BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M

E93 Vert. Wont start, no lights on, not battery ???????

I bought my vert about a month or 2 ago and it sometimes is completely dead and it doesn't seem to be a battery issue. Is what it happens is the car is completely dead and no lights come on not even the cluster. After a little bit of time it will start back up and have no issues or anything not even a CEL as if nothing is wrong. It runs fine and drives fine. A jump does not help at all and will make no difference if tried. I'm not sure what the issue is, key fob battery is new also. It has no symptoms prior to this happening either. It doesn't crank or anything obviously as no power is there at all.

Also this was originally a florida car if that helps.

Car is a 09 M3 Vert. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did search for an issue but I can't seem to find much.

UPDATE- There was a quite a bit of water under the battery. I cleaned it out cleaned and wirebrushed the power wire, nut and stud thats under the battery. I have power at the jump point and the battery has good power.

UPDATE- Battery has 12.6 volts and jumpoints have 12.6 volts. Looked at fusebox and didnt really see any issues or corrosion.

STILL SOMEWHAT LOST, is the EDC a possible issue?

Last edited by crawlin; 06-29-2017 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
SEMOM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 SG

If you have access to a voltage meter, the next time it happens you should start at the battery and work your way out to see where the voltage drops out. I know some users have talked about a bad connection of the main power wire at the fuse box behind the glove compartment which causes intermittent power outages. It could also be something as simple as a loose ground. It's tough to diagnose while it's working unfortunately unless you see something physically melted at the fuse block or another electrical connection.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMOM3 View Post
If you have access to a voltage meter, the next time it happens you should start at the battery and work your way out to see where the voltage drops out. I know some users have talked about a bad connection of the main power wire at the fuse box behind the glove compartment which causes intermittent power outages. It could also be something as simple as a loose ground. It's tough to diagnose while it's working unfortunately unless you see something physically melted at the fuse block or another electrical connection.

It actually will not start at all at the moment and has been like this a full day. So not sure what it is?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
You mention there was water under the battery. Is there water under the driver or passenger carpet? Since you have a vert it is possible that there is water damage causing this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 11:36 PM   #5
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
You mention there was water under the battery. Is there water under the driver or passenger carpet? Since you have a vert it is possible that there is water damage causing this issue.
No I found the leak, it's just a small spot where the molding has risen a little bit, so its not a flood car or anything like that if thats what you mean. I took a look at the EDC and it seems fine and wasn't wet so I'm still unsure of the issue. There's really no corrosion on any of the upper wires near the battery.

Any idea's?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 01:56 AM   #6
GTxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin View Post
No I found the leak, it's just a small spot where the molding has risen a little bit, so its not a flood car or anything like that if thats what you mean. I took a look at the EDC and it seems fine and wasn't wet so I'm still unsure of the issue. There's really no corrosion on any of the upper wires near the battery.

Any idea's?
Bro I'm almost willing to bet it's your battery. I had the same problem and I thought it was water in there and it was actually battery fluid. It had no smell and no corrosion at the top of the battery. Try a new battery and code it just make sure you get the right battery.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTxx View Post
Bro I'm almost willing to bet it's your battery. I had the same problem and I thought it was water in there and it was actually battery fluid. It had no smell and no corrosion at the top of the battery. Try a new battery and code it just make sure you get the right battery.
It was water and I found out where the water was coming in and will fix that easily but the battery has power and a test light shows power on main positive wire and it even has power at jack points.

UPDATE- Battery has 12.6 volts and jumpoints have 12.6 volts. Looked at fusebox and didnt really see any issues or corrosion.

STILL SOMEWHAT LOST, is the EDC a possible issue? It was near where the leak came in but wasnt actually wet anywhere when I took everything out.

Last edited by crawlin; 06-29-2017 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

Have you tried the ol' jiggle the fuse box trick? Seen a lot of posts where that fixed the issue for some. If it does, and your car was made during a certain window, there is a fix that the dealer will do for free if you take it in.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #9
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
Have you tried the ol' jiggle the fuse box trick? Seen a lot of posts where that fixed the issue for some. If it does, and your car was made during a certain window, there is a fix that the dealer will do for free if you take it in.
I didn't know of that but just tried and it wont jiggle at all but I tried rocking it a little and tapped on it and nothing happened at all so that is a no go i think.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #10
Rainer M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, 2018 X5 35D

I would still think that is is the fuse box in the clove compartment.

I got a recall on mine 2011.75 from BMW because of this issue.

I will have mine done hopefully next week.

I did t have problems with it but you never know if it becomes an issue down the road.

I would think it is he fuse box Since your battery has charge but your car is dead.

Did you try and wickle the plus cable that goes into the fuse box? That's where it does loose connection.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 05:46 PM   #11
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer M View Post
I would still think that is is the fuse box in the clove compartment.

I got a recall on mine 2011.75 from BMW because of this issue.

I will have mine done hopefully next week.

I did t have problems with it but you never know if it becomes an issue down the road.

I would think it is he fuse box Since your battery has charge but your car is dead.

Did you try and wickle the plus cable that goes into the fuse box? That's where it does loose connection.
I looked at glovebox and nothing like I said but maybe Today my car started again and I'm not how or why but My thought is something dried out and it finally got a connection. I think it's highly likely that it wont start again in the very near future, I think it's something small and it has to do with the small leaking area which I'm going to fix but im assuming this issue isnt going away.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #12
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Have you had the codes pulled with BMW software? An issue like this should store soft codes that could help lead you to the problem.
Appreciate 0