BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

EXXEL Distributions

05-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Entrepreneurs In Cars
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 Dinan Stage 2 M5

Question about US cars in Canada and Canadian vs US software

My e93 is still under warranty. Heres the thing though... I just had a software (dct) transmission failure. The transmission was skipping gears 2/4/6 and only using 1/3/5/7. A big warning came up on the Nav screen to bring the car in.

I stopped by the dealer and he told me because I haven't had the US car switched over the Canadian software they would need to do that first before they worked on the car because all they have in Canada is Canadian software. And the Canadian software can only be installed once they swap the instrumentation cluster. Apparently the Canadian software is rejected unless the cluster is made Canadian too.

The SA tells me Canadian software is in fact different from US due to emissions etc.

Total cost to change cluster and software to Canadian ... about $3,000. So to get the car inspected here and have warranty work done on stuff that ties into software its a $3k surcharge.

Now the car was shut off, and locked up, and reentered and started and the transmission is working fine. No issues.

Is this SA feeding me BS, will another dealer handle this differently or should I just take the car down to Buffalo? Its due for a brake fluid change and micro filter service in 3 weeks anyways and that would be covered under scheduled maintenance so I could get them to check all the software updates and see what the transmission issue is. Just to be clear its not mechanical, its def a software issue.

thx
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
airwave808
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Not knowing how this works for BMW entirely, I totally think he feeding you bs. Why don't you call a different dealership and ask over the phone. Did you import your car from US or bought a US car here in Canada? For now, I think you should take it down to Buffalo and get it checked to make sure everything is okay and then find a dealership in GTA that will work on it and honor the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Entrepreneurs In Cars
Private First Class
Rep

I imported it, and did all the steps needed to get it plated, and licensed here. Except switch the instrument cluster. Didn't see the point, it already has km in the inner dial.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Sounds like a load of bullshit. Find a different dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

It's total bullshit.

Keep in mind that Mike Benvo can code your car whether it's Canadian or U.S. (or European).

Just like tuner's can tune your car regardless of it's country.

Tell us the name of this dealer please.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Puckmaster
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: White 2008 E92 M3 Coupe DCT

Garage List
That's crap! My US car has had the latest update installed at the dealership in Edmonton, and I still have my US cluster. They are screwing with you. What a bunch of assholes.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

I have seen many US imported M3 for sale even at BMW dealerships and as far as I know/see, none of them changed the cluster. I really think they are trying to steal more money from your pocket. Go try another dealer.
      05-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
Entrepreneurs In Cars
Private First Class
Rep

The first dealer was Town & Country in Markham. I also claled Maranello in Woodbridge and they gave me the same story. Anyone know of a dealer in the GTA that wont try to f me over?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
2K7
///M-thusiast
Rep
Drives: M3, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigsCanadianCousin View Post
The first dealer was Town & Country in Markham. I also claled Maranello in Woodbridge and they gave me the same story. Anyone know of a dealer in the GTA that wont try to f me over?
Total BS!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigsCanadianCousin View Post
I only had terrible experience with Town and Country. Once they damaged my friend's car in a way that only they could (such damage would require removing front seat, which they did according to work description) and refused to admit it.

Try Downtown BMW or Parkview - both updated my firmware and performed warranty work on 3 US bimmers without any "US car" BS. They do have to install US-specific software, but they have everything needed for that. Also, you can drive to Towne BMW in Buffalo - they do everything warranty and maintenance related. But with them make sure you remind them about each thing they need to do - they forgot to replace lightbulb and air filter, and replaced 3 year old wipers only after I reminded then.
Appreciate 0