BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

07-16-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
TheYoungConnoisseur
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Your car at the track

Question Anyone have a GT350???

First off, anyone have an e92 m3 and driven a gt350? just comparing the dynos the m3 had 250wtq from 3500 and up, the gt350 is 400+ from the same rpm. at 5250rpm the m3-250 and the gt350-400. izould imagine just lugging around town at 2-4k it would feel like the m3 was supercharged. Haven't had or driven an e9x in 2years now but I know I had fun in mine and if the gt350 motor is like that but more everywhere ill be happy...

Looking at a new 19 gt350 for 60grand. I have never owned a mustang and always hated them for the solid rear axel, bad brakes, heavy and low power. Im an ex pro road racer and driver coach and never drove a modified one at the track even, really only exotics and germans. I used to have a c6 z06 that I loved for a daily driver and would do occasional 10lap sprints when coaching at the track. It never overheated coolant or engine/diff/trans oil ever. Was going to gt a new 19 z06 manual but they still overheat with an intermediate driver, let alone someone who's going to be pushing it for its life....

So here comes the gt350, its got floating rotors and decent calipers, indy rear end, mechanical lsd, 530hp, but its pretty heavy at 3750. I think it COULD be the right car for me as a 5k mile yr daily driver between my home in Florida and house in country side of pa. I have heard of engine issues with these and some complains of oil temps by better than average drivers.

I want to know really what im getting into for this thing. I AM NOT LOOKING TO MAKE IT INTO A "TRACK CAR" but it NEEDS to be able to be driven 10/10ths by a pro for a solid 20minutes in 95* heat at PBIR/homestead Miami which are very hard on temps tracks (hi speed hi revs hi brake)

I dont want to do anything to this car just the basics reflash, tint, rbf600 lines pads and call it a day. Is this reasonable or do I need to get additional oil coolers and other things? I have also considered getting a GT performance pack for 43grand and putting 14k into it but I want a warranty, that's horrible for resale value as ill only have this car 1 yr max, plus im just completely and utterly burned out of working on and building race cars.

Im still not sure its the right car for me but sure would be practical IMO.

Im single and there will never be 3 people in the car and almost never 2 people. I dont load a bunch of crap and groceries for the week I can fit in 3 plastic bags so space and what other people would consider "practical" things like that are of zero concern to me.

The Gt350 sure seems to have lots of engine issue with piston slap and LOTS of people getting replacement motors with under 10k miles. Seems like a car that when the warranty is up you sell the car since the motor blowing would be 20grand.

Ive gone back and forth on a new z06 and the gt350 where I decided "ok for sure im getting the XXXXX" and then a few hrs later im like ok that was stupid Ill get the XXX and it will be smarter and happier decision..

really dont know what to do. Not getting a base C8, will likely get a c8Z in 2-3years anyways. Decided for sure I do NOT want anything used tho.

the z06 is 650hp/650tq stock. supposedly a nice 7 speed manual. great brakes, great suspension PLUS a t top which would be awesome as I hate convertibles but love the open top targa/aventador/lotus enclosed, open top type feel. appears extremely reliable and only partial issues are still hot trans temps on track. Cant get clear answers on the Vette forum but seeing as it overheats to anyone its going to be someone at my level. Im not going to short shift it to try and keep temps down, thats absurd. so it might need a cooler.

thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

I'll chime in on this. I've been looking around for a new car after my E92 got destroyed, and the GT350 was one of my top competitors after driving. I've decided I'm going to find another E92 after some consideration. Why? Because every bit of the E92 felt like care and effort was put into. The GT350 was only good because of the drivetrain. Just sitting in the E92 makes it feel special, while the Shelby felt like they took a rental car interior, then slapped in some bucket seats and a plaque. It's not offensive, but doesn't feel nice to just sit in it. The E92 also has some nice driving traits over the GT350, as well, but I would pick the driving experience of the GT350 between the two.

So my quick review. The engine and noise completely dominates the experience. Put it in loud mode, and just drive around doing some rev-match downshifts. The noise was making me giggle the entire time, it was just fantastic, even in traffic. Brakes are excellent and very immediate. Shifter was rifle-bolt feeling, the exact feeling you want. Steering is pretty decent, some feedback, but not even close to the E92. Clutch also had very little feeling on it.

