BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Carbon fiber roof?

Hey guys,

Going to ask a weird question and ask for your advice. I am a happy owner of E92 M3 and just hit 84k miles today. Bought it used at 60k miles for a very good price. I love it in every single way (i wanted space grey and no EDC) however its perfect everywhere expect one thing - the roof. It came with sun roof and i always wanted the CF roof, so every time i see one i want to cry lol. What i am debating is whether or not i should keep putting money into it or sell and get E92 M3 with CF roof. Currently, i changed rod bearings and throttle actuators about 4k miles ago, have done some other small mods (catless x-pipe, MS pulley, SS brake lines and some other small exterior upgrades). Probably i put 5k total into the maintenance in the last 2 years. Next in maintenance plans are full DCT service and suspension refresh. My main problem is that i dont know if CF roof conversion is worth the price, by my estimates it should come at about 4-5k. On the other hand, i can get a lower miles 2011-2013 E92 M3 that already has the CF roof. So, i cannot decide what should i do.... I plan to keep the E92 M3 for as long as i can buy parts and get manual F80 for daily at some point, but still keep the E92. Please help lol
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Hey guys,

Going to ask a weird question and ask for your advice. I am a happy owner of E92 M3 and just hit 84k miles today. Bought it used at 60k miles for a very good price. I love it in every single way (i wanted space grey and no EDC) however its perfect everywhere expect one thing - the roof. It came with sun roof and i always wanted the CF roof, so every time i see one i want to cry lol. What i am debating is whether or not i should keep putting money into it or sell and get E92 M3 with CF roof. Currently, i changed rod bearings and throttle actuators about 4k miles ago, have done some other small mods (catless x-pipe, MS pulley, SS brake lines and some other small exterior upgrades). Probably i put 5k total into the maintenance in the last 2 years. Next in maintenance plans are full DCT service and suspension refresh. My main problem is that i dont know if CF roof conversion is worth the price, by my estimates it should come at about 4-5k. On the other hand, i can get a lower miles 2011-2013 E92 M3 that already has the CF roof. So, i cannot decide what should i do.... I plan to keep the E92 M3 for as long as i can buy parts and get manual F80 for daily at some point, but still keep the E92. Please help lol
Random thought.. since it's purely cosmetic you have time on your side, you could maybe keep an eye out for a salvage or wrecked E92 with CF and try to get the roof cheap, then find someone to install it...and maybe you can get a few dollars for the old one?

I wish I knew how to buy salvage parts, but I've been trying to do the same as another person on here, who posted a few weeks ago how they got salvage F80 comp seats to replace an E90 OEM setup.... I think he paid $500 for all 4 seats and installed himself, which is like 5K less than retail.

Maybe someone on here can explain how to buy salvage parts.. maybe this is a dumb idea. idk.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

I bought a 2011 E92 M3 new in 2011, I chose sunroof. Because I love having some fresh air come in to the car.

I recently bought another 2011 E92 M3, this time with CF roof, I knew this time I wanted CF roof. With that said, I really miss having the sunroof "cracked" to allow fresh air in. Now I am always having the side windows cracked slightly, which brings a lot of noise in to the car making music listening or talking on the phone less than ideal.

That's the most specific example of something that I think about often.

BUT one thing that I do feel is that this generation M3 is mean to have a CF roof. It's nice the new F8x M3s can have them in both sedan or coupe
      12-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Hey guys,

I've seen CF roof for $400 (used). There's a place by me in NJ that always has a few. Call them and ask. https://www.google.com/search?q=mpar...;client=safari

As far as install, any competent body shop can install it. Expect at least $1500 if not more to remove the old and install new.

You can also reach out to ACM in NJ as well. They'll do the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Sounds like you already know THIS car and have invested a decent amount into it financially. Do you have an emotional investment?

I say if it's a forever car, make it the way you want it with a personal history that can't be replaced. Otherwise, chunk it to the masses and find a replacement with a new experience already meeting your criteria.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 10:51 PM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Doesn't IND do this?
      12-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
It'll be a pain in the ass to use a salvaged one for the replacement. Removing the K2 epoxy that bonds that sucker on there is next to impossible (source I have a cf roof in my backyard) I tried to switch out my damaged panel, couldn't be done without a LOT of work. I managed to refinish mine instead.. a few pics

Sorry pics out of order the first one is the refinish
How did that carbon fiber roof get so bad?

I have seen people who let their M3s sit outside in the sun 365 days a year for the last 10 years of production that brand new with little work other than a wash/wax more specifically look nothing like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
It'll be a pain in the ass to use a salvaged one for the replacement. Removing the K2 epoxy that bonds that sucker on there is next to impossible (source I have a cf roof in my backyard) I tried to switch out my damaged panel, couldn't be done without a LOT of work. I managed to refinish mine instead.. a few pics

Sorry pics out of order the first one is the refinish
How did that carbon fiber roof get so bad?

