BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

08-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #67
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

I just made it back from the best track outing I have ever had.

Let me provide some background first.

Last year, I went to WGI for Nationals. I finished 7th out of 11. Greg Smith won with a 2:00.xx. My best time of the weekend was on Sunday morning with a 2:04.xx which featured a 3-2 money shift that spun the engine to 10,200 rpm (redline is 8200). Fortunately, the engine survived, but I figured that the mis-shift cost me at least a second. Even without that, I probably would have only finished 1 spot better. In any event, I fell in love with the track and have been thinking about how to get back ever since. I saw that Chin had a VIR / WGI / Barber series of events in July over 8 days which I thought would have been pretty neat. Unfortunately, the dates were to close to Hallett and NASA takes precedence over everything else for me. However, the seed had been planted and I started looking for similar plans in August.

I saw that NASA Mid Atlantic had an event on 8/19-20. Then I started looking for WGI dates and saw that Group 52 was there on 8/23-24. Group 52 is freakin awesome. You have to have someone that is already a member sponsor you and I was fortunate to know 2 guys that were willing to back me up. They basically run a 2 day open track day with all advanced drivers and some incredibly fast cars. I got lapped by some Formula Mazda cars. As the dates approached, I saw that VIR had an HPDE event run by Track Daze on 8/17-18. I was able to convince my friend Will Chung (2017 TTB NASA Eastern States Champion) to sign up for the 4 days as well as an arrive and drive Kart enduro at VIR on Saturday night.

While at VIR, I stayed in the rooms above the paddock garages so my view was of the front straight.

So let's talk about track daze. They run a great event. It is a typical HPDE format. I think the sessions are like 30 minutes long. I ran in Advanced (pass anywhere with a point). Will ran in Instructor (pass anywhere, no point required). IMSA was going to be out the next weekend, so there were 4-5 IMSA cars running in Instructor group. A lambo popped up in my group a couple of times and man that car was fast. First session out, I ran a 2:10 on RE71r's. I ran 2 more sessions and I managed to eke out a 2:09. Track record for TT3 is a 2:00.xx, so I needed to go a lot faster. It was very hot at the track so I didn't run a 4th session. Friday morning, I put on my scrub A7's and ran 2:04.xx in morning and a 2:05 in 3rd session (hot!!!). I felt pretty good about times,

VIR is awesome. The main place to find time is in the climbing esses and southbend. Good drivers can stay flat out of the esses until south bend and then a slight tap and still carry a lot of speed through south bend. I never could stay flat but I got faster and faster all weekend. I never did figure out oak tree, I got squiggly in hog pen once. Before I went, a guy sent me a PPT with links to crash videos from almost very turn, including climbing esses and hog pen. The videos actually helped because I knew what to do in both of those places to avoid a bad off.

NASA MA does the Saturday warm up different that TX. They don't record times, so you don't have grid positions for first timed session. I put on sticker A7's for the first timed session, but I gridded too far back and couldn't get a clean lap. I put the scrubs back on for 2nd timed session and got a 2:04 which put me in front of the two cars that I couldn't get by in the morning.

Sunday morning, the 1 HC A7's were back on and I ran a 2:02.44. My goal for the weekend was 2:03 or better, so I was pretty pleased. I can still go faster if I nail the esses and then clean up my corner exits (i.e. get to throttle quicker). Cooler conditions would also help!

There was only one other car in my class, but I won both days and was 5th or 6th overall if you include the TT1, TT2, and TTU cars.

Will and I finished 11 out of 13 in the Kart Enduro. Everyone out there could drive, so it came down to weight and differences (perhaps) in the Karts themselves. We still had a blast.

A side note on track karma. I always bring some spare parts with me. One common item I bring is a vanos return line. On two occasions, a fellow E46 M3 tracker has had one of these fail and I was able to sell them my spare. In one instance, I even installed it for the guy and then went out and set my best time ever at TWS. For VIR and WGI, I brought a few more things including a brake master cylinder and an old set of front rotors. Will and I are sitting in the paddock and this guy comes by on Saturday and asks if either of us happens to have an extra brake master cylinder - well yes sir, I do. The guy doesn't miss a session and ends up winning his class on Sunday! Similarly, Will had a cracked front rotor and was able to use my spares Sunday morning to finish 2nd in TT4. I figure those good deeds were worth a second or two!