I didn't take it on any real curves, but did get a chance to do a light launch because of a freeway on-ramp light. Revved it up to about 2500, slipped the clutch a little, and punched it. This is basically where my disappointment started. The noise made it exciting, but it didn't make it feel much, if any faster than my E92. I think the entire reason for this is how long the gears are. 1st goes to 55 mph, 2nd to 80. Now, once you're at freeway speeds and go hammer down, you can feel the additional power if you're in the right gear. In gear acceleration in 6th was completely pathetic. I was doing about 65 mph in 6th, put some throttle on, and... nothing happened. It straight up does not accelerate at low revs in a cruise. Worse, after one hard acceleration, smoke was actually coming out of the hood of the car!

Got back in my E92 after, and started noted some things. The brakes and shifter were definitely worse. I wanted more noise from it, as well (just a 2.5 pipe mod). Steering and clutch felt much better and more right. The E92 also felt much more playful, like it wants to rotate a little. It also felt much smaller and lighter (I know the weight difference isn't huge). Seriously, the GT350 is huge! Plus, in the E92, it felt like the entire car was a quality product.

Wrapping up, it was seriously fun to drive, and the only modern performance car I've driven that I'd actually buy. It can kind of fit 3 people, if you squish the passengers. But the engine issues have no known cause, and it feels like people are dumping them pretty fast. Only touch it with a good warranty. I'd personally would pick it if I lived my life on the track. But on the street and for special occasions, I'd pick the E92.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2019, 09:48 PM   #3
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 M3

I’ve driven both as well and all most bought a gt350 and still want one to this day but I think it’s best as a second car vs a daily even though it can be a daily. I agree with shrike on so many points.. the e92 although I have a e93 but have driven a few e92 stick and dct , feels a lot more refined especially in build quality. I personally don’t like the stock feel on Manual e92 or most bmw manuals to be honest and the gt350 I felt was miles ahead in that department, the shifter feel was one of the best I’ve tried... clutch was lighter than I prefer but that seems to be how newer cars are these days. For me the gt350 was no doubt quicker and more exciting to drive. Once it hit 5500rpm it just flys where I find the m3 more linear throughout the range.. I found myself short shifting early in the stang as like Shrike was saying the gearing is long and just mentally you think you need to shift but really there is 1500 more rpm to go lol.. due to the huge front tires the car jigs and chives at every bump which can start to get a bit annoying, at least to me.. felt like the alignment was out.. the sound well both are one of the best sounding cars made and especially for the money.. long term reliability isn’t 100% proven yet although most say that engine with all the vibration may not last that long... time will tell. I’m not sure in the states but here in Canada they have held there value very well. 2016 are around 60k -65k used and have been like that for the last year and a bit. I’ve tracked all sales in Canada for over a year straight, some are now in the 56k-60 range but most over 60k.. interior is a bit better than most say I felt with some nice touches like the Alcantara steering wheel and gauge pods etc and the 2017 on had softer materials on the doors etc although not advertised by ford but it’s there. If I had a daily truck or other car I would take the gt350 easily over a m3 but if it was just my one car the m3 is a much better car I think. Honestly test drive a gt350 as it’s just a great experience even if you don’t buy one. Both cars I think will be worth money in time... or should I say both will appreciate over time due to there engaging driving experience. All I can say is I still want one and will hopefully get one soon. Gt350 that is.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:31 AM   #4
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

I think the best way to describe the interior on the car is; it didn't offend me, but it didn't impress me.Except for the center line stitching on the steering wheel of the car I drove, that bugged me. It looked like "/ |". The other thing to consider is if you travel and get a rental Mustang convertible, and note the similarities. Think if that would bother you. I know someone may comment about the M3 vs a 328i interior, but the M3 felt like a good step up from my previous 335i. The best advice would be to climb inside one, and see if it suits you.

As someone with another car, I'm still more interested in another E92, simply because the interior feels like a special place to be (I'm looking particularly for extended Fox Red cars to help with this). I want a car that I want to take out for special occasions, or for pleasant back road blasts, and only occasionally hit the track. I think the M3 excels at that. To me, the GT350 feels like a car best suited for a full out assault on the road or track, and it will feel fantastic doing that.

