BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
EXXEL Distributions
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #991
DaveDee
When there's no problem more power is the solution
DaveDee's Avatar
Australia
193
Rep
1,267
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 Edition M-DCT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gold Coast Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Here's the link:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1060982

A number of questions have come in with regard to power gains - and Harrop is going to be averaging results and providing a figure. In terms of power gain, it's roughly a 50% gain over stock, which would put this kit on par with the 600/625HP kits out there today. It's great having a substantial torque gain even in the lower RPM's, as most of the centri kits out there aren't making above 6PSI until 7,000 RPM. This makes the kit much more fun and responsive in daily driving, and negates the need to run up to redline all the time. This kit gives you full boost in the mid 3,000 RPM range as compared to roughly 2 or 3 PSI as provided by the Centri kits available.
In addition there are some other features not possible with any centri
Fitment is as good as, if not better than OE with the stock air box retained and no need to find an alternate location for the pod filter

The design and placement of the intercooler radiator does not cover the oil cooler
With a previous centri I found "walk mode" impossible and very low speed driving jerky, the Harrop kit handles all driving modes like stock until you are making power.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #992
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
BPMSport's Avatar
United_States
2557
Rep
7,299
Posts


Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [3.75]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
In addition there are some other features not possible with any centri
Fitment is as good as, if not better than OE with the stock air box retained and no need to find an alternate location for the pod filter

The design and placement of the intercooler radiator does not cover the oil cooler
With a previous centri I found "walk mode" impossible and very low speed driving jerky, the Harrop kit handles all driving modes like stock until you are making power.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #993
JTO24
Got an 8:30 res at Dorsia
JTO24's Avatar
United_States
3157
Rep
4,622
Posts

Drives: 2018 AW M2 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (7)

This looks great.. I'm at that point of do I keep the e92 for the long term and sc it or cave and get an f80 next year? Great work here!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #994
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
253
Rep
3,844
Posts

Drives: Audi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24
This looks great.. I'm at that point of do I keep the e92 for the long term and sc it or cave and get an f80 next year? Great work here!
That's the point I am at, but looking into other cars
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #995
Alex07M3
Banned
72
Rep
2,690
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24
This looks great.. I'm at that point of do I keep the e92 for the long term and sc it or cave and get an f80 next year? Great work here!
That's the point I am at, but looking into other cars
Whaaaaat, I've been banned two months, I come back and you still don't have a supercharger!?!

Just joking!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 01:38 AM   #996
Limey
EXC MIII
Limey's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
625
Posts

Drives: on the wrong side
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 949

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
This looks great.. I'm at that point of do I keep the e92 for the long term and sc it or cave and get an f80 next year? Great work here!
Im not going to pretend I'm not a fan of harrop, having been lucky enough to acquire a prerelease kit, but I was going to address the above thought when I wrote an (overdue) review so I'll keep going because I think it aplies to a lot of non-supercharged M3 owners.

The kit was on the cards for me for almost a year before install during which my lease end was 12 months away, so starting to shop other cars, M4 included. I'm just really glad I stuck with my M3. And the Harrop kit is by far the most compelling reason for me, above the fact it's BMW's last N/A V8 and a potential classic, and a ton of other stuff, coupled of course with the fact the m4 sounds like an old woman.

Perhaps I'll get an M4, but I'll wait for the LCI update when some of the bugs are fixed and I can drive the "finished project" with the most advanced aftermarket mods. But I'm way more into the thought of keeping the car for the long term. Again, mostly because of how the kit fixes the one thing it needs to feel complete.

I've driven VF and ESS kits and was left expecting more evey time, or I would have bought one a year or so ago. This kit is so different for many reasons.

First off the level of customer service is solid. And yes I've been testing the kit, so I've got top notch service and support, from both BBI, Mike and even in person with the Harrop guys themselves, but they are really professional and really committed to the kit and furthering its development, which is exciting in itself given the kit's impressive potential, Overall they really inspired confidence in me (don't think I didn't go back and forth on testing a kit on a leased car.....eeeek).

Secondly, the kit comes in a nice big blue crate, like some industrial size ice chest that you'd expect liquid nitrogen to pour out of and reveal a transplant heart lost in transit, but that didn't happen obviously. The quality is really impressive; the discreet, "sleeper" appearance, the insanely high quality craftsmanship, right down to the ease of install and even the instruction manual and the software/cable. You rarely see it but it's just nice knowing it's there and having the confidence it's really well made.

And thirdly, you pretty much know it's there all the time. That whine may not be appreciated by some, and it's always apparent (I understand a harrop is close to a solution to mute or eliminate the whine for those that don't want it) albeit its barely audible when you're just cruising with windows up. I really love and miss the intake growl of the stock engine, but the whine may be one of the main reasons for buying this kit over centris though. The whine was an unexpected surprise for me and I soon started really appreciating it. It"s just pretty damn intoxicating and eggs you on to keep accelerating as the pitch increases, and you can hear the thing working for you. It definitely turns heads and I think people either are just curious or because you can hear it from far and they think it's a siren Perhaps my insurance should go down now people can hear me coming.

