BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #45
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I had the 335i FBO GIAC stg2..was about to do full M3 suspension, coilovers and LSD but ended up crashing it..tragically I never got the suspension done so I can only speak to the power and performance aspect of both cars.

I am enjoyin the M3 but if I had a magic wand I would DEF get back into MY 335..the car was a beast after I did my power mods and suspect it would have been infintely better once I had done the suspension

Nothing beats 17 psi of boost thru 2 turbos..
It's great if you don't track. Tell us how you like a 335i when the car overheats after 2 laps. I'm all for turbo power if BMW could do it reliably. A stock "performance" car that overheats after 2 laps on a track is not.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #46
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I guess we have a different understanding of the word "never", huh?

But to address your points... The new M5 turns heads, breaks records, and has lots of positive reviews about it. In fact, the vast majority of the reviewers are *impressed* with its capabilities, while at the same time complaining about relative lack of character of its engine compared to the previous one.

I think the N54 has been forgotten even faster than the S65, since it has been replaced by the N55. Anyway, I have driven a modified 335i for 2 years before I bought the M3 and mechanical issues notwithstanding, I liked the twin turbo engine very much... but I didn't love it. The V8 is a culmination of the old school M engine philosophy and IMO will become a classic (I could be wrong of course and frankly don't care).

If the upcoming M3 is like a scaled down M5, then I'll have to pass.
I fully respect your opinion... I am just curious what will happen with this new M3 and if it creates a lot of converts to FI? FI seems to have a bad reputation on the M3 forum minus the guys who supercharge their cars...I hope BMW does this new M3 right so that everyone all around is satisfied and everyone can unanimously agree that it is the ultimate BMW. I mean I never heard anyone say that a 911 Turbo is lacking character... so Porsche must have done something right, I just hope BMW does so as well.
      01-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #47
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I am just curious what will happen with this new M3 and if it creates a lot of converts to FI?
Converts? From what?

After this series there won't be a normally aspirated M car for sale as far as the eye can see. So anybody wanting a new car will either swallow the pill, or buy something else. Personally, I have my eyes on the base 991 (non-S).

Quote:
FI seems to have a bad reputation on the M3 forum minus the guys who supercharge their cars...I hope BMW does this new M3 right so that everyone all around is satisfied and everyone can unanimously agree that it is the ultimate BMW.
Nothing is unanimous in this world.

My 335i was an excellent car, if you were to discount:
- the open diff
- the mechanical issues (wastegate issues, SW issues etc.)
- the runflats
- the dangerously high oil temps in spirited driving

It certainly seems that these issues are fixable, so BMW has the chance to make it right. But if all they do is fix these issues, they will just end up with an excellent car - but an amazing car, like the current M3? I am not so sure (and would love to be proven wrong).

But anyway, that discussion belongs in the future, some 2-3 years from now. In the meantime, and truly the bottom line for me, I enjoy my M3 much more than I did the 335i.

Quote:
I mean I never heard anyone say that a 911 Turbo is lacking character...
Compared to the normally aspirated versions like the GT3, it does - and reviewers have been commenting on this for a long time.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #48
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Converts? From what?

After this series there won't be a normally aspirated M car for sale as far as the eye can see. So anybody wanting a new car will either swallow the pill, or buy something else. Personally, I have my eyes on the base 991 (non-S).

Nothing is unanimous in this world.

My 335i was an excellent car, if you were to discount:
- the open diff
- the mechanical issues (wastegate issues, SW issues etc.)
- the runflats
- the dangerously high oil temps in spirited driving

It certainly seems that these issues are fixable, so BMW has the chance to make it right. But if all they do is fix these issues, they will just end up with an excellent car - but an amazing car, like the current M3? I am not so sure (and would love to be proven wrong).

But anyway, that discussion belongs in the future, some 2-3 years from now. In the meantime, and truly the bottom line for me, I enjoy my M3 much more than I did the 335i.

