BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #23
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
No, they will still be 997's. The 998's will likely be out in 2009 as a MY2010. Hopefully, the 998S will have well over 400 HP.

The facelift is suppose to include the 997, 997S and turbo. I would imagine that the GT3 would obviously be included.

Southlight,
Sorry if this is the wrong place. Can you move the thread?
Thanks,
Devo
Thanks for the info. Porsche will always be on top of other German sports auto makes IMO. They build a superior sports car.

However, I still perfer M3's to the C2 basically because I find the C2 to be too small.....

Jason
      11-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #24
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Thanks for the info. Porsche will always be on top of other German sports auto makes IMO. They build a superior sports car.

However, I still perfer M3's to the C2 basically because I find the C2 to be too small.....

Jason
You're welcome.

I would think that the M's price will help determine if the 911S will be considered overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #25
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Supposedly:

997S 380 HP April 2008
997 345 HP April 2008
997 Turbo 505 HP Paris 2008 (Oct.) Also, PDK (7 speed dual clutch/clutchless)
997 GT3 435 HP April 2008, PDK

I still love the idea of the M (if it's priced right) but, Porsche is making the 997S and Turbo a lot more appealing to me.

435 HP out of 3.6 NA liters, quite impressive! Of course, they may increase the engine to 3.8 liters. Even so, it would still be impressive.
I am hearing the facelifted 997 with DFI and DCT may show up at Geneva with ordering to begin in July 08 with production likely in September 08. I hope your information is more accurate than mine. One good thing about Porsche is they usually only have the normal yearly price hike even with facelifts and power increases.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #26
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Ruff, your a die hard Porschefile arent you?

Ruff is more than a sound a doggie makes to you isnt it?
      11-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #27
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Ruff, your a die hard Porschefile arent you?

Ruff is more than a sound a doggie makes to you isnt it?
My interest in Porsche has been more recent. I am a die hard BMWfile. Actually ruff has a different meaning altogether. I never thought of it that way. Interesting coincidence though. Didn't you say you are a fighter pilot? Very impressive in my book.

Last edited by ruff; 11-18-2007 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #28
JEllis
Major General
Rep

No not a fighter pilot. I fly KC-130J's for the Corps... love my job!

Ahh, and you have cracked the code on my name...

I to am a Porsche fan. Been one forever however I just cant make the plunge. I find fast BMW's more interesting. Maybe one day when I have money to splurge I may pickup a 996.

For now the E92 M3 I have on order is going to satisfy me plenty!

Jason
      11-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #29
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:

Ahh, and you have cracked the code on my name...

I to am a Porsche fan. Been one forever however I just cant make the plunge. I find fast BMW's more interesting. Maybe one day when I have money to splurge I may pickup a 996.

For now the E92 M3 I have on order is going to satisfy me plenty!

Jason
Impressed the same. I have drifted a bit towards Porsche, since BMWs started getting heavier and they became obsessed with electronic aids.

This weekend I was so close to buying a low mileage, perfectly clean, and fairly loaded Cayman S that originally stickered for close to 75 k for 56 k. Glad I didn't pull the trigger. I want to wait and find out more about the M3 or possibly the 335d, especially with gas prices headed for the stratosphere. I am just a die hard believer that if a car is well engineered and well balanced from the chassis up, it shouldn't need electronic aids and undue complexity.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #30
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
I am just a die hard believer that if a car is well engineered and well balanced from the chassis up, it shouldn't need electronic aids and undue complexity.
The electronic aids are not there to make up for the shortcomings of a car.
More experienced drivers can turn off the electronic aids and operate the car just fine.
The electronics are there to keep regular drivers from flipping the vehicle.
      11-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #31
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
The electronic aids are not there to make up for the shortcomings of a car.
More experienced drivers can turn off the electronic aids and operate the car just fine.
The electronics are there to keep regular drivers from flipping the vehicle.
I wasn't aware that Servotronic, the flimsy seat belt assist, Idrive, sport button, and power seats saved lives. Now I know. These things also happen to add unecessary weight. You have made your self clear, this is of no concern to you because 3500+ lbs is considered a lightweight for in your view of true sports cars. Ya, 530 hp, 505 lbs of torque GT2 weighs 3200 lbs. Posche didn't seem to believe it needed Servotronic assist,a seat belt assist and I drive to save lives. However, the GT2 probably did include PSM for that purpose.

Last edited by ruff; 11-18-2007 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 11:39 PM   #32
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3, 07 328i

Quote:
I wasn't aware that Servotronic, the flimsy seat belt assist, Idrive, sport button, and power seats saved lives. Now I know. These things also happen to add unecessary weight. You have made your self clear, this is of no concern to you because 3500+ lbs is considered a lightweight for in your view of true sports cars. Ya, 530 hp, 505 lbs of torque GT2 weighs 3200 lbs. Posche didn't seem to believe it needed Servotronic assist,a seat belt assist and I drive to save lives. However, the GT2 probably did include PSM for that purpose.
this is a ridiculous argument. if you want a raw, track prepped street car then buy an M3 CSL. the non-CSL M3 is not focused on being a stripped out, raw track beast and hasn't been since the e30. the M3 now represents a classy, sporty, luxurious car that just happens to handle track duty quite nicely.

porsche has heavy cars too, as noted by the turbo's weight amongst others, but just like BMW they realize that the public wants a raw track performer and have the GTX models available just as bmw have solidified a spot in their M lineup for CSL models. face it, cars get heavier as time progresses and sadly a car just over 3000lbs is now considered to be light.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 11:41 PM   #33
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

OT

Quote:
OT...

