BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #23
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
I think that's the thing though. Why spend so much money trying to make it like the cars you listed? Why not just buy one of those cars instead? None of these cars have great resale and are definitely something attainable in the used market. And let's be honest, once you buy a factory blown V8, you have so much more room for power than anything close to what you'll reliably get out of the S65. If you're always chasing what's modern, you're always going to be disappointed with what you own.
Loving a particular automobile is a very subjective personal thing. When it is time to buy, everyone has many things to consider. Unless of course you are a wealthy collector, then you just buy whatever you are in the mood for, that unfortunately is not me. At this stage of my life I do have a little to play with though...

I have owned several BMW's, Audi's, Camaro's, etc. Prior to the F8x cars the ///M cars were just not fast enough for me. I know many here will say the ///M brand is not about straight line speed. I get that, however personally I wanted more power. I strongly considered a F80 or F82 ///M, but again there were things I did not love. Full disclosure I probably would have purchased a M2C if not for the limited color choice. Off topic, I had the opportunity when I had my modded 135i to get a 1M at just over MSRP but couldn't get past the color choices back then as well. I probably made a mistake there...

I did the big power N54's (FBO 135i & Pure turbo 335i), but aesthetically and dynamically it just didn't do it for me. Sure I could have made it handle great with more mods, however it still would not have checked all the boxes.

I will skip to the my last 6th gen 1LE Camaro with a LT4 blower. This car looked awesome, handled frankly better than just about anything on the road and was fast a hell. In the end the car was lacking the quality I ultimately wanted. This car was ferocious though!

I actually found my current car on BAT and it was local enough for me to see it prior to the end of the auction. My car was flawless, only had 19K on the clock, supercharged, BBK, etc. I was sold, and fortunately won the auction. I still had my 6th gen, but did not care.

The cars I mentioned in the post above are simply mind blowing in terms of their performance envelope and make a very compelling case to go American.

IMHO a modded E92 is quite possibly the most aesthetically beautiful cars ever made. The quality of the car is fantastic while still feeling analog and raw. The performance of these cars modded to the level mine is will compete with some of the best out there. I no longer dream of other cars. I love all types of cars and bikes (I also have an Aprilia Tuono 1100rr), it is my passion. However I have finally found automotive bliss.

I read a post here not too long ago that really struck a chord with me, im not sure if this is verbatim.

A cars performance makes you buy it, a cars soul makes you keep it...

Sorry for the long post...

Last edited by M3R1; 05-27-2020 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 6
SYT_Shadow11468.50
OG Shark4685.50
neilum896.50
Siajoon1856.50
      05-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #24
Deebo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 ZCP

Quote:
I think that's the thing though. Why spend so much money trying to make it like the cars you listed? Why not just buy one of those cars instead? None of these cars have great resale and are definitely something attainable in the used market. And let's be honest, once you buy a factory blown V8, you have so much more room for power than anything close to what you'll reliably get out of the S65. If you're always chasing what's modern, you're always going to be disappointed with what you own.
Make no mistake, a 625/650 kitted E9X is no slouch. It is immensely powerful while still maintaining the high strung, rev happy nature of the car. If you’re constantly comparing drag timeslips online then yes, you might feel outgunned but it’s more than you’d ever need in a streetcar. All cost comparisons aside, you can always add power to a platform like an E9X. You can’t however add build quality, chassis feel, refinement, and classic styling to the alternatives listed. Therefore, if you want the best of all worlds, get a supercharged E9X. Like the poster above me, I no longer look for the next car.
Appreciate 2
M3R12164.00
      05-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #25
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

someone get the op and f8x

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #26
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Make no mistake, a 625/650 kitted E9X is no slouch. It is immensely powerful while still maintaining the high strung, rev happy nature of the car. If you’re constantly comparing drag timeslips online then yes, you might feel outgunned but it’s more than you’d ever need in a streetcar. All cost comparisons aside, you can always add power to a platform like an E9X. You can’t however add build quality, chassis feel, refinement, and classic styling to the alternatives listed. Therefore, if you want the best of all worlds, get a supercharged E9X. Like the poster above me, I no longer look for the next car.
It's one thing to say that you just really like a car and want it faster. I did that with my corrado because I didn't enjoy how slow it was when I would take it on road courses. It just wasn't fun and I've never subscribed to the "slow car fast" thing. I wasn't trying to keep up with anything else though. It was strictly for my own enjoyment because I really liked the car otherwise. So I get that. But the other poster was throwing out more modern and way faster cars as some type of target. I just don't think that's a good way to enjoy anything. It's a surefire way to constantly be disappointed with the car.

I will also say this. I think the e9x is fast enough stock for what it is. But adding 100+hp and actually keeping the stock balance between power and handling requires upgrading everything else. This is particularly true if you're going to drive the car hard beyond the occasional highway pull into the triple digits. You really do change the dynamics of the car with a substantial power gain. BMW designs/engineers their vehicles to behave in a certain way, in certain situations, with specific power output.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #27
YungField
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Yes, for sure one must decide whether to trade wonderful induction music for a crapton of power. Driving a 600whp E9X has to be extremely entertaining!!
After I posted my reply above, I took my car out for a Sunday drive. It is indeed entertaining...