With two days to spare between VIR and WGI, I decided to stay in Williamsport PA on Monday night and watch some of the LLWS. My wife booked me a room at a hotel with a spot to park the truck and trailer and I was able to take the bus to and from the field. They have two stadiums for the kids - Volunteer and Lamade. I was able to watch games at both fields. I also got to watch the North Carolina team practice. I also met the wife of the coach of the Texas team and got a hat from her. The fields are immaculate and the kids are so good. It was really fun to watch. Bucket list item checked off.

Then on to WGI. When I got there Tuesday night, it was pouring, but by Wednesday morning the skies had cleared and the morning temps were in the high 50's.

My goal for the WGI was a 2:02 or better. I ran the first two sessions on RE71r's and managed a 2:06 in the second session. I put on the sticker R7's for the 3rd session and ran a 2:02.66. I ran two more sessions but couldn't improve on it. Thursday morning, I decided to only run two session. I ran the first session on the R7's and managed a 2:02.8 which included a pass in 8 so it might have been my best lap. I put on the 2 HC A7's, but they wouldn't "wake up" and I don't think I did better than 2:05. I felt like I did better through the esses, but I still lift a bit between 2 and 3. I was slower through 10 but faster in 11 than my Nationals time. The car will definitely do a 2:00 or better.

I had to leave early Thursday to get home before the weather got too bad at home.

I put about 3400 miles on the Truck and trailer and they performed flawlessly. As did track car, other than slightly loose battery connection.

Special thanks to my wife for letting me make this trip.

In hindsight, 4 days at 1 track is enough as long as one of the events is a NASA event. I enjoy HPDE's to some extent but only for learning and tuning, but TT is where my passion lies. I have a hard time just pounding out laps.

Will and I will be looking for a Road Atlanta trip early next year or possibly later in 2018 (but not in Summer). We nearly died in the heat.

VIR

WGI

Appreciate 2
roastbeef11571.50
dbyrd304.00
      08-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #68
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamba002 View Post
Drove from Houston to California to attend two tracks... This one is Streets of Willow. First time out sooo a lot of cars was passing me but still had fun and brought home the car in one piece.

i thought it was kinda shitty that the pit worker blended you right as a car was going to be arriving to apex at turn 1.

streets is cool, you just get a ton of rocks on the track in the middle chicane where shit cars that can't make the transition cut over the dirt and throw rocks on the track. its like every time someone rolls over it, its another hand full of pebbles on the track. then its like marbles and is dangerous.

i really enjoy big willow... it just sucks that the runoff is so brutal. surface is pretty jacked up. i always refer to it as dive bar parking lot quality. it is really hard on the tires.
      08-26-2017, 08:29 PM   #69
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post

Last year, I went to WGI for Nationals. I finished 7th out of 11. Greg Smith won with a 2:00.xx. My best time of the weekend was on Sunday morning with a 2:04.xx which featured a 3-2 money shift that spun the engine to 10,200 rpm (redline is 8200). Fortunately, the engine survived, but I figured that the mis-shift cost me at least a second. Even without that, I probably would have only finished 1 spot better. In any event, I fell in love with the track and have been thinking about how to get back ever since. I saw that Chin had a VIR / WGI / Barber series of events in July over 8 days which I thought would have been pretty neat. Unfortunately, the dates were to close to Hallett and NASA takes precedence over everything else for me. However, the seed had been planted and I started looking for similar plans in August.

I saw that NASA Mid Atlantic had an event on 8/19-20. Then I started looking for WGI dates and saw that Group 52 was there on 8/23-24. Group 52 is freakin awesome. You have to have someone that is already a member sponsor you and I was fortunate to know 2 guys that were willing to back me up. They basically run a 2 day open track day with all advanced drivers and some incredibly fast cars. I got lapped by some Formula Mazda cars. As the dates approached, I saw that VIR had an HPDE event run by Track Daze on 8/17-18. I was able to convince my friend Will Chung (2017 TTB NASA Eastern States Champion) to sign up for the 4 days as well as an arrive and drive Kart enduro at VIR on Saturday night.

While at VIR, I stayed in the rooms above the paddock garages so my view was of the front straight.

