaust during warm weather, it won't be able to bypass the additional exhaust during cold weather and the boost will creep. That leads to a dangerous lean condition, not a fuel cut.
      11-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
Amri215
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #31
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
And you type like a 15 year old girl on FaceBook.

I am an engineer and you know nothing about my "mech know how". Thanks for the unrelated post though.

Boost creep is a function of wastegate design. If you are at the limit of the wastegate's ability to bypass exhaust during warm weather, it won't be able to bypass the additional exhaust during cold weather and the boost will creep. That leads to a dangerous lean condition, not a fuel cut.
ok; as said by my () unrelated meaning yes boost creep is related to the wastegate essentially being overrun, however; it is amplified in colder weather and yes, this will induce a fuel cut as the car is seeing too much air to correlate with a lean condition being present.

15 y/o girl. OK man, good for you; you engineers are the best!
Appreciate 0