BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

What did you really want to do in life?

I have been thinking WAY too much lately.

Since I was young I wanted to be a bad ass guitarist in a bad ass rock band. With little to no support at home the dream slowly died as well as my guitar playing. Now that my ride in life is about half way over I am thinking more and more about "why did I give up"?
I am thankful for what I have but how did I end up in the construction business? I never built crap when I was young or cared about how things were built.

Someone tell about following your dream and fulfilling it. I would love to read it.

Or tell about your "plan" never coming to fruition.

Could this be the mid life crisis people talk about?

ps. I think the whole "Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll" would have killed me within a few years of super stardom.
      07-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
well, just give me the sex and drugs. im still young, my life is only now begining, but i fear that what happened to you could become a reality for me. i promised myself never to take over my fathers business, but now, it seems inevitable. now ill have to be "Mr. Remax" for the rest of my life. not exactly living my dream of being a freelance investor and part time race car driver.
      07-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi

Growing up as a Kid I wanted to be in the miltary. Especially I wanted to get in to the Intelligence services of the miltary. It never happened because I was born in the minority of my birth country and there is a war going on between the majority and the minority and I was never able to get in to the miltary.

Then my second dream was to be a Pilot. - For the same reason as above never came closer to touching a plane.

Third One - Wanted to be a DJ. Did that for my friends party and house parties. But never able to get in to mainstream for family reasons.

So after I migrated to Canada I decided to pursue my dream of law enforcement (I love my Adopted country. Happy to be a Canadian) I did a lot of things which would have put me in the law enforcement but then again family responsiblities stopped me from doing it. I was ready to take the pay cut and every thing but when I sat down and looked at my parents and my brothers ( I support my family) I just couldn't do it.

Just like OP the last thing I wanted to do was computers. Now I am in IT. Doing this for the last 14+ Yrs. I love my job. I am thankful for every thing I have.
May be one day my kids can follow their dreams
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mach1 View Post
Growing up as a Kid I wanted to be in the miltary. Especially I wanted to get in to the Intelligence services of the miltary. It never happened because I was born in the minority of my birth country and there is a war going on between the majority and the minority and I was never able to get in to the miltary.

Then my second dream was to be a Pilot. - For the same reason as above never came closer to touching a plane.

Third One - Wanted to be a DJ. Did that for my friends party and house parties. But never able to get in to mainstream for family reasons.

So after I migrated to Canada I decided to pursue my dream of law enforcement (I love my Adopted country. Happy to be a Canadian) I did a lot of things which would have put me in the law enforcement but then again family responsiblities stopped me from doing it. I was ready to take the pay cut and every thing but when I sat down and looked at my parents and my brothers ( I support my family) I just couldn't do it.

Just like OP the last thing I wanted to do was computers. Now I am in IT. Doing this for the last 14+ Yrs. I love my job. I am thankful for every thing I have.
May be one day my kids can follow their dreams

That is so important. I picked up Rock and Roll from my dad. He always had it on. But, he was a hard working accountant that believed the "normal" path was the right path. I love him to death but wish he would have been more supportive. He let me play as long and loud as I wanted but when I would cut the amp off I think he was probably saying "Thank God".
      07-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
uabimmer
Україна
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: JB e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2003 330i  [0.00]
Basketball player
football player
civil engineer

in that order

but now that I am moving on to grad school "doctor" seems to be the word around my house ...

I'm still young but being a professional athlete is now out of the question

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Sorry I could not post of any shortcomings...

Well if I could be anything I would be a race car driver - that would be the ultimate dream for me.

However, looking more realistically that would never come to fruition for me.

I am headed to university in August as a freshman. So I pretty much have my whole life ahead of me. I'm so excited that I can finally start building up and make something of myself. My plan is to be pulling all A's for sure, and then to get into May's business school at the university of A&M. After I graduate with my Bachelor's I want to go to law school. I want to be a commercial realestate lawyer and eventually run a business of my own some day.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I have a B.S. from A&M in marketing. Advertising world here I come.....
General Contractor...WTF happened.
      07-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
I want to produce music, take my djing to the next level (whatever that next level is)... and I've been seriously thinking of opening a bike shop. Anything, but this office job, really. As much as I love my own hours, steady paycheck and all that, i don't feel like im moving forward.

