BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-17-2023, 07:46 PM   #1
snowty80
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

TLDR- Finding out you're on a raft out here with all the options... Not sure where to go based on my spot. Moneys not great 😅
A. Diagnosis assistance
B. Black Friday Deals for N54- Upgrade plan/options

Most recent maintenance from BMW-

No oil leaks, pan/head gaskets have been done. No walnut blasting that I know of.

Water pump done

Fuel Sending Unit done

Drive belts and tensioners replaced -

A/C, EVAP. And Blower.

Vacuum supply's to both wastewater -

Oil Pressure Sensor-

A. Diagnosis assistance
Finally got rid of the `08 328i, and got into a 2009 -E93.

Found one that is completely stock, with just over 100k miles. BMW maintained. Ive had it for about 2 months now, and after driving the car for a while, I'm happy with my decision.

There's a few things I wanted to bring up, some common that I've found on here already. While some of them are like needle in a haystack with the shear amount of posts...but God, some are so dated, I don't know what has changed in the past 3-10 years on these issues. Hoping someone can point me in the 2023 version of the right direction.

When I purchased the car, didn't have a wastegate rattle, but it has developed it for a 1/4 second on charge down 3rd-2nd. And turning over or off you sometimes get a little patter.

I attempted to tight the wastegate actuator rod, and I didn't have a wrench to fit, and could find one at the time so I ended up making one. Worked okay, but was only able to get a half turn (granted, I didn't move anything, just stuffed my hand down to play with it).

I didn't seem notice a difference. It doesn't seem to get getting worse, and doesn't seem to effect power. Maybe a little more frequent?

Regardless, I ordered a set of wrenches that will be able to grab it better, and I'm hoping to try and get one full then out of it before doing much else to the turbos.
I'm not familiar enough with the car to know if it's the front or rear turbo from sitting in the car. Have a hard time catching it cause it's intermittent when I'm standing by it...

Have seen numerous fixes on it, but realistically the car has 100k miles so I intended them to be 🤷🏼 and planned to replace in the next year or so. And they may have been changed at

My questions are:

What life expectancy, realistically am I looking at here for the turbos? Should I plan to replace them in the next 5-10k. I am not as familiar with the turbo N54. And I'm trying to find out how to plan this, so I still have a car at the end of it.

My 328 lasted up to 220k with your common E90 issues. and I beat the shit out of it. Honestly. I just got rid of it, so I don't know how long it lasted, but I did all the maintenance on it from 70k.

Half-Check engine at roughly 6500rpm.

This has happened twice. Both times when I decided to get on it, without going into DTC/TC OFF.

After shutting the car off, resets and back to normal. This is why the tuner is #1 on my list below. I don't have a way to really check for BMW fault codes, and id really like to be able to monitor what the F is going on, before I decide to put any money into it.

This hasn't happened since then, and I always let the oil warm up to around 200° F before going past 3-4000k rpm.

Previous owner brought the car in back in the beginning of the year, and the records show a 0030FF being thrown alongside a few others. Dealer replicated leak code and Half/ engine light at 3500. Vacuum line was cracked to the wastegate. They were replaced and the code didn't come back as far as the documents states (who truly knows....)

Advise on this?

I have a slight squeak in the driver's side front tire at low speeds. Its intermittent, doesn't always happen. Brakes are new, sensors were replaced at 70k. Seems to be affected by turning the wheel one way or the other, and I believe it's to the left. (I always forget..)

I'm thinking bearings? I jacked it up briefly and spun the wheel and checked for play, not much play in the wheel itself and when I spun it, I did hear it but couldn't pin it to anything.

Time for new tires so maybe... Tires?

B.
Upgrade plan for the end of the year: (Black Friday deals anyone knows about?)

Overview:
1. JB4 vs. MHD -

2. Intake - DCI vs. CA

3. Downpipes -

I do my own work. Want to actually get this car to a point where I can feel more confident in the build.

1. Tuner:JB4 vs. MHD

I emailed MHD, and asked if they were doing a Black Friday deal, and they said yes. I'm just waiting for them to release what it will be. Because I am trying to save as much as possible cracking this thing open trying to prepare for anything.

I've seen people go back and forth on this a million times and I'm leaning towards the MHD - wireless route, because I do love to functionality with the other softwares. But if I can find a JB4 in the meantime for super cheap, this would be perfect for me to dive into tuning for the first time.

The main thing i want to do is be able to read any current and stored BMW codes, as well as just be able to have gauges to explain more about the current running conditions.

Finding any deals on new JB4, is looking like $400, and MHD before their sale, I found chip+licence for $300.

2. Intake - DC vs. CI.
At pretty much the same time as the Tuner, I'd like to get an upgraded intake to increase some of that air going to the wastegates and see what that will do for it.

Cones are cheap, was going to grab ARM/VRSF, whenever I have a decent monitoring system.

As my priority right now is to sort out if I have a little problem or BIG problems. I've had time to read what some people have said about Cold Air intakes.

I'm open to suggestions on both sides. But my main focus is efficiency and increasing lifespan of the car in general..

3. Downpipes/Charge pipe-

I don't plan to really add any major tunes to the car until. I get to these. I want to know if it makes sense to buy a cheaper cattless set of downpipes, and keep my OEMs for when I need emissions. (I'm in Arizona, so it's every 2 years).

If it's an easy swap back and forth on this, cattless is the way I plan to run.

If not, what cheaper options do they have on this? I'm finding the upgraded catted pipes are super pricey.

Potential Upgrades after these include:
Turbo replacement-
Oil Catch can
Maybe a BOV

Anyway,
I may try to upload a couple videos to try and show the rattle I'm experiencing. And as far as trying to replicate the Half engine myself, I have only gotten on it with DTC mode on, and I have hit 7k rpm since without issue.

Thank you in advance for my help here. I'm going back to Google now that I've spent over an hour writing this. Haha

Happy to be joining the 335i community!

🫡
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 09:18 PM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Congrats on your new car. You have posted in the General BMW news forum. You should post here to get the best information for the car you have https://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!