BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

06-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #45
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Both cars have great exhaust sounds yet they are different. The C63 sounds like a 60s muscle car. It's loud, it crackles, and it barks. The M3 sounds more like an F1 car. It's quite around town but has a great sound once your above 4K rpm. It's less guttural roar and more raspy. Both are fantastic. However, stock for stock I found the M3 to be a little too quite. The C63 just sounds beastly.
i think the M3 sounds down right nasty with catless setup. But for most people who are changing the mufflers on the M3 or keeping it stock i can see where complaining would come from.

The best sound of the M3 comes from its induction noise. exhaust can be underwhelming
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #46
Hurricane
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 C63 507

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i think the M3 sounds down right nasty with catless setup. But for most people who are changing the mufflers on the M3 or keeping it stock i can see where complaining would come from.

The best sound of the M3 comes from its induction noise. exhaust can be underwhelming
The E92 M3 has one of the best induction sounds ever. Epic sound in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #47
bigscore
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW G30 540i M Sport

I loveeeeee that C63 coupe!!
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #48
BRBM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 C63 AMG

Quote:
I have a serious addiction to cars. I've been fortunate to own a B7 RS4 (2007), a E92 M3 (2012), a B8 RS5 (2013), and a W204 C63 507 (2015). I seriously debated the F82 when I sold the E92 but opted for the RS5. Sounds crazy right? However, I decided to make it a goal to own all of the E92 competitors (I know a few may be missing, but these are the only cars I was in the market for). Since that decision I have sold the RS5 and purchased a C63 507. I couldn't resist running the gauntlet of competitors.

I know everyone has read all the reviews of each but I have added my two cents for anyone interested. The following is completely subjective and meant for all car enthusiasts.

Handling
1) M3 - That chassis is sublime and is perfect
2) C63 - This car handles almost as well as the M3 when optioned with the LSD
3) RS5 - The AWD with the crown diff makes this car ridiculously easy to drive like an animal. Why is it third then? Because anyone can do it. It's too easy and does not provide the driver involvement I needed. For those who are interested, this car does not understeer often. It is actually difficult to do.
4) RS4 - The understeer on this car was present too often. I was actually afraid to drive it hard because the understeer often felt terminal.

Sound
1) C63 - No surprise here. This car sounds PHENOMENAL. Loud bark and pops on the way up and down the rev range
2) RS4 - Deep guttural growl
3) RS5 - Its like a softened RS4. It sounds good with the optional sports exhaust but it is not nearly loud enough.
4) M3 - Great sound but suffered from the same issue the RS5 did. Too quiet. Both the M3 and RS5 need exhaust upgrades while the C63 and RS4 are ready to go out of the box

Command, MMI, I Drive (and HK, B&O, EPS)
1) M3/IDrive - OUTSTANDING system. Easy to use and intuitive. Excellent phone integration The EPS 825 watt system was fantastic for my needs. Exceptionally loud. I miss driving on the highway with the windows down and only being able to hear the radio.
2) C63/Command - Simple to use and intuitive. Great phone integration. HK is nice but is only 450 watts and can't be played nearly as loud. But then again I actually listen to the engine more.
3) RS4 - No this is not supposed to be RS5. The RS4 had a radio and CD player. I did not option the BOSE (because I loathe it). It was a 2007 which was before the smart phone boom. It was fine for the time.
4) RS5 - MMI is not good. You can not import old CDs into the hard drive unless you load them on to your computer and then download them onto a scan disk which can then be downloaded into the car. Why scan disk? BECAUSE THERE IS NO USB PORT. The four quadrant system is interesting but it does not offer simple complexity like command or idrive via the selection wheel. In order to change a menu it often requires two button touches and then a wheel scroll. Cumbersome while driving. Smart phone integration outside of Bluetooth is connected via a cord in the glove box unlike the center armrest in the M3 and C63. Lastly, the B&O was subpar and ranks last. There is no bass to that system no matter the setting. It only sounds good when playing old school rock. Attempt any Hip/Hop and the bass is lost. In its' defense it does have the best NAV but I rarely needed to use it.

Looks - Based upon what i have noticed and what I have been asked by friends and strangers.
1) C63 - Maybe its the sound that draws the attention or the ostentatious presentation but it grabs attention more than all the other cars combined
2) RS5 - It is a great looking car which I received plenty of compliments about
3) RS4 - The car has a timeless look and has aged gracefully in my mind.
4) M3 - Great looking car but it is in a league with some lookers.

Fun to Drive
TIE, C63 and M3 - Both of these cars are drivers cars. They offer enormous satisfaction albeit in different packages. Sledgehammer and scalpel. They are the cars you make excuses to go the the store.
2)
3)
4) RS4 and RS5 - Great cars but they were not fun to drive.