So let's talk about track daze. They run a great event. It is a typical HPDE format. I think the sessions are like 30 minutes long. I ran in Advanced (pass anywhere with a point). Will ran in Instructor (pass anywhere, no point required). IMSA was going to be out the next weekend, so there were 4-5 IMSA cars running in Instructor group. A lambo popped up in my group a couple of times and man that car was fast. First session out, I ran a 2:10 on RE71r's. I ran 2 more sessions and I managed to eke out a 2:09. Track record for TT3 is a 2:00.xx, so I needed to go a lot faster. It was very hot at the track so I didn't run a 4th session. Friday morning, I put on my scrub A7's and ran 2:04.xx in morning and a 2:05 in 3rd session (hot!!!). I felt pretty good about times,

VIR is awesome. The main place to find time is in the climbing esses and southbend. Good drivers can stay flat out of the esses until south bend and then a slight tap and still carry a lot of speed through south bend. I never could stay flat but I got faster and faster all weekend. I never did figure out oak tree, I got squiggly in hog pen once. Before I went, a guy sent me a PPT with links to crash videos from almost very turn, including climbing esses and hog pen. The videos actually helped because I knew what to do in both of those places to avoid a bad off.

NASA MA does the Saturday warm up different that TX. They don't record times, so you don't have grid positions for first timed session. I put on sticker A7's for the first timed session, but I gridded too far back and couldn't get a clean lap. I put the scrubs back on for 2nd timed session and got a 2:04 which put me in front of the two cars that I couldn't get by in the morning.

Sunday morning, the 1 HC A7's were back on and I ran a 2:02.44. My goal for the weekend was 2:03 or better, so I was pretty pleased. I can still go faster if I nail the esses and then clean up my corner exits (i.e. get to throttle quicker). Cooler conditions would also help!

There was only one other car in my class, but I won both days and was 5th or 6th overall if you include the TT1, TT2, and TTU cars.

Will and I finished 11 out of 13 in the Kart Enduro. Everyone out there could drive, so it came down to weight and differences (perhaps) in the Karts themselves. We still had a blast.

A side note on track karma. I always bring some spare parts with me. One common item I bring is a vanos return line. On two occasions, a fellow E46 M3 tracker has had one of these fail and I was able to sell them my spare. In one instance, I even installed it for the guy and then went out and set my best time ever at TWS. For VIR and WGI, I brought a few more things including a brake master cylinder and an old set of front rotors. Will and I are sitting in the paddock and this guy comes by on Saturday and asks if either of us happens to have an extra brake master cylinder - well yes sir, I do. The guy doesn't miss a session and ends up winning his class on Sunday! Similarly, Will had a cracked front rotor and was able to use my spares Sunday morning to finish 2nd in TT4. I figure those good deeds were worth a second or two!

With two days to spare between VIR and WGI, I decided to stay in Williamsport PA on Monday night and watch some of the LLWS. My wife booked me a room at a hotel with a spot to park the truck and trailer and I was able to take the bus to and from the field. They have two stadiums for the kids - Volunteer and Lamade. I was able to watch games at both fields. I also got to watch the North Carolina team practice. I also met the wife of the coach of the Texas team and got a hat from her. The fields are immaculate and the kids are so good. It was really fun to watch. Bucket list item checked off.

Then on to WGI. When I got there Tuesday night, it was pouring, but by Wednesday morning the skies had cleared and the morning temps were in the high 50's.

My goal for the WGI was a 2:02 or better. I ran the first two sessions on RE71r's and managed a 2:06 in the second session. I put on the sticker R7's for the 3rd session and ran a 2:02.66. I ran two more sessions but couldn't improve on it. Thursday morning, I decided to only run two session. I ran the first session on the R7's and managed a 2:02.8 which included a pass in 8 so it might have been my best lap. I put on the 2 HC A7's, but they wouldn't "wake up" and I don't think I did better than 2:05. I felt like I did better through the esses, but I still lift a bit between 2 and 3. I was slower through 10 but faster in 11 than my Nationals time. The car will definitely do a 2:00 or better.

I had to leave early Thursday to get home before the weather got too bad at home.

I put about 3400 miles on the Truck and trailer and they performed flawlessly. As did track car, other than slightly loose battery connection.

In hindsight, 4 days at 1 track is enough as long as one of the events is a NASA event. I enjoy HPDE's to some extent but only for learning and tuning, but TT is where my passion lies. I have a hard time just pounding out laps.