There are no limits, only plateaus.
      07-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

i wanted to be a pro basketball player but the problem was that i am white so that dream died a painfull death before i even got out of high school..

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
well, just give me the sex and drugs. im still young, my life is only now begining, but i fear that what happened to you could become a reality for me. i promised myself never to take over my fathers business, but now, it seems inevitable. now ill have to be "Mr. Remax" for the rest of my life. not exactly living my dream of being a freelance investor and part time race car driver.
this might be the most depressing thing i have read in quite some time.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
SDTopless
I just wanna do my car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 350z RevUp =)

Pursue the entertainment industry and become famous through comedy, improv, and acting. I love performing, public speaking, and overall entertaining. The biggest dilemma is either pursuing my "dream," or make a decent living for myself. Even if I don't make it "big," as long as I can make a living out of it, then it would be the best of both worlds. I'm doing what I love and I'm getting paid for it.

I'm a college grad, 23, and I feel like if I don't get started now it will be much less likely to happen in the future. I'm already heading into real estate, loans, and insurance, which are careers that will require a lot of investment of myself, ie time. What should I do? I don't know because right now I'm at a confused point in my life where I don't know what's going on, what I want to do, or where my future is heading. Of course I can try and do both, or have a mix of work & pursuing my "dream," but where have you heard of those success stories where people have balanced out both & made it big? People usually pursue their passion, or they have some sort of career path, which they outline for themselves and succeed.

What I'm trying to say is that when people have a goal they truly go for it, and if I don't do that, then it's not going to happen. Feedback ?
      07-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #12
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
F1 driver or lead singer of a rock band. And pro golfer.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Just wanted to visit the world and even space if I long that long. When I retire and getting close to my death bed age, you won't find me resting. I am going to do all the death defying acts possible, and all the illegal drugs I can have. Why slow death in rest, die in happy intoxication.
      07-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

I had a dream to work for the NASD or SEC......that didn't happen, I work in finance but a completely different field. I don't think things pan out the way you dreamed as a kid too often, but it does for some, stay at your dreams! You might want to give up the rock star dream though and just get guitar hero or something
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTopless View Post
Pursue the entertainment industry and become famous through comedy, improv, and acting. I love performing, public speaking, and overall entertaining. The biggest dilemma is either pursuing my "dream," or make a decent living for myself. Even if I don't make it "big," as long as I can make a living out of it, then it would be the best of both worlds. I'm doing what I love and I'm getting paid for it.

I'm a college grad, 23, and I feel like if I don't get started now it will be much less likely to happen in the future. I'm already heading into real estate, loans, and insurance, which are careers that will require a lot of investment of myself, ie time. What should I do? I don't know because right now I'm at a confused point in my life where I don't know what's going on, what I want to do, or where my future is heading. Of course I can try and do both, or have a mix of work & pursuing my "dream," but where have you heard of those success stories where people have balanced out both & made it big? People usually pursue their passion, or they have some sort of career path, which they outline for themselves and succeed.

What I'm trying to say is that when people have a goal they truly go for it, and if I don't do that, then it's not going to happen. Feedback ?
Dude I'm in the EXACT same boat as you (well kinda). I have two goals, either become an astronaut or a stand up comic (I know polar opposites). I finished my Masters in Aerospace Engineering and started working but HATE it. So, I've been working on my material in my spare time. I'm almost done and have been visiting comedy clubs/various shows and, believe it or not, watching a lot of stand up on youtube. I've been doing bits here and there in front of closed audiences/close friends and am pretty confident I'll do well; I just have no idea what to do/how to handle a heckler. I have yet to see one live and that's what I'm waiting for.