I still regret selling the M3 to this day and see myself buying one in the future. For now the C63 is to die for. I love everything about it. It puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it. As for the Audis? Great cars just not for me. I do not see myself buying one again.

Enjoy the pics
I know, I'm late to the party, but have to tell you.............very nice write-up. Not to mention, we might both be descendants of Seriously Addicted Car Nuts family. Always very close to needing an intervention.

So of course, absolutely love all the cars you had or have in your stable. Crazy street cred in my book, so let me show some respect: And 'not fun' as I've heard it is, that RS5?? Love it!!

Anyway, glad you're diggin' that 507. Me, I'm stuck with a plain ole, ordinary, not so powerful '09 sedan. No LSD, no multi-clutch tranny, no refreshed interior, no revised suspension/nicer ride, but I'm cool with it. Hell, got the same psychotic exhaust sound, so I can't complain. (Ay caramba!! )

Back to that RS, come to think of it, half of me says trade the AMG for it. (That was joke. They belong next to each other; 63 for dry days.....RS for wet days and/or the wife.)

Speaking of your M3 regret, you'll get another. I had two to choose from along with an IS-F way back when, and while I can't say I regret choosing the C63 (since it is still somewhat rare to see one compared to M3s), still have plans for an M3.

If not for it, is the C63 as good as it is? Probably not, as we all know that pre-2007 the suped-up C-Classes really didn't offer any serious competition.

Overpowered brutes / long distance cruise missiles, but lacking any real track finesse............until the CLK 63 Black's innards were passed down to the then next-gen C63. Which we have.

Enjoy and be safe.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #49
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I appreciated the e92 m3 after driving a Ferrari f30 a few times. In the cabin, the e92 with catless setup sounds way better than the f430. The induction noise coupled with high pitch catless tone (muffler dependant but I have stock rear).

I then saw f430 crap exhaust manifolds vs the amazing e92 headers, and I really appreciated the engineering and motor in the e92.

F430 also doesn't put a linear power curve down as well as the e92 and a catless tuned 4 litre m3 makes as much power as 4.3 l ferrari flat crank.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #50
Hurricane
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBM View Post
I know, I'm late to the party, but have to tell you.............very nice write-up. Not to mention, we might both be descendants of Seriously Addicted Car Nuts family. Always very close to needing an intervention.

So of course, absolutely love all the cars you had or have in your stable. Crazy street cred in my book, so let me show some respect: And 'not fun' as I've heard it is, that RS5?? Love it!!

Anyway, glad you're diggin' that 507. Me, I'm stuck with a plain ole, ordinary, not so powerful '09 sedan. No LSD, no multi-clutch tranny, no refreshed interior, no revised suspension/nicer ride, but I'm cool with it. Hell, got the same psychotic exhaust sound, so I can't complain. (Ay caramba!! )

Back to that RS, come to think of it, half of me says trade the AMG for it. (That was joke. They belong next to each other; 63 for dry days.....RS for wet days and/or the wife.)

Speaking of your M3 regret, you'll get another. I had two to choose from along with an IS-F way back when, and while I can't say I regret choosing the C63 (since it is still somewhat rare to see one compared to M3s), still have plans for an M3.

If not for it, is the C63 as good as it is? Probably not, as we all know that pre-2007 the suped-up C-Classes really didn't offer any serious competition.

Overpowered brutes / long distance cruise missiles, but lacking any real track finesse............until the CLK 63 Black's innards were passed down to the then next-gen C63. Which we have.

Enjoy and be safe.

Thanks for the kind words! Still miss the E92. Still do not miss the RS5. However, I am in love with this C63 507. The power and sound of this car is fantastic.

As for the next car I am struggling. I really do not know what I want. I will most likely skip Audi. I am still debating on an M4 when the competition pack comes out. The W205 AMGs are growing on me but I prefer the look of the W204. I haven't found a new model car that I am falling for. Only time will tell. Maybe they can cancel the intervention.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #51
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Having owned both the C63 and now for E92 I agree with most of the things you've said expect for the looks part. I get way more 'looks' in the E92 than I did in my C63, although the c63 got its fair share. I had it modified with lots of CF goodies so that was probably why too. But I did have the sedan not the coupe and I prefer the latter even though most people prefer the looks of the sedan over the coupe from my experience.

Anyway they are both great cars and are enjoyable in their own ways.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 06:22 AM   #52
jitenmazee
Banned
Rep
Drives: Chevy Beat

The next Audi RS4 is rumored to switch to a twin-turbo V6
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 07:15 AM   #53
BRBM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 C63 AMG

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words! Still miss the E92. Still do not miss the RS5. However, I am in love with this C63 507. The power and sound of this car is fantastic.