And then there's the power or, more importantly, the torque. It's very obvious. It's everywhere from the slightest tap of the throttle all the way into the 8,000's and the power delivery is OEM smooth. It's kind of fixed the S65's main performance weakness and main gripe of most E9x fans. It's the same engine and feels the same, there's just much more of what you want, when you want it and it's completely unique in that respect. It doesn't have the top end power of centris but I rarely go there anyway so can't focus on peak numbers when comparing this kit to others. The reason it trumps centris for me is obvious when you drive it. It's just so much fun and you don't have to rev the crap out of it any more. It really makes the M3 the perfect daily driver for me now it has that torque and the car feels more complete. And with Stage 2 on its way, and other new features under testing such as muffling the whine for those that don't want it, this kit should keep improving.

So I'm a bit of a fan boy and I love the kit. However, its not the only solid supercharger option, and it's not the cheapest, (although I'd argue it's the best value from a performance standpoint for my needs), you should probably upgrade your rod bearings, and you may need a set of wider rear tyres. You get what you pay for though

Gas mileage and grip have not been an issue, albeit I'm running 295 Advan R's in the rear and BBI tweaked my KW sleevovers to improve rake etc and markedly improved grip and handling. I also mostly set my EDC to comfort mode and noticed an improvement. The rear end bites under all but the hardest throttle application so you can definitely melt some tires if you want but generally it really pulls from a stand still and the initial acceleration in first (I'm 6 speed) slams you in you in your seat. Haven't driven in the wet yet so that will be "experimental".

Reliability has been good during testing. No overheating at all and I've pushed it hard in the recent heat, and tracked cars have held up well too. I had a small software/hardware issue unique to my car, which was promptly diagnosed and resolved, and the latest release version tune has been working flawlessly. I did ironically also just have the idle valve die on me, a common problem and unrelated to the blower, however it's worth mentioning while BMW loved the kit they didn't love being asked to remove it to warranty the valve so they sold me one for $350 for BBI to install when they upgrade my rod bearings next week. I hope to dynojet it shortly after that and share the graphs. Given the long testing period, and commitment it took to perfect this kit, the OEM+ quality, solid reliability on all kits thus far even under heavy track use, and Harrop's proven reputation, I'd expect the kit to perform reliably.

Finally, I changed my AE Performance muffler (sounds great and currently for sale) back to stock but kept my Challenge Sport x pipe. Coupled with the blower the exhaust just got too loud for me and I wanted to balance it more with the whine. It worked and the car sounds nuts. The whine just sounds so good

I'd give it 8/10. I'll ding it cos some won't like the whine, it's a little bit spendy, and stage 2 and a few other cool features aren't complete yet. Otherwise, like I said, this a really good reason to keep your e9x. Oh and I think I need to upgrade my OEM brakes
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP: Harrop | Remus | Vorsteiner | Arkym | BMW Performance | UUC | Recaro etc

Check out my build: Limey's E90 | Daily Driver Evolved

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 03:17 AM   #997
DaveDee
When there's no problem more power is the solution
DaveDee's Avatar
Australia
193
Rep
1,267
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 Edition M-DCT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gold Coast Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Oh and I think I need to upgrade my OEM brakes [/QUOTE]

When you do......the Harrop BBK is second to none.
Attached Images
 
__________________

Last edited by DaveDee; 11-28-2014 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 03:22 AM   #998
ashtaron14
Captain
ashtaron14's Avatar
Hong Kong
672
Rep
969
Posts

Drives: M2C 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: HK

iTrader: (0)

DaveDee: Is that a CF OEM Intake Cover? Where did you get that?

Limey: Yeah you def need Big Brakes for the car with this upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 03:26 AM   #999
DaveDee
When there's no problem more power is the solution
DaveDee's Avatar
Australia
193
Rep
1,267
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 Edition M-DCT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gold Coast Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
DaveDee: Is that a CF OEM Intake Cover? Where did you get that?

Limey: Yeah you def need Big Brakes for the car with this upgrade!
No it's not carbon fibre, it's a wrap but looks quite effective. Was an experiment when doing some other wrap.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #1000
IMG
IMG's Avatar
United_States
452
Rep
7,442
Posts

Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Location

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
Im not going to pretend I'm not a fan of harrop, having been lucky enough to acquire a prerelease kit, but I was going to address the above thought when I wrote an (overdue) review so I'll keep going because I think it aplies to a lot of non-supercharged M3 owners.

