BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-27-2020, 09:50 PM   #221
SYDAUSM3E92ZCP
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 E92 ZCP

Danny what dyno was this tested on? Did you have it done independently or was it done by RK tunes?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:02 PM   #222
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Awesome thread and build. Did you ever get it on a dynojet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDAUSM3E92ZCP View Post
Danny what dyno was this tested on? Did you have it done independently or was it done by RK tunes?
The dyno was at RK tunes.

Halfway through the track season I got it dyno'd at an independent dynojet, 465whp STD with a 10:1 AFR and a O2 sensor check engine light.
I bring the E92 and/or CS with me to these events to get a good baseline and the E92 read the typical 12/13 AFR. The CS read 14.7AFR.

In the original dyno the E90 read 12/13 AFR as you would expect, I assume the whp delta is due to o2 sensor

Anyway, sometime this season I'll dynojet it again.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      05-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #223
stosh1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
The dyno was at RK tunes.

Halfway through the track season I got it dyno'd at an independent dynojet, 465whp STD with a 10:1 AFR and a O2 sensor check engine light.
I bring the E92 and/or CS with me to these events to get a good baseline and the E92 read the typical 12/13 AFR. The CS read 14.7AFR.

In the original dyno the E90 read 12/13 AFR as you would expect, I assume the whp delta is due to o2 sensor

Anyway, sometime this season I'll dynojet it again.
...or it could be that Jordan's dyno is a little happy? I've seen/heard of a few guys that dyno'd elsewhere on DJ's and recorded lower numbers. I've seen some pretty wonky torque figures for S54's come off of his dyno too. SAE is typically about 2.6% lower (77* correction factor vs. 60*), so that would make it around 453 HP...still crazy power! Get that O2 changed and see if it picks up any power!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #224
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh1 View Post
...or it could be that Jordan's dyno is a little happy? I've seen/heard of a few guys that dyno'd elsewhere on DJ's and recorded lower numbers. I've seen some pretty wonky torque figures for S54's come off of his dyno too. SAE is typically about 2.6% lower (77* correction factor vs. 60*), so that would make it around 453 HP...still crazy power! Get that O2 changed and see if it picks up any power!
Perfectly possible, but I still expect to be higher than 465whp on a dynojet later this year
I should have dyno'd on a dynojet soon after getting it tuned, but the build was late for the track season and it was pure mayhem.

Even 465whp STD is a good chunk more than the Alekshop car so even if that were it I'd still be pretty happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #225
stosh1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW M3

Quote:
Perfectly possible, but I still expect to be higher than 465whp on a dynojet later this year
I should have dyno'd on a dynojet soon after getting it tuned, but the build was late for the track season and it was pure mayhem.

Even 465whp STD is a good chunk more than the Alekshop car so even if that were it I'd still be pretty happy.
Yessir, killer build/numbers for sure! I need to get my S54 to your engine builder-lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #226
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh1 View Post
Yessir, killer build/numbers for sure! I need to get my S54 to your engine builder-lol.
Now I'm dying to try 292 cams on the E92 (4.0L) with Bimmerworld headers and the Karbonius intake. I bet there's around 420whp in that combination which would feel pretty wild

As tuning continues to get refined for the S65 I expect builds will gain power. RK has done a great job for sure.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      09-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #227
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Now I'm dying to try 292 cams on the E92 (4.0L) with Bimmerworld headers and the Karbonius intake. I bet there's around 420whp in that combination which would feel pretty wild

As tuning continues to get refined for the S65 I expect builds will gain power. RK has done a great job for sure.
with 292 duration cams what would you expect the 4.0L to rev to? Any significant impact on driveability with cams (in general)?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #228
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
with 292 duration cams what would you expect the 4.0L to rev to? Any significant impact on driveability with cams (in general)?
I'd still rev it to 8600. The 292 is not that big in the grand scheme of things.