Will and I will be looking for a Road Atlanta trip early next year or possibly later in 2018 (but not in Summer). We nearly died in the heat.
some of the corners and transitions almost look like they are sped up... looks like you have a ton of grip! what does your car weigh?
      08-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #70
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
Quote:

some of the corners and transitions almost look like they are sped up... looks like you have a ton of grip! what does your car weigh?
3000 pounds with me. The car is hooked up.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 12:56 AM   #71
chamba002
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 2009, e90 335i, FZJ80

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i thought it was kinda shitty that the pit worker blended you right as a car was going to be arriving to apex at turn 1.

streets is cool, you just get a ton of rocks on the track in the middle chicane where shit cars that can't make the transition cut over the dirt and throw rocks on the track. its like every time someone rolls over it, its another hand full of pebbles on the track. then its like marbles and is dangerous.

i really enjoy big willow... it just sucks that the runoff is so brutal. surface is pretty jacked up. i always refer to it as dive bar parking lot quality. it is really hard on the tires.
Yeah kinda a bummer but I made sure not to get in the way, kinda. I really had a great time going to California and fortunate I was able to take my car out there. This will be something Ill try to do at least once a year.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      08-30-2017, 02:06 AM   #72
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamba002 View Post
Yeah kinda a bummer but I made sure not to get in the way, kinda. I really had a great time going to California and fortunate I was able to take my car out there. This will be something Ill try to do at least once a year.
make the trip to laguna seca next time. it is unreal.
      08-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #73
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 white, long list

ThunderMoose
Nice report. Are you going to Florida this year for the Championships?
Just a clarification to VIR. VIR full course TT3 track record is at 1:59.88. That track record was made in 2014 with a Vette with the old TT3 8:1 hp/weight ratio so those cars were at least 1 sec faster than today's 10:1 cars.
I did a 2:00.89 with my TT3 car couple month ago (video is on this thread).
But that's no excuse, I will try to beat that record.
See you on the track.
Thanks
      08-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #74
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob66 View Post
ThunderMoose
Nice report. Are you going to Florida this year for the Championships?
Just a clarification to VIR. VIR full course TT3 track record is at 1:59.88. That track record was made in 2014 with a Vette with the old TT3 8:1 hp/weight ratio so those cars were at least 1 sec faster than today's 10:1 cars.
I did a 2:00.89 with my TT3 car couple month ago (video is on this thread).
But that's no excuse, I will try to beat that record.
See you on the track.
Thanks
Thanks for the clarification. I only went back a few years. I saw your time and one from Wonger.

I won't make Nationals this year due to some work stuff.

I watched your video a bunch. You were faster in all the corners than me as well as straights. I should be faster in the corners than I am with my weight. I probably need a real diffuser.

I think you can beat the record. I am pretty sure my car can do sub 2:00's on stickers and cooler conditions and with a bigger ball sack.

Good luck at Nationals! I will definitely be following your exploits.

My e-mail is denis dot clavette at comcast dot net. Keep my posted on any NASA events you do in Mid South or Southeast. I'd like to chase you!. You should go to NOLA in December. That track record is pretty soft.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #75
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

speed ventures / bimmer challenge
e92 m3, gts aero, jrz rs pro, chassis diet, re71r (275x4)

Buttonwillow CXW13 - 1:56.5
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #76
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I only went back a few years. I saw your time and one from Wonger.

I won't make Nationals this year due to some work stuff.

I watched your video a bunch. You were faster in all the corners than me as well as straights. I should be faster in the corners than I am with my weight. I probably need a real diffuser.

I think you can beat the record. I am pretty sure my car can do sub 2:00's on stickers and cooler conditions and with a bigger ball sack.

Good luck at Nationals! I will definitely be following your exploits.

My e-mail is denis dot clavette at comcast dot net. Keep my posted on any NASA events you do in Mid South or Southeast. I'd like to chase you!. You should go to NOLA in December. That track record is pretty soft.
Doesn't look like I will go to the Nationals. My car is completely apart and it's a 12h ride for me and I'd have to go at least once before the race as I don't know that track.
I will go to VIR NASA MA 'Octoberfast', at least that's the plan.
See you soon on the track.
      09-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #77
VrooM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

this is from a track day way back in 2013, one of the only ones i have on video with the m3 (have some more with a track prepped integra), thought i'd share it with you guys. this is mission raceway in british columbia, near vancouver. it's a short stop and go track, and very hard on the brakes. the car was stock here except for ferodo ds2500 pads and make shift front brake cooling ducts.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #78
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

VIR NASA Octoberfast in TT3 2:01.70

After a 3 months break finally back in my car. We made many changes to the car (mostly weight distribution and aero) and we decided to test the car at VIR. We used old Hoosier A7 (+18 cycles), no grip but fun!
We did this session in the early evening, so track was not in good grip condition.
With new tires on a good day in the morning we can beat the 2 min mark!