The kit was on the cards for me for almost a year before install during which my lease end was 12 months away, so starting to shop other cars, M4 included. I'm just really glad I stuck with my M3. And the Harrop kit is by far the most compelling reason for me, above the fact it's BMW's last N/A V8 and a potential classic, and a ton of other stuff, coupled of course with the fact the m4 sounds like an old woman.

Perhaps I'll get an M4, but I'll wait for the LCI update when some of the bugs are fixed and I can drive the "finished project" with the most advanced aftermarket mods. But I'm way more into the thought of keeping the car for the long term. Again, mostly because of how the kit fixes the one thing it needs to feel complete.

I've driven VF and ESS kits and was left expecting more evey time, or I would have bought one a year or so ago. This kit is so different for many reasons.

First off the level of customer service is solid. And yes I've been testing the kit, so I've got top notch service and support, from both BBI, Mike and even in person with the Harrop guys themselves, but they are really professional and really committed to the kit and furthering its development, which is exciting in itself given the kit's impressive potential, Overall they really inspired confidence in me (don't think I didn't go back and forth on testing a kit on a leased car.....eeeek).

Secondly, the kit comes in a nice big blue crate, like some industrial size ice chest that you'd expect liquid nitrogen to pour out of and reveal a transplant heart lost in transit, but that didn't happen obviously. The quality is really impressive; the discreet, "sleeper" appearance, the insanely high quality craftsmanship, right down to the ease of install and even the instruction manual and the software/cable. You rarely see it but it's just nice knowing it's there and having the confidence it's really well made.

And thirdly, you pretty much know it's there all the time. That whine may not be appreciated by some, and it's always apparent (I understand a harrop is close to a solution to mute or eliminate the whine for those that don't want it) albeit its barely audible when you're just cruising with windows up. I really love and miss the intake growl of the stock engine, but the whine may be one of the main reasons for buying this kit over centris though. The whine was an unexpected surprise for me and I soon started really appreciating it. It"s just pretty damn intoxicating and eggs you on to keep accelerating as the pitch increases, and you can hear the thing working for you. It definitely turns heads and I think people either are just curious or because you can hear it from far and they think it's a siren Perhaps my insurance should go down now people can hear me coming.

And then there's the power or, more importantly, the torque. It's very obvious. It's everywhere from the slightest tap of the throttle all the way into the 8,000's and the power delivery is OEM smooth. It's kind of fixed the S65's main performance weakness and main gripe of most E9x fans. It's the same engine and feels the same, there's just much more of what you want, when you want it and it's completely unique in that respect. It doesn't have the top end power of centris but I rarely go there anyway so can't focus on peak numbers when comparing this kit to others. The reason it trumps centris for me is obvious when you drive it. It's just so much fun and you don't have to rev the crap out of it any more. It really makes the M3 the perfect daily driver for me now it has that torque and the car feels more complete. And with Stage 2 on its way, and other new features under testing such as muffling the whine for those that don't want it, this kit should keep improving.

So I'm a bit of a fan boy and I love the kit. However, its not the only solid supercharger option, and it's not the cheapest, (although I'd argue it's the best value from a performance standpoint for my needs), you should probably upgrade your rod bearings, and you may need a set of wider rear tyres. You get what you pay for though

Gas mileage and grip have not been an issue, albeit I'm running 295 Advan R's in the rear and BBI tweaked my KW sleevovers to improve rake etc and markedly improved grip and handling. I also mostly set my EDC to comfort mode and noticed an improvement. The rear end bites under all but the hardest throttle application so you can definitely melt some tires if you want but generally it really pulls from a stand still and the initial acceleration in first (I'm 6 speed) slams you in you in your seat. Haven't driven in the wet yet so that will be "experimental".

Reliability has been good during testing. No overheating at all and I've pushed it hard in the recent heat, and tracked cars have held up well too. I had a small software/hardware issue unique to my car, which was promptly diagnosed and resolved, and the latest release version tune has been working flawlessly. I did ironically also just have the idle valve die on me, a common problem and unrelated to the blower, however it's worth mentioning while BMW loved the kit they didn't love being asked to remove it to warranty the valve so they sold me one for $350 for BBI to install when they upgrade my rod bearings next week. I hope to dynojet it shortly after that and share the graphs. Given the long testing period, and commitment it took to perfect this kit, the OEM+ quality, solid reliability on all kits thus far even under heavy track use, and Harrop's proven reputation, I'd expect the kit to perform reliably.