I haven't uses the 292 on a 4.0 but with the stroker there are zero issues. On the stroker i wish i could get bigger cams
Appreciate 2
911r887.50
      09-19-2020, 04:34 PM   #229
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'd still rev it to 8600. The 292 is not that big in the grand scheme of things.

I haven't uses the 292 on a 4.0 but with the stroker there are zero issues. On the stroker i wish i could get bigger cams
Interesting! My goal is 500hp (NA) to the crank—starting to research cams.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11462.00
      09-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #230
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Whenever the tuning thing is worked out I bet we'll see good amounts of power with bimmerworld headers + karbonius intake +292 cams
Appreciate 1
911r887.50
      09-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #231
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Whenever the tuning thing is worked out I bet we'll see good amounts of power with bimmerworld headers + karbonius intake +292 cams
That's what I'm hoping. Seems like a winning combination, and relatively inexpensive when compared to the cars you'll be competitive with on track...not to mention the driving experience.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11462.00
      09-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #232
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping. Seems like a winning combination, and relatively inexpensive when compared to the cars you'll be competitive with on track...not to mention the driving experience.
The real challenge is the tuning. Tuners are too busy printing money selling the same cookie cutter tune they bought in a package and don't want to actually develop anything

I'm working on it
Appreciate 3
911r887.50
Macpsi23.50
      09-19-2020, 09:05 PM   #233
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The real challenge is the tuning. Tuners are too busy printing money selling the same cookie cutter tune they bought in a package and don't want to actually develop anything

I'm working on it
Keep me in the loop! Have you reached out to Alex @ Alpine at all? Off the top of my head he's the only reputable tuner that would seem willing enough to develop a more niche tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 09:21 PM   #234
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Keep me in the loop! Have you reached out to Alex @ Alpine at all? Off the top of my head he's the only reputable tuner that would seem willing enough to develop a more niche tune.
I haven't. I'm not sure Alex has a lot of time on his hands to be screwing around with this stuff.

RK did a good job with the stroker tune and the 292s, even with a CEL for trashed primary O2 sensors I got 465whp std on plain old 93 on a dynojet.
If I had a 4.0 with 292 cams I'd take it to RK to help develop a file but I have enough entertainment in my life between the stroker track car and the F80 CS track car.

I also tried a remote tune with Epic which was an incredibly frustrating waste of time. ESS was willing to try as well but I'm so far from either of them. They're both capable but are they willing to put in the work? Because the work isn't one morning of dyno runs.

I suspect the tuners in general will just sit around for another 5 years until one person puts in the work, then all of a sudden they will all be 'inspired' by that software and come out with 'versions' of the same file.

Today 292 cams/headers/Karbonius seems very niche, but give it time and it won't be. There is plenty of money running around the world and plenty of people who have money but still choose to run a S65 because of how wonderful it is, the last NA engine BMW will ever build. In the E46 cams 'were for idiots' until they weren't, and now people with CSL/Karbonius airboxes, cams and headers have a ton of power

It is really frustrating that a smart group of random people built the MSSFlasher for the S65 and fully decrypted the ECU yet no tuner is taking advantage of this.
Appreciate 2
911r887.50
L4ces337.00
      09-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #235
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
I haven't. I'm not sure Alex has a lot of time on his hands to be screwing around with this stuff.

RK did a good job with the stroker tune and the 292s, even with a CEL for trashed primary O2 sensors I got 465whp std on plain old 93 on a dynojet.
If I had a 4.0 with 292 cams I'd take it to RK to help develop a file but I have enough entertainment in my life between the stroker track car and the F80 CS track car.

I also tried a remote tune with Epic which was an incredibly frustrating waste of time. ESS was willing to try as well but I'm so far from either of them. They're both capable but are they willing to put in the work? Because the work isn't one morning of dyno runs.

I suspect the tuners in general will just sit around for another 5 years until one person puts in the work, then all of a sudden they will all be 'inspired' by that software and come out with 'versions' of the same file.