Compared to the normally aspirated versions like the GT3, it does - and reviewers have been commenting on this for a long time.
I am having a slight bit of trouble understanding here. By your tone; some of your comments seem a little close minded... Are you saying that a proper, pure race car cannot be turbocharged? (You are excluding a lot of cars if that's the case) That's pretty much like saying a proper race car can't have a DCT... which the current M3 does as well as the 458. I think everything just has to be done right; a Ferrari F40 is about as proper of a race car as one can imagine (it doesn't even have traction control; and Clarkson said it is his favorite Ferrari ever and nothing feels as raw as one). Guess what? That's a turbod car as well as the new Mclaren MP12, as well as a Veyron, as well as a GTR (all of which are fantastic cars). If you wanna go back further in time; check out the bmw 2002t, which is about as pure BMW as you can get and to this day is one of the most demanded and collected cars in the company's history. I think you and a lot of others need to embrace certain things and be a little bit more open.
      01-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #49
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
It's great if you don't track. Tell us how you like a 335i when the car overheats after 2 laps. I'm all for turbo power if BMW could do it reliably. A stock "performance" car that overheats after 2 laps on a track is not.
Agreed I never said it was track ready car w/o mods..it would presume upgrading radiators.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #50
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Different strokes for different folks.

I had a 335i and loved it until drove a V8 M3. End of story.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #51
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
By your tone; some of your comments seem a little close minded...
Well, I have been all the way there and back as it were, since I have owned both a 335i and an M3. Anybody obviously can have their own opinions, but at least mine are reinforced by virtue of ownership and direct experience.

I am surprised you think this makes me more close minded than you.

And the 335i was not my first turbocharged car...

Quote:
Are you saying that a proper, pure race car cannot be turbocharged? (You are excluding a lot of cars if that's the case) That's pretty much like saying a proper race car can't have a DCT... which the current M3 does as well as the 458. I think everything just has to be done right; a Ferrari F40 is about as proper of a race car as one can imagine (it doesn't even have traction control; and Clarkson said it is his favorite Ferrari ever and nothing feels as raw as one). Guess what? That's a turbod car as well as the new Mclaren MP12, as well as a Veyron, as well as a GTR (all of which are fantastic cars).
Where to begin...

First of all, we aren't talking race cars in this thread - it's the 335i compared to the M3. Second of all, the ones in your example aren't race cars. Third of all, Clarkson is buffoon. (I like him, but only because he makes me laugh).

I have nothing against any of these cars - except of course that I wouldn't drive any one of them daily and that I cannot afford any of them (except perhaps the GT-R). I drove the GT-R and came away impressed but not in love - I thought its engine was very much like a beefed up N54 in terms of delivery & response and the whole experience came across to me as somehow artificial. Not for me, under any circumstances.

If I could, I would take the 458 over all the other cars you've mentioned without any hesitation. While I would absolutely love to drive all of them as an experience, there is only one I would take home...

Little surprise if you think about it, since the M3 is the most Ferrari-like of all the sports sedans out there (no disrespect intended for Ferrari).

Quote:
If you wanna go back further in time; check out the bmw 2002t, which is about as pure BMW as you can get and to this day is one of the most demanded and collected cars in the company's history. I think you and a lot of others need to embrace certain things and be a little bit more open.
Reality check - the 2002 Turbo is sought after simply because its rarity, it was produced in extremely small numbers. Not because the way it drives, which by all accounts is pretty terrible.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #52
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where to begin...

First of all, we aren't talking race cars in this thread - it's the 335i compared to the M3. Second of all, the ones in your example aren't race cars. Third of all, Clarkson is buffoon. (I like him, but only because he makes me laugh).

I have nothing against any of these cars - except of course that I wouldn't drive any one of them daily and that I cannot afford any of them (except perhaps the GT-R). I drove the GT-R and came away impressed but not in love - I thought its engine was very much like a beefed up N54 in terms of delivery & response and the whole experience came across to me as somehow artificial. Not for me, under any circumstances.

If I could, I would take the 458 over all the other cars you've mentioned without any hesitation. While I would absolutely love to drive all of them as an experience, there is only one I would take home...

Little surprise if you think about it, since the M3 is the most Ferrari-like of all the sports sedans out there (no disrespect intended for Ferrari).
A couple things to mention here;

1. We all know the M3 is a better overall car than the 335i. I am not comparing a 335i to an M3; I am referring to a properly built turbod M3 (which may be the case in the next generation). I am mentioning this because I feel like FI gets a bad rep here amongst M3 owners; when some of the greatest cars on Earth are FI. I am just curious as to whether perceptions will change when the new one comes out and is done right...

