BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

03-20-2014, 01:37 AM   #1
Kunman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

aftermarket steering wheel (momo, nardi, nrg etc)

Anyone's m3 equipped with a aftermarket steering wheel setup?

Momo, Nardi, NRG, etc no bmw performance.

I am thinking of doing away with all the buttons and the dct paddles and just go for a simple 3 spoke racing wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Attached Images

03-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Is there a way to go to a MoMo ect. style wheel and keep the DCT paddles? Sorry to thread jack.
      03-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
Kunman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
wow very nice.

what adapter are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Is there a way to go to a MoMo ect. style wheel and keep the DCT paddles? Sorry to thread jack.
I don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunman View Post
wow very nice.

what adapter are you using?

I don't think so.
momo track/race
      03-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
You'd need to find a way to keep the electrical "guts" from the OEM wheel and attach them to the new wheel.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 01:16 AM   #7
Kunman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
momo track/race
was the installation difficult?? Would you mind giving a short review on the steering wheel and how it affects your driving?? thanks C:
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
was the installation difficult?? Would you mind giving a short review on the steering wheel and how it affects your driving?? thanks C:
install takes maybe 10min at most...removing the oem wheel is the time consuming part if you have never don it... once the oem wheel is removed the race hub/adapter slides over the the colum...if i remember correctly you torque the center main bolt to 46lbs...from there you use the allen screws that are supplied to attach the wheel to the hub/adapter..you just need to make sure you are center so before you tighten down the the center main bolt ...you may need to make minor adjustments to the adapter by rotating 1 or 2 notches to the left or right....

so over all im personally very happy with the wheel...so far the suede on the omp wheel has held up very nice... it grips well with gloves....the main thing you will need to decide is what size wheel works best with you..alot of wheels out there are 330mm-350...now in this case my omp wheel is a little smaller probably close to 300-310..most would say its too small but is a personal choice...also some wheels have a cutout for your thumbs at about 3oclock and 9 oclock position and some are straight with no cutout...most love the look and feel for the cutouts for the thumbs but once again each person is different...overall im very happy with the omp wheel but it might be a little extreme for street use as you will no longer have an airbag and you will have to deal with not having a wheel angel sensor and in that case could eliminate your traction control.... you will need to do a search and look into the wheel angel sensor if you are unsure what im referring to...

the momo adapter was good quality...i decided not to run a omp center cap on my wheel so i painted the inside of the hub black but over all fitment and build quality was good...no i went with the race adapter so did not have to deal with the horn connections so the street version might be a different story

also i have owned a sparco wheel in my e46 and was very happy with it so i recomend sparco as well..not sure if this helped any but best of luck..hope you find one that works for you
      03-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
Kunman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
install takes maybe 10min at most...removing the oem wheel is the time consuming part if you have never don it... once the oem wheel is removed the race hub/adapter slides over the the colum...if i remember correctly you torque the center main bolt to 46lbs...from there you use the allen screws that are supplied to attach the wheel to the hub/adapter..you just need to make sure you are center so before you tighten down the the center main bolt ...you may need to make minor adjustments to the adapter by rotating 1 or 2 notches to the left or right....

so over all im personally very happy with the wheel...so far the suede on the omp wheel has held up very nice... it grips well with gloves....the main thing you will need to decide is what size wheel works best with you..alot of wheels out there are 330mm-350...now in this case my omp wheel is a little smaller probably close to 300-310..most would say its too small but is a personal choice...also some wheels have a cutout for your thumbs at about 3oclock and 9 oclock position and some are straight with no cutout...most love the look and feel for the cutouts for the thumbs but once again each person is different...overall im very happy with the omp wheel but it might be a little extreme for street use as you will no longer have an airbag and you will have to deal with not having a wheel angel sensor and in that case could eliminate your traction control.... you will need to do a search and look into the wheel angel sensor if you are unsure what im referring to...

the momo adapter was good quality...i decided not to run a omp center cap on my wheel so i painted the inside of the hub black but over all fitment and build quality was good...no i went with the race adapter so did not have to deal with the horn connections so the street version might be a different story

also i have owned a sparco wheel in my e46 and was very happy with it so i recomend sparco as well..not sure if this helped any but best of luck..hope you find one that works for you

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks!
no problem...hope it helped a little