As for the next car I am struggling. I really do not know what I want. I will most likely skip Audi. I am still debating on an M4 when the competition pack comes out. The W205 AMGs are growing on me but I prefer the look of the W204. I haven't found a new model car that I am falling for. Only time will tell. Maybe they can cancel the intervention.
Anytime.....can't blame you with the 507. I often wonder, especially after I sat in a nice, white one @ the dealership not long ago. Already a refreshed model, but with more power & better tuned chassis, new hood, and as you experience, the best handling C63 short an AMG Black? Tempting.

As is the new W205; classic mini-S Class looking sedan, with the coupe looking like your traditional Benz coupe with barely a hint of a B-Pillar. The C63 Coupe is totally coming after the competition, and seems to look like an odd combination of E and S Coupes with a hint of AMG GT.

But I must concur. New W205 design is not bad; kinda like it and don't truly hate it. But' it's not like the original W204 C63s, which had too much rude, crude DTM car in the design. Not mention, not even a console shifter for the AMG model (as with Es and CLSs?). That's dumber than a right-up/left-down manual console shifter we have. (Don't get me started.)

Lastly, as I too struggle to sort of do the same as you to a lesser degree - have one of the competitors parked next to it - rest assured what we call "struggle" is not really what it sounds like.

A "good" problem to have, if you will.

Translation: The manufacturers are competing so hard that the products are all so good that we get indecisive as to which one to. Cases in point: Cadillac ATS-V......Alfa Romeo Giulia Guadrifoglio.....and hopefully a suped up Jaguar XE.

So, happy hunting. Can't really go wrong.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #54
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
I know the feeling. I have had some cars over the years I still miss to this day.
The car I really miss is my Cayenne GTS. I sold it with 51000 miles and got my Audi S6. The S6 is WAY faster, has a nicer interior, and better tech, but the GTS handled better and was just more capable as an SUV. The exhaust sound was simply to-die-for and the steering was far more communicative.

The reality is that once you have owned a Porsche, there is just no going back.
      09-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #55
Vanmarsenille
In On The Kill Taker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB GLS550; 2016 RR HSE

Had a guy in a new RS5 pull up beside me at a stop light today, then floor it, WOT, when light went green. I accepted the challenge. We were neck and neck up to 80mph, then I backed off. I have a 2013 e93.

Jesus Saves.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #56
Hurricane
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
The car I really miss is my Cayenne GTS. I sold it with 51000 miles and got my Audi S6. The S6 is WAY faster, has a nicer interior, and better tech, but the GTS handled better and was just more capable as an SUV. The exhaust sound was simply to-die-for and the steering was far more communicative.

The reality is that once you have owned a Porsche, there is just no going back.
I have been debating about getting a Porsche for the last year or two. Are you enjoying the Cayman GTS as much or more than your former stable of vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #57
Hurricane
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmarsenille View Post
Had a guy in a new RS5 pull up beside me at a stop light today, then floor it, WOT, when light went green. I accepted the challenge. We were neck and neck up to 80mph, then I backed off. I have a 2013 e93.
DCT or manual?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #58
B8bydesign
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Great read, thanks for taking the time to type that out. I'm actually looking to sell my e92 in favor of a low mileage RS4, so it was refreshing to read your comparison's between the 4. I test drove a C63 sedan prior to the e92 but ultimately ended up in the M. Loved the rawness of the C63, but overall, the M just felt better to me. I come from a heavy Audi background (B6 S4, B7 A4, B8 S5, B8 S4, B8.5 S5), which was the reason for the original switch, but I think it's also why I'm being pulled back towards the RS4, but it sounds like I may have to reconsider the AMG again. As for the RS5, I love the looks, but really wish Audi would have opted to put the 4.0TT in it.
Sold: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Performance | ACM | BPM | iND | Thule | LUX | Macht Schnell | Broadway Static | Rogue Engineering | BBS | Challenge | Metak
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #59
Vanmarsenille
In On The Kill Taker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB GLS550; 2016 RR HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmarsenille View Post
DCT or manual?
DCT

Jesus Saves.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #60
Hurricane
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B8bydesign View Post
Great read, thanks for taking the time to type that out. I'm actually looking to sell my e92 in favor of a low mileage RS4, so it was refreshing to read your comparison's between the 4. I test drove a C63 sedan prior to the e92 but ultimately ended up in the M. Loved the rawness of the C63, but overall, the M just felt better to me. I come from a heavy Audi background (B6 S4, B7 A4, B8 S5, B8 S4, B8.5 S5), which was the reason for the original switch, but I think it's also why I'm being pulled back towards the RS4, but it sounds like I may have to reconsider the AMG again. As for the RS5, I love the looks, but really wish Audi would have opted to put the 4.0TT in it.
Thanks! I highly recommend you drive all of these vehicles if you are thinking of switching. If you drive the C63 make sure it is a 2012+ with an LSD. The car had significant updates after 2012. I think the AMG might surprise you. If I were you I may hold out until AUDI publishes information about the B9 RS4/5.