I have seen people who let their M3s sit outside in the sun 365 days a year for the last 10 years of production that brand new with little work other than a wash/wax more specifically look nothing like that.
Those pics are after I already started peeling it.. started with the funny colored patch. I purchased the car like that. Clear coat was totally rotten across the top, I put it down to living outside it's whole life and being neglected.. but I rescued it!
      12-15-2018, 12:34 AM   #9
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

I have a CF roof, but I love sunroofs. If I were you, I'd just get a gloss black wrap on your current roof and call it good. It sounds like it's something you are longing for, but trust me, CF roof is no big deal.

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2018, 12:39 AM   #10
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Sounds like you already know THIS car and have invested a decent amount into it financially. Do you have an emotional investment?

I say if it's a forever car, make it the way you want it with a personal history that can't be replaced. Otherwise, chunk it to the masses and find a replacement with a new experience already meeting your criteria.
You get close to my point. I will definitely not be getting a salvaged roof, ideally i will get a brand new panel from BMW which is about 2 grand and however much to install it. I have put some money into it and i dont know if i will lose financially if i sell it and then get a one with CF roof and do all that maintenance all over again. I think i will keep it for very long time as a toy at some point or may be more track dedicated. Meanwhile try to get F80 manual for daily but we will see.
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      12-15-2018, 12:39 AM   #11
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast View Post
I have a CF roof, but I love sunroofs. If I were you, I'd just get a gloss black wrap on your current roof and call it good. It sounds like it's something you are longing for, but trust me, CF roof is no big deal.
CF roof looks so damn good though It makes the car extra speecial, thatswhy i am losing my sleep over it
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 12:50 AM   #12
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

You have space gray. Cosmetically there isn't much difference. Keep your sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:29 AM   #13
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Who knows what the next thing is gonna be, maybe coper roofs so you may end up changing your roof every 5 years or so
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #14
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Quote:
CF roof looks so damn good though It makes the car extra speecial, thatswhy i am losing my sleep over it
It would bother me too, but I never would have gotten a sunroof car in the first place

Seems to me only you can quantify how much it means to you.
Appreciate 1
Transfer5250.00
      12-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #15
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
I don't get the obsession with the CF roof. I purposely avoided the CF roof because of the overblown hype. I'm also the kind of person that uses the sunroof every chance I get.

Even if I loved the CF roof, if I was buying a e92 M3 and it had a carbon roof but the VIN and/or window sticker said "sunroof" I'd run from that car as far as I could. It might as well have a salvage title. I'm not going to buy a sports car that I would drive aggressively and hope that "Joe Shitshow's Auto Body and Muffler" didn't do a crap job putting the new roof on. Not only are you risking it being done nowhere near as good as the factory, you're also undoubtedly going to weaken the entire car as the roof plays a large roll in the car's stability and body strength.

You're not going to be able to just put the CF a panel on, you'll need to cut your entire roof off at the pillars and weld a new roof on that accepts/has the CF panel. In the unfortunate event i roll the car I wouldn't want the last 3 seconds of my life to be regretting gluing a roof that doesn't belong there onto my car.

Also- there is an s65 Facebook group where someone posted a link to someone selling the entire CF roof for an e92 M3. The comments were pretty good and the consensus was this would be an extremely difficult job, potentially pose huge safety issues, and significantly devalue the car.

Anywho... back to my original statement... the CF roofs are hyped up and the obsession over them is goofy as shit. I realize that's not a popular opinion around here, but I'm a jerk. :shrug:
      12-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #16
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
I don't get the obsession with the CF roof. I purposely avoided the CF roof because of the overblown hype. I'm also the kind of person that uses the sunroof every chance I get.

Anywho... back to my original statement... the CF roofs are hyped up and the obsession over them is goofy as shit. I realize that's not a popular opinion around here, but I'm a jerk. :shrug:
You're not a jerk and I agree with everything you wrote.

I think a lot of options are so over sensationalized its insane.

My E90 has a sunroof and I use it all the time. I'll gladly take the extra weight for the open air benefit.

Talking about reducing weight and center of gravity on a car nearly tipping 4,000 pounds with two passengers is really a joke. CF roof, slicktop, or sunroof it really doesn't matter. You will not notice any difference...stop kidding yourselves. These are GT cars first that can be optimized for the track, not the other way around.
------------------------------
Regaring the original post-

I would 100% not recommend switching cars for the CF roof. Having done the RBs and TAs you're so far ahead of the game.

