BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ram 3500, f80M3, e36M3

Fall Line DCT Pan?

Any of you track rats try this out yet? Looks like a quality option to the Slon pan.
Appreciate 1
pskills19.50
      08-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Is this new? Can't say I remember ever seeing it.

Fall-Line is a well-regarded name in BMWs and racing in general, so I assume it was built based upon their experience and learnings on the track.
      08-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Is this new? Can't say I remember ever seeing it.

Fall-Line is a well-regarded name in BMWs and racing in general, so I assume it was built based upon their experience and learnings on the track.
I should have included a link.... It is fairly new

https://futureclassic.us/collections...um-dct-oil-pan
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Looks really nice. Have you thought about calling Fall-Line directly and asking them about the R&D and if they use it on their own race cars?
      08-26-2020, 12:02 AM   #5
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
I'll start by saying that I have the Slon pan and am a big fan of it. One of the reasons is that Slon includes a clever second piece---a spacer that lowers the suction intake down into the larger pan. The Fall-Line pan does not seem to include such a thing.

In my humble opinion, if you're fighting oil starvation in high-G situations, what good would a 1000 gallon pan do for you if you're still sipping from the top of the oil? Starvation is a real thing at high grip levels. I have suffered a LOT of it. And the Slon pan addressed it. In the end, to me, it makes sense to lower the suction intakes into the deeper pan so that starvation can be avoided.

Have you seen the pictures I included on my build thread when I did the install? They show the spacer piece before install and on the car. If you haven't, I think it's worth a look. Check out Posts #711 and 715 on this page for pictures: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...158445&page=33

The Fall-Line pan uses a rubber seal......The Slon pan is CNC-machined to sit flush up against the transmission and you use Loctite gasket maker to seal it. I don't know what is better. All I can tell you is that the Loctite gasket maker used on the Slon pan has not dripped one drop in over two years. The BMW rubber seal ALWAYS leaked. How will the Fall-Line rubber seal hold up? Don't know.

As far as the internal baffles, the Slon pan baffles are full height inside the pan near the outside edges (again, look at the pix on my thread) while the Fall-Line baffles are shorter in height. I don't know which is better, but again the Slon pan has been very effective for me.

The literature on the site does not say how much more capacity is in the Fall-Line......odd. They say it doesn't change ground clearance which means it can't add that much extra capacity. The Slon pan adds around 1 liter. The pan is the lowest point of the car---just barely lower than the Akra X-pipes. I have hit it at least once. I don't know when or where I hit it. It scraped the pan, but it took the hit fine.

The Fall-Line unit has external ports for adding another DCT oil cooler. That seems unique. I don't immediately recall seeing any other pan that has that. Since I don't race for an hour, it's not an issue for me. My issues were starvation at sustained high-G's.

Last edited by dogbone; 08-26-2020 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 8
Makaveli7116.50
///Mobbin1474.50
dparm3848.00
wyatth3544.00
FMLYSDN1179.50
_paolo189.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
tsk941516.00
      08-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #6
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I'll start by saying that I have the Slon pan and am a big fan of it. One of the reasons is that Slon includes a clever second piece---a spacer that lowers the suction intake down into the larger pan. The Fall-Line pan does not seem to include such a thing.

In my humble opinion, if you're fighting oil starvation in high-G situations, what good would a 1000 gallon pan do for you if you're still sipping from the top of the oil? Starvation is a real thing at high grip levels. I have suffered a LOT of it. And the Slon pan addressed it. In the end, to me, it makes sense to lower the suction intakes into the deeper pan so that starvation can be avoided.

Have you seen the pictures I included on my build thread when I did the install? They show the spacer piece before install and on the car. If you haven't, I think it's worth a look. Check out Posts #711 and 715 on this page for pictures: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...158445&page=33

The Fall-Line pan uses a rubber seal......The Slon pan is CNC-machined to sit flush up against the transmission and you use Loctite gasket maker to seal it. I don't know what is better. All I can tell you is that the Loctite gasket maker used on the Slon pan has not dripped one drop in over two years. The BMW rubber seal ALWAYS leaked. How will the Fall-Line rubber seal hold up? Don't know.

As far as the internal baffles, the Slon pan baffles are full height inside the pan near the outside edges (again, look at the pix on my thread) while the Fall-Line baffles are shorter in height. I don't know which is better, but again the Slon pan has been very effective for me.

The literature on the site does not say how much more capacity is in the Fall-Line......odd. They say it doesn't change ground clearance which means it can't add that much extra capacity. The Slon pan adds around 1 liter. The pan is the lowest point of the car---just barely lower than the Akra X-pipes. I have hit it at least once. I don't know when or where I hit it. It scraped the pan, but it took the hit fine.

The Fall-Line unit has external ports for adding another DCT oil cooler. That seems unique. I don't immediately recall seeing any other pan that has that. Since I don't race for an hour, it's not an issue for me. My issues were starvation at sustained high-G's.
Agreed! been using my SLON for over a year....no leaks and really does the job!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      08-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #7
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
I'll start by saying that I have the Slon pan and am a big fan of it. One of the reasons is that Slon includes a clever second piece---a spacer that lowers the suction intake down into the larger pan. The Fall-Line pan does not seem to include such a thing...

The Fall-Line pan uses a rubber seal......The Slon pan is CNC-machined to sit flush up against the transmission and you use Loctite gasket maker to seal it ...

As far as the internal baffles, the Slon pan baffles are full height inside the pan near the outside edges ...

The literature on the site does not say how much more capacity is in the Fall-Line......odd. They say it doesn't change ground clearance which means it can't add that much extra capacity. The Slon pan adds around 1 liter. The pan is the lowest point of the car ...
My thoughts after comparing the 2:

I think both sealing solutions will work. OE is a shitty rubber gasket with a warp-prone plastic pan. Slon uses Loctine, Fall Line uses a viton o-ring in a CNC'd channel.

The Slon baffles look taller/better, but Fall Line is at least no worse than stock in this regard (other aftermarket pans have NO baffles!).

I expect the Fall Line will add about .5L, since the depth is about the same as Slon at the deep end, but angles up to normal height at the shallow end. Not as much additional fluid capacity, but some, and when combined with the GTS fill method (jack one side up or banjo bolt), could add about 1L over stock. Individuals need to decide what they prioritize, an additional .5L or ground clearance.

The spacer on the intake is definitely what sets the Slon pan apart. I can't tell if the spacer is at the deep or shallow end of the Fall Line pan. If the deep end, then the lack of a spacer is some real oversight. If the shallow end, then it seems like the intake would already be at the pan's bottom there.

I think both look well made and will address the primary problems of the OEM pan. Fall Line is a little cheaper and more readily available, but Slon remains a great option.
Appreciate 1
slcook541859.50
      08-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Looks really nice. Have you thought about calling Fall-Line directly and asking them about the R&D and if they use it on their own race cars?
I could call Fall-Line but I was wondering if anybody had actually bought one?

I know Slon's pan has a large install base with the track group here. It seems to work well but its not perfect.

The Fall-Line pan has some cool features too like the ground clearance being taken into account and the ability to add another cooler. Fall-Line has a lot of experience racing BMWs likely more than most anybody else making one of these aftermarket pans.

Ultimately I'd rather support an American company if the product works.
Appreciate 1
wyatth3544.00
      08-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

You might want to sell your "Meisterschaft" exhaust then. It was involved in a mini-scandal, pretending to be part of Eisenmann.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #10
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyippee View Post
You might want to sell your "Meisterschaft" exhaust then. It was involved in a mini-scandal, pretending to be part of Eisenmann.
Thanks for the well documented history lesson. I know all about them and I know their stuff is made in Korea and or China.

Not sure what that has to do with Fall Line's DCT pan?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #11
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
fwiw, the deeper part of the Fall-Line pan faces the front of the car. I wonder why they did that way. If the bottom of the pan doesn't sit horizontal to the ground---and I have no idea if it does (heck, the car's rake could affect that)---this would encourage fluid to pool in the front of the pan which is not where you want it. The intake points to the rear of the car and sucks from the middle of the pan.

In the pics below, you can see the flat white horizontally-oriented intake. I put blue blobs to show where the oil would be encouraged to pool if the pan doesn't sit completely flat---away from the intake inlet.

Here's the Fall-Line pan. I added text that shows the front and rear.

Since the Fall-Line pan is taller in the front, that also may semi-negate the potential advantage of clearance over other pans.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1474.50
      08-28-2020, 06:30 PM   #12
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36clubracer View Post
Thanks for the well documented history lesson. I know all about them and I know their stuff is made in Korea and or China.

Not sure what that has to do with Fall Line's DCT pan?
Not much. It just seemed strange to call out country of manufacture when the rest of us were mostly pointing to positive aspects of the Slon part regarding design + experience.

I get the buy American thing, and have had American-made parts too, such as Magnaflow exhaust parts on my current and past cars before. Seemed strange to tout buying American when not running American parts, why would a DCT pan be any different? We can agree to disagree. I'm not looking to argue with people online, just pointing out what seemed odd to me.

Ultimately for me, it's cool to see another decent looking product out there. I think a lot of us are already running the Slon pan, so how about getting the Fall Line part and sharing your experience? There are people who have wanted pans but didn't want the long wait time of the Slon part.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #13
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyippee View Post
Not much. It just seemed strange to call out country of manufacture when the rest of us were mostly pointing to positive aspects of the Slon part regarding design + experience.

I get the buy American thing, and have had American-made parts too, such as Magnaflow exhaust parts on my current and past cars before. Seemed strange to tout buying American when not running American parts, why would a DCT pan be any different? We can agree to disagree. I'm not looking to argue with people online, just pointing out what seemed odd to me.

Ultimately for me, it's cool to see another decent looking product out there. I think a lot of us are already running the Slon pan, so how about getting the Fall Line part and sharing your experience? There are people who have wanted pans but didn't want the long wait time of the Slon part.
kyippee - Your comment about Meisterschaft cracks me up. Maybe I got it as a gift? Maybe it came on the car? What about the BBS RIA wheels I have? Wheels from a German company but made them in Japan?! Wild! You're obviously just trying to stir the pot and detract from the topic. No thanks!

Dogbone - thank you for the info that is very helpful. I was trying to visualize the orientation but your pictures made it much easier for me.

I was asking if anybody had tried out the Fall Line pan. According to Future Classic they sold out the first run of them. Maybe somebody here had bought one?

I'll give the shop at Fall-Line a call next week and gather more info on testing and design they have done. I am also curious if they are making them in house or if they are subbing it out. More interested too if that is their DMG-Mori machine they mention.
Appreciate 1
kyippee1072.00
      08-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #14
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sounds good e36clubracer I think your response clarifies what I was reading into. In terms of on-topic, I'm looking forward to your findings on the Fall Line parts. Having several good options in the market would be nice
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:16 AM   #15
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

I was going to say the same thing. Regardless of how good the general reputation of Fall Line is, the SLON pan has been tested by many people and offers real solutions to the problems.

I've bought three of them so far...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #16
Samo6556
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW M3

Based of design I would go with slon pan. I like the extension to the pick up tube. I already have the slon pan and if fixed my issues. I haven't had the chance to see fall lines yet in person, but everything they make is usually is very well thought out.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #17
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I have had the opportunity to lay hands on both the Fall-Line and the SLON pan. I currently have the SLON pan on my car and have had good results with it other than clearance issues (it has scraped the ground), and some slight seeping at the sealing area. While the SLON pan's extra capacity is welcome, it is now the lowest point on the car. That presents it's own challenges. The extra capacity paired with a CSF DCT cooler did not solve my transmission overheating problem on a 30 minute session at Road America. I wasn't having issues with shorter 20 minute sessions common in CA. I plan to switch to a D088 cooler and Fall-Line pan this winter. Or I may keep the CSF and add a Fall-Line auxiliary cooler.

The SLON pan is deeper and has more capacity, plus comes with an extension to the oil pickup, however..... made in Russia, spotty communication, and longer lead times.

The Fall-Line pan is made in the USA to tighter tolerances and is designed to use a "Viton O-Ring that resides within a clever internal channel. Viton O-Rings, due to their exceptional resistance to temperature extremes (-20°F to 400°F operating temp) and low gas permeability, have incredible aging characteristics and therefore eliminate the need for regular replacement". This ring requires tighter machining tolerances then the gasket material that SLON uses.

The Fall-Line pan is modeled off of the OE M3 GT4 pan, and has been extensively tested in race use by Fall-Line. I know all of you here are tracking your cars and put down very fast lap times. However, Fall-Line has been at this for years and actually campaigned and supported legit e92 race teams. This isn't a part that they just threw together. It had been tested for years but not released to the public until now. The GT4 does not use a pick-up extension and my understanding is that the tapered design of the fall-line pan negates the need for it - PLUS improves ground clearance. As you can see in DogBone's pics (thanks DB), the pickup is towards the rear of the pan. This is where the Fall-Line pan is tapered to a lower height. The other major bonus of the Fall-Line pan is the ability to add an additional DCT cooler. There will be a cooling package offered as an optional addition in the future.

I will add more techical information if/when I get it from Fall-Line but this is what I know thus-far.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 09-06-2020 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 4
911r887.50
dparm3848.00
kyippee1072.00
      09-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #18
slicer
Major General
Rep

Some quick pics:
Attached Images

'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 3
911r887.50
PrimeBMW661.50
kyippee1072.00
      09-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #19
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I have had the opportunity to lay hands on both the Fall-Line and the SLON pan. I currently have the SLON pan on my car and have had good results with it other than clearance issues (it has scraped the ground), and some slight seeping at the sealing area. While the SLON pan's extra capacity is welcome, it is now the lowest point on the car. That presents it's own challenges. I plan to switch to Fall-Line this winter.

The SLON pan is deeper and has more capacity, plus comes with an extension to the oil pickup, however.....

The Fall-Line pan is made to tighter tolerances and is designed to use a "Viton O-Ring that resides within a clever internal channel. Viton O-Rings, due to their exceptional resistance to temperature extremes (-20°F to 400°F operating temp) and low gas permeability, have incredible aging characteristics and therefore eliminate the need for regular replacement". This ring requires tighter machining tolerances then the gasket material that SLON uses.

The Fall-Line pan is modeled off of the OE M3 GT4 pan, and has been extensively tested in race use by Fall-Line. I know all of you here are tracking your cars and put down very fast lap times. However, Fall-Line has been at this for years and actually campaigned and supported legit e92 race teams. This isn't a part that they just threw together. It had been tested for years but not released to the public until now. The GT4 does not use a pick-up extension and my understanding is that the tapered design of the fall-line pan negates the need for it - PLUS improves ground clearance. As you can see in DogBone's pics (thanks DB), the pickup is towards the rear of the pan. This where the Fall-Line pan is tapered to a lower height. The other major bonus of the Fall-Line pan is the ability to add an additional DCT cooler. There will be a cooling package offered as an optional addition in the future.

I will add more techical information if/when I get it from Fall-Line but this is what I know thus-far.
My DCT pan is leaking a decent amount, and I'm planning on having it serviced ASAP. Malek mentioned this wouldn't come in handy on a car that isn't regularly tracked — what do you think? Might just go ahead and throw one in my car anyways. I'm a sucker for well designed products.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #20
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I have had the opportunity to lay hands on both the Fall-Line and the SLON pan. I currently have the SLON pan on my car and have had good results with it other than clearance issues (it has scraped the ground), and some slight seeping at the sealing area. While the SLON pan's extra capacity is welcome, it is now the lowest point on the car. That presents it's own challenges. I plan to switch to Fall-Line this winter.

The SLON pan is deeper and has more capacity, plus comes with an extension to the oil pickup, however.....

The Fall-Line pan is made to tighter tolerances and is designed to use a "Viton O-Ring that resides within a clever internal channel. Viton O-Rings, due to their exceptional resistance to temperature extremes (-20°F to 400°F operating temp) and low gas permeability, have incredible aging characteristics and therefore eliminate the need for regular replacement". This ring requires tighter machining tolerances then the gasket material that SLON uses.

The Fall-Line pan is modeled off of the OE M3 GT4 pan, and has been extensively tested in race use by Fall-Line. I know all of you here are tracking your cars and put down very fast lap times. However, Fall-Line has been at this for years and actually campaigned and supported legit e92 race teams. This isn't a part that they just threw together. It had been tested for years but not released to the public until now. The GT4 does not use a pick-up extension and my understanding is that the tapered design of the fall-line pan negates the need for it - PLUS improves ground clearance. As you can see in DogBone's pics (thanks DB), the pickup is towards the rear of the pan. This where the Fall-Line pan is tapered to a lower height. The other major bonus of the Fall-Line pan is the ability to add an additional DCT cooler. There will be a cooling package offered as an optional addition in the future.

My DCT pan is leaking a decent amount, and I'm planning on having it serviced ASAP. Malek mentioned this wouldn't come in handy on a car that isn't regularly tracked — what do you think? Might just go ahead and throw one in my car anyways. I'm a sucker for well designed products.
He has a point and I generally agree with him. However in your case I would do it since you need to pull the pan anyway.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 10:01 PM   #21
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Street cars would benefit from either Fall Line or SLON pans just because they won't warp and leak over time. I have a SLON pan and very happy with it even if I don't track that much anymore.

The SLON pan is the lowest point on the belly right now, but I can still fit the felt belly pan over it (probably doesn't help with cooling lol) and it hasn't scraped anything yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #22
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Street cars would benefit from either Fall Line or SLON pans just because they won't warp and leak over time. I have a SLON pan and very happy with it even if I don't track that much anymore.

The SLON pan is the lowest point on the belly right now, but I can still fit the felt belly pan over it (probably doesn't help with cooling lol) and it hasn't scraped anything yet.
Scraping is overrated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0