OP, I think everyone here agrees. Keep your car!
I decided to keep the car and just add a underdrive pulley, exhaust and a new tune.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #28
YungField
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Make no mistake, a 625/650 kitted E9X is no slouch. It is immensely powerful while still maintaining the high strung, rev happy nature of the car. If you're constantly comparing drag timeslips online then yes, you might feel outgunned but it's more than you'd ever need in a streetcar. All cost comparisons aside, you can always add power to a platform like an E9X. You can't however add build quality, chassis feel, refinement, and classic styling to the alternatives listed. Therefore, if you want the best of all worlds, get a supercharged E9X. Like the poster above me, I no longer look for the next car.
It's one thing to say that you just really like a car and want it faster. I did that with my corrado because I didn't enjoy how slow it was when I would take it on road courses. It just wasn't fun and I've never subscribed to the "slow car fast" thing. I wasn't trying to keep up with anything else though. It was strictly for my own enjoyment because I really liked the car otherwise. So I get that. But the other poster was throwing out more modern and way faster cars as some type of target. I just don't think that's a good way to enjoy anything. It's a surefire way to constantly be disappointed with the car.

I will also say this. I think the e9x is fast enough stock for what it is. But adding 100+hp and actually keeping the stock balance between power and handling requires upgrading everything else. This is particularly true if you're going to drive the car hard beyond the occasional highway pull into the triple digits. You really do change the dynamics of the car with a substantial power gain. BMW designs/engineers their vehicles to behave in a certain way, in certain situations, with specific power output.
The e9x is fast for me and I love the sound of that S65. I decided to just keep the car and do simple mods to my taste
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 05:44 PM   #29
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungField View Post
The e9x is fast for me and I love the sound of that S65. I decided to just keep the car and do simple mods to my taste
I think this is the best way to enjoy these cars. They really don't need much.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 06:08 PM   #30
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
It's funny....I had a ess650 M3 from 2012-2016 and now I have a 2012 e92 M3 which is stock and a 2015 911 Turbo S which must be nearing 1,000 hp (182mph 1/2 mile) and a 2015 GT3 which are great street cars but used mainly for race/track events because given the choice, I'd rather drive my stock 2012 e92 DCT M3 on the street. It has been optimized with Cup2 tires and good alignment and I have learned to be able to drive the car at 10/10ths on the street and that is super rewarding. I take the M3 and GT3 both to the same track event and to be honest not sure which I prefer.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 2
Not Sure212.50
      06-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #31
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
E92 is plenty fast and more than you can safely use on the public road.

I dont even get why so many people SC them. Its perfectly balanced at ~400whp. As others have said if you want a drag car this (or any BMW) is not the best starting point.
Agreed! My opinion was formed based on having an E90 M3 6speed, then moving on to an F10 M5 (tuned), and now wanting to get back into an e9x M3.

Power isn't everything fellas. Trust me, I was seduced by the power of the F10 M5. No I find myself longing for the balance and experience of an e9x M3.
      03-19-2021, 12:58 AM   #32
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Quote:
Loving a particular automobile is a very subjective personal thing. When it is time to buy, everyone has many things to consider. Unless of course you are a wealthy collector, then you just buy whatever you are in the mood for, that unfortunately is not me. At this stage of my life I do have a little to play with though...

I have owned several BMW's, Audi's, Camaro's, etc. Prior to the F8x cars the ///M cars were just not fast enough for me. I know many here will say the ///M brand is not about straight line speed. I get that, however personally I wanted more power. I strongly considered a F80 or F82 ///M, but again there were things I did not love. Full disclosure I probably would have purchased a M2C if not for the limited color choice. Off topic, I had the opportunity when I had my modded 135i to get a 1M at just over MSRP but couldn't get past the color choices back then as well. I probably made a mistake there...

I did the big power N54's (FBO 135i & Pure turbo 335i), but aesthetically and dynamically it just didn't do it for me. Sure I could have made it handle great with more mods, however it still would not have checked all the boxes.

I will skip to the my last 6th gen 1LE Camaro with a LT4 blower. This car looked awesome, handled frankly better than just about anything on the road and was fast a hell. In the end the car was lacking the quality I ultimately wanted. This car was ferocious though!

I actually found my current car on BAT and it was local enough for me to see it prior to the end of the auction. My car was flawless, only had 19K on the clock, supercharged, BBK, etc. I was sold, and fortunately won the auction. I still had my 6th gen, but did not care.

The cars I mentioned in the post above are simply mind blowing in terms of their performance envelope and make a very compelling case to go American.

IMHO a modded E92 is quite possibly the most aesthetically beautiful cars ever made. The quality of the car is fantastic while still feeling analog and raw. The performance of these cars modded to the level mine is will compete with some of the best out there. I no longer dream of other cars. I love all types of cars and bikes (I also have an Aprilia Tuono 1100rr), it is my passion. However I have finally found automotive bliss.

I read a post here not too long ago that really struck a chord with me, im not sure if this is verbatim.

A cars performance makes you buy it, a cars soul makes you keep it...

Sorry for the long post...
Ooof love that quote! Spot on my friend..
Spot on
Appreciate 0