BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

12-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #23
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Replaced my battery maybe a year ago and coded it in. Two weeks ago I got battery discharge warning and my car lost power. AAA jumped me and I dropped it off at the dealer. "Nothing wrong but we coded your battery again for you". A week later and same discharge issue. This time my dealer is replacing my alternator as they say it's dying. Seems like turning the car off for a couple minutes and restarting the alternator kicks in again until it dies because in my case 179,000. Just food for thought OP.
Do you know how they diagnosed it to be alternator if the alternator would work fine when you start the car (You can see that when Battery voltage goes up after starting the car)?
I have no voltage display on my cluster. They did not go in detail how they diagnosed it. My question was why wasn't this detected in my first visit? I feel like they threw a part at it to be honest. I had my belts done with it anyways so there's that done at least too. It seems in both my road side issues that turning the car off......letting it go to sleep while I smoke a cigarette for 10 minutes with my fob out of range let me start up without issue. The alternator just turns off or fails to charge. I did not notice any noise like the clutch on it was going so I'm just guessing at this point. No other signs leading up to my 2 road side failures. At least the alternator on my Toyota Tundra made it to 780,000. My bummer made it to 172,000