BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

Mporium BMW

02-06-2021, 09:59 PM   #1
bosse92m3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Where to get battery Melbourne M3

Hi guys, I keep getting the battery discharge warnings and in need of a new battery, I m thinking the 90ah 850cca agm battery.
As far as I know that Is the biggest size available now for these cars.
Bmw has them for about $670 plus programming as I am going up in battery capacity.
Is there anywhere else in Melbourne where we can get these batteries or something equivalent for a better price?
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 03:25 AM   #2
Fezza
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3

Battery discharge warnings could mean a module has become faulty and is stopping the car from sleeping. I had this issue with my EDC module, replaced it and all is good now. Check for fault codes to ensure there isn't an underlying fault with a module.

Another way to test is to time how long it takes for the start button light to turn off when you unlock and lock the car. If the start button light goes out within 30 seconds then you're ok, otherwise a module has become faulty and is stopping the car from sleeping.

If you end up needing a new battery, get the century 80ah AGM one from supercheap which is much cheaper, but you'll need to code it into your car so it knows it's a 80ah instead of 90.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2021, 01:18 AM   #3
bosse92m3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezza View Post
Battery discharge warnings could mean a module has become faulty and is stopping the car from sleeping. I had this issue with my EDC module, replaced it and all is good now. Check for fault codes to ensure there isn't an underlying fault with a module.

Another way to test is to time how long it takes for the start button light to turn off when you unlock and lock the car. If the start button light goes out within 30 seconds then you're ok, otherwise a module has become faulty and is stopping the car from sleeping.

If you end up needing a new battery, get the century 80ah AGM one from supercheap which is much cheaper, but you'll need to code it into your car so it knows it's a 80ah instead of 90.
Thanks mate, I had the car checked out and they are saying it s the battery not holding charge, I had thought it could have been the edc module too, I will try the start button test today! The battery is only 4-5 years old at the moment.
I was also looking at the supercharge brand agm MF88h batteries. They are nearly half price and claim even better statistics in cca than the one Bmw is selling. Have you had any experience with these batteries? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 04:26 AM   #4
kmli5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Hey mate,

I was in the exact same boat as you. Occasionally has the battery discharge warning, took the car for long drives to charge, battery still could not get above 11.8V. Although the car still starts fine (bit more rev fluctuating at cold start).

Anyway, I thought the car had the originally battery and finally on it's last leg. I went and looked at the service history from previous owner and looked at the battery date, it was replaced at BMW 4 years ago in 2017. These AGM battery just does not last as long as you thought.

Mine was the 80AH, the cheapest I could fine was $500 for Varta, which wasn't too bad. Because the car still starts and it is not a daily, I had time to search for better deal. Best thing I bought no shit, was a very good condition 2nd hand AGM battery from a battery guy (he sources them practically brand new from wreck). Costed me $130 with 3 month warranty. The condition was 785CCA from original 800, staying at 12.94V. Mind you it was a Mercedes AGM battery. But it is the same thing, all 80AH AGM are the same size. And as long as you are getting the same AH, it works without coding or registration.

The result was perfect, voltage remains at 12.6v connected to the car. And with new battery, cold start was noticeably less rev fluctuating. Car now idles at 550-600rpm (was constantly at 700-800rpm before because of the low battery voltage . Clutch in and rev climb back to 700-800rpm, take off is much smoother.

I did some research, AGM battery likes to be constantly charged or topped up. And with mine it was not a daily and I did not have a trickle charger. And my car was a weekender, and half the time the car is accelerating, battery is not being charged because alternator disconnects plus BMW is heavy in using battery power. So after 4 years, battery is good as dead.

So now it is on a trickle charger when not being driven. Hope this helps mate. I am in Melbourne if you need a hand.

Oh and those supercharged MF88h battery, I don't think they are AGM. Hence the price difference. All e9x M3 has AGM.
      02-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #5
Fezza
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3

When I replaced my battery in 2019 when I got the car I noticed the car still had its original battery from the factory based on the production date (2011), so it lasted a good 8 years. I agree it all depends if the car is a weekender or daily. I use a CTEK charger when it doesn't get driven much.
Appreciate 0