2. I would take a Ferrari 458 over any car that I've mentioned as well. It is a car built with passion / pedigree like no other... but we can't compare the technology or capabilities of that car to an M3 (first off the Ferrari is 3-4 x more expensive), that is straight up foolish. Their 4.5 L V8 is direct injected, revvs to 9K, is mated to the worlds quickest DCT and makes 570 HP, more HP per liter than almost any engine in the world. Not only that but for what it's worth it's relatively torquey because of DI and 80% of that TQ is available at 3250 RPM. It's performance figures are even more astonishing given that it can run an 11.2@125 MPH 1/4 mile but then again that's why it's one of the best cars in the world and why it costs so much. In that sense even making the comparison is slightly foolish.

3. Consider what I said about the Ferrari which only weighs about 3200 lbs... Now consider the fact that some Japanese company that makes passenger cars (Nissan); creates out of next to nowhere an AWD car that weighs a tank heavy 3900 lbs with a turbo-6 and beats almost any car on the road for 90K (including the beloved 458); then when a few simple mods come into play; the comparison is over (let's remember we are talking about a 3900 LB tank here). There is something special to be said about that... We can talk all day about soul, feel and passion... but numbers, performance figures, value, and an overall package don't lie. I think BMW can do this as well in the next M3 (maybe not at that level but close) and that is nothing to be arguing about.
      01-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #53
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nissan (...) creates out of next to nowhere an AWD car that weighs a tank heavy 3900 lbs with a turbo-6 and beats almost any car on the road for 90K (including the beloved 458)
I haven't seen a single report where the GT-R generated better acceleration, handling or track times than the 458. Perhaps in the snow?

Quote:
There is something special to be said about that... We can talk all day about soul, feel and passion... but numbers, performance figures, value, and an overall package don't lie.
Performance numbers don't lie, but they don't tell the whole story. I have the means, but won't buy one - as simple as that. In this context, none of the performance numbers are worth didly squat, and soul, character and the other "intangibles" can lead people to purchase "lesser performing cars".

Porsche, Ferrari and others (BMW to some extent) build cars for maximum enjoyment, whereas Nissan built a car to post amazing performance numbers. None of these expensive cars are bought purely for transportation, they are bought for the express purpose of entertaining their owners. While there are strong entertainment capabilities in the pure performance numbers a car like the GT-R generates, the way it goes about the bussiness of generating those numbers is somewhat dispassionate and artificial. Driver enjoyment takes a backseat to ruthless efficiency. So it turns out that many more people with the means are moved by very different factors and even at a significant cost disadvantage, more people buy slower Porsches than storming Nissans.

Quote:
I think BMW can do this as well in the next M3 (maybe not at that level but close)
And I hope BMW continues to build M3's whose mission in life is to make you happy, rather than chase ever elusive acceleration numbers...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #54
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't seen a single report where the GT-R generated better acceleration, handling or track times than the 458. Perhaps in the snow?

Performance numbers don't lie, but they don't tell the whole story. I have the means, but won't buy one - as simple as that. In this context, none of the performance numbers are worth didly squat, and soul, character and the other "intangibles" can lead people to purchase "lesser performing cars".

Porsche, Ferrari and others (BMW to some extent) build cars for maximum enjoyment, whereas Nissan built a car to post amazing performance numbers. None of these expensive cars are bought purely for transportation, they are bought for the express purpose of entertaining their owners. While there are strong entertainment capabilities in the pure performance numbers a car like the GT-R generates, the way it goes about the bussiness of generating those numbers is somewhat dispassionate and artificial. Driver enjoyment takes a backseat to ruthless efficiency. So it turns out that many more people with the means are moved by very different factors and even at a significant cost disadvantage, more people buy slower Porsches than storming Nissans.

And I hope BMW continues to build M3's whose mission in life is to make you happy, rather than chase ever elusive acceleration numbers...

I guess the Nurgburgring and top gear track lap times don't count at all? I guess dragging doesn't either? Let's not even get into modified cars for an extra $2000 bucks.