Nice new siggy J, work, fun and future, lined right up! Is white the one you are the keenest on?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 06:30 AM   #34
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jworms View Post
this is a ridiculous argument.
It is and it has been edited much. Before it only read as;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff
I wasn't aware that Servotronic saved lives.
      11-19-2007, 11:32 AM   #35
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
this is a ridiculous argument. if you want a raw, track prepped street car then buy an M3 CSL. the non-CSL M3 is not focused on being a stripped out, raw track beast and hasn't been since the e30. the M3 now represents a classy, sporty, luxurious car that just happens to handle track duty quite nicely.

porsche has heavy cars too, as noted by the turbo's weight amongst others, but just like BMW they realize that the public wants a raw track performer and have the GTX models available just as bmw have solidified a spot in their M lineup for CSL models. face it, cars get heavier as time progresses and sadly a car just over 3000lbs is now considered to be light.
Ya, it is a ridiculous argument to be anti mass, since more mass increases cornering prowess and speed in the world of Motor Sport...right? We are talking about the M3 aren't we or was it the 7 series? Physics anyone?

I didn't know we could purchase the CSL in the States...good to know.

We can thank people like you for cars getting heavier. You just keep on checking all the luxury options. Just like your comment about the M3 representing a "luxurious" car. You hit the nail on the head. What the M3 needs is more luxury, it is the 21 rst Century you know? Problem is, the 21 rst Century doesn't change the law of physics.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #36
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ya, it is a ridiculous argument to be anti mass, since more mass increases cornering prowess and speed in the world of Motor Sport...right? We are talking about the M3 aren't we or was it the 7 series? Physics anyone?

I didn't know we could purchase the CSL in the States...good to know.

We can thank people like you for cars getting heavier. You just keep on checking all the luxury options. Just like your comment about the M3 representing a "luxurious" car. You hit the nail on the head. What the M3 needs is more luxury, it is the 21 rst Century you know? Problem is, the 21 rst Century doesn't change the law of physics.
wow, way to put words into my mouth - i must have really got to you with that last post. when did i say i was pro extra weight in cars? i didn't. what i said was that porsche has heavy cars too and isn't one to not get influenced by the whole 'adding of mass with non-performance items'. find me a porsche that is under 3000lbs now..oh right, you can't. where in my post did i say that a heavier car will be better on a track than a lighter car? oh, that's right, i didn't. as far as purchasing the CSL here, nobody knows yet, that wasn't the point of my post either. it was to point out that the M3 is no longer a homologated racecar like it was back in the e30 M3 days. hell, even the 997 GT3 has a sunroof that you can't get rid of. but you go ahead and live in your dream world where porsche only builds racecars and bmw only builds massive cars that can't handle worth a dime.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #37
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
OT...

Nice new siggy J, work, fun and future, lined right up! Is white the one you are the keenest on?
Yeah I am pretty set on white...

I like Jerez a lot but wouldnt like taking care of it

Jason
      11-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #38
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Are those turbo props chipped? (Are they even turbo props?) I bet you could beat more expensive cargo planes for less if you were to chip them.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #39
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
ruffs arguments are off.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #40
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
find me a porsche that is under 3000lbs now..oh right, you can't. .
Jworms, I hate to break it to ya, but you really ought to come to the table with some facts, before you start shooting off. And remember you ripped my comments, not the other way around. Did you forget that? So if you want to play, at least come halfway prepared and learn to play fair:

Straight out of the Cayman brochure:
Cayman curb weight: 2,866 lbs
Cayman S curb weight: 2,976 lbs

I believe I found two Porsches that weigh less than 3000 lbs, unless of course you still remain convinced that 2866 lbs is greater than 3000 lbs.

Quote:
but you go ahead and live in your dream world where porsche only builds racecars and bmw only builds massive cars that can't handle worth a dime.
Looks like we can both still live in my dream world of light sports cars. Oh ya, have you ever seen the Rolex Series or Grand Am series? Those cars are fairly light as well and they include not only BMW's but BMW's that compete and win against Porsches.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #41
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
ruffs arguments are off.
Mr. Harris, you might want to read the above thread and rethink your logic, or lack of.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 06:04 PM   #42
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Are those turbo props chipped? (Are they even turbo props?) I bet you could beat more expensive cargo planes for less if you were to chip them.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #43
jworms
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Jworms, I hate to break it to ya, but you really ought to come to the table with some facts, before you start shooting off. And remember you ripped my comments, not the other way around. Did you forget that? So if you want to play, at least come halfway prepared and learn to play fair:

Straight out of the Cayman brochure:
Cayman curb weight: 2866 lbs
Cayman S curb weight: 2976 llbs

I believe I found two Porsches that weigh less than 3000 lbs, unless of course you still remain convinced that 2866 lbs is greater than 3000 lbs.
i only looked at the 911 models, but you definitely got me. i'm sure you noted that none of the 911 models are under 3000lbs...but we won't talk about the 911 models in this thread, right?

Quote:
Looks like we can both still live in my dream world of light sports cars. Oh ya, have you ever seen the Rolex Series or Grand Am series? Those cars are fairly light as well and they include not only BMW's but BMW's that compete and win against Porsches.
oh are you really going to bring race prepped cars into this? come on...again, i never said less weight is bad.

i'd still love to hear your response on porsche including a STEEL sunroof standard on the 997 GT3. i guess that sunroof adds performance right?

Last edited by jworms; 11-19-2007 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0