One final note, driven a few modern performance cars over the past few months between me and my friend. This includes a 718 Boxster, an F80 M3 and a C63S among them. The GT350 is only new car I've driven that felt like it had actual character. I would take it over those other cars, even with the hang ups I have.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

OP I suggest you take a look at an M3 or M4 CS. They're not expensive brand new right now and require few mods to be very fast. Basically camber plates and track pads and you're good to go.

The C7 Z06... I had a student at the Glen that was quite slow in the beginner group and even they were complaining about heat soak... no thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

I drove one back to back with my M3, it was bonkers fun. The engine is incredible. Dynamically the M3 feels more natural, but less of an event. If you search there are some threads comparing the two, I posted a mini review in one of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #7
TheYoungConnoisseur
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
OP I suggest you take a look at an M3 or M4 CS. They're not expensive brand new right now and require few mods to be very fast. Basically camber plates and track pads and you're good to go.

The C7 Z06... I had a student at the Glen that was quite slow in the beginner group and even they were complaining about heat soak... no thank you

It is my understanding that what people are calling "heat soak" is actually a program in the car stock that makes it run super rich to prevent the cats from overheating. so from what I understand people are doing is de-cats with this program turned off in the eco during a flash and there's no issues with that.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
TheYoungConnoisseur
Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE!

Well thanks for the words...

I ended up buying a flawless gt350R with some mods done and had it delivered. took it for a 5mile spin down the road and instantly knew I was unhappy. I put another 15miles on it and while it does everything right. literally, does everything right. I just cant come to owning a mustang. it sounds like shit. and while it made awesome top end power it deff made no more bottom end power just driving around at 1-3500ish than my m3.

Apparently they are great cars tho if you can get over the fact that everyone things your 80k ultra rare 1 of 49 car is just another stupid gym bro asshole driving a straight piped 17k$ mustang. I sold it 5days after owning it and having only driven it for 30min that first day.

it is NOT what I was expecting. really it wasnt. It does however deliver the goods as promised.
Im not a "vette" guy but im replacing it with either another c6 z06 or zr1 shortly
Appreciate 1
Not Sure212.50
      08-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Do yourself a favor and buy a C7. Miles ahead of the C6 in pretty much every way. Prices on them are quite reasonable, and the dealers are throwing crazy incentives on the table because of the C8s showing up in January.

If you want something that can handle track use without any fuss, or you just like the widebody look, get a Grand Sport.
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      08-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #10
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungConnoisseur View Post
UPDATE!

Well thanks for the words...

I ended up buying a flawless gt350R with some mods done and had it delivered. took it for a 5mile spin down the road and instantly knew I was unhappy. I put another 15miles on it and while it does everything right. literally, does everything right. I just cant come to owning a mustang. it sounds like shit. and while it made awesome top end power it deff made no more bottom end power just driving around at 1-3500ish than my m3.

Apparently they are great cars tho if you can get over the fact that everyone things your 80k ultra rare 1 of 49 car is just another stupid gym bro asshole driving a straight piped 17k$ mustang. I sold it 5days after owning it and having only driven it for 30min that first day.

it is NOT what I was expecting. really it wasnt. It does however deliver the goods as promised.
Im not a "vette" guy but im replacing it with either another c6 z06 or zr1 shortly
Not to step on any toes, but did you not drive one before throwing down $80k?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Not to step on any toes, but did you not drive one before throwing down $80k?
+1 to this, but having shopped for GT350s you would not believe how ridiculous the dealers were about interested buyers even SITTING in them, let alone driving them.
      08-11-2019, 10:23 PM   #12
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

ford is treating them like gold for some reason. even here in california where $100k cars are common.
i think part of it is not wanting 4,000 of the hardest test drive miles you can imagine being on a "new" car. i certainly wouldn't.
a friend of mine bought a gt350 that sat locked in a showroom for a little over a year on a battery tender. i wouldn't want that either... can you imagine how dry that first cold start would be? lol
      08-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #13
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

C7 Grandsport.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0