The second paragraph and third paragraphs are ones that we'll leave solely at preference. I guess the ultimate 911 ever made (the 911 Gt2 Rs) doesn't count in your opinion either.

That's it for me... you have your opinions, I have mine. We'll leave it at that.
      01-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #55
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess the Nurgburgring and top gear track lap times don't count at all? I guess dragging doesn't either?
Dragging is absolutely my last important performance metrics. Track times are all very good, but here is the rub: on track, you are the limitation, not the car. I have been passed by all manner of cars on track (including a pickup truck in the rain), and have passed various exotica, to draw any other conclusion.

The other problem with driving fast street cars on track is their lack of safety features and what can happen to you if you crash. My M3 can reach over 150mph+ at Summit Point, a track I frequently visit, and should something unexpected happen at that speed I will most likely die.

Having a street car that can reach 160 or 170 mph on the straights doesn't interest me, unless it has a rollcage in it.

Interesting you've mentioned Nurburgring times - please study my signature pic and tell me if I could have had a GT-R in that picture, should I have purchased one.

Quote:
Let's not even get into modified cars for an extra $2000 bucks
I fully understand the performance modification potential of turbo cars. My chipped 335i was very fast in a straight line, but everything else fell behind (suspension, traction, brakes, reliability, etc). So while $500 will get you eye opening acceleration in a 335i, you will need to spend countless of thousands to bring the rest of the car up to spec.

I would be absolutely delighted if I could get another 50HP in the M3 for a thousand bucks, but somehow it is not a priority.

Quote:
I guess the ultimate 911 ever made (the 911 Gt2 Rs) doesn't count in your opinion either.
People in the know seem to think the ultimate 911 ever made is the GT3 RS 4.0. You see, everything is open to interpretation...

If I could get any track friendly car, it would certainly not be the GT2 RS which requires much bigger balls than I have, but rather the simple, garden variety GT3 or GT3 RS.

Quote:
That's it for me... you have your opinions, I have mine. We'll leave it at that.
Yep, that's exactly it. Please understand I didn't go to the N54 forums touting the superiority of the M3 even though I could present compelling arguments. I didn't do it because I don't necessarily want to rub my values in other people's faces.

Something compelled you to come and post here - do you think you have achieved your goal?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #56
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Something compelled you to come and post here - do you think you have achieved your goal?
Nope, I was merely looking for different viewpoints and asked a hypothetical question...

I'll be back in 2014 , Good Day sir!
      01-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #57
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Nope, I was merely looking for different viewpoints and asked a hypothetical question...

I'll be back in 2014 , Good Day sir!
Since you're looking for different viewpoints, I will add one last thing I neglected to mention.

One of the key reasons I'm getting the M3 is because of the engine. It's an engineering marvel to me, an amazingly capable NA engine. The other main reason is the outstanding chassis which is much better than that of the 335i. I've driven this car flat out, whipped it around an autocross, and driven it softly. This car is just so versatile and every mile feels better in it.

So while I am pretty certain that the future more powerful and efficient M3 will have a lot of people trading their E9X for it (I won't but I'll be trading my 335i for it), I doubt very much this generation M3 will be forgotten "very, very soon".

Repeating what I said in another thread, "...the current M3 still ends its time as a benchmark. It's engine is lighter and more efficient than that of the E46 M3. Do people still want the E46 M and older M cars? Hell yes. These cars are special... the E9X is the pinnacle of 25 years of naturally aspirated M3 engines."
      01-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #58
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Since you're looking for different viewpoints, I will add one last thing I neglected to mention.

One of the key reasons I'm getting the M3 is because of the engine. It's an engineering marvel to me, an amazingly capable NA engine. The other main reason is the outstanding chassis which is much better than that of the 335i. I've driven this car flat out, whipped it around an autocross, and driven it softly. This car is just so versatile and every mile feels better in it.

So while I am pretty certain that the future more powerful and efficient M3 will have a lot of people trading their E9X for it (I won't but I'll be trading my 335i for it), I doubt very much this generation M3 will be forgotten "very, very soon".