Today 292 cams/headers/Karbonius seems very niche, but give it time and it won't be. There is plenty of money running around the world and plenty of people who have money but still choose to run a S65 because of how wonderful it is, the last NA engine BMW will ever build. In the E46 cams 'were for idiots' until they weren't, and now people with CSL/Karbonius airboxes, cams and headers have a ton of power

It is really frustrating that a smart group of random people built the MSSFlasher for the S65 and fully decrypted the ECU yet no tuner is taking advantage of this.
Totally agree. I was one that was lucky enough to benefit from the renaissance in the S54 world. That car with even just an air box and super sprint stepped headers was pretty eye opening. Stock they put down 285-290ish. The cam’d car I rode in was putting 360whp to the ground with only some minor low RPM stumbles. That car/tune was not complete when I rode in it, however. Cams, exhaust and an air box was all it was. Plus, of course, the mod linking it all and making it work - the tune.

Can’t wait for the S65 revolution to begin :-)
Appreciate 2
911r887.50
SYT_Shadow11462.00
      09-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #236
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Quote:

Totally agree. I was one that was lucky enough to benefit from the renaissance in the S54 world. That car with even just an air box and super sprint stepped headers was pretty eye opening. The cam'd car I rode in was putting 360whp to the ground with only some minor low RPM stumbles. That car/tune was not complete when I rode in it, however. Cams, exhaust and an air box was all it was.

Can't wait for the S65 revolution to begin :-)
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah..when I got into the E9x scene from E46 M3s I was surprised to see that more people aren't running intake, cams & headers. Can't wait for a tuner to come along and make an out of the box option. I remember reading old posts on M3forum (RIP) about putting hotter cams in an S54, and people said it was a waste of time. Now pretty much everyone going for power in an S54 throws cams in. Guess it's just a waiting game
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11462.00
      09-19-2020, 10:36 PM   #237
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Totally agree. I was one that was lucky enough to benefit from the renaissance in the S54 world. That car with even just an air box and super sprint stepped headers was pretty eye opening. Stock they put down 285-290ish. The cam’d car I rode in was putting 360whp to the ground with only some minor low RPM stumbles. That car/tune was not complete when I rode in it, however. Cams, exhaust and an air box was all it was. Plus, of course, the mod linking it all and making it work - the tune.

Can’t wait for the S65 revolution to begin :-)
Quote:
Yeah..when I got into the E9x scene from E46 M3s I was surprised to see that more people aren't running intake, cams & headers. Can't wait for a tuner to come along and make an out of the box option. I remember reading old posts on M3forum (RIP) about putting hotter cams in an S54, and people said it was a waste of time. Now pretty much everyone going for power in an S54 throws cams in. Guess it's just a waiting game
Exactly

One guy has been talking about something that is truly a step change in the S65 but it's still early for results. The day I get them I'll make sure to spread the word. No reason why we can't have 420-430whp S65s just with bolt ons
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 11:21 PM   #238
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

I eagerly await these developments!
And you and I have different definitions of “just bolt ons” haha!
Appreciate 1
Scharbag2619.00
      09-20-2020, 01:45 AM   #239
SYDAUSM3E92ZCP
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Exactly

One guy has been talking about something that is truly a step change in the S65 but it's still early for results. The day I get them I'll make sure to spread the word. No reason why we can't have 420-430whp S65s just with bolt ons
Wow, sounds very exciting! Please keep the fam up to date with developments!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11462.00
      01-25-2021, 08:34 PM   #240
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's a video of it at the track

Damn this engine runs HOT.
      01-25-2021, 08:35 PM   #241
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Damn this engine runs HOT.
Same temp as before the stroker. Reaching 3/4 of the temp gauge is pretty normal when running slicks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:39 PM   #242
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Same temp as before the stroker. Reaching 3/4 of the temp gauge is pretty normal when running slicks
Might explain why some run race spec 40 grade. This demo car sees around 117C (Racelogic CAN data) doing hot laps although on A052.