I remember watching a lot of documentaries/life stories of comics and they all said that before they started making it big, they didn't have anything when they completely pursued their passion. Money was always tight, worked crazy dead end jobs and were crazy depressed. As an entry level engineer, I have the ability to be done with my job when I leave (for the most part). The pay is good and steady and I'm free to do what i want in my time off. I would advise you to do something similar. As for no one doing both and being successful, Bill Nye was a stand up comic in Seattle during the nights and a Boeing Engineer during the day until someone picked him up. Yeah he's not Eddie Murphy but once you get your foot in the door you have an easier time to move where you want.

On another note, I just finished my application for the Astronaut Core and sent it off to NASA. I just meet the min requirements and would be pleasantly surprised if i got it but I know what the chosen Astronauts resume's look like and am not stupid. i know I got a long way to go to reach that level. Just don't lose focus on what you want and don't make a soild decision until you're forced to. Or that's at least what I believe. Hope this helps.
      07-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom330 View Post
I had a dream to work for the NASD or SEC......that didn't happen, I work in finance but a completely different field. I don't think things pan out the way you dreamed as a kid too often, but it does for some, stay at your dreams! You might want to give up the rock star dream though and just get guitar hero or something
Na. I still play one of these. Gibson L-6 Deluxe. Once owned by Eric Johnson....but I doubt many on here know who he is.
Attached Images

Last edited by gonzo; 07-16-2008 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #17
trackstar1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 M

-Cop
-NBA Star
-Rock Star
-King Pin

All my childhood career dreams in order.

After I graduated from college with a business related degree, life is not what I dreamt.

Now I'm unemployed and i'll probably have to repay my debts until im 50. Thats the typical American life IMO. Carry a huge debt with you to the grave!

Last edited by trackstar1; 07-16-2008 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

As a kid I was very intrigued in astronomy and space. I wanted to be an astronaut for the longest time but never really followed through for some reason. I really want to be in outer space at least once in my life. I've also wanted to be a comedian of some sort. I mean I'm a pretty funny guy, just ask my parole officer.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #19
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

For me, first one was being a pilot cause that looked really really really cool. Then around high school, it was being a WRC driver. Still a child, I'm on the road to going into the med field.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #20
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Na. I still play one of these. Gibson L-6 Deluxe. Once owned by Eric Johnson....but I doubt many on here know who he is.
cliffs of dover (i know that because of guitar hero dont kill me)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #21
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I have been thinking WAY too much lately.

Since I was young I wanted to be a bad ass guitarist in a bad ass rock band. With little to no support at home the dream slowly died as well as my guitar playing. Now that my ride in life is about half way over I am thinking more and more about "why did I give up"?
I am thankful for what I have but how did I end up in the construction business? I never built crap when I was young or cared about how things were built.

Someone tell about following your dream and fulfilling it. I would love to read it.

Or tell about your "plan" never coming to fruition.

Could this be the mid life crisis people talk about?

ps. I think the whole "Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll" would have killed me within a few years of super stardom.
fuck.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #22
milomindrbindr
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP: 2008 328i

Kid - military, preferably a fighter pilot. - Then realized I'm not good with taking orders.

Early to mid Teen Years - Archaeologist/Wildlife filmmaker - Then realized that I'm too pale, hate traveling and don't do well with bugs and various wildlife.

Late Teen to College - Historian/Novelist - Then realized that historians are like the gravediggers of the academic world, but I still love the subject. Then proceeded to wrote a novel.

Post College - Novelist/Screenwriter - wrote my second novel but never had a chance to bring to publishers before I adapted them into screenplays. One script got optioned by a big production company. Decided novelists don't usually make as much as screenwriters and poured all energies into that and wrote a draft of the Watchmen script.

Now - Creative Executive for a holding/production company. - Realized that writers are kind of the dogs of the business, and still don't like taking orders from people, so I decided to be the person who gives the orders but also wanted to learn more about the business side while still keeping a foot in the creative. Oh, and I also volunteer for the Los Angeles Conservancy.
Appreciate 0