Repeating what I said in another thread, "...the current M3 still ends its time as a benchmark. It's engine is lighter and more efficient than that of the E46 M3. Do people still want the E46 M and older M cars? Hell yes. These cars are special... the E9X is the pinnacle of 25 years of naturally aspirated M3 engines."
Julie,

Chassis wise; it's not even worth comparing the 335i to an M3. The M3 is better in every regard x 10 in that sense. I am here to discuss the benefits of having an FI motor versus an NA one. I love NA motors and have nothing against them but at the same time BMW does not build one that satisfies me performance wise or TQ wise. Being that my car is my DD, I value TQ very highly and that's not to say the M3 doesn't have TQ it just doesn't deliver it like the N54 does. If it's a GM LS7 or the C63's large V8, then it's a completely different story because both of those cars deliver on both fronts. At the same time, I am sure you can see the disadvantage with having such large motors for daily drive ability (fuel economy and weight issues). I hope that you can see the advantages of a turbod motor on almost all accounts, more TQ, more Power, easier to mod and better fuel efficiency out of smaller and lighter motors. To truly see a proper M car with a turbod motor; go and drive the 1M... I have yet to see someone complain about it. If it's too slow; then tune it for a mere $500 extra.

The reason I said the S65 in the current M3 will be forgotten is for the same reason that the previous inline 6 has nearly been forgotten. The performance standards of that particular car have been out shined by a non-M car that almost everyone drives. No; it's still not an M-Car but if the performance is there in a more fuel efficient, more torquey and more powerful with a simple tune package... then I am not surprised. The only thing the previous I-6 is currently good for is turbocharging as Horse Power freaks has done but the costs in doing that are incredible. My prediction for the V8 sadly to say is the same... it's performance will be soon be beat easily by many turbo'd cars of a lower class. At the point; the only thing left to say is that the engine has soul, sound and certain characteristics... but how much of that will everyone remember compared to performance figures?

How many previous M engines do you remember as striking you as being intensely special? I can only think of the previous six which as I previously stated by todays standards is quite a bit sub par. I remember all of the protests against the V8 when it first came out, all of the discussion about how it is an engine that belongs in American drag cars and how it's not pure enough for an M car. Never in it's history did BMW M have such large motors in such little cars... I am seeing the same thing here in these protests against FI and for the most part it's laughable. Like I said, I'll be back to discuss this in 2014.
      01-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #59
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Julie,

Chassis wise; it's not even worth comparing the 335i to an M3. The M3 is better in every regard x 10 in that sense. I am here to discuss the benefits of having an FI motor versus an NA one. I love NA motors and have nothing against them but at the same time BMW does not build one that satisfies me performance wise or TQ wise. Being that my car is my DD, I value TQ very highly and that's not to say the M3 doesn't have TQ it just doesn't deliver it like the N54 does. If it's a GM LS7 or the C63's large V8, then it's a completely different story because both of those cars deliver on both fronts. At the same time, I am sure you can see the disadvantage with having such large motors for daily drive ability (fuel economy and weight issues). I hope that you can see the advantages of a turbod motor on almost all accounts, more TQ, more Power, easier to mod and better fuel efficiency out of smaller and lighter motors. To truly see a proper M car with a turbod motor; go and drive the 1M... I have yet to see someone complain about it. If it's too slow; then tune it for a mere $500 extra.

The reason I said the S65 in the current M3 will be forgotten is for the same reason that the previous inline 6 has nearly been forgotten. The performance standards of that particular car have been out shined by a non-M car that almost everyone drives. No; it's still not an M-Car but if the performance is there in a more fuel efficient, more torquey and more powerful with a simple tune package... then I am not surprised. The only thing the previous I-6 is currently good for is turbocharging as Horse Power freaks has done but the costs in doing that are incredible. My prediction for the V8 sadly to say is the same... it's performance will be soon be beat easily by many turbo'd cars of a lower class. At the point; the only thing left to say is that the engine has soul, sound and certain characteristics... but how much of that will everyone remember compared to performance figures?

How many previous M engines do you remember as striking you as being intensely special? I can only think of the previous six which as I previously stated by todays standards is quite a bit sub par. I remember all of the protests against the V8 when it first came out, all of the discussion about how it is an engine that belongs in American drag cars and how it's not pure enough for an M car. Never in it's history did BMW M have such large motors in such little cars... I am seeing the same thing here in these protests against FI and for the most part it's laughable. Like I said, I'll be back to discuss this in 2014.
I have a friend who, like you, always prefers the cars with the best numbers. . It's similar to liking red over blue to me - it's a personal preference and the benchmarks for what is best are different.