If the look is important to you I would suggest wrapping the roof or painting it black. Both will cost significantly less.

You'd have near the look you want on an already sorted car.

Just my .02
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50
      12-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Thanks everyone for the input! I guess i will leave it as is and may be wrap it gloss black, or get a lower mileage E92 M3 with CF roof!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #18
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP

I'd sell it and buy one with CF roof the only problem is that yours will be tough to sell due to the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #19
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

Quote:

Even if I loved the CF roof, if I was buying a e92 M3 and it had a carbon roof but the VIN and/or window sticker said "sunroof" I'd run from that car as far as I could. It might as well have a salvage title. I'm not going to buy a sports car that I would drive aggressively and hope that "Joe Shitshow's Auto Body and Muffler" didn't do a crap job putting the new roof on. Not only are you risking it being done nowhere near as good as the factory, you're also undoubtedly going to weaken the entire car as the roof plays a large roll in the car's stability and body strength.

You're not going to be able to just put the CF a panel on, you'll need to cut your entire roof off at the pillars and weld a new roof on that accepts/has the CF panel. In the unfortunate event i roll the car I wouldn't want the last 3 seconds of my life to be regretting gluing a roof that doesn't belong there onto my car.

Also- there is an s65 Facebook group where someone posted a link to someone selling the entire CF roof for an e92 M3. The comments were pretty good and the consensus was this would be an extremely difficult job, potentially pose huge safety issues, and significantly devalue the car.

haha... are you a lawyer or an actor? a lot of drama here; talking roll over accidents (don't be offended) lol... i got an e90 but I do not think cf roof is over hyped. It's clear to me when you look at these cars you can clearly see that the cf adds another layer of appeal. When I was looking again recently for an e9x and was considering e92s as well I would automatically skip cars with sunroofs. Not because I don't like sunroofs but because other than the engine, I think the cf is the most special part of that car. why? because no other mass produced car that I am aware of at the time had cf roof. Even now, it's not something you see much.

Now whether to change the roof is a diff issue. But countless people have done it (even on e90s, which I sometimes even think of doing lol). But roof on cars in general are changed all the time (just the other day I was in a local body shop and a couple cars were there w some tree accident and needed new roofs). Ultimately the decision is yours OP. But if you've spent that much on the car and you're posting on this issue, I'd pull the trigger on a cf roof and find the best shop you can to do the job and enjoy the new look. 2cents added.
      12-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #20
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
Quote:

haha... are you a lawyer or an actor? a lot of drama here; talking roll over accidents (don't be offended) lol... i got an e90 but I do not think cf roof is over hyped. It's clear to me when you look at these cars you can clearly see that the cf adds another layer of appeal. When I was looking again recently for an e9x and was considering e92s as well I would automatically skip cars with sunroofs. Not because I don't like sunroofs but because other than the engine, I think the cf is the most special part of that car. why? because no other mass produced car that I am aware of at the time had cf roof. Even now, it's not something you see much.

Now whether to change the roof is a diff issue. But countless people have done it (even on e90s, which I sometimes even think of doing lol). But roof on cars in general are changed all the time (just the other day I was in a local body shop and a couple cars were there w some tree accident and needed new roofs). Ultimately the decision is yours OP. But if you've spent that much on the car and you're posting on this issue, I'd pull the trigger on a cf roof and find the best shop you can to do the job and enjoy the new look. 2cents added.
Thanks! I was looking at DTM Fiberwerkz over in California. They sell replica of E92 M3 carbon fiber roof but i believe its full Carbon Fiber and the whole roof is 7lbs while sunroof alone is 15lbs. Its also priced reasonably at 1200$. I am just going back and forth if i should keep putting money into the car or not. About to do full DCT service and get all 4 corners of brakes and some other stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #21
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! I was looking at DTM Fiberwerkz over in California. They sell replica of E92 M3 carbon fiber roof but i believe its full Carbon Fiber and the whole roof is 7lbs while sunroof alone is 15lbs. Its also priced reasonably at 1200$. I am just going back and forth if i should keep putting money into the car or not. About to do full DCT service and get all 4 corners of brakes and some other stuff.
How long have you had the car? I think had you not done and continue to do all those preventative maintenance I'd say sell and buy another one. Typically the more you care for a car the more you "care" about it lol.
      12-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #22
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How long have you had the car? I think had you not done and continue to do all those preventative maintenance I'd say sell and buy another one. Typically the more you care for a car the more you "care" about it lol.
About 2 and a half years. The car is also almost paid off. It was a 3 year loan. I did all kinds of preventative maintenance and now the last things left are brakes and DCT.
Appreciate 0