Finally, I changed my AE Performance muffler (sounds great and currently for sale) back to stock but kept my Challenge Sport x pipe. Coupled with the blower the exhaust just got too loud for me and I wanted to balance it more with the whine. It worked and the car sounds nuts. The whine just sounds so good

I'd give it 8/10. I'll ding it cos some won't like the whine, it's a little bit spendy, and stage 2 and a few other cool features aren't complete yet. Otherwise, like I said, this a really good reason to keep your e9x. Oh and I think I need to upgrade my OEM brakes
Nice,
Someone just told me that this was Dyno'd once or twice. Maybe im wrong !
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #1001
Limey
EXC MIII
Limey's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
625
Posts

Drives: on the wrong side
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 949

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMG View Post
Nice,
Someone just told me that this was Dyno'd once or twice. Maybe im wrong !
Yes but with an earlier tune. I've yet to dyno w the final tune and there's a notable difference.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP: Harrop | Remus | Vorsteiner | Arkym | BMW Performance | UUC | Recaro etc

Check out my build: Limey's E90 | Daily Driver Evolved

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #1002
IMG
IMG's Avatar
United_States
452
Rep
7,442
Posts

Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Location

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
Yes but with an earlier tune. I've yet to dyno w the final tune and there's a notable difference.
Thats awesome man, Look forward to seeing the new numbers
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #1003
L4ces
Major
L4ces's Avatar
United_States
316
Rep
1,487
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ - NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMG View Post
Thats awesome man, Look forward to seeing the new numbers
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #1004
Alex07M3
Banned
72
Rep
2,690
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMG View Post
Thats awesome man, Look forward to seeing the new numbers
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #1005
RCKehrer
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: E92 Frozen Silver
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

I can tell you the new tune is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #1006
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...
Meff's Avatar
22
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: Erratically
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cascadia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCKehrer View Post
I can tell you the new tune is fantastic.
Tell us more...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:13 AM   #1007
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
BPMSport's Avatar
United_States
2557
Rep
7,299
Posts


Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [3.75]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCKehrer View Post
I can tell you the new tune is fantastic.
Thank you

This is the feedback I've heard from everyone who received the last update. There were quite a few changes to torque management and throttle calculations which really brought the kit together nicely. There will be more to come, but the calibration is near perfect and will stand-up to any use. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 05:04 AM   #1008
Beedub
Major General
United Kingdom
326
Rep
5,215
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

utterly jealous of you guys with this kit.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #1009
wrecklessfool
First Lieutenant
21
Rep
386
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chesapeake, VA

iTrader: (14)

Any more updates on this kit? Where could you tap in to get a boost reading for a gauge? Would it also be possible to tap in somewhere to get both PRE and POST-cooler charge temps? Thinking the post-cooler one will be tricky judging by the area between the ITBs and the charge cooler fins. Any feedback is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #1010
DaveDee
When there's no problem more power is the solution
DaveDee's Avatar
Australia
193
Rep
1,267
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 Edition M-DCT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gold Coast Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecklessfool View Post
Any more updates on this kit? Where could you tap in to get a boost reading for a gauge? Would it also be possible to tap in somewhere to get both PRE and POST-cooler charge temps? Thinking the post-cooler one will be tricky judging by the area between the ITBs and the charge cooler fins. Any feedback is appreciated
YES to all
There is a 1/8th NPT bung at the rear left hand side of the SC. I have boost connected there. I use an Awron gauge for mine and have an intake temperature tapped into the air intake duct and it also displays the IAT from the OE sensor so you see the differential on the gauge. For me I'm happy with ambient intake vs inter-cooled, its really only a point of reference

The kit is at Release to Market stage and available for sale. I have the kit on my car and it's sensational. It has been a long time under test by a responsible ISO 9001 certified Vendor.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #1011
wrecklessfool
First Lieutenant
21
Rep
386
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chesapeake, VA

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
YES to all
There is a 1/8th NPT bung at the rear left hand side of the SC. I have boost connected there. I use an Awron gauge for mine and have an intake temperature tapped into the air intake duct and it also displays the IAT from the OE sensor so you see the differential on the gauge. For me I'm happy with ambient intake vs inter-cooled, its really only a point of reference

The kit is at Release to Market stage and available for sale. I have the kit on my car and it's sensational. It has been a long time under test by a responsible ISO 9001 certified Vendor.
Dave,

Thanks for the response. For the Awron gauge in particular, are there any additional sensors you need to buy to monitor all available parameters? For instance, would someone need to buy a boost sensor, transmission temp sensor, etc or are all of the additional sensors included with the Awron Kompressor 1 gauge? While we're on the subject, do you feel the Kompressor 2 is worth the additional $600? The sole reason I would want it would be to monitor oil pressure so the added cost seems silly…but then so does just mounting one gauge somewhere in the car for just a couple hundred less most likely.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #1012
Limey
EXC MIII
Limey's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
625
Posts

Drives: on the wrong side
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 949

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
First dyno w latest tune. SAE.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP: Harrop | Remus | Vorsteiner | Arkym | BMW Performance | UUC | Recaro etc

Check out my build: Limey's E90 | Daily Driver Evolved


Last edited by Limey; 12-12-2014 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: SAE.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST