BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
M5280RCR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT + some other stuff

CA Smog ESS 625 Tune

I am coming up on CA smog (star certified this year FWIW) and am planning on reinstalling my OEM mid and rear exhaust) and installing the "detune" that ESS emailed me.

I am not quite sure how the tune installs, I assume I just connect the my laptop to the OBC (with originally supplied ESS cable), open the files (there are two of them) and I will prompted what to do. I asked ESS to confirm, but I have not heard back from them. Then I understand I should drive it a few days keeping RPM's under 4k. Any idea how many miles I should put on it?

So, the questions I have are:

Is installing the detune as easy as I am assuming above
Does anyone have advice on installing the "detune".
Has anyone in CA successfully smog a car in CA via this method

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
atranho
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 12' ZCP AW M3 - GONE

Not positive on the detune but I know you will need to go to a shop that doesn't care / skips the visual. Im guessing as long as all your sensors are ready and there is no CEL you should be fine
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
Aktavate
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
2002 911 Turbo  [0.00]
Finding a star cert station that will overlook visual is going to be even more difficult than a normal one but I'm sure people do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you have a supercharger installed, you won't legitimately pass. Pipes/tunes don't matter.
      07-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #5
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5280RCR View Post
I am coming up on CA smog (star certified this year FWIW) and am planning on reinstalling my OEM mid and rear exhaust) and installing the "detune" that ESS emailed me.

I am not quite sure how the tune installs, I assume I just connect the my laptop to the OBC (with originally supplied ESS cable), open the files (there are two of them) and I will prompted what to do. I asked ESS to confirm, but I have not heard back from them. Then I understand I should drive it a few days keeping RPM's under 4k. Any idea how many miles I should put on it?

So, the questions I have are:

Is installing the detune as easy as I am assuming above
Does anyone have advice on installing the "detune".
Has anyone in CA successfully smog a car in CA via this method

Thanks in advance.
As soon as they pop your hood and see the huffer you will fail the visual unless the huffer has a CARB exempt number.

That is the reason why I won't do a blower. Otherwise I would be contacting Mike at BPM for a Harrop.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
M5280RCR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktavate View Post
Finding a star cert station that will overlook visual is going to be even more difficult than a normal one but I'm sure people do it.
Thanks for the feedback Aktavate. I notice you have a 996 TT and I am toying with the idea of replacing my E92 (which is my DD) with a 996 TT. How would you compare the rides; or usability of the TT as a DD? Also, I see the mods on your E92 in your signature, any mods on the TT?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
Aktavate
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
2002 911 Turbo  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5280RCR View Post
Thanks for the feedback Aktavate. I notice you have a 996 TT and I am toying with the idea of replacing my E92 (which is my DD) with a 996 TT. How would you compare the rides; or usability of the TT as a DD? Also, I see the mods on your E92 in your signature, any mods on the TT?

Thanks
Only real thing I have on the M3 is ohlins RT and wheels, no tune. 911 also has KWV3 coils, wheels, ECU flash, LWFW, and catless exahust, still on stock turbos, and some other minor mods. To my mind theyre very different cars but thats why I wanted the M3; 911 has tons more torque and is basically 'faster' but I also wanted a high revving car that you kind of have to really flog to get all the performance out of which is why the s65 is cool. Never been in a S/C M3 myself but it may be comparable to the 911 as far as acceleration feels. Daily is hard to say, kind of what youre willing to put up with and if you want to keep it stock. Stock vs stock theyre probably very similar as far as utility goes, just more low speed power in the 911. If you have more specific questions I'm happy to try and answer, just shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #8
M5280RCR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktavate View Post
Only real thing I have on the M3 is ohlins RT and wheels, no tune. 911 also has KWV3 coils, wheels, ECU flash, LWFW, and catless exahust, still on stock turbos, and some other minor mods. To my mind theyre very different cars but thats why I wanted the M3; 911 has tons more torque and is basically 'faster' but I also wanted a high revving car that you kind of have to really flog to get all the performance out of which is why the s65 is cool. Never been in a S/C M3 myself but it may be comparable to the 911 as far as acceleration feels. Daily is hard to say, kind of what youre willing to put up with and if you want to keep it stock. Stock vs stock theyre probably very similar as far as utility goes, just more low speed power in the 911. If you have more specific questions I'm happy to try and answer, just shoot me a PM.
Thanks, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 05:53 AM   #9
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

From e90 M3 to 996 TT, that's a downgrade in my opinion in every department except Probably HP. I wont bother doing that in my opinion unless you aim for 997.2 TT
Appreciate 0