Lastly, although I loved my RS4 I wouldn't give up an E92 for it. Good luck either way you go!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #61
scu180s
Registered
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG Black Series

I would like to share my personal experience with you guys from being an ex E92 M3 MY 2013 owner to 2011 M3 GTS , 2011 458 Italia,2011 MY LP700-4 Aventador, C63 W204 AMG MY 2008 , C63 MY2011 facelifted P31/P30/LSD and lastly sold all my previous love for the C63 MY2012 AMG Black Series.

Being on my M3 E92, it was an extremely precise car especially for handling,through sharp turns and also extremely fuel efficient as compared to the rest.
What it lacks,as said is lack of power for you to make you go faster through a bend.
That,i assume should be what BMW called BALANCE.
It definitely beats any C63's through a bend in terms of handling and balancing but it will never be anywhere near a AMG when it's going through the straights.
Not until i gave my M3 a ESS supercharger tune pushing 540bhp with BBS Ri-D rims which rendered the car against the //M principles - balance.
That being said,i sold my M3 and got myself a M3 GTS for a short brief period of time.

The game changed slightly when the M3 GTS came,giving it 4.4L with nicer exhaust sounds,roll cage,larger brakes and of course the unforgiving horrible bucket seats especially where you have to travel 55 miles a day.
+ Point for the car is that it gives what the usual M does not,more power through the bend and nicer spinoffs from the start of a traffic light.It definitely is faster than the said 4.4sec for 0-62mph.

My missus was complaining about the car being too 'spartant' and the total lack of creature comfort .
I had a MY2008 C63 back than with the M3 GTS.
There was no comparison in between the M3 GTS to C63 AMG with P30 package as both were just as uncomfortable with the stiff suspension but i would say that the M3 GTS definitely outdo the C63 in every aspect, even in terms of straight line performance and in the noise department.

Things starts to get different when i swapped it for a MY 2011 facelifted C63 AMG Sedan with P31 package.

The car was more comfortable, at a fraction of the price of the M3 GTS.
Exhaust system is nothing a aftermarket tuning company can't achieve for the C63 to beat the M3 GTS but all in all i would like to compare it being STOCK TO STOCK.

The additional 31bhp to the AMG still does not actually bring it to the same level as the M3 GTS especially in terms of handling on track.
Straightline performance wise it was almost similar until it hits 130mph where the AMG engine starts to outshine the M3 GTS.

That being said,i had no choice but to dispose of my M3 GTS after numerous complain from my missus of the discomfort(that was the reason my MY2008 C63 was disposed off too), giving my argument of it being a track car invalid where she says thats what my Ferrari was for (they were priced pretty similarly in my country).

1.5 years have passed and now i am a proud owner of a C63 AMG Black Series with 4 seats and adjustable suspension and usable interior.

Not a day went by that i actually really missed the M3 GTS.
It's more like a car that was built for the track being driven on the road whereas for the Black Series it's the otherwise.

Given the price point of the M3 GTS,the performance were not really spectacular in terms of comparing it to the price point of a Ferrari 458 and the natural discomfort of the LP700-4.

You might say i'm biased but to date,i have disposed off all the cars except for the C63 amg sedan and the blackseries with a BMW 520i just to bring the family out.

BMW M3 is definitely not a car for you if you are a speed junkie hoping to tame the ride through a S course or even on the track, you'll be screaming "More powerrrrrrrrrrr" everytime you approach the end of a turn where you use your 'racing line' to floor it towards the next bend.
M3 GTS is definitely the perfect track focus car for that being said but at the pricepoint, why not just get a ferrari 458 GT3 car for the track instead?

As for the AMG Black Series, it's definitely more attention seeking, the presence of the car has the 'LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEE' with the exhaust blips whenever you downshift or pass by anyone on the street.

I would say for me, a novice track junkie, the M3 GTS isn't a car for me.
It's too good yet too uncomfortable ,that's where the Black Series shines.

Conclusion: If i were to get a M3,i'll definitely get a M3 GTS,but since i have the option,i would use the money to get a Ferrari that is more worth the bucks since it has more flair and racing history than the GTS and you'll take the track with comfort.

Given my age of being 40+,I'm happily driving my C63 Black Series now.

Well,to each its own.
Appreciate 0