Track: VIR full course
Best lap: 2:01.70
Timing: NASA transponder & Harry's
Tires: Hoosier A7 295/30 front ; 315/30 rear
Brakes: Stoptech: St60 front, Cobalt XR1, rear OEM with XR2 pads
Weight: 3505 lbs (with driver and gas)
Aero: Lots of it!
Enjoy!
      11-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #79
peter de la mare
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

This is my buddy driving my car on a track day at the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

As usual the Porsche drivers don’t think they have to move out of the way so Jon had to push them around the track. It makes for entertaining viewing, apart from the yellow flag period that lasts from halfway through Kesselchen to almost Hohe Acht.

The car has standard engine intake and exhaust, and unbeknown at this time the map was actually reducing power slightly rather than increasing it. Tyres (AD08r) were struggling with the 125f track temps.

Appreciate 1
redpriest2145.50
      11-06-2017, 01:24 AM   #80
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter de la mare View Post

As usual the Porsche drivers don’t think they have to move out of the way so Jon had to push them around the track. It makes for entertaining viewing, apart from the yellow flag period that lasts from halfway through Kesselchen to almost Hohe Acht.

The car has standard engine intake and exhaust, and unbeknown at this time the map was actually reducing power slightly rather than increasing it. Tyres (AD08r) were struggling with the 125f track temps.

That was entertaining. He is a good driver to keep the M3 in the game. I assume the M3 would have no chance to keep up if he had been driving the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #81
peter de la mare
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
That was entertaining. He is a good driver to keep the M3 in the game. I assume the M3 would have no chance to keep up if he had been driving the Porsche.
The Porsches weren't being driven as well as they could be, but a well-configured and driven E92 will be able to keep a GT3 honest, the GT3 RS models are something else however.

My car has Intrax coilovers and AP BBK front/rear. It also now has 40+ hp and wider stickier tyres it didn't have at the time of the video. Next year's visits to the 'ring will be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #82
lemanszcpm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Buttonwillow 13CW 1:51.9

Appreciate 1
      12-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #83
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Track: Buttonwillow #13CW
Lap Time: 1:53:601
Car: E90M
Mods: KW CS, Oem brakes with gloc R12/10, safety shit, 61" gt250, gt4 splitter, pirelli scrubs
Notes: first time on track since august and with added aero so had the jitters. Next time hope to drop another second or two. Buddy ran out of gas on the fastest part of the track so def lost some time there having to go around him. Oh wells. Still had a great time with friends.

12-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #84
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Mods: KW CS, Oem brakes with gloc R12/10, safety shit, 61" gt250, gt4 splitter, pirelli scrubs
Notes: first time on track since august and with added aero so had the jitters. Next time hope to drop another second or two. Buddy ran out of gas on the fastest part of the track so def lost some time there having to go around him. Oh wells. Still had a great time with friends.

I like the GT Sport overlay. I haven't been to buttonwillow in a long time.. I need to get back into this!
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:53 PM   #85
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post

I like the GT Sport overlay. I haven't been to buttonwillow in a long time.. I need to get back into this!
Thanks!
      01-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #86
72dan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT coupe white/beige

Garage List
Willow Springs E92

E92 M3, adjustable sway bars, Forgeline 19 x 9.5" F 19 x 10.5" rear 265/30/19 Advan AD08R Front, 275/35/19 rear, Stoptech Trophy brakes, Pagid RS-29 pads. 1' 38" on Big Willow
      01-18-2018, 02:11 AM   #87
72dan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT coupe white/beige

Garage List
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter de la mare View Post

Boosted Boris aka Misha did a run on the Nurburgring in that car

Misha rides in the fastest M3’s on the Nurburgring and has videos on YouTube
      01-18-2018, 07:22 AM   #88
peter de la mare
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72dan View Post
Boosted Boris aka Misha did a run on the Nurburgring in that car

Misha rides in the fastest M3’s on the Nurburgring and has videos on YouTube
Thanks, but this isn't accurate. This black M3 (P1 VLN) is mine. Misha (in Boosted Boris character) was in Ben's red M3 (M3 RNG) and also the Schirmer M3 of Klaus (DAU XX31).

The Schirmer XX31 car is now owned by Robert Mitchell of Apex Núrburg, and allegedly is the 6:59 BTG car, though two identical M3s wore the XX31 licence plate. Misha works for Apex.

I've met Misha a couple of times and appeared in his vlog, briefly, as has my car, but not on a lap.
Appreciate 0