I love the torque and fuel efficiency of the 335i. I agree that it has its advantages over the M3 as a DD. I recently suggested to a friend who could afford an M3 but clearly was looking more for what the 335i could offer that the 335i was for him.

So I also don't get the hate for FI engines or turbocharging either. . My reason for adding to the discussion is that there are those who will measure the "value" of a car with different goalposts. The current M's engine is superb to me and the overall package of the current M3 will always be special to me. Same thing with the E46 and its outdated engine.

Blue and Red.
      01-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #60
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
I have a friend who, like you, always prefers the cars with the best numbers. . It's similar to liking red over blue to me - it's a personal preference and the benchmarks for what is best are different.

I love the torque and fuel efficiency of the 335i. I agree that it has its advantages over the M3 as a DD. I recently suggested to a friend who could afford an M3 but clearly was looking more for what the 335i could offer that the 335i was for him.

So I also don't get the hate for FI engines or turbocharging either. . My reason for adding to the discussion is that there are those who will measure the "value" of a car with different goalposts. The current M's engine is superb to me and the overall package of the current M3 will always be special to me. Same thing with the E46 and its outdated engine.

Blue and Red.
I fully respect and understand your opinion. Just one last thing that I'd like throw in is that progress has to have an objective measurement. Performance numbers are that objective measurement... feel, soul and character of a car are subjective measurements and it's very difficult to market and sell a car that way to a worldwide audience. Progress is to be expected with each generation as well as over the competition... turboing currently is the only cost effective and realistic option that BMW has without cannibalizing its current brand further and not making mistakes with respect to the competition. BMW couldn't do much else in the next generation... the development of for example a 5L V8 that revvs high would be very difficult, expensive and it could be too heavy for a car of this type. Not only that but at the same time, BMW's sports car would be getting very badly beat by large and heavy family oriented Mercedes sedans... which is in a way unacceptable.

Times change and certain standards are expected... each M3 has been different and each M3 has evolved for the better; I think given the current climate; turboing is the obvious option.
      01-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #61
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:

Times change and certain standards are expected... each M3 has been different and each M3 has evolved for the better; I think given the current climate; turboing is the obvious option.
The only problem I see here is going from 8 cylinders to 6 cylinders, looks like a downgrade for me.

I don't have a problem with turbo, I would be very happy if next M3 is turbo V8.

There is something special about a V8 engine, turbo or not.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #62
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I fully respect and understand your opinion. Just one last thing that I'd like throw in is that progress has to have an objective measurement. Performance numbers are that objective measurement... feel, soul and character of a car are subjective measurements and it's very difficult to market and sell a car that way to a worldwide audience. Progress is to be expected with each generation as well as over the competition... turboing currently is the only cost effective and realistic option that BMW has without cannibalizing its current brand further and not making mistakes with respect to the competition. BMW couldn't do much else in the next generation... the development of for example a 5L V8 that revvs high would be very difficult, expensive and it could be too heavy for a car of this type. Not only that but at the same time, BMW's sports car would be getting very badly beat by large and heavy family oriented Mercedes sedans... which is in a way unacceptable.

I agree that the objective numbers have to keep pace with the competition, or else the market will not pay attention to a car long enough to discover it's feel, soul and character.
      01-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #63
TudorM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 e90 DTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
M3 smokes it in every way.... speed, power, looks, interior ashtray... lol.

The 335i actually can't even beat the E46 M3 on the track... according to, I forgot what source.
I used to own a 335i which I modded the ecu and it was nearly as quick as the e9x m3, I drove it on the track a few times and had a fantastic time. I enjoyed driving the car immensely. The day I traded it for a e92 m3 with DTC, I had a bit of a drive to the show room and was able to give the car one last blast and thought to myself I'm going to miss this car, I loved every single moment driving it.

Now in the m3 for a year or so and I love it even more, it is in a different league to the 335i when you show it corners and the gear change is so quick, however I would still recommend a
335i to anyone. It's a very very capable car.
Appreciate 0