BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

05-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #23
Elaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92m

i did'nt say that no other wax besides zymol has it but for the most part more than 50% of the waxes out there don't have uv protectant.also if you go to there web site you'll see that it has all the info there.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #24
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

UV is the last thing you have to worry about hitting your paintjob

Depending on where you live acid rain, bird crap and environmental fallout are going to be the things that damage the paint the most

I wouldn't bother spending $$$$ for carnauba wax -- the cheaper stuff is fine for daily drivers.

Swisswax is for cars in collections that are kept in air conditioned warehouses -- waste of money for regular folk
      05-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

While Zymol is good, I don't look forward to waxing every 2 weeks because the wax has worn off. That's one thing I like about the Swissvax. I've been using the Blau Weiss and it lasts longer than any othe carnauba I've tried. Almost as long as some synthetic sealants I've used. So you get the look of carnauba while not giving up too much longevity. With a white car though, I'd probably just go with a synthetic because its really difficult to get a white car or silver car to really pop to the point where you'd notice a difference. Totally different story if we're talking about darker colors like black, blue or red.
      05-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #26
Elaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92m

Good point if your a daily driver i guess the swiss would be the better one.Fortunate for me my car will be coming out only on weekends if it dont rain. once i do my pcd on thursday this week.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #27
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
UV is the last thing you have to worry about hitting your paintjob

Depending on where you live acid rain, bird crap and environmental fallout are going to be the things that damage the paint the most
Absolutely not true. UV radiation is the PRIMARY issue you want to protect your car from. Thankfully our modern cars have UV protectors embedded in the clear coat, although excessive UV exposure leads to oxidation and premature clear coat failure, which looks like this:

Bird feces can always be polished out and environmental fallout can be removed with a clay bar. Clear coat failure 100% of the time requires a respray.

Last edited by eclipsisNA; 05-18-2010 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #28
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

I think it's hilarious people are suggesting other people use $100+ bottles of wax on a daily driven car.

Any off-the-shelf sealant or wax is going to go a long way to prevent oxidation as long as it is applied with ANY regularity (read, more than a few times a year).

I highly recommend checking out autopia.org and see what the pros are using over there on cars that are driven. Hint: it's *not* Swissvax or Zymol.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #29
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBringer View Post
I think it's hilarious people are suggesting other people use $100+ bottles of wax on a daily driven car.

Any off-the-shelf sealant or wax is going to go a long way to prevent oxidation as long as it is applied with ANY regularity (read, more than a few times a year).

I highly recommend checking out autopia.org and see what the pros are using over there on cars that are driven. Hint: it's *not* Swissvax or Zymol.
With all due respect, the pros have more to weigh than just getting "the best". At the same time some pros use certain chemicals as a marketing tool, more or less, and has little to do with performance. The point being that you can't speak in absolutes when it comes to car care and the pros.(there are more than one or two that use both Swissvax and Zymol products)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #30
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Claude View Post
With all due respect, the pros have more to weigh than just getting "the best". At the same time some pros use certain chemicals as a marketing tool, more or less, and has little to do with performance. The point being that you can't speak in absolutes when it comes to car care and the pros.(there are more than one or two that use both Swissvax and Zymol products)

Agreed. There are alot of pros that reserve Swissvax and other high priced waxes for their "premium services" because it's just not good business to use it on all cars. I also agree with the point about nothing being absolute. I've used a bunch of different waxes from $20 to $200. There are certain things about each one I like and dislike. It's just a matter of choosing the one that best fits your requirements.

Last edited by 808MGuy; 06-05-2010 at 03:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #31
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Zaino FTW
      06-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #32
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
While Zymol is good, I don't look forward to waxing every 2 weeks because the wax has worn off. That's one thing I like about the Swissvax. I've been using the Blau Weiss and it lasts longer than any othe carnauba I've tried. Almost as long as some synthetic sealants I've used. So you get the look of carnauba while not giving up too much longevity. With a white car though, I'd probably just go with a synthetic because its really difficult to get a white car or silver car to really pop to the point where you'd notice a difference. Totally different story if we're talking about darker colors like black, blue or red.

I have zymol concours and trust me if you have to re-wax every 2 weeks, you're doing something wrong. For me I do a good polish job just to prep the paint then I put on 2 coats of concours. That's usually good for 1-2 months with no touch up re-waxing (that's a daily driver 40000km in a year and a half). I could go longer but I love to watch the water bead and fly off my car at 40 km/h. the beading and sheeting is absolutely insane and we're not even talking about the really good zymol stuff like the royale or the vintage. the concours is basically a premium entry level wax compared to those 2. I'll definitively be buying the vintage at some point.

Anyway, people saying they're not impressed with zymol waxes have usually never tried them and are stuck on the price (not talking about 808MGuy, in my book swissvax and zymol are in the same league). I bought the zymol concours over a year ago (to see what the fuss was about) and I'm almost through with it (probably late this summer). That said I was waxing our 4 bmw's every month to keep them in better than showroom condition. so the little 8oz jar will probably have been good for at least 60 full car waxing (e70 x5 4.8is, e60 535xi, e90 M3 and e90 328xi). I do reserve the special treatment for the M3 (a generous 2 coats of wax every month).

cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #33
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Just used Prima Banana Gloss on my car over the weekend for the second time. This stuff is amazing for a one step product. Remarkably easy to work with, great shine, doesn't attract dust as much as carnauba waxes. Seems to last me close to 6 months. Never been a big fan of synthetics but LOVE this product.
      07-25-2010, 01:31 AM   #34
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
I have zymol concours and trust me if you have to re-wax every 2 weeks, you're doing something wrong. For me I do a good polish job just to prep the paint then I put on 2 coats of concours. That's usually good for 1-2 months with no touch up re-waxing (that's a daily driver 40000km in a year and a half). I could go longer but I love to watch the water bead and fly off my car at 40 km/h. the beading and sheeting is absolutely insane and we're not even talking about the really good zymol stuff like the royale or the vintage. the concours is basically a premium entry level wax compared to those 2. I'll definitively be buying the vintage at some point.

Anyway, people saying they're not impressed with zymol waxes have usually never tried them and are stuck on the price (not talking about 808MGuy, in my book swissvax and zymol are in the same league). I bought the zymol concours over a year ago (to see what the fuss was about) and I'm almost through with it (probably late this summer). That said I was waxing our 4 bmw's every month to keep them in better than showroom condition. so the little 8oz jar will probably have been good for at least 60 full car waxing (e70 x5 4.8is, e60 535xi, e90 M3 and e90 328xi). I do reserve the special treatment for the M3 (a generous 2 coats of wax every month).

cheers
Or maybe it just a matter of your climate compared with who you are talking to. By the way, Smart Wax FTW.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #35
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
Or maybe it just a matter of your climate compared with who you are talking to. By the way, Smart Wax FTW.
maybe climate plays a role as we don't get heat wave like the south of the USA. the highest temperatures this year were between 36 and 40 deg celsius
for around a week or 2. then back in the 20's deg celsius.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #36
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
I've tried many dozens of waxes and have performed durability tests on most of them, so I'd like to think I have a good idea about what constitutes a quality LSP. The two best waxes I've come across are as follows:

1. Pete's 53 (http://www.chemicalguys.com/HOW_AND_..._p/wac_300.htm)

A tremendous 'budget' wax that should last more than 4 months and brings out the glow of the flakes in metallic finishes.

2. Rubbish Boys Original Edition (http://www.carnaubawaxshop.co.uk/sho...p?product_id=1)

Another great wax, and although it is harder to apply than Pete's 53, it has a 3-4 month durability period.

Last edited by eclipsisNA